Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectCan Dell computers GAME game?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=62187
62187, Can Dell computers GAME game?
Posted by 13Rose, Mon Apr-24-06 03:34 PM
I'm saying I've been working with computers my cousin builds basically and with them I just go online and download anime. I'm looking into doing the online gaming thing (esp. FPS and RPGs). Can I get a Dell to rock on that level or do I have to get some Expensive Shit (c) Fela ?
62188, Yeah, and I'm forced to get Dells
Posted by Lach, Mon Apr-24-06 03:46 PM
because of my company contract. I'd rather go with something else, but they aren't too bad. http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_600?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
62193, depends on what you're getting..
Posted by ronin soul, Mon Apr-24-06 04:30 PM
the minimum requirements for most games are usually not that high.
62298, At the same time, you don't want to run on min requirements
Posted by Lach, Tue Apr-25-06 03:21 PM
Because all the good games will fuck up on you. Believe me, I had Unreal running on min and it fucked up.
62466, yup, i've tried, it sucks
Posted by ronin soul, Wed Apr-26-06 07:58 PM
62196, yes you need to specify what games
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Mon Apr-24-06 05:03 PM

dell has high end systems they are just outrageously over priced

heres a compairson

my friend bought the dual core pentium with the 850xt pe ati video card and 2 gigs of ddr2.

the price was like 3700 bucks.

now you could build a dual core amd system which is gonna kick the shit out of any pentium for half that.

so yes you can buy high end systems from dell but i wouldnt suggest it. if you are dropping 2g's plus on a system build it yourself.
62234, RE: Can Dell computers GAME game?
Posted by wallysmith, Mon Apr-24-06 11:24 PM
also depends on how "l33t" you want your shit to be
cuz if you're not too crazy on spending dough, they got some GREAT deals....

www.spoofee.com always is up on the newest dell deals and a buncha other ones too

i just got a dell through spoofee a couple weeks ago for ~650 after tax and shipping: E510 series, 2.8 dual core, 1gig DDR, 80 gig HDD, dual dvd/cd-rw drive set up, weak graphics card, ok sound card, 19" lcd...

i've been running oblivion pretty solidly on low graphic settings, but with a mid-high graphics card upgrade it would be completely legit, all for less than a G and running one of the top system intensive games out there

im definitely not well-versed with computers, but a dell wouldnt be a bad option for a decent price... extremely easy to upgrade, and they ship FAST
62374, related question: is it really needed to have high end specs for games
Posted by 58impala, Wed Apr-26-06 12:54 AM
(i didnt want to make a post about this)

62380, RE: related question: is it really needed to have high end specs for games
Posted by Nopayne, Wed Apr-26-06 07:14 AM
not really. buying high end just ensures that your system will stay relevant long enough to play newer games.
===========================================
-Me

<----What OKP is listening to this week.
62410, since you can adjust graphics settings
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Wed Apr-26-06 12:21 PM

no you dont have to have the high end.

i built a computer over 3 years ago and play the shit out of bf2 on low....
62465, has anybody tried to overclock a Dell before?
Posted by ronin soul, Wed Apr-26-06 07:57 PM
i have a Dell Dimension 4300, runs at 1.6GHz, i heard i can get it to at least 2GHz by overclocking it. Has anybody ever tried?
62510, from previous experiences with dell mobo's
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Thu Apr-27-06 10:06 AM
the mobo's and bios in dell computers fucking blow...

but of course it depends on the model

what kind of processor is it a p4?

and if its a p4 you dont want to OC it