Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectwill the 360 ever get INNOVATIVE Games ??
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=74722
74722, will the 360 ever get INNOVATIVE Games ??
Posted by Seoul Brova, Wed Sep-06-06 12:43 AM
dont get me wrong, im lovin (no homo) the 360 now that saints row is out (despite its loud ass fan, and once in a while freezing problem).

but are there going to be any 'different' types of games ?

something along the lines of ico,shadow of colossus, okami, and to a lesser degree katamari? hell okami almost made me wish i kept my ps2 just off a demo.

gears of war, halo, they all look great but theyre all games that we always see, 3rd person shooters or FPS.

didnt ms try to get original with blinx and oddworld?

if they released something like shadow with next gen power, it could be great.
74727, By "innovative" I guess you mean Japanese *chuckles*
Posted by kwez, Wed Sep-06-06 01:54 AM
And in that case, no.
74728, Why was this necessary?
Posted by BeholdMe Resurrected, Wed Sep-06-06 02:50 AM
>dont get me wrong, im lovin (no homo) the 360

Like, seriously... tell me why
74818, LMAO @ the username
Posted by placee_22, Wed Sep-06-06 01:19 PM
is this the real BeholdMe or just an homage ?
74733, wtf?
Posted by HighVoltage, Wed Sep-06-06 06:28 AM
this was never an issue with the 360.

Saints Row comes out, and it borrows from GTA, and now all the sudden there aren't any innovative 360 games? gtfohwtbs.

what, you want these developpers to create new genres? thats asking a lot dude.

The 360 has plenty of solid games that offer new twists in their genres. Dead Rising, while doesnt look like much on the surface, is a pretty unique game once you really play it. Condemned and Call of Duty 2 pushed the first person genre further than similar games have gone before. Oblivion really was the first RPG that played like a first person action game. The whole character morphing of Kameo had never really been done before in a platform game (that game is heavily slept on btw). And upcoming 360 games like Viva Pinata, Shadowbane and Portal are wildly unique.

This post is retarded. Why single out the 360 when its same crop of games that are being released on ALL systems, including current gen.

I mean, really, what more do you want? If you desperately want to try new or wild shit, then Japan-exlusive games are your market. Over there, there are a lot of strange games that never see the light of day in america because the shit is too wierd and they know it wont sell in the States.
74790, no it wasn't
Posted by ronin soul, Wed Sep-06-06 11:42 AM
Oblivion really
>was the first RPG that played like a first person action game.

74750, Hmm
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Wed Sep-06-06 08:57 AM
If you like that kinda stuff, why'd you get a 360? You could have got a DS and like 8 games for the same price.

Most of what you'll see on 360 will either be ports of PC games, or stuff from EA or Ubisoft that's on every system anyway. You won't be seeing a ton of Japanese games on a system that is a failure in Japan.

There is some interesting stuff coming down the road like Portals, but you probably should have kept your PS2 if you like Japanese games. Hell, buy a new one, they're only $130 and there are still a bunch of great games coming to the system like Yakuza and God of War 2. Or you could just wait til Wii drops and get that.
74791, lol
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Sep-06-06 11:48 AM
except that you know thats not true, there have been a bunch of odd japanese games announced for the 360 already.

whether or not any of them will be as good as katamari or ico remains to be seen, but to pretend you don't know about the games is just disingenuous.

FREE CHAI VANG!

YOU'VE READ MY FILE NIGGA (c) Jack 'Mufuckin' Bauer

http://rjcc.stumbleupon.com - what I'm looking at

www.hdbeat.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
74808, Well, I just assumed we were talking about good games
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Wed Sep-06-06 12:42 PM
or at least stuff that is actually coming to the states, because that stripping school girl simulator or whatever you posted sure ain't.

Even if you were counting all the Japanese published 360 games, they would pale in comparison to Sony’s offerings, to say nothing of Nintendo which will have more weird stuff than you can shake a Wiimote at.

I think if 360 is going to get some good alternative games it will probably come from American or European devs doing something different (like Portals) or from XBLA.

