Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectSTADIA: Google's new streaming video game
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=304398
304398, STADIA: Google's new streaming video game
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Tue Mar-19-19 01:12 PM
https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/19/google-streaming-video-games-gdc-2019/?utm_campaign=homepage&utm_medium=internal&utm_source=dl

+ 10.2 terraflops
+ Stadia will be able to stream games in 4K, 60FPS and HDR color at launch, but eventually it'll support up to 8K.
+ They did a demo w/ Assassin's Creed: Odyssey where they switched from a Chrome tablet, to a PC, to a phone and then to a tablet. Same game.
+ You can use any USB controller, but they have a Stadia version. Looks like the Xbox controller.
+ Stadia's Crowd Play feature allows people watching a YouTube livestream to jump in line and actually join that streamer's game.

Would you buy a AAA title on a streaming service like this if it offered you the same quality as your PS4 Pro/XB1X?
304399, I was a part of their Project Stream beta
Posted by IkeMoses, Tue Mar-19-19 02:55 PM
I got to play Assassin's Creed Odyssey on my 2013 Macbook on my 60 down, 5 up WIFI connection.

It's not my first time messing with streaming. I had OnLive when that was a thing. My experience with Google's joint was not leaps and bounds better than that.

The image quality will typically be much softer than what you get on console, even if the max resolution is higher.

You ever hook a retro console up to an HDTV with component cables? It looks like that. Also, the lag is noticeable.

That said, it's cool to try out single player games this way. I don't trust Google or anybody else to break the laws of physics and make this work better than PCs or consoles for multiplayer tho.
304400, BUT WHEN WE PLAYING APEX
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Mar-19-19 04:42 PM

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
304402, I’ma be on! Gotta see what that Octane about.
Posted by IkeMoses, Tue Mar-19-19 07:26 PM
304411, man message me and I'll hop on
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Mar-22-19 01:19 AM

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
304401, Interesting
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Tue Mar-19-19 05:36 PM
I dig the convenience of it. I have a 4K LG set in my living room, a 45" vizio in my home office and a laptop. It'd be nice to game within that ecosystem like I do with YouTube TV and Chromecast. I used to be the guy who wanted the best quality DVD's for my home theater system. Now, I stream everything and don't bat an eye. Chances are that softer look you mentioned I wouldn't care about.

The latency on the other hand.
304403, It’s dope for making a console out of your laptop
Posted by IkeMoses, Tue Mar-19-19 07:28 PM
Smaller screens also solve a lot of the softer image problems too.

On that 4K screen it might rear its ugly head tho.
304410, me too and all of this is accurate
Posted by bearfield, Thu Mar-21-19 05:10 PM
>The image quality will typically be much softer than what you
>get on console, even if the max resolution is higher.
>
>You ever hook a retro console up to an HDTV with component
>cables? It looks like that. Also, the lag is noticeable.

i was assured the resolution was 1080p but i would have believed 720p and even then that might have been straining credulity. the lag was present but not enough to hamper my ability to play ac: odyssey. i wouldn't play a soulsborne/twitch shooter/fighting game on it though

>That said, it's cool to try out single player games this way.
>I don't trust Google or anybody else to break the laws of
>physics and make this work better than PCs or consoles for
>multiplayer tho.

it's going to be a great way to demo games for sure. probably worth the price of admission. you can "demo" games on steam with its generous refund policy but there is the download process and the refund process and it's all too time-intensive to be effective

this is also a fantastic option for people who want to play games but can't afford a new console or PC
304409, I'm using the Shadow streaming service
Posted by Tw3nty, Thu Mar-21-19 03:59 PM
Its pretty legit.
Mind you I'm on a gig internet connection and using a 4K iMac.
The lag is really only noticeable when you connect your controller through bluetooth instead of hard wired.
I've won matches of Apex Legends using this service,
you can play competitively but you definitely need a fast connection.
My resolution is the same as if I was running the app natively.
Its only a VM box so I don't see why the resolution would be decreased
I'm sure google is going to knock this out of the park, given that they will have more capacity and resources to pull this off.
304558, Watched today’s presentation. I’ll pass
Posted by mrshow, Thu Jun-06-19 02:12 PM
Not sure who the audience is for this.
305431, so i got the premier edition for free with the youtube premium offer
Posted by mista k5, Thu Dec-10-20 06:18 PM
i played some hitman, pretty smooth. i enjoyed it, no issues.

saw the promo for another free premier edition with a purchase of cyberpunk. i had more than plenty of google credit im not using for anything so i bought it. played it last night, again no issues. pretty fun.

got the email a bit ago for second the premier edition, coming in by the 17th.

the youtube premium offer is expired in the usa but the cyberpunk one is still live until supplies run out.

i think stadia will keep me from pulling the trigger on ps5 or series x.

not sure i will stay on pro every month but probably will for another month, wish i could pay for the subscription with google credit.