Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subject300 games and gamin'
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=305025&mesg_id=305836
305836, 300 games and gamin'
Posted by bearfield, Tue Oct-05-21 01:24 AM
the elder scrolls: skyrim: special edition: the phoenix flavour
--------------------------------------------------------------------
modded skyrim on PC. using wabbajack (https://www.wabbajack.org/#/) and the phoenix flavour (https://thephoenixflavour.com/tpf/wabbajack/). wabbajack is a sort of auto compiler for modlists for various games, mostly bethesda games like the elder scrolls and fallout series. the phoenix flavour is a modlist that combines 700+ mods to give skyrim a fresh coat of paint (textures, models, LOD, etc.), bug fixes, and some gameplay and systems overhauls. it's vanilla skyim but it looks way better, plays way better, and functionally offers a new experience. wabbajack is remarkably easy and the single best experience i've had modding an elder scrolls game. all you have to do is load the modlist, create a few folders, and hit go and everything is downloaded and sorted for you. it's great and reminiscent of oscuro's obilvion overhaul for PC oblivion. (fun fact: oscuro was eventually hired by bethesda/obsidian and worked on fallout: new vegas!)

playing a massively modded skyrim is still a singularly wonderful experience. i'm truly enjoying playing it and getting completely immersed, losing my sense of self for hours at a time. it's an amazing feeling that is much needed at the moment. i'm playing a thalmor mage, specializing in conjuration and destruction magic. my gameplan for most encounters is use the dragon shout that lets you detect living beings around you, then summmon 3 high level monsters to deal with the enemies as i down invisibility potions and hit stragglers with daggers laced with paralyze poision

magic: the gathering arena
------------------------------
free to play and very generous version of magic: the gathering. i hadn't played MTG since maybe 1997 when i gave up because i was getting outclassed by folks with more disposable income than me spending massive amounts of money on the game. MTGA somewhat offsets this long-standing pay-to-win problem by letting you earn free stuff — packs, cards, currency to buy packs and cards, "wildcards" — by simply playing matches. there are also a gang of promo codes that give you free packs. i think you can get something like 20 free packs if you use all the promo codes. it's very friendly to new players. the events, card drafts, and general game loop (play → get xp + currency → get cards and packs → make decks) is a nice daily grind for me. i have a black and white control/angels deck that has a very strong life gain/creature generation function that i'm able to get going with some regularity. it's fun when i win and there are essentially no penalties for losing

spelunky 2
------------
playing this in earnest now, trying to progress through the levels. i hit a wall with the ps4 version but something about the responsiveness on PC at 120 fps makes it seem like it's easier to play

tetris effect: connected
--------------------------
looks and sounds amazing on my new PC and monitor

scarlet nexus + code vein
----------------------------
i tried. they are both free on game pass. they feel like lite takes on better games, draped in bad anime. i don't like how they play and they look kind of drab

guilty gear strive
-------------------
flirted with obtaining celestial a few times. this game makes me too frustrated when i lose to play it regularly. i can't reliably execute a reversal DP and ky's DP is trash anyway (12 frame startup, can be thrown) so i end up rage quitting when i feel like i made the right choice but my move doesn't come out and i end up taking 50% damage