Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectyeah. this is pretty comprehensive.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=303209&mesg_id=303498
303498, yeah. this is pretty comprehensive.
Posted by will_5198, Thu Apr-19-18 10:50 PM
>Unfortunately, knowing what your opponent's options are is
>very character-specific, aka requires broad game knowledge and
>lab time.

this is easiest and hardest part about wake-up defense (and higher level fighting games in general, to me). every character has a bunch of variations on what they can and cannot get away with after a knockdown. I hate labwork so I go the hard route and figure things out with experience...but as mentioned, you may be put in certain character-specific situations only a few times out of hundreds of matches.

*lots* of stuff isn't real after a knockdown; you can back-roll, backdash, 3F/4F and jump out of more stuff than you think. unfortunately you just have to do the homework to find out.

SFIV had strong throw tech and backdash options on defense (the first was an option select and the second had lots of invincibility frames due to unblockable focus attacks). SFV was made to neuter those specific defensive tactics, for better or worse.

>However, in the corner, the payoff of a backdash is bigger
>than neutral jumping because, since you have nowhere to go, it
>puts you at point blank range so you can punish or at least
>apply your own pressure and fight out of the corner. I see
>people do this mostly against R. Mikas.

yeah, backdash can save you in the corner because you can get air-reset even when hit, and fuck up their combo.

>I say this with zero sarcasm - step 1 is don't get knocked
>down. If you're at close spacing and you're afraid to throw
>out a button, then you should walk back, jump back, whatever
>(backdash is okay at longer distances) to get yourself out of
>the situation. Reset the spacing so you can try to start your
>own offense. If you choose to stand in there and hit a
>button, you're rolling the dice of possibly getting
>counterhit, knocked down, etc. You could gain from the
>situation, but why not reset the spacing and go for something
>with higher probability than 50-50? That's my outlook on it.

I would add to vary your rises when you do get knocked down. at my level, 90 percent of the time my opponent (and myself) has several go-to set-ups for quick-rises (which is the most common), but less options for normal rise and back-rolls. even if they do have those options covered, they still have to guess/read it, and the timing is usually tougher (my meaties are way easier against quick-rising, and I miss more on normal wake-ups).