Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectHUGE PlayStation announcement on February 20th
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=279891
279891, HUGE PlayStation announcement on February 20th
Posted by The DC Sniper, Thu Jan-31-13 07:30 PM
https://us.playstation.com/meeting2013/

I'm giddy, niggas! This could be the Apple-style press conference reveal that's been rumored.
279892, Calling it: PS4(obviously) and a new Killzone game.
Posted by jetblack, Thu Jan-31-13 07:59 PM
279895, LOL
Posted by The DC Sniper, Thu Jan-31-13 08:03 PM
Nigga on Twitter said it might be to announce that PlayStation Home has come out of beta
279899, LOL... Home is a joke. PS+ is a triumph.
Posted by jetblack, Thu Jan-31-13 08:12 PM
I will definitely buy a launch console ESPECIALLY if it has BC to PS3. IF not I'll keep my PS3 slim.
279901, RE: LOL... Home is a joke. PS+ is a triumph.
Posted by The DC Sniper, Thu Jan-31-13 08:20 PM
>I will definitely buy a launch console ESPECIALLY if it has
>BC to PS3. IF not I'll keep my PS3 slim.

Honestly, that ain't really a big deal for me. What I'M worried about is all my PSN games. If I can't redownload those for free to PS4, that'll be some bullshit.
279896, PLAYSTATION 4!
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jan-31-13 08:08 PM
im coming back.
279900, Yes. And KZ4 will be a beast. The new Vita KZ
Posted by jetblack, Thu Jan-31-13 08:14 PM
looks great and you know they will put the best aspects of that game and KZ3 into a next gen beast.

http://www.destructoid.com/killzone-mercernary-a-real-vita-fps-finally-arrives-243677.phtml
279902, RE: Yes. And KZ4 will be a beast. The new Vita KZ
Posted by The DC Sniper, Thu Jan-31-13 08:49 PM
>looks great and you know they will put the best aspects of
>that game and KZ3 into a next gen beast.

If the Killzone franchise died today I wouldn't give a fuck. I just never got into it. I will, however, challenge your prediction. I think that the big PS4 launch game will be Infamous 3 or a new IP from Sucker Punch. Think about it. Their games seem to have a two year development cycle. Infamous came out in 2009. Infamous 2 came out in 2011. If Infamous 3 was coming out for PS3, they would've already announced it and it would be coming out this summer. I also think there exists the possibility of a new IP because Sony seems to abandon franchises every new generation. Think Sucker Punch ditching Sly for Infamous, Insomniac ditching Spyro for Ratchet, or Naughty Dog ditching Crash for Jak & Daxter and later Uncharted.
279903, i couldnt care less about killzone tbh.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jan-31-13 08:53 PM
i hate shooting games in general but killzone series is very low on my list
279904, KZ2 was the first online MP I played more than couple weeks
Posted by Nodima, Thu Jan-31-13 09:28 PM
since the first Modern Warfare. I'm not very into shooters either but the way Killzone does multiplayer was (is?) pretty compelling, and the look and feel of the guns was just great to me. Never tried Killzone 3 though.

For some reason I'm expecting more about what they're plans are with XMB and PSN going forward, an announcement that's relevant across both current platforms and whatever's in the future. I feel like it's too early to see hardware, games, controller or anything like that. Who knows, though.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
"I don't read pages of rap lyrics, I listen to rap music." © Bombastic
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
279905, It'll graphically defecate on the Xbox.. again.
Posted by Kira, Thu Jan-31-13 10:32 PM
It'll take developers at least a 14 months to grasp the hardware because of the complex architecture. Starting the next gen first will be a good thing because Sony's spent too much on R&D (word to those financial statements) in the past few years. It'll save me from buying a new Xbox.

I just hope they change the name of the console.
279906, RE: It'll graphically defecate on the Xbox.. again.
Posted by The DC Sniper, Thu Jan-31-13 11:12 PM
>It'll take developers at least a 14 months to grasp the
>hardware because of the complex architecture. Starting the
>next gen first will be a good thing because Sony's spent too
>much on R&D (word to those financial statements) in the past
>few years. It'll save me from buying a new Xbox.
>
>I just hope they change the name of the console.

