Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectDamn, No Titanfall 2 Post?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=300449
300449, Damn, No Titanfall 2 Post?
Posted by BigReg, Mon Aug-22-16 09:36 AM
Long story short; this reminds me of a Halo 4 situation where they tried to add Call of Duty elements into the game not realizing people loved the series because it was an alternative to all the shoot em up, bang bang.

They've added a shitload here in the positive column; more unlockables, more titan abilities...looks like they are also implementing a robust clan system, etc. The grappling hook is god tier (so god tier making it tied to loadout as opposed to default for everyone seems like a bad design decision).

But if the first game was 50% human combat 50%robot combat, the number is more like 75% to 25% now. The robots are weaker (no shields) and their guns do less damage to humans. The AI squads that were around you that you could kill for XP/accelerate the Titan timer are gone and now as opposed to getting a robot ever 3 minutes they are now tied to killstreaks :( Those changes from the first make the atmosphere of the game feel less like a futuristic war you're a part of then COD, the Pacific Rim addition.

The only two problems the first game had were no singleplayer and being xbox only...by tweaking it to get more of the COD crowd they forget what made the game great was glorious robot on robot action. The core of the game is still phenomenal and I found myself trying to get time in a busy weekend to sneak in a game, but those mofos better walk some of that shit back. Theres one more open beta weekend on the 26th...give it a try.
300450, ? the ai grunts are still there
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Aug-22-16 02:08 PM

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
300451, In a Different capacity in the 'main' mode bounty hunter
Posted by BigReg, Mon Aug-22-16 02:38 PM
completely nonexistent in whatever they call their version of Domination is (when in the first Titanfall you could even program the bots to guard the checkpoints in addition to them 'helping' you fight for em)
300455, tying titans to killstreaks is the big bummer to me.
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Aug-22-16 03:53 PM
I loved that titanfall wasn't just "oh, you've gotta kill x people to get the big weapon you want"

I didn't get a chance to play the non-bounty modes

300460, Wait. Titanfall is based on Killstreaks now?
Posted by IkeMoses, Mon Aug-22-16 08:38 PM
Why the hell would they do that?

I'm reading Bounty Hunter mode is the closest thing they have to Attrition now too.

Attrition was all I played.

This has gone from automatic cop to wait and see. TF1 wasn't broke, but it sounds like they fixed it anyways.

300467, Attrition was all I played too
Posted by nipsey, Tue Aug-23-16 08:17 PM
The Tech test was a limited number of modes/weapons/titans, so I'll see what modes the full game offers. May not be as bad.

>Attrition was all I played.
300477, they're changing that back
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Aug-24-16 08:16 PM
http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/tech-test-and-feedback/

300478, good shit.
Posted by IkeMoses, Wed Aug-24-16 10:03 PM
300452, I loved the first one
Posted by IkeMoses, Mon Aug-22-16 03:13 PM
My main concern about TF2 is the movement. I keep hearing it's slower, but I also hear it's more momentum based with the grappling hook. Don't know what to make of that.

The movement was the main draw for me in the OG game. Sneaking around smart pistoling grunts and finding a Titan to rodeo was my shit. I loved ruining somebody's fun with their robot after they waited so long for it to drop.
300453, I think the slowness gripes are overrated.
Posted by BigReg, Mon Aug-22-16 03:26 PM
I think the beef is that the demo maps (which might not be a good rep of the maps in the final product) aren't perfect ninja wall crawling speedways as they were in the first one.

Imho it gets negated with the grappling hook which feels motherfucking awesome to use.

You run outta wall/miss a jump...you can grapple and keep it going to the next wall or use the hook to teleport to the ground fast.

It feels like an intentional design condition to use the hook more...only downside is that it takes a slot in your loadout...if the maps are going to be similar in design it should always be available
300456, the grappling hook is really good and wallrunning felt better
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Aug-22-16 03:58 PM

300459, good shit. but damn, i thought the hook was default
Posted by IkeMoses, Mon Aug-22-16 05:00 PM
300501, It's cool but I'm going to throw my time/$ at Battlefield 1
Posted by mrshow, Sat Aug-27-16 12:38 AM
What I played looks great and plays well though. I see people are complaining about it online but it seems like a fun game.
300510, Im on a wait and see for both. Titanfall improved itself in the week
Posted by BigReg, Mon Aug-29-16 10:03 AM
with the patch they added in; there were much more mechs which was a big problem with the original demo.

That said, EA is fucking up. No reason to drop both Battlefield and Titanfall within a week of each other...I want to get both (I wanna get Battlefield for the Harlem Hellfighters alone) but I know I can only fit at most one competitive shooter in my schedule.

>What I played looks great and plays well though. I see
>people are complaining about it online but it seems like a fun
>game.
300511, I want Battlefield strictly because I've loved the others
Posted by Paps_Smear, Mon Aug-29-16 10:47 AM
(aside from Hardline)

But damn Overwatch is satisfying all my competitive shooter needs right now. I'm just as hooked as day one and have been doing nothing but improving and completely shutting down games.

I'll have to see a bit more Battlefield but that's the one I'm leaning towards if I have to cop one. Titanfall was kinda meh for me.
301017, Uhh, this is fantastic. The FPS package of the year
Posted by BigReg, Mon Oct-31-16 12:27 PM
The singleplayer being the surprise stand out; as opposed to the war grind depression and destruction of a Gears of War or the pure old school FPS arcade bliss of Doom they went for the Portal/Half Life route and pulled it off (!!!).

