Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectGames you were disappointed with this year
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=303138
303138, Games you were disappointed with this year
Posted by Boogiedwn, Fri Dec-22-17 01:17 PM
Mass Effect: Andromeda (they basically NBA Lived this franchise - well Live is better now so maybe there's hope they can save this in the future)

Destiny 2 - they broke the things they didn't need to break

303139, 2 off the top
Posted by ne_atl, Fri Dec-22-17 02:24 PM
NBA 2k18... stealing is still too easy. My career is a joke. Pay to play or struggle to level up.

Forza ... Micro-transactions

303141, RE: Micro-transactions
Posted by Boogiedwn, Fri Dec-22-17 03:20 PM
This is messing up a lot of games, I get it but there's better ways to do it

303140, Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite
Posted by IkeMoses, Fri Dec-22-17 02:34 PM
It's a failure in every way. Except the gameplay, which I actually dig, but that just makes it more disappointing. It's ugly and the base roster is trash.

BLACK PANTHER THO
303142, it's an insult to everybody.
Posted by will_5198, Fri Dec-22-17 03:51 PM
303146, Im hoping for an Arcade Edition for Infinity War
Posted by BigReg, Sat Dec-23-17 08:20 PM
but not gonna happen this year.

So much squandered potential.
303149, I haven't even seen it in stores to cop it to be disappointed.
Posted by JFrost1117, Sun Dec-24-17 11:08 AM
I've been to 4 GameStops, and I'm in Target almost weekly, and have never seen this game in the wild.
303166, #1 on this list for me
Posted by Dr Claw, Sat Dec-30-17 09:52 AM
>It's a failure in every way. Except the gameplay, which I
>actually dig, but that just makes it more disappointing. It's
>ugly and the base roster is trash.
>
>BLACK PANTHER THO

Base roster is trash
no JP voices for the Capcom characters (GTFOH)

... Good game play, tho?

And yes, Black Panther.

But at what cost?

They need to get an Arcade Edition of this shit, immediately.
303143, AC: Pocket Camp
Posted by hardware, Fri Dec-22-17 03:56 PM
303147, Can I say Destiny 2 even tho I put 152 hours into it?
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Sun Dec-24-17 04:00 AM
I normally roll my eyes at folks who complain about changes that occur between sequels, but Bungie initially pitched this thing as a 10-year epic of a game that would see your character progress and grow in that time so my complaints might be a bit more valid. I think for as much as people said "this looks too much like Destiny 1", it was actually a big enough departure that it kind of ruined the game in some aspects.

The lack of random weapon/armor per rolls, weakened exotics, and limited PvP options all make it a less enjoyable game than the first one was when that ended. Yeah, I get that it took a while for the first game to reach that point, but I don't think that's an excuse; Bungie should have built on what they already had rather than hitting the reset button. On the bright side, the complaints are mostly for people who wanted to keep playing the game; if all you want is a 15~hour campaign, D2 has really good shooting mechanics in an easy to follow story (which I imagine is why it has a higher metacritic than the first game). All that said, I still play it fairly regularly because at the end of the day the shooting just feels good.

If we're talking about games that I unexpectedly bounced off, Persona 5 was that for me. Maybe I'll eventually go back but it didn't draw me in like P3 did.
303151, Yeah
Posted by Mafamaticks, Tue Dec-26-17 01:26 PM
I can't bring myself to play it. I didn't play D1 until the Taken King so I went into it knowing I couldn't compare it to D1 but it's nothing in it that makes me wanna grind like I did in D1
303168, it's weird; I barely played Taken King
Posted by Nodima, Sat Dec-30-17 01:19 PM
but until that DLC dropped, I played Destiny pretty much daily, just running strikes over and over. when it was vanilla (and, in retrospect, vanilla Destiny was insanely vanilla) I played it that hard, and over those two years as things got better (and worse) I kept on playing, never ran a raid, did a nightfall or threw a punch in Crucible and really enjoyed it as a podcast game. but then when the game "got good" for most people, I completely fell off of it. The game became a little more complicated, a little more involved, and there were so many options for things to do. it used to just be a game I completed my bounties for the week the first two or three days of the week, then ran a couple strikes a day after.

Destiny 2 at first felt like it solved a lot of problems, but like somebody said above they wound up solving problems that didn't need to be solved, and over correcting things that were obvious problems before in a way that just created bizarrely more obvious problems. the solution to low drops on end game content shouldn't have been giving you everything all the time, and the solution to never getting the exact roll you wanted for a gun or armor piece shouldn't have been to level everything out to the point almost nothing is truly exciting or valuable. it used to be heading to Reddit to read the Xur Megathread and breakdown of exotics was mandatory weekend reading because you could only afford one piece but maybe the roll for the one piece you'd usually want wasn't optimal; now Xur feels entirely superfluous to the hamster wheel of that game.

I paid for the expansion pass but I've only played a single mission with a single character from Osiris so far. I enjoyed what I played of Destiny 2 and leveled three characters to ~300, but I have no interest in playing that game at the moment and can't really figure out what they need to do to pull me back. maybe I just burned myself out too hard on the first Destiny; maybe they just need more than one fun strike and any incentive to play the strikes they already have.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
303148, Voting for Mass Effect
Posted by BigReg, Sun Dec-24-17 11:07 AM
I brought the first game dirt cheap used cause I was bored and despite it's problems it was so fun it won me over. The subsequent games only got better (arguably the story got worse tho, lol) and it ended up being my fav games of last gen.

Andromeda? Feels like a shitty Destiny clone with boring cut scenes.
303150, Still in the shrink wrap for me :(
Posted by wallysmith, Sun Dec-24-17 09:13 PM
Seemed like early patches carried promise then it was basically a dealbreaker when they said they were gonna kill support for the game
303153, see, that's why I'm waiting.
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Wed Dec-27-17 12:12 PM
Saw the deluxe edition on sale for $12 and still flinched at picking it up. I'll wait until it's sorta dirt cheap.

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
303158, I didn't hate it, but its not on par with the others
Posted by Paps_Smear, Thu Dec-28-17 03:01 PM
Bioware did the same shit with this that they did to Dragon Age Inquisition. They tried to make a single player game have the feel of an MMO. It just doesn't work here. I was engaged with the story but honestly not as much as the other Mass Effect games. Just didn't feel right. This game under any other name might not have been bad, but I came in expecting something that feels like Mass Effect and this wasn't it.

I do feel like it got unfairly shit on even though it does have its faults, as far as just how bad some people were saying it was. If you can find the game that cheap I say go ahead and give it a go. Just don't expect the magic of the first 3.
303159, people who skip this one do so to their own detriment
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Dec-28-17 03:12 PM
there isn't another mass effect around the corner.

perfect? nope.

the blend of action/rpg you've come to expect from mass effect with good story moments and maps included?

yuuuuuup

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
303171, RE: Voting for Mass Effect
Posted by JFrost1117, Mon Jan-01-18 08:24 AM
I think I copped first-day, and I don't remember experiencing any of the bugs that Brad from Giant Bomb says he went through. My disappointment comes from knowing they're icing the franchise and leaving hella loose threads from this game.
303178, RE: Voting for Mass Effect
Posted by Boogiedwn, Tue Jan-02-18 07:57 AM
The Quarians and others that were still out there. Smh they had so many loose ends.