Actually in terms of specs, the PS3 and the 360 are just about evenly matched. And according to the alleged leaks about the PS4 and 720, the 720 reportedly has twice as much RAM
279915, I bet there'll be a RAM upgrade option on PS+.
Posted by stravinskian, Fri Feb-01-13 09:16 AM

For people to download.
279932, Good usage of played out internet joke.
Posted by muzuabo, Fri Feb-01-13 02:58 PM
279935, That's what I'm here for.
Posted by stravinskian, Fri Feb-01-13 03:46 PM
280505, 1+
Posted by mtbatol, Thu Feb-21-13 08:25 PM
279907, lol
Posted by Rjcc, Thu Jan-31-13 11:21 PM

http://card.mygamercard.net/lastgame/rjcc.png

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
279914, Goddamn, Fanboys like you still exist?
Posted by BigReg, Fri Feb-01-13 09:08 AM
279917, lol
Posted by wallysmith, Fri Feb-01-13 10:05 AM
279961, Expendables: Console Warz Edition
Posted by JFrost1117, Sat Feb-02-13 07:38 AM
279927, and so it begins.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Fri Feb-01-13 01:15 PM
279908, I was playing Forza and I thought the buzz from my xbox was the
Posted by southphillyman, Thu Jan-31-13 11:27 PM
engine in the game bwhahahahahah
loud as FOCK
i hope it's a PS4 so I have an excuse to pay another console and dump this wack ass xbox
279909, WSJ says PS4 and 360 this holiday season.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Jan-31-13 11:28 PM
known? not known?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/31/3939410/wsj-playstation-orbis-ps4-will-arrive-later-in-2013
279912, I bet they show that next Shadow of Colossus game
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Fri Feb-01-13 02:52 AM
279916, Welp, a PS4 and Xbox720 in 2013 means the Wii U is a goner.
Posted by BigReg, Fri Feb-01-13 09:20 AM
With both Sony/Microsoft stumping hard for their systems in 2013 it will relegate Nintendo to third place this gen.

At least if they just had to deal with one competitor they could sit on their lead and and try to pick up momentum 2014 with some fan favorite releases around 2013 Xmas...it's not going to happen now with them fighting against two different multi-month and multi-million dollar ad campaigns. There is no where for them to fit in.

As far as who's going to win the war...it's going to be close. Apparently PS4 is going to have architecture/dev kits more aligned to what PC developers are comfortable with. This should help to erase the developer friendly environment advantage MS has had over the years.

I am also getting a bit sick of the artificial barriers Microsoft put up as far as Xbox Gold is concerned...with everything being connected online it's getting silly charging me 60 bucks a year for access. It's going to be interesting to see what Microsoft does to prove Xbox Live's worth it when PS plus gives you a shitload of games for free assuming that the PS4 will finally close the online functionality gaps Xbox Live had (cross game chats)

That said, Microsoft is 2 for 2 console wise even with some epic fails along the way...they've been they've been consistantly ahead of the curve of or quick to adapt(online console gaming, the merging of PC gaming culture with console, how they out Wii'ed the Wii with Kinect).

It's going to be a bloody war this gen and gaming will be better because of it.
279934, Nintendo really messed up with lack of killer 1st party software
Posted by Lach, Fri Feb-01-13 03:19 PM
Wii U should have launched with a new Zelda or Metroid or something. Not Super Mario Bros U. They botched their launch lineup by having a bunch of third party games that wre already out on the other consoles.
279936, Yeah, Im totally baffled
Posted by BigReg, Fri Feb-01-13 03:54 PM
>Wii U should have launched with a new Zelda or Metroid or
>something. Not Super Mario Bros U. They botched their launch
>lineup by having a bunch of third party games that wre already
>out on the other consoles.

It seems the goal for Wii U was built around, "Finally you can play the same games you've been playing for five years on Nintendo!"

They shouldn't have released it unless they had a game changer a la mario 64/Sunshine, Pokemon, or a major update of one of the hardcore Nintendo titles they haven't beaten to death in the past few years like you pointed it out.
279995, I called it in a previous post...
Posted by ChampD1012, Tue Feb-05-13 02:37 PM
>Wii U should have launched with a new Zelda or Metroid or
>something. Not Super Mario Bros U. They botched their launch
>lineup by having a bunch of third party games that wre already
>out on the other consoles.

Nintendo had to be banking that they had until 2014 before a 720 or PS4 appears.

