Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectFront door/back door/ both doors which is more lucrative?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=305457
305457, Front door/back door/ both doors which is more lucrative?
Posted by 3CardMolly, Sat Jan-09-21 05:00 AM
Very much a newby in writing and just curious to know which end of programming is most lucrative? Also if anyone could give insight on the best programs to learn in individual as well as all areas, it would be much appreciated.
305459, I'm not familiar with 'front door' or 'back door'
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sun Jan-10-21 10:33 PM
Do you mean front-end or back-end?

Full disclosure, I'm trying to transition into web design as a new career so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Coding is coding so I would focus on becoming comfortable with the fundamentals of programming more than diving into a specialization early on.

Programming is built upon science but like art, the best way to get better is simply by making apps or working on projects. Getting paid to do so is better, but there are plenty of people who have pet projects or work on Open Source projects for free to get experience coding.

As far as languages, Python, I hear is very popular for beginners. And JavaScript (not Java, that's a different language) is a good language to learn as many web development technologies (both front-end and back-end) are built upon JavaScript.

I'm more of a front-end web developer so I can't speak too much on the intricacies of back-end programming. Back when I first learned to program, I wanted to program games but found my mind doesn't handle logic well enough to program the behaviors within a game. But I'm pretty good with interfaces and UX design so that's the direction I'm moving towards.

Learning concepts such as Object-oriented Programming (OOP) and Model-View-Presenter (MVP) and Agile development and User-Experience Design (UX) while building an app of your own is a good place to start.

A place like Coursera or Codecademy or Skillshare ought to have courses that will step you through the fundamentals while offering guidance.

If you're interested to learn more about the field, try and attend a programming Meetup in your local area. Some areas offer meetings for beginners. For as much as programming is a solitary endeavor, the Meetups offer chances to meet people that you can collaborate with and learn from. That will accelerate the pace of your learning. Informational interviews with friends or others who work in IT is may be helpful.

Programming is a lucrative field, and back-end programming more so. That being said, the question isn't if back-end or front-end is more lucrative, it's which field are you best suited for. So, if you aren't pulling in the salary of a full-stack programmer (a programmer who knows both front-end and back-end), you can still make a great living even as a UI designer.

Since you'll have to constantly refresh your knowledge and learn new technologies, it's best to find something you have a knack for and a willingness to learn more so than focusing solely on the highest paying field unless you just have a mind for programming. (in which case I just wasted your time with my basicness)

Good luck.
305462, based on my experience, solid advice
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Jan-11-21 10:53 PM
probably back end stuff pays better, but it's like anything else. you don't want to get stuck doing some shit that drives you crazy and the money resides everywhere

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
305468, I started out as frontend and the majority of my development experience in frontend...
Posted by BlassFemur, Wed Jan-20-21 04:24 PM
but my next role I am looking to get more of a frontend/ backend hybrid role using node.js. I like and am very comfortable with javascript, so if you learn javascript you can definitely find something that pays very well.

I definitely think you should play with different languages and see what suits you more. I do believe backend developer roles tend to pay better than frontend, unless you are using React or Angular or something like that which can come with a very nice salary.

As obsidianchrysalis said, you should definitely check out Coursera or Codecademy or Udemy and do some of their tutorials and see which languages you feel comfortable with and the workflow you would be comfortable being in. Build some apps on your own and see all that goes into building and deploying to the server.

It's pretty hard to be a beginner and just find a language and be good with that, because the field changes so much and new technologies keep coming online (some people hate that). It's a constant learning process, so whichever route you choose more than likely you will start morphing into something else eventually.