Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectI hate to defend Microsoft, but they were prosecuted in antitrust cases...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=303437&mesg_id=303440
303440, I hate to defend Microsoft, but they were prosecuted in antitrust cases...
Posted by stravinskian, Fri Mar-23-18 06:20 PM
over stuff that's just routinely accepted nowadays.

Making IE a default browser? Basically everyone does something like that now. There's always the option of installing third-party browsers, probably in large part because of the precedent in the MS antitrust case. But if you're running Android you're probably using Chrome. If you're on an iphone you're probably using Safari. If you're working in Chrome OS it goes without saying that you're probably using the Chrome browser.

MS would have been raked over the coals if they ran their own app store in the early 2000s.

I was making the argument, maybe even around here, that MS shouldn't be allowed to use their monopoly in one aspect of the computing experience (the OS) to gain an unfair advantage in others (browser, office suite, email, media codecs, etc.). I still basically stand by that, but Google and Apple take their built-in advantages much farther than MS was ever able to.