Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectinitial impressions (very early)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=301743&mesg_id=301763
301763, initial impressions (very early)
Posted by bearfield, Wed Feb-08-17 02:42 AM
made it past the opening level and played the tutorial. dipped my toe in the first area

i have tremendous reservations about the diablo-esque loot in this game. it seems like it would be nigh impossible to adequately balance a reflex and memory-requiring action game like this when you introduce dozens of slight variations, mostly of the stat variety, to every weapon and armor piece. theoretically you should be able to stat your way to victory instead of learning attack patterns and timings. i wonder how the numbers side of the game affected the enemy design, animations, weapon attributes, boss encounters, PvP, etc. i'm very skeptical of this game being able to balance traditional twitch style action gaming with ARPG item drops. it's team ninja, not blizzard

it doesn't look or sound great, at least in action mode (60 fps mode). flat lighting, bland world design, and bad textures. gross. however it plays very well and that's what really matters. it's very responsive and quick in action mode. plays more like /ninja gaiden/ than /dark souls/ or /bloodborne/. the /gears of war/ active reload-style stamina bar recharge microgame is pretty smart. i can see myself getting a lot of close wins and losses due to this mechanic. the different stances seem like they may add a lot to the game but it's too early to call. i imagine there will be enemies that can't be damaged in low stance mode and attacks that can't be dodged in high stance mode. i wonder if you can just stick to one stance for the whole game

i really do like how it plays and feels. going to try to put some actual time in over the next few days and come back with a more considered opinion