First level starts like your generic military shooter (think Halo) but it just gets weirder and more inventive...second level takes place in an ever shifting level I can only describe as the video game representation Inception (or those current Dr.Stange shifting city landscape commercials)

It's so fun that I am surprised they didn't make it a heavier focus (online co-op, leader boards for individual maps, etc). If you count their COD work as Infinity Ward it's by a large margin the best singleplayer thing they've ever done; They are working on the next EA Star Wars game and this bodes very well for the singleplayer part of the project

The Multiplayer is better then TF1, but 'different' and I think that's why some of the old playerbase cried fowl.

The new movement options (grappeling hook, power slide) along with the wider variety of guns and other gadgets makes you feel like death incarnate on the field. This works both ways; death comes quick and sudden so if your twitch shooter skills aren't up to par you get exposed like I have been (where in TF1 simply being a "smart" player went a long way).

The Titan's feel weaker but its because there's a slight FPS Moba angle; as opposed to being fortresses of their own in TF1 they want you to chose titans based on each other's strengths (some are defensive/tanks, some are snipers, etc).

It's basically a full package of fun; I just hope it gets its just attention considering EA released it in the middle of a week between killers (Battlefield, COD)
301018, I really like this so far
Posted by Boogiedwn, Mon Oct-31-16 01:41 PM
I need to finish Gears but this is fun as well

The campaign is nice, haven't touched multi-player yet
301019, i can't wait. i'm on a new game moratorium until the Pro drops
Posted by IkeMoses, Mon Oct-31-16 02:19 PM
but i look forward to playing the hell out of this in a couple weeks.
301020, it looks so good even i'm thinking of getting it
Posted by bearfield, Mon Oct-31-16 02:19 PM
and i hate MP FPS games. the last one i played regularly was halo 2

titanfall 2 got a very rare 5 stars from noted cynic jeff gerstmann, most of his pleasure from the game coming from how it "feels," which is very important to a controls/responsiveness snob like me

a reviewer at eurogamer compared it to mario games (!) and halo 2

the post-launch support plan (all content free) seems great (though i'm sure there is some kind of loot box/gamble for skins thing coming soon)

it honestly sounds too good to be true
301021, Excellent single player so far. Really enjoying it
Posted by Lach, Mon Oct-31-16 08:07 PM
301027, finished the campaign yesterday
Posted by Boogiedwn, Wed Nov-02-16 10:27 AM
this was dope - looking forward to playing the multi-player now

forgot how nice that smart-gun was

fake Arnold is funny
301095, Do yourself a favor and buy this on Black Friday
Posted by mrshow, Sat Nov-12-16 10:14 PM
Picked this up for $35 from Target this week to fight election depression. Campaign is phenomenal. EA should've put this out in January.
301098, Yup. EA fucked up BAD
Posted by BigReg, Mon Nov-14-16 09:47 AM
>EA should've
>put this out in January.

Someone said its because it was more about them trying to steal some COD sales, which is ridiculous since that series is suffering its own general fatigue.

Still playing this EVERY day, im already on my 3rd generation pilot. Even shit like that they do better; as opposed to losing EVERYTHING and having to start completely from scratch...you can just buy the guns you like with the copious amount of ingame currency and keep on rocking and rolling with no hard detriment to wiping the slate. Just a well made, well thought out package all around.
301100, Yeah I don't get it
Posted by Lach, Mon Nov-14-16 03:27 PM
It's like having a big PPV fight at the same time the super bowl is airing.
301101, Especially when the first one released in March and sold hella well
Posted by IkeMoses, Mon Nov-14-16 04:12 PM
on one platform.
301105, I don't think there are any big FPS in the Q1 2017 either
Posted by mrshow, Tue Nov-15-16 01:23 AM
Maybe they should've left the "2" out of the title and call it Titanfall: Neo or some shit.

I'm seeing it for $30 now too. Hopefully, people will check it out.
301172, TitanFall 2 is now available for $35 on XBOX Live DIGITAL Download
Posted by nipsey, Thu Nov-24-16 07:30 PM
The Deluxe Edition is $48.
301173, Got it at Best Buy for PS4
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Fri Nov-25-16 01:21 AM
I'm gonna TRY to get to it this weekend, but I also got an Xbone with Gears 4 and Mafia 3...
301175, It's worth it man!
Posted by BigReg, Fri Nov-25-16 02:57 PM
>I'm gonna TRY to get to it this weekend, but I also got an
>Xbone with Gears 4 and Mafia 3...

At least give the single player a try; first real level is more like a tutorial but the second on?

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/058/582/779.gif
301177, lol, I got to it. Just finished the campaign on hard.
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Fri Nov-25-16 09:28 PM
The shooting and movement in this game are a lot of fun! Probably the best playing FPS I've played aside from Destiny.
301176, got it for pc for half price. finished the first tutorial mission
Posted by bearfield, Fri Nov-25-16 05:39 PM
i) man this game feels really good

ii) can you turn off the oppressive film grain

iii) i kind of wish i picked it up for ps4 or xone so i could play with HT

not sure how deep into the MP i'm going to get. i feel like competitive FPS games passed me by as i got older and my reflexes turned to shit. it could just be me being very rusty at these games though
301178, Fully addicted to the Bounty Hunt multiplayer mode
Posted by mrshow, Sat Nov-26-16 12:04 AM
I keep meaning to get back to Battlefield 1 but this shit has its claws in me.
302627, Try the new Fronter Defense mode
Posted by mrshow, Mon Jul-31-17 08:36 PM
Didn't think I'd still be playing this game almost a year in but here we are.
302628, Same here man
Posted by BigReg, Tue Aug-01-17 07:40 AM
I stopped for a few months cause of other games/real life; Hopped back in for the June update and regen'ed 3 times since, LOL.

Frontier Defense is great, only beef is that the stock matches are too long and if people leave ya fucked.

It's going 'free' on EA access this week too.