Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectI finally got an RTX 3070 - and I scalped it
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=305598
305598, I finally got an RTX 3070 - and I scalped it
Posted by handle, Fri Apr-23-21 04:00 PM
I sold my 1080 last year in expectations of buying a RTX 3070 to replace it.

Then the supply wasn't there to get it.

So about 10 days ago I got one from Bestbuy.com for $499+Tax. It arrived.

I stupidly looked a Craigslist and OfferUp and saw they were reselling for $1200-$1300 and more like $1400-$1500 on eBay.

Well - I scalped it for $1200 cash in like an hour (inside of a bank where they withdrew the money and I put into my account - so 0 risk.)

I couldn't leave that money on the table.

Praise me - or damn me - your choice.

305599, you and others like you are the reason i can't get a card
Posted by bearfield, Fri Apr-23-21 04:29 PM
idk why you're looking for praise or damnation here, or why you felt the need to share this info
305601, I had a 3080 in my best buy cart a month ago...
Posted by Lach, Mon Apr-26-21 09:57 AM
and you know what happened. Out of all the times to do all this credit card validation mess, that's when Best Buy chooses to do it. So the card I had on file had to run the gamut smh. When I was done, GONE. I gave up trying to get one. My son and I running the 2070 till we can walk in a store and copy a 30 series.
305611, Got a 3080 from Mico Center back in December
Posted by Paps_Smear, Sun May-02-21 09:47 PM
Got there early in the am and just waited. Truck came before they opened and they had a ton of cards. This is after trying online for months and having the bots and scalpers take them all.

If you have a micro center near you they get deliveries Tues-Thurs. Right now its your best shot at getting one.
305612, I got a 3060ti
Posted by Mafamaticks, Mon May-03-21 08:32 AM
I'm keeping mine.

with shortages looking like they're going into late 2021/early 2022, somebody would have to pay me something ridiculous in order for me to let it go
305678, they pulled me back in
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Jun-30-21 07:27 AM
I copped a refurbished alienware (I know, but with prices being where they are, it makes sense now) with a 3070 in it

the 3070s *still* going for a $1000 just for the card on stockx

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
305680, I'd do the same thing.
Posted by Steve O Tron v2, Wed Jun-30-21 01:34 PM
It sucks for people that are in the market for it that want to pay reasonable prices, but I'd take advantage of people that have more money than sense and are actually willing to pay these ridiculous prices. I'm fortunately just chilling with my 1080 ti that I bought in 2017 that ended up being a great investment and waiting it out.
305689, Is the high pricing because of people using the cards to mine Bitcoin?
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Fri Jul-02-21 12:46 AM
305771, It is partly due to mining of cryptocurrency, but it's also because of
Posted by Steve O Tron v2, Sun Aug-29-21 03:44 PM
the overall computer chip and transport problems largely tied to the pandemic, and things are screwy in all kinds of markets (e.g., cars, housing, electronics, guns and ammo). It wasn't this bad for GPUs in 2017/2018 during the last big cryptocurrency run and crash.
305779, Thanks for that.
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Tue Aug-31-21 07:10 PM
305846, Ethereum and Monero. Buy iPhone 13.
Posted by Steve Jobs, Mon Oct-11-21 08:44 PM

http://www.apple.com

Think Different.

Recycle your e-waste, please.

:)
305770, I camped out overnight and got a 3080 from Best Buy
Posted by Steve O Tron v2, Sun Aug-29-21 03:31 PM
I never thought I'd camp out for anything in my life, but I drove past Best Buy in the afternoon after they announced a 3000-series drop that day, and I saw that there was still a relatively short line at around 6-7pm. I knew they had a decent amount of 3080s in a previous drop, but because they're the most sought out card this generation, they're the first to go. Camping out was actually more bearable than I thought, but that's mostly because I got along really well with 3 guys in line next to me, so I had some company to help kill the time.

Before they actually started out handing out tickets in the morning, there was some slight worry because the 3080 was the only card I wanted, and they did not let people know how many of each card was available, so I was basing everything from the previous drops. I was 18th in line, and 15 of the guys ahead of me all got the 3080 (store ended up having 52 3080s). I think the most common cards to go after were the 3060 ti and 3070, and the 3090 is last to go just because it's so expensive with significant diminishing returns (about only 15-20% better performance for most things but for over 200% the price of a 3080).

It seemed like most of the people that I talked to were just trying to get the cards at MSRP and not trying to flip them (college town so it was mostly students with a few older guys like me). Crazy that we still have to resort to this about a year after launch, but it felt worth it in my case, because now I can sell my trusty 1080 ti that has held me down for the last 4 years, and they are still selling for ridiculous prices (around $650 on eBay, and I got the card for $750 in 2017). It truly remains one of the best GPUs ever released (performance and value), and now I just have to decide on a method to sell it when the market is still hot while avoiding scammers.
305772, San Diego had an event - it was crazily packed
Posted by handle, Sun Aug-29-21 06:53 PM
I drove by in the A.M to see how many folks were there, it seemed like several hundred.

