Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectummm I'm not sure about a 'guide,' but I'll try my best...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=295638&mesg_id=295788
295788, ummm I'm not sure about a 'guide,' but I'll try my best...
Posted by celery77, Sat May-23-15 03:48 PM
The big change is that all basic purple armor (i.e. vendor armor, purple engram decodes) begins with Light level 36, which is overall level 32 armor. +36 light equals the Crota Raid armor and a fully leveled Exotic pre-DLC. So it's easier than ever to get to level 32 and there's lots of equipment that will get you there.

In order to go PAST level 32, you need light level +42 armor. That can be an upgraded Exotic, which can be instantly upgraded with an Exotic shard (i.e. your Armamentarium can be upgraded to +42 with an Exotic shard and some small amount of extra materials), it can be some new DLC armor that can be unlocked in the new content (Prison of Elders, Trials of Osiris) that starts at +42, or if you get an item called Etheric Light you can 'Ascend' ANY purple armor to +42. So like my Vault of Glass raid set can be upgraded to +42 armor, level 34 gear if I get enough Etheric Light.

And basically all of that applies to weapons as well. All weapons (300 or 331 damage) can be upgraded to 365 damage by applying Etheric Light. All Exotic weapons can be upgraded to 365 damage with an Exotic Shard. When upgrading, you DO NOT lost experience progress, so you can take a fully leveled item and instantly upgrade it, no grind.

ALSO re: weapons, all new DLC weapons (with a 'II' in the corner) can be re-rolled for their perks at the gunsmith. So essentially every new gun is just a frame, and you can roll whatever perks you want on to it. Got a handcannon with a lame perk you don't like on it? No big deal! Just go to the gunsmith and re-roll! It costs a mote of light, some weapon parts, and glimmer. If you want a guide to the perk trees, I've been using one from reddit that shows what's possible, so I determine a desired perk build and then roll until I get it, or close to it (and some perks pre-DLC no longer exist, e.g. Field Scout, and there's some new ones, too, e.g. Hidden Hand, which boosts aim assist).

As for the 'new' gear, it's primarily unlocked via Prison of Elders, which is a 3-person fire-team, VERY challenging horde mode. I've been spending hours in there, working through a range of builds with teammates in order to get through things.

So anyway, in short the game is all about customization now. You get to choose your favorite play-style and then work for the gear that will support it. I haven't even got a new Exotic yet, I've only gotten one new Light +42 armor (allowing me to be level 33 with another Exotic), but I have got a bunch of new weapons that I've rolled up to suit my style. The best content is gated in the Prison of Elders, which has defined weekly drops as well as random chests, and you access the Prison by completed the new story missions. Nightfalls and Weeklies are Level 32 now, ummmm I think that's most of it. But yeah, Etheric Light is highly coveted, and Motes of Light are the key currency for weapon re-rolls, so those are key. The Speaker in the Tower has a big currency exchange to help with all this, although to see what's available you need to have the exchangeable item in your inventory. So yeah, tons of stuff, but mainly start building your dream arsenal is what you're doing at this stage of the game...