Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectThe Outer Worlds (RPG)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=304887
304887, The Outer Worlds (RPG)
Posted by Boogiedwn, Wed Nov-13-19 10:21 AM
This is really good if you guys aren't playing it

304888, So far so good.
Posted by Nopayne, Wed Nov-13-19 05:44 PM
My only knock is that I'm not a RPG person so I get sick of talking to so many people sometimes.
304892, i have bad news for you...
Posted by bearfield, Fri Nov-15-19 03:48 PM
>My only knock is that I'm not a RPG person so I get sick of
>talking to so many people sometimes.

the meat of that game is dialogue trees, character development, and interactions with your party members. the wrapping around the writing is a sub par version of the bethesda open world games with poorly implemented systems and mechanics. i think this game really suffers from the lack of an open world because any chance of generating a sense of immersion is ruined when you load screen into the next area instead of walking across a wasteland or vale to discover it. it's unfortunate because the writing seems decent. i ended up uninstalling it from game pass for PC after about a dozen hours because i couldn't stomach the gameplay loop anymore
304897, I sorta like the semi-open world structure.
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Mon Nov-18-19 03:22 PM
I said that about this game and Borderlands 3:

This is what Mass Effect 1 was supposed to deliver. Remember when that game was coming out and they promised you a galaxy-spanning adventure, and what you got was one space station and a few generic planets with the same ass building and some lame rover missions. But were there different planet types, multiple settlements, multiple motivations for those planets and a wide variety of enemies native to each location? Nope.

In fact, that whole trilogy sorta failed to deliver what was promised in a way.

Now I do think the systems in OW need some work. I rarely need to use the buffs, and the inventory system could use a tweak or two. The writing is solid. The gunplay could be a bit better. But overall I'm enjoying it.

It's just missing a bit of bite. Still comes off a little generic in some areas. And loot drops and enhancement could use a boost.

"To Each His Reach"

but.....

Fuck aliens.
304899, i think it's closer to a proof-of-concept than a complete game
Posted by bearfield, Mon Nov-18-19 07:43 PM
not that the game is half-assed but it seems like they spent all their capital on making sure the pretty complex base systems (dialogue, fail states, quest progression) are solid so some of the ancillary systems (combat, loot, inventory) are a little thin. now that this game has shipped the devs can say, "ok we got most of the essential stuff right so we don't have to work on that anymore. now we can tweak the stuff around the edges for the sequels." hopefully the next game(s) will be a little more fun to engage with
304928, I like getting my speech and intelligence checks early.
Posted by JFrost1117, Mon Dec-09-19 10:32 PM
When I play Fallout I be trying to buff my kill-niggas skills before intelligence. Fallout 4 has too many super mutants for that shit.
304959, surprisingly good game
Posted by L_O_Quent, Fri Dec-27-19 02:12 PM
I'm quite impressed with GamePass