Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectMade the mistake of buying a refurbished hard drive. SMH
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=304515&mesg_id=304515
304515, Made the mistake of buying a refurbished hard drive. SMH
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu May-09-19 07:25 PM
I found a great deal on a Western Digital 2GB external hard drive about two months ago and pulled the trigger. The only issue was the drive was factory refurbished and not new.

I was skittish about buying a refurbished hard drive. The hard drive was factory refurbished so at the least it was refurbished with the best possible service. (or so I like to think)

The drive was a backup of my work-related files. I also keep my files backed up in the cloud but in the event, a file was accidentally deleted a copy would be available.

It worked fine for the first two months and then I noticed the drive's partition magically vanished.

I restored the partition but of course, all of the data was lost because the partition can only be set if the drive is formatted.

I tried to run Recuva to restore the files but that was Hail Mary which didn't work out.

I know that even fresh drives fail at times so this event could just be a coincidence but I plan on never buying refurbished memory related components again.

Thankfully, I have my cloud files so I at least have that as a backup.

** THE MORE YOU KNOW **