Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectI have a plasma too!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=306318&mesg_id=306334
306334, I have a plasma too!
Posted by jimaveli, Thu Jul-21-22 04:43 PM
Its 55" and it is STILL my living room TV. Panasonic of course. 10 years old at least. And still kicking with no drama (knock on wood).

It is mainly getting watched by everyone else in the house but me now. We're not playing video games on it anymore either. It will probably be the last TV I replace in the house real talk. And its not leaving my house while it is still working. I will find a place for it! For now? It's just fine where it is. And since there's basically no apps on it, its perfect for my inlaws, wife, and kid to use without me having to be tech support. They turn it on, turn to whatever channel they want on cable, turn up the sound-bar (never down...loud azz folks!) and watch away. If they wanna get wild, they say 'Netflix' or 'Disney' into the remote. And that about it!

>I have two TVs (and a couple monitors) in my house: a 2013
>60" Panasonic plasma in my living room, and a super cheap,
>small Samsung LCD in my game room. Both are 1080p.
>
>The plasma is a great set, but I want to replace the Samsung.
>Most of the games I play in that room are from older consoles
>upscaled to 1080p, so I wanted something smaller, and not 4K.
>Problem is, I also have a PS4 (neither Pro nor Slim) in that
>room, and the TV is too small for any of those games. Also,
>the TV's UI is hella unresponsive and annoying. The picture
>quality is mostly okay.
>

Man, I've been thinking about this whole old system thing too. I dead ass have a retro system plugged up to a TV in my cave RIGHT NOW. It plays NES, SNES, and Genesis games. I have Super Mario World in there. That's part of why I'm thinking of keeping some older TV around in my cave...for basically everything before PS3: Wii, Sega, NES, PS2. I'm not above occasionally playing something from those systems. Hell, I was playing Fight Night: Champion last night with a straight face while watching rasslin on the other TV. What's that: PS3/360 era?

>I'm thinking of moving the Panasonic to the game room, and
>getting a 77" LG OLED for the living room. I almost bought a
>B1 on Prime Day, but I wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger.
>I honestly hope I never have replace the Panasonic, but I know
>that's not reality.
>

You see what I just said...hold onto that plasma!

Its crazy how much we're comfortably talking about copping 70" and greater TVs. I try to get my kid to understand that me and my brother were EXCITEDLY watching a 13" TV for several years. And then, moving on up was 19". And the 'big TV' in the living room was like 25". Now, these kids are sauntering around with laptop screens greater than 13" on the reg. 10" touchscreen tablets and pads. Wow.