Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectRE: 10 Videogames That Changed Your Life
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=305679&mesg_id=306217
306217, RE: 10 Videogames That Changed Your Life
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Thu Apr-21-22 10:28 AM
Outrun (arcade)
Just remember fun times with this one. Especially the coin op version that you could sit in that moved. I remember family playing it as much as I did as a kid when we went to a ski resort.

Tiger Heli (arcade)
As a teen working in a movie theater, this was my game. Every time I went on break. And when I was working, I always gave the stink eye to any patron trying to break my high score. I eventually pretty much 1-man Contra'd the game. One helicopter, and I could beat the whole thing. To this day I think it's the only arcade game I mastered to that level.

Solar Warrior (arcade)
Just thought it was a cool ass game that I couldn't get enough of.

Metal Gear (NES)
Good Lord, the hours wasted on this one. In hindsight it drew me in because of the deep (at the time) gameplay. Being able to call people on the radio. Changing equipment to make a difference in the gameplay, it all came together beautifully and changed how I thought about games.

Donkey Kong (Colecovision)
One of the first console games I mastered. I remember I had a Colecovision with the Atari 2600 adapter! (would never happen in today's environment!) My friends would come over, but none could conquer me. Although to be fair, that version only had like three screens.

Madden 93 (Genesis)
I'm certain I annoyed the fuck out of my suitemates in college who had this. Played every time they left the room. Also cratered my gpa.

Final Fantasy (NES)
The first RPG I ever played. Like Metal Gear, there was nothing like it. Being able to determine the development of your character and equipping different things for effect. Blew my damn socks off. Add in the lore and the story that you gave a damn about, and I was hooked.

Legend of Zelda (NES)
Almost self-explanatory, but what other game really inspired that sense of wonder and adventure at the time like this one? Also one of the first quest-y games I ever played.

Grand Theft Auto III (PS2)
C'mon, son! I remember grabbing this, then taking it over to my boy's house immediately! We all used to game at his place since he had a big screen. I remember telling them "man, you literally can do anything in this game!" They didn't believe me. Then I got a lady of the night, beat her and took the money back. Jaws dropped.

Fallout 3 (Xbox360)
Still one of my favorite franchises ever. Loved the post apocalyptic setting, the consequences of your actions being a real part of the gameplay, exploration, companions, dialog, story, lore. It all came together. Damn shame the franchis is kinda stale now.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.