If the PS4 announces a release date in 2013, Nintendo is in DEEP trouble...

you'll be able to get a Wii U used at Gamestop in no time.
280002, both ps4 and new xbox in 2013 = doom for wii u with no software
Posted by Lach, Tue Feb-05-13 03:38 PM
I mean I enjoy the wii u, but damn would I love to have some killer game on it right now. But aint nothing out there really compelling to get people to run out for the system. And what was the deal with them still not allowing people to play any other media on their console? Makes no sense considering they let you play your own media on the 3DS. It's like they keep unnecessarily shooting themselves in the foot. I keep thinking like what if it allowed me to play movies off my external hard drive and watch them on the game pad. That would be nice. But nope, Nintendo is still acting like it's 1995. Can't call it.
279942, RE: Welp, a PS4 and Xbox720 in 2013 means the Wii U is a goner.
Posted by The DC Sniper, Fri Feb-01-13 05:03 PM
Yeah, I don't see how Nintendo can justify selling their outdated system once the PS4 and 720 come out. They'll undoubtedly release a new system in the middle of this next generation.
279996, Nintendo won't release another console until 2018 at the earliest..
Posted by ChampD1012, Tue Feb-05-13 02:39 PM
By then, it might be too late...

279964, Didn't ppl feel the same way about the GameCube?
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Sat Feb-02-13 12:27 PM
People thought they were done, putting out a system that couldn't compete with MS and Sony.
Then they came out with the Wii.

While I think the Wii U is facing an uphill battle, I'm not counting out Nintendo as a whole.
279997, Gamecube to Wii was a different circumstance...
Posted by ChampD1012, Tue Feb-05-13 02:46 PM
The Wii was the cheapest compared to their competitors...especially compared to the PS3 price...they were charging 500-600 compared to 250...

the 360 was still around 300-400...

The Wii benefitted from undercutting the competition and STILL making a profit selling it for 250...the 360 and PS3 was losing money at those prices....

If the PS4 comes correct with the price...the Wii U is in huge trouble....Super Smash Bros. aint coming out until 2014...it will be too late then...Pikmin 3 won't be able to keep the competition at bay...
279929, RROD has made me a free agent this gen.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Fri Feb-01-13 01:28 PM
I'm going to wait (a couple years after both launches) and see how things play out. Both are competing for my living room space. So it's not so much about playing video games. I'm curious to see what they do.
279933, If Sony keeps that PS+ goodness going I'm not jumping ship.
Posted by muzuabo, Fri Feb-01-13 03:00 PM
279937, Word on the streets is Microsoft has some next gen death star ish lined up..
Posted by Kira, Fri Feb-01-13 04:05 PM
>I'm going to wait (a couple years after both launches) and
>see how things play out. Both are competing for my living
>room space. So it's not so much about playing video games.
>I'm curious to see what they do.

I'm purchasing whatever console doesn't have the highest failure rate. Lord knows those first gen xblocks failed at an alarming rate. That's balanced by the PS3's shitty game selection for 16 months.

I just want to know how they're convincing customers to buy these systems on day one. Graphics won't help because the PS3 has yet to be pushed to the max with GTA 5 coming out in September. I hope it's something great whatever it is.
279938, lol
Posted by BigReg, Fri Feb-01-13 04:15 PM
>Graphics won't help because the PS3
>has yet to be pushed to the max with GTA 5 coming out in
>September. I hope it's something great whatever it is.
>

We can't even consistently get games at 1080p at 60 frames for either system. Trust me, they have been maxed.

The graphical leap won't be HUGE this gen, but it will be substantial and noticeable now that everyone's gone high def. Plus with everyone still upgrading tube televisions & getting used to the new tech (tablets! smartphones! Hulu!) ive got a sneaking suspicion that if they make the systems look cool enough they will break records this Holiday season...the fetish for owning new tech the second it comes out is spreading.