I heard the people near the front had been there for more than 30 hours.
305774, I'm sure the bigger metro areas are a lot worse, although it's interesting
Posted by Steve O Tron v2, Sun Aug-29-21 10:21 PM
that most of these Best Buy drops occur in smaller cities/towns. The earliest person for this store came at 10:30am, and there were only 17 other people that arrived between him and my arrival at 6-7pm. After that more people started to trickle in, mostly likely after class or work, and then the rate slowed after 10pm. Then there were people that came a couple of hours before opening hoping to get lucky. I don't really know how those people fared, because I had already bought my card and headed home before they got into the store.

There were shared tracking sheets online with line size and possible card count info that people could check. Some people had driven a few hours from Chicago to my store because the line count was relatively small when they checked. I can't speak for other stores, but our counts were accurate, although my store had fewer people to track.

For the drop that occurred the month before, the town was quieter because most students had not come back yet. I actually came to the store a couple of hours after they closed, and they still had 3090s left, so I bought one just because it was available. I never had any intention of using it, so it's still sealed and ready to be resold.
305773, the 3090 may not even be worth it with the heat issues
Posted by Rjcc, Sun Aug-29-21 08:56 PM

305776, For shits and giggles I put my 3060ti on eBay for $3k
Posted by Mafamaticks, Mon Aug-30-21 12:10 PM
If somebody is crazy enough to pay that much for it, I'll let it go.

Otherwise it's going in my system
305778, rolling the dice on a prebuilt
Posted by bearfield, Mon Aug-30-21 04:45 PM
way more than i wanted to spend but a full rig with a 3080 is the same price as a 3080 on amazon/ebay/stockx. if i lived in an area with brick and mortar stores that had a chance of getting GPUs in stock i would just wait it out. the closest place is best buy in rogers, AR (not little rock, AR with its 3x population, mind you) and i'm not waiting for another drop, taking a day off at a moment's notice, and driving 4 hours just to find out that the line is already too long for me to secure a card. i'm not desperate or in dire need for a new card as my trusty 980ti is still going but i figured this is about as good as a chance as i'm going to get with the prices going up again and covid surging. it's coming up on 6 years of dedicated and reliable service from this 980ti; i'm framing this joker and hanging it on the wall when i retire it

the prebuilt order was successful and the status says it's in the builder queue and shipping tomorrow but i'm assuming something will fall through and i won't get it
305780, that's what I came down to, the 3070 on stockx was everything I spent
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Aug-31-21 07:15 PM
on a full pc

305783, this card is amazing. this build isn't great
Posted by bearfield, Mon Sep-06-21 10:08 PM
used NZXT BLD. seems mostly fine but there is some little stuff like bad/incomplete installation of windows and audio and graphics drivers. tried to create recovery media for a fresh start but can't even use "reset this PC" for some reason. maybe i'm overlooking something. probably just going to have to go with a clean reinstall

had to tighten screws in some fans that were making noise. little worried about the GPU and the other fans. this is stuff that i'm very particular and paranoid about when i'm building PCs so it's a pretty annoying that this professional PC building company can't get it right. i'm going to try to hit all the screws when i move my SSDs from my previous build into the new one

the card is kind of wild. it's completely handling everything i throw at it at 1440p/120+ fps on max settings. mind you, i'm coming from a nearly 6 year old 980ti but i was still able to finagle 1440p/60 fps on almost every game on that card beause it was awesome and i got really good at optimizing graphics settings (usually just downscaling the resolution and rarely running above medium shadow settings.) now it appears that i can just max everything out all the time. this must be what it feels like to shop online and finally be able to choose "sort by highest price" 😎
305784, RE: this card is amazing. this build isn't great
Posted by Steve O Tron v2, Tue Sep-07-21 09:16 AM
The parts from NZXT BLD look pretty good and are probably close what I'd buy myself if building, although the prices are a little high as you'd expect, but I guess there's really no way around it if you can't get a 3080 through other means. Sucks to hear that their work isn't that great, however. I'm very particular about doing clean installations myself on any new hard drive. I don't even like cloning from my own drives and will always do a clean install, but that's just me.

The 3080 is really nice. I was getting 120+ fps at 1440p before on the 1080 ti at the same settings, so the performance increase wasn't immediately noticeable. Or at least that was the case until I tried streaming, and that's when I really noticed the difference. The 1080 ti would perform great just gaming, but streaming at the same time was when I would notice the performance hit, and that's not the case at all with the 3080. I sold a Rift S and bought a Quest 2, and I need more time to see how the 3080 performs for VR stuff.
305785, What was NZXt the cost ( I bought an MSI)
Posted by handle, Tue Sep-07-21 04:06 PM
I bought an open box MSI from best Buy with , from what I understand, truly awful cooling. I can upgrade that myself for like $50. it arrive on Friday.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-rog-gaming-desktop-intel-core-i7-11700kf-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-2tb-hdd-512gb-ssd/6455824.p?skuId=6455824

How much was the NZXT build? How long did it take to build/deliver?