74826, I think its impossible to say good or not at this point
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Sep-06-06 01:44 PM
If someone told you "yeah, there's this game where you roll a fucking ball...yahe that it, thats all you do" you wouldn't have been like "sounds like a great game"

ou're basically comparing the complete unknown to established franchises.

I don't care where the games come from as long as they're good, and I think, given a roughly equal market position, the 360 has more potential than the ps3, altho we'll see how that "linux on the hdd" thing works out.

FREE CHAI VANG!

74827, as long as they games are good [read:fun] i'll pay 60 bucks a pop.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Sep-06-06 02:05 PM
fuck it.
74831, That's all well and good but
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Wed Sep-06-06 02:33 PM
All I'm saying is that in the same way you wouldn't buy a PC and expect great fighting games, you don't get a MS system and expect quirky Japanese games. If you want that, DS, Wii and PS2 are your best bets.
74835, word up. if you want mainstream games 360 is the way to go.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Sep-06-06 02:50 PM
if you want weird ass games that japanese bape wearin teens dig get a wii, psp or ps2/3...
74840, I'd say 360 is more PCish than mainstream
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Wed Sep-06-06 03:03 PM
but that depends on what you consider mainstream.
74875, I wouldn't argue that at all
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Sep-06-06 06:05 PM
the very question is absurd.

I'm jsut saying that 2 years down the road, it's very hard to say right now who will be leading in quirky games this gen (nintendo gets its fanboys votes, but they have to prove they can get 3rd party support period to begin with), and as soul said, its impossible ot expect the quirky small market games this soon

FREE CHAI VANG!

74882, ^ Ryde or Die Bitch
Posted by will_5198, Wed Sep-06-06 07:06 PM
74770, You really do mean Japanese games I see...
Posted by Lach, Wed Sep-06-06 10:05 AM
But that has to come from 3rd party Japanase developers. And we're starting to see trickles come from Capcom and Konami. But if these developers start to see the PS3 really struggle, you can surely bet you'll see them start coming full force to 360.
74775, all the games you mentioned came out years after the PS2
Posted by soul creator, Wed Sep-06-06 10:55 AM
except for Ico (which was a little over a year after the japanese launch of the PS2). The things is, the PS2 userbase was already kinda huge, so you're likely to have a higher percentage of "innovation". There was nothing necessarily inherent in the PS2 itself that caused it to happen.

If 360 becomes the new PS2 saleswise, you'll get more "innovation". In the meantime, go play The Outfit.

--
what sig are you looking at, sugar tits?
74792, basically, you won't see those titles
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Sep-06-06 11:50 AM
at launch.

and people act like w/ xbox live arcade and the xna thing letting people make thier own games there aren't more ideas out there.

FREE CHAI VANG!

74810, FUCK...people need to stop complaining...
Posted by jetblack, Wed Sep-06-06 12:45 PM
the 360 has FPS up the WAHZOO...Sports Games (MADDEN)....GTA-STYLE MADNESS(StsRow)..Etc..Et Al...

Want more games? get em for your PC or Intel Mac...upgrade that Graphics Card and MAX OUT THAT RAM.

WHO gives a fuck about innovation in games?!!?!? When developers do offer something shiny and new muhfuckas are laissez faire...they crank out the same shit why? it's safe. Businesses do what safe to make money...

same folks buy Madden EVERY FUCKING YEAR...complaining every year about NEW FEATURES! WTF? LOL play last year's Madden then...llol

smh

Get a DS , PSP, PS3, Wii, and 360 if you really want choice and/or innovation and STOP COMPLAINING.

WLAN SAKES!

smh
74874, this post should be over after this ^^
Posted by ronin soul, Wed Sep-06-06 05:50 PM
74887, RE: FUCK...people need to stop complaining...
Posted by Seoul Brova, Wed Sep-06-06 07:25 PM
you MUST have not played Madden.

that shit is garbage. how does a next gen game have less features than current gen? im just talking about simple gameplay needs like smart hot routes and defensive playmaker.

and i'm not saying i want NOTHING BUT quirky ass games. i'm just asking if there's anything thats going to come out because on the xbox, i dont remember anything being as good or in the same vein as an ico or katamari.