Now after the nerds/spoiled teens like us buy up the first few initial shipments the question is how long will it take the rest of the mainstream to upgrade...it felt like it took a long time for everyone to put their PS2's away and finally upgrade.
279939, RE: lol
Posted by Kira, Fri Feb-01-13 04:56 PM
>We can't even consistently get games at 1080p at 60 frames for
>either system. Trust me, they have been maxed.
>
>The graphical leap won't be HUGE this gen, but it will be
>substantial and noticeable now that everyone's gone high def.
>Plus with everyone still upgrading tube televisions & getting
>used to the new tech (tablets! smartphones! Hulu!) ive got a
>sneaking suspicion that if they make the systems look cool
>enough they will break records this Holiday season...the
>fetish for owning new tech the second it comes out is
>spreading.
>
>Now after the nerds/spoiled teens like us buy up the first few
>initial shipments the question is how long will it take the
>rest of the mainstream to upgrade...it felt like it took a
>long time for everyone to put their PS2's away and finally
>upgrade.

This is the reason that next Xbox needs the Tegra 8. The Tegra 3 looks better than a PSP. Smartphones caught up graphically on the high end. It's going to take a lot to convince the consumer to shell out $700 for a console and games.

It's going to take a lot for me to even consider it. I need three years of live and two games to even touch the box.

Then again anything is a step up graphically for a 360 owner after the debacle that was early 360 games.
279943, Sorry man, this makes no sense.
Posted by BigReg, Fri Feb-01-13 05:10 PM
>This is the reason that next Xbox needs the Tegra 8. The Tegra
>3 looks better than a PSP. Smartphones caught up graphically
>on the high end. It's going to take a lot to convince the
>consumer to shell out $700 for a console and games.

No integrated chip can compete with a dedicated GPU. Yeah, it may look fancy in tech demos, but real world applications? LOL. It's why on the PC we are decades into the tech and it still sucks compared to $50 dollar discounted GPU's. Cellphone's are like at BEST 5 year's behind...notice you said PSP and not Vita. And still the frame rates you get on them suck...you're lucky to see shit in 30fps. (and we won't get into the dumbed down gameplay)

>Then again anything is a step up graphically for a 360 owner
>after the debacle that was early 360 games.

Still pushing the 360=PS2 and PS3=dah God nonsense? Id argue that graphically this is the closet generation graphically we've had between the leaders ever. The ports are indistinguishable, and the exclusives (Uncharted 3 vs Halo 4 for instance) have the same high quality.
279945, RE: Sorry man, this makes no sense.
Posted by Kira, Fri Feb-01-13 05:29 PM
>>This is the reason that next Xbox needs the Tegra 8. The
>Tegra
>>3 looks better than a PSP. Smartphones caught up graphically
>>on the high end. It's going to take a lot to convince the
>>consumer to shell out $700 for a console and games.
>
>No integrated chip can compete with a dedicated GPU. Yeah, it
>may look fancy in tech demos, but real world applications?
>LOL. It's why on the PC we are decades into the tech and it
>still sucks compared to $50 dollar discounted GPU's.
>Cellphone's are like at BEST 5 year's behind...notice you said
>PSP and not Vita. And still the frame rates you get on them
>suck...you're lucky to see shit in 30fps. (and we won't get
>into the dumbed down gameplay)

This is somewhat true but Microsoft needs its' integrated chip to be two years ahead of whatever PC card comes out this year.
>
>>Then again anything is a step up graphically for a 360 owner
>>after the debacle that was early 360 games.
>
>Still pushing the 360=PS2 and PS3=dah God nonsense? Id argue
>that graphically this is the closet generation graphically
>we've had between the leaders ever. The ports are
>indistinguishable, and the exclusives (Uncharted 3 vs Halo 4
>for instance) have the same high quality.
>

Final Fantasy 13 defecates on your statement as do a few other games released in that same window. If I was trolling like Wally I'd post a bunch of links from crap sources which prove my point. But I'm not so I'll K.I.M. I just hope Kaz demos the PS4 Madden and talks about the football having more RAM than their system.
279948, LLOOOOLLLO
Posted by wallysmith, Fri Feb-01-13 06:24 PM
>Final Fantasy 13 defecates on your statement as do a few other
>games released in that same window. If I was trolling like
>Wally I'd post a bunch of links from crap sources which prove
>my point. But I'm not so I'll K.I.M. I just hope Kaz demos the
>PS4 Madden and talks about the football having more RAM than
>their system.
>

Says the guy that thinks a judge that presided over Apple vs Motorola is "crap sources".

