Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectPlease Help Me (web site creation)...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=49715
49715, Please Help Me (web site creation)...
Posted by brownivy, Sun Jan-15-06 02:00 PM
I am currently building a website for two reasons:

1) I want an on-line portfolio for my art work.
2) I am starting a small business selling art.

Barring a few classes in college a very long time ago (6 years) and the first 4 chapters of the HTML book I'm reading right now (in which I learned a pretty good overview of the raw basics), I am completely ignorant of how to create a website.

I have gotten my domains, my web host, set up my emails and ftps, conceptually laid out exactly how I want my website to be formatted page-wise, and learned a little of how to use NVU (I am considering FrontPage but I figure it would be a waste with my current knowledge)...

Can someone please point me in the direction of some helpful web sites or literature that may specifically be related to creating an artist's web site, or perhaps offer some of their scaled-down (read: dumbed-down)expertise in the matter?

Thanks in advance.
49761, Tip 1: Ditch Front Page
Posted by Nabs, Sun Jan-15-06 07:13 PM
I personally prefer Dreamweaver, but I guess anything is better than FP.
Posted by mc_delta_t, Mon Jan-16-06 04:40 AM
49824, Thanks...
Posted by brownivy, Mon Jan-16-06 10:10 AM
I've been waivering on the Front Page thing...it looks kind of cookie-cutter and Dreamweaver looks much more technical...

I don't know...I figure I'll get my practice on NVU, learn html to the best, build a pleasant place-holder site to get things going, then fork over some $$$ for the high-powered software so I can really get in there...

I do have an old crack of Dreamweaver but its prolly way outdated by now...
49898, I actually installed Dreamweaver on my iPod.
Posted by Invisiblist, Mon Jan-16-06 07:33 PM
Now all I do is go to
Programs->Macromedia->Dreamweaver
then press "play"

INSTANT WEBSITE! Be careful not to pull out your headphones, though, or it'll pause the HTML and CSS coding.
50010, I would look at CMS
Posted by kobe085, Tue Jan-17-06 01:44 PM
like civicspace (or drupal)

they have some good cookie cutter templates for different types of sites (like online portfolios)

that way you're just modifying the aesthetic of the site rather than all the technical underpinnings of keeping it functioning / easily upgradeable

Reggie Bush, replacing Ahman Green since 2006
50080, Thanks,
Posted by brownivy, Wed Jan-18-06 08:27 AM
...but I need more control with the structure and format of the site.

Plus, I'm finding that I rather enjoy all the technical underpinnings...it actually gives you more breathing room in the long run.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to become a programmer anytime soon, but I like the challenge in designing my own space, my own graphical outlines and such...there's more meat in it.

But thank you.

I will give your suggestions look-see :-)
50153, For Mac users (in case anyone else is having issues)
Posted by FireBrand, Wed Jan-18-06 09:20 PM
Rapid Weaver:

http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/index.php

That shit is easy as hell.

<---Our daily bread.
My "space":
www.northernarc.net
http://www.myspace.com/northernarcatl