to say, "you shouldnt have bought a 360 and expected quirky games" is bullshit. so you're telling me a 360 is a 400 dollar port box and i should just expect pc or ps3 ports?

fuck outta here, i'm having fun with some of the 360 games but it wouldn't hurt to have some 'different' options every once in a while.
74891, i rest my case. /nm/
Posted by jetblack, Wed Sep-06-06 07:47 PM
74893, i rest my case. /nm/
Posted by Seoul Brova, Wed Sep-06-06 07:51 PM
i suppose uno is on some other shit.
74898, 360 sucks man. you ain't gon get no real answers in here
Posted by Galatasaray, Wed Sep-06-06 08:23 PM
cause too many niggas trying justify their purchase so they scared to admit the shit been corny so far
the original xbox never had good games except for halo
the whole thing was GRAPHICS and as u can see that is the only redeeming factor so far wit the 360
but what about when the PS3 comes out wit equal or better graphics AND better games?
360 got no chance
u will never see innovative games for 360 imo
it's a mainstream american system
u'll only see rehashed PS2 classics and madden
74912, #11
Posted by jetblack, Wed Sep-06-06 09:20 PM
74913, one
Posted by Seoul Brova, Wed Sep-06-06 09:21 PM
thing ima miss is the rumble.

shit seems like its nothing but it enhances the enjoyment.

using the hit stick on madden, forcing a fumble, but not having the controller vibrate? maaaaan....
74915, i'm waiting for dude to admit he wants Loco Roco. /nm/
Posted by jetblack, Wed Sep-06-06 09:58 PM
74919, RE: i'm waiting for dude to admit he wants Loco Roco. /nm/
Posted by Seoul Brova, Wed Sep-06-06 11:13 PM
actually, i'd rather have that shit than the lame ass games they try to pass off on live.

you must have been one of the doods who were playing geometry wars on your 400+ dollar 360 until saints row dropped.

fuck outta here bein complacent with nothing but ports.

what kind of logic says, "dont complain because you shouldnt expect anything innovative from MS."

you must also happily still drive a chevy.
74921, ^playin LocoRoco. smh /nm/
Posted by jetblack, Wed Sep-06-06 11:33 PM
74922, ^ on xbox live
Posted by Seoul Brova, Wed Sep-06-06 11:58 PM
playing 'next gen' uno trying to up his gamer rep
74925, LOL
Posted by jetblack, Thu Sep-07-06 12:12 AM
74920, you know why?
Posted by PlanetInfinite, Wed Sep-06-06 11:32 PM

>something along the lines of ico,shadow of colossus, okami,
>and to a lesser degree katamari? hell okami almost made me
>wish i kept my ps2 just off a demo.
>

name one of those titles that made a shitload of money.

>gears of war, halo, they all look great but theyre all games
>that we always see, 3rd person shooters or FPS.
>

think about how much money this will make.

>didnt ms try to get original with blinx and oddworld?

and look where that got em. blinx is now an inside joke among game reviewers and oddworld is a shame because stranger's wrath was a great game and a sleeper.

>
>if they released something like shadow with next gen power, it
>could be great.

not now. they gotta wait to get a good foothold on the competition before they start going through they "game of passion" phase. think about it. a few of those games up above were released in the last 2-3 years of ps2's lifespan. which is still going on btw.

common sense. it's what makes money. good games that aren't really innovative in the outside packaging. but maybe in mechanics. this shit is just the rap game basically.

---------------------
the ultimate girl gamer.
http://www.myspace.com/thievinstealberg
http://stereoptics.blogspot.com
74926, i said this shit in #11 cotdamlet. /nm/
Posted by jetblack, Thu Sep-07-06 12:13 AM
74929, i thought you was gonna say something about new g8 mac towers.
Posted by PlanetInfinite, Thu Sep-07-06 01:35 AM
or some shit.

---------------------
the ultimate girl gamer.
http://www.myspace.com/thievinstealberg
http://stereoptics.blogspot.com
74931, haha, I thought I was the only one who noticed this
Posted by soul creator, Thu Sep-07-06 01:41 AM
>this shit is just the rap game basically.

--
what sig are you looking at, sugar tits?