Keeping
It
Retarded
Always

Glad to see you're sticking true to this here in High Tech too

279950, Phandroid's not a legit source you troll
Posted by Kira, Fri Feb-01-13 06:50 PM
Neither is techcrunch but don't let that stop you from posting clickbait... More on this later.
279952, You really are a fucking idiot.
Posted by wallysmith, Fri Feb-01-13 07:02 PM
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=266716&mesg_id=266716&page=#279923

Copy pasted from post 221:

"Please tell me which swipes are from Android blogs. I would love to see it. And I love how you you're saying the following sources aren't "credible":

The Atlantic
The Verge
Groklaw
Ars Technica
CNET
Engadget
IDC (International Data Corporation)

These are the sources I posted in #216... do any of them look like android blogs?"

And you still have yet to comment on Judge Posner's stance on stifled innovation.

And my response on why Microsoft isn't a player in this.

And my response on why HTC isn't a player in this.

And my response on Apple's stock price.

And my response on "publically released evidence shits all over this post".

And my response on the difference between "willful" and "not willful" infringement.

And my response on invalidated patents.

And my response on USPTO taking steps to reform a broken system.

And my response on "declining" Samsung smartphone shipments.

I love how YOUR only response to any and all of my points are cries of "fanboy" and "clickbait" and "troll". It's hilarious. You argue like a fourth grader in remedial English. You have absolutely nothing to back up your statements so you consistently turn to irrelevant insults and nonsensical positions. Please keep this up. You're really making me day.
279940, RE: lol
Posted by The DC Sniper, Fri Feb-01-13 04:59 PM
I think the big test for Sony is whether PS4 can deliver 3D games in 60fps 1080p, assuming they haven't completely abandoned 3D, which I hope they haven't. I could understand being pessimistic 2 years ago but now there's more and more people who have 3D TVs. Every time I get off work and go to Best Buy for a new release in 3D, they're always sold out.
279944, I think 3d Gaming is a wrap
Posted by BigReg, Fri Feb-01-13 05:17 PM
It doesn't have a killer app yet. People who've played love it, but nothing has caused people to go run out and buy it or else PS3 would have started taking heads again since they are the only game in town with it.

While gamer's love bigger and better, they aren't really used to major changes. It's like how traditional controllers won't be going anywhere for a loooong time even though we are in a time where there are major changes happening in how we communicate with computers.

Having em sit down with 4 pairs of 3d glasses with their friends in a dorm is going to be a hard thing to sell (especially at those prices).
279949, CES coulda told you 3D is a wrap.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Fri Feb-01-13 06:24 PM
Most of the new set announcements weren't pushing the 3D angle.
279958, that's complete bullshit and you should punch whoever said it
Posted by Rjcc, Fri Feb-01-13 08:54 PM

279965, I said it.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Sat Feb-02-13 12:28 PM
I was surprised at the lack of 3D talk during all the announcements
given how big it was the last two years.
I mean, you were there so correct me if I"m wrong.
But it seemed most talk was about 4K and smart TV's.
280028, then it's good I thought you were out of town I'da needed to punch you!
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Feb-06-13 02:25 PM
All of those 4K TVs, pretty much every smart TV....is 3D.

there's nothing to talk about because it's everywhere. You can't advertise a feature that everyone has. Nobody says, yo, our phone makes calls! shockingly, phones still make calls.

279946, Microsoft never has next gen death star shit lined up
Posted by Tw3nty, Fri Feb-01-13 05:31 PM
dont even get your hopes up
279963, this is interesting i think
Posted by southphillyman, Sat Feb-02-13 12:16 PM
> Both are competing for my living
>room space. So it's not so much about playing video games.

ppl on here (and most game forums) were on some 'fuck multimedia it's all about the gamez bro' tip early in this gen
like ppl literally arguing that they don't want a blu ray built into their console (lol)
well of course we saw xbox completely flip flop and begin integrating all around media entertainment into the experience a couple of yrs in
sony definitely saw the market going in a certain direction and was innovative in that way
if they can expand on that going forward maybe ppl will buy in this time

279951, Think it'll launch with Uncharted 4?
Posted by mrshow, Fri Feb-01-13 07:02 PM
279953, RE: Think it'll launch with Uncharted 4?
Posted by The DC Sniper, Fri Feb-01-13 07:28 PM
I highly doubt it. Naughty Dog is already releasing The Last of Us in May. I believe it'll either be Infamous 3 or Killzone 4
279955, I would truthfully bet on some new shit.
Posted by Nodima, Fri Feb-01-13 07:53 PM
Name the Sony IPs that were successful.