Got a link to the machine?
305786, RE: What was NZXt the cost ( I bought an MSI)
Posted by bearfield, Tue Sep-07-21 04:46 PM
>How much was the NZXT build? How long did it take to
>build/deliver?

$2300 before shipping and taxes. 4 days from order to delivery

>Got a link to the machine?

NZXT H710 Build

Standard Service (US)

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Samsung 970 EVO Plus_250GB

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 - EVGA FTW3 ULTRA GAMING LHR

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200MHz 16GB (2X8GB)

XPG Core Reactor 850W Gold

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x 6-Cores 3.7GHz

ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4

NZXT Kraken X63 (Black)

NZXT H710 (BLACK)

---------------------

it's pretty RGB heavy, which is something i normally avoid, but i'm warming up to it as it provides nice soft and passive light when i'm gaming at night. if cards were readily available i would take like 3 months to scour the internet for deals and rebates as i have in the past. sometimes this feels like an overpay but thinking of it as an availability tax

i have to say it was nice not having to actually build this thing. i built and upgraded maybe 5 gaming PCs since the early 2000s. it was fun and exciting when i was younger but now i don't want to be bothered with it. i love the shopping and deal hunting and slow gathering of parts but always manage to forget how annoying it is to actually build it, specifically regarding the finer points of mobo screws and cable attachment as i have relatively big hands that can be tough to squeeze into tight spaces in a mid-tower
305789, I returned the Asus, and got a Powerspec
Posted by handle, Thu Sep-09-21 10:46 AM
The Asus at best buy had a11700k AND a 3080 for $1899 - but it had ZERO ventilaation/airflow. Like none. It was super super super super loud. Way louder than I expected. I think it'd burn itself out unless I modified its cooling - or put it in a new case- both of which would have voided the warranty.

So I ended up with a Powerspec G900 with a 3070 (and not a 3080) for $2199 + tax.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/632836/powerspec-g900-gaming-pc

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7GHz Processor
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 <-Actually an EVGA 3070 Ti FT3
32GB DDR4-3200 RAM
2TB SSD (gen 3, not 4)
10/100/1000 LAN + WiFi 5 WLAN
Windows 10 Pro

I sold my old PC for $650 so it's about $1600 upgrade for me. Don't like spending money, but seems a decent value. And I made $650 when I scalped the 3070 at the start of the thread - so out of pocket it was more like $1000 with tax.

So yours has a slower processor in multi-thread - but almost the same in single thread - that's a good tradeoff in 90% of these cases.
305848, This Powerspec is SOLID
Posted by handle, Tue Oct-12-21 10:26 AM
Long story longer - I returned the PowerSPEC because I was having money anxieties, but then 2 weeks later drove back to Microcenter and saw it was in the Open Box section for $300 off.

So I bought it back - I'm having weird anxiety around money.

But this machine is SOLID. Super fast. Temperatures and noise are OKAY - but I keep it in a cabinet so it doesn't get as much airflow as it might need.

But if you got a microcenter near by it's worth a look - especially in the open box section. the parts alone cost more than I got it for.

They had an 10850k machine with a 3080 in open box for $2100 too.
305791, that's what blew me away
Posted by Rjcc, Sun Sep-12-21 05:50 PM
like....EVERY game, from old-tech stuff like apex to cyberpunk or whatever I can play in 1080p with every effect turned all the way up and it just eats it

305870, i used NZXT BLD
Posted by beeinfinite, Mon Oct-25-21 08:32 AM
i was really impressed with the speed of delivery, quality, and support. the ordering process was a complete pleasure and i will definitely use them again in the future. they are possibly one of the only companies that offers warranties on their parts as well. my 3950x/2080ti is still going strong after several years, not a single issue. i maintain my pc every few weeks by removing all the dust, etc.. amazingly, the price of my rig has gone up a bit due to chip shortages.
305926, prebuilt I bought for Forza H5 from Micro Center
Posted by ne_atl, Thu Nov-11-21 06:02 PM
https://www.microcenter.com/product/636485/powerspec-g438-gaming-pc

Ive since added more ram and added a 2tb SSD.
305927, we have similar specs, I planned on doubling the ram
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Nov-11-21 07:30 PM
I just haven't seen any reason to do it yet

I'm way closer to maxing out my GPU ram than the system

305928, RE: we have similar specs, I planned on doubling the ram
Posted by ne_atl, Thu Nov-11-21 08:51 PM
>I just haven't seen any reason to do it yet
>
>I'm way closer to maxing out my GPU ram than the system

FH5 on extreme graphics, my GPU ram runs at 95-99%.