Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectyou need to adjust your expectations
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=295078&mesg_id=295121
295121, you need to adjust your expectations
Posted by bearfield, Wed Mar-25-15 10:12 PM
the souls games and bloodborne won't hold your hand like *insert modern AAA title here*. these games are deliberately obtuse. the point is for the player to figure out stuff on their own instead of having giant text boxes telling them how to play and where to go

think of bloodborne like a logical extension of the 8 and 16-bit castlevania/legend of zelda/metroid games. you're going to need the skills that you used to beat those older games to play bloodborne. memorizing enemy attack patterns, your own attack and evasion animation timings, learning the layout of the game world without a map. you know how to do all of that stuff but modern games have atrophied the "gaming muscles" you use to do those things

just give in to the game world. get immersed in it. forget about how other games play and just focus on how bloodborne plays. these games aren't hard but they are deliberate and punishing. if you play smart and carefully you'll be fine

fwiw, i HATED dark souls the first time i tried to play it. and the second time. the game didn't explain anything so i was hopelessly lost. i didn't know which weapon to use or which class to pick. i was dying to monsters in a few hits. i just didn't get it. but eventually it clicked and i learned to love the game. right now i'm closing in on my 170th hour of dark souls. it's my 4th playthrough. i'm trying to s-rank the achievements but i'm also having fun with the build i'm playing because it gives me an opportunity to use weapons and skills i didn't use in the previous 3 playthroughs

and i DO want to see you play this because it's extremely interesting to watch someone learn how to play a souls game