Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectthe fire giant fight really sucks
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=306101&mesg_id=306183
306183, the fire giant fight really sucks
Posted by bearfield, Tue Mar-29-22 11:43 PM
>Then Fire Giant, he just doesn't feel like a significant boss,
>really, but apparently geometry doesn't matter at all to him
>as I died in both fights by having the high ground...only for
>his attack to animate straight through the hill and one-shot
>me despite not even being able to SEE the attack it was
>starting so deep in the ground. I'd already heard this boss
>fight was bullshit from people who've cleared the toughest
>bosses in the game So I was prepared for sooooooomething to be
>off about it, I just didn't expect that to be rules just don't
>apply to the big buy. I can only imagine the attacks I haven't
>yet seen from him that are rude no matter where you are in the
>playspace.

it's kind of a bullshit boss. took me maybe 12 tries with summons because i would get one-shotted no matter what i got hit by. i would block one of his fireballs with a shield and get poise broken and lose over half of my paltry 500 HP. absolutely insane. i had to have someone run interference and tank while i pelted him with spells. even then the scale of the fight is such that i could rarely gauge the correct distance to cast from so during most of the fights i was doing the spell casting equivalent of flailing. like most bosses in these games, once you get the moveset down you are golden. the fire giant's animations are laborious and unintuitive so the learning process is a little slower. it's a more manageable fight after the first phase. i'm sure this boss is much easier with a tanky bleed build. my glass cannon caster build was not suited for it

>You're exactly right about what's so charming about
>Bloodborne, after your first struggle play with that game it's
>a VERY straightforward path from Cleric Beast to Rom, from Rom
>to (I guess we'll still call all this spoilers?) and you're
>done. In a game so eager to say fuck you that's really
>appreciated, that at least you always know what you're working
>toward. At this point in Elden Ring, I feel like I did
>everything I was supposed to do and I'm getting Mario'd by
>Toad one more time, like, hey sorry but we did design all this
>other stuff over here and we'd love for you to do this too!!

it just keeps going. i would say that fromsoft is likely unconcerned with making sure the player sees everything considering the game has dozens of bosses and only 13 are needed to complete the game. this is the same team that hid an entire area in dark souls and made another secret area very difficult to find without a guide. there is a lot to this game though. they might have front-loaded it to the point where the back end is a bit of a chore. i don't think this is an uncommon phenomenon in games

from my short experience near the end-game it feels like the enemies are a little overtuned. i'm around level 115 with 70 int and 50 faith and some of these enemies in the consecrated snowfield are comfortably tanking all of my best spells and incantations. not enjoying it as much as the beginning of the game. i do have a personal quest to get a holy sword in this area and still need some +8 stones for my staff so i am going to keep at it

>(for what it's worth, if I were asked for a score I'd say it's
>a 4.5/5 with a couple dozen small and huge caveats, it's
>ultimately pretty impressive what they've pulled off here)

i agree. fromsoft games are full of amazing art and game design, world-class gameplay and game feel, and a small-to-moderate amount of bullshit. not insurmountable bullshit but bullshit all the same