Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjecta question about magazine cover design
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=96760
96760, a question about magazine cover design
Posted by .Mica., Tue Feb-27-07 10:36 PM
its been bothering me for a while...

how does people magazine or other mags get their logo behind the head of a celeb in a picture?

i get that if the celeb is, say, standing in front of a white background, they just call up the logo in photoshop and put in in a layer behind the picture of the celeb, but if its a real photo with a real background then i dont get how this is done.

enlighten me, please.
96761, There's a tool that let's you cut out the background
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Tue Feb-27-07 10:40 PM
Kinda like how you could physically cut out a picture of a person in a mag with scissors so it's just the person with no background at all.

Or you could just erase the background rather than cut the subject out.

I dunno about the shit like that, but here's an example.

Here's an example:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshop/l/blrbps_1jet.htm
Posted by .Mica., Tue Feb-27-07 10:48 PM
im talking about more like how do they do this:

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/US/04/09/time.cover/story.time.cover.jpg

the lockers in the background arent photoshopped in, so how do you keep the lockers there and also add the time logo so its behind the cover model's head?

the hell of it is i know there is a really simple answer that i just havent thought of yet.
96763, i would..
Posted by tynie626, Tue Feb-27-07 11:00 PM
have 3 layers.. top layer would be the girl cut out with no backgroud, second layer would be the girl, and the third layer would be the whole picture of the girl with the locker background
96766, u mean second layer is the logo?
Posted by .Mica., Tue Feb-27-07 11:08 PM
and yeah that makes ALOT of sense, you are a genius. thanks :-)
96767, yep..
Posted by tynie626, Tue Feb-27-07 11:12 PM
second layer would be the logo.. :)

genius... maybe on a good day, but ordinarily i am a fiddler...

fiddler= person who is obsessed with tinkering..lol
96835, that's how we do it.
Posted by smutsboy, Wed Feb-28-07 11:44 AM
>have 3 layers.. top layer would be the girl cut out with no
>backgroud, second layer would be the girl, and the third layer
>would be the whole picture of the girl with the locker
>background

you take the original photo and make a new file with a clipping path around the part you want to show up in front of the logo. (i.e. in your example you don't need to draw a clipping path around the entire girl, just around her head.)

Then in Quark or indesign or whatever you first place the original photo, then the logo, then the clipping path file on top. the clipping path file only needs to be her head plus a little extra around the sides. then align that file perfectly on top of the original photo when you bring them into your layout (or Photoshop) file.
96906, ah good stuff, thanks. you said 'thats how we do it' are you in
Posted by .Mica., Wed Feb-28-07 09:45 PM
the magazine design business?

and how long would you think top professionals take to do all of that (the clipping, the adding of the logo, the making sure its ready to print)?

like mere minutes or a good amount of time?
96971, It depends on the silhouetting of the photo
Posted by smutsboy, Thu Mar-01-07 10:32 AM
Putting the layers together doesn't take much time at all. But what can take a while is silo'ing the part of the photo that's meant to go in front of the logo. It's all about how complex the edge of the silo is. If it's someone's wavy, frizzy hair, that shit is impossible. If it's a clean, close crop hair cut with a clean line around it, it's easy. As someone mentioned below, the more contrast between the background and the foreground, the easier your job is.

And yeah, I work in the industry. I work for a small publishing company in NYC that puts out specialty magazines you've never heard of.

96841, there gotta be a contrast b/t subject & bkgrd
Posted by BreezeBoogie, Wed Feb-28-07 12:08 PM
but you can google to find a tutorials on selecting a subject. better yet, search for a tutorial on selecting hair. once you've sucessfully selected the subject and placed him/or her on their own layer, just place the logo on a layer underneath it.
96908, How it's done (in a nutshell)
Posted by rorschach, Wed Feb-28-07 10:29 PM
You start off with the picture in two identical layers. On the top layer you can trace around the foreground image so the background is selected. After you have the background selected, you just erase everything in that layer. If you do it right, the erasing will leave what you want. You make a new transparent layer with your logo and put that layer in between the image layers.

I'm sure there are some shortcuts but I don't know them.

"Being the bigger man is overrated." -- Huey (The Boondocks)

myspace.com/dozingoff
96956, It's a pain... but it's about layers
Posted by no.doze, Thu Mar-01-07 08:45 AM
Quark XPress (the most common print layout app) is a pain in general...
96958, InDesign's kinda taken over now
Posted by ternary_star, Thu Mar-01-07 08:55 AM
i don't use either one a lot but i do know that Quark is basically dead and InDesign's easier to use
96969, we're stuck with Quark 6.5
Posted by smutsboy, Thu Mar-01-07 10:27 AM
the IT "consultants" at our office convinced management to stick with Quark. So when we did our big software upgrade, we went to Quark 6.5, not to indesign. I was so mad.

Some people have been saying Quark is better for publishing (books, magazines, large documents, etc), but I don't believe it.