Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectI've never played a game with more frustrating controls.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=295676&mesg_id=295917
295917, I've never played a game with more frustrating controls.
Posted by stravinskian, Tue Jun-02-15 09:15 AM
I love it overall, but I'm something like fifteen hours in, and I still have to consciously work to remember what button does what (this is on PS4, by the way). Maybe that's just me, though.

The mechanics are a problem, too. Not just the fighting mechanics (which I can imagine I just haven't mastered, for the above reason), but just moving around is a chore. To loot an item or interact with an object, both the camera and the character need to be pointed at it, close enough but not too close, and even then there only seems to be about an 80% chance the "loot" (or whatever) icon will show up, so you might have to back up, try again, back up, try again. Maybe this is par for the course, but it's made especially bad because Geralt seems to have about three times as much inertia as he should. (Maybe that's why when you brush against someone in the street they bounce back by the equivalent of like three feet.)

Like I said, I love it overall, but it's a testament to the story and design that such a frustrating game is so universally hailed. I'm starting to see why there's a play mode where you just watch the cutscenes and don't do any actual interacting.