Name the Sony IPs that were successful that jumped consoles.

(note: I've been drinking and may forget that many of their icons were never owned by Sony at any point.)

~~~~~~~~~
279957, RE: I would truthfully bet on some new shit.
Posted by The DC Sniper, Fri Feb-01-13 08:45 PM
>Name the Sony IPs that were successful.
>
>Name the Sony IPs that were successful that jumped consoles.

God of War? But, yeah I mentioned the possibility of a new IP in my reply to jetblack. I'd give it a 50/50 chance of a sequel versus a new IP. A new franchise would be a great way to give the new console a fresh start and show off its tech, but at the same time I think people might also want something familiar and know what they're getting into if they're going to fork out hundreds of dollars. I wouldn't be surprised if the big launch game was a new Gran Turismo. I wanna ask you a serious question, though. What do you think are the chances of the big launch game being The Last Guardian? It kinda makes sense. It's reportedly still in development, yet no one's heard about that shit in years.
279954, thought Uncharted was done?
Posted by ternary_star, Fri Feb-01-13 07:47 PM
hope it is, actually. i don't know how much they can wring out of that storyline.
279956, the story doesn't sell me on Uncharted.
Posted by Nodima, Fri Feb-01-13 08:01 PM
I mean we're talking games, not movies. Both games I've played in the series (especially Uncharted but even 2) left me wanting on the stories and settings, but the presentation and atmosphere of it was just wild. I'm still curious about 3. But I played both of those games just this past fall and if I were scoring them, I probably gave Uncharted a 2.5 and Uncharted 2 a 3.5. Neither game was perfect by any stretch, and both of their final thirds (not even just the boss, but the whole reasoning of a boss) were awful. I'd kill for an Uncharted that was like the first hour or two of the original, with no enemies and lots of lush environments. Emphasize exploration instead of combat and you've got a killer 4th game / reboot.

All that said, I'm still worried that Last of Us is going to trump GTA V as the best game of the generation. Worried being a misuse of words.

~~~~~~~~~
279970, edge got the dirt (swipe)
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sun Feb-03-13 04:05 AM
http://www.edge-online.com/news/playstation-4-revealed/

Development sources with working knowledge of both next generation consoles have told us that PlayStation 4 will be more powerful than the next Xbox, will ship with a redesigned controller and launch by the end of the year in Japan and the US. PlayStation 4’s European launch will follow in early 2014.

Sony is set to reveal its next PlayStation on Wednesday February 20th at an event dubbed ‘see the future’. Sony Computer Entertainment released a teaser video last night to announce the event. Below, our sources revealed what to expect from PlayStation 4.

The controller

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use.

A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

The launch

We’re told that PlayStation 4 will launch in Japan and the US by Christmas, with a Euro rollout following in early 2014, the delay attributed to the complexities involved in European distribution. Alongside the console, Sony will also introduce a new, improved iteration of its PlayStation Eye peripheral, which remains compatible with the PlayStation Move controller. Move will be available at launch, but it’s not clear yet whether it will be bundled with the hardware. Sony has already earned an enormous amount of goodwill among studios working with PS4 development hardware. Privately, Sony representatives have conceded that the company made a mistake in creating such esoteric architecture for PS3, and its strategy for PS4 gives developers more opportunities this time around, notably because the hardware is much more PC-like in its makeup than PS3.

We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbis’s 4GB, Sony’s GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, we’ve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsoft’s 8GB.

Both platforms are driven by eight-core AMD CPUs clocked at 1.6GHz, with Microsoft opting for a D3D11.x GPU from an unknown source and Sony utilising a more capable solution in AMD’s ‘R10XX’ architecture, alongside the so-called ‘Liverpool’ system-on-chip.

It’s clear Sony has designed a system that, on paper, outperforms Microsoft’s next Xbox. One source familiar with both platforms tells us that in real terms Sony’s console is “slightly more powerful” and “very simple to work with”.

Ultimately, the performance differences between the two consoles will have as much bearing on multiplatform releases as the differences between PS3 and 360 – very little – but Sony will be expecting big-budget firstparty releases such as the PS4 Uncharted sequel to demonstrate its console’s superiority.
279971, thank god they smartened up on the system memory
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Sun Feb-03-13 05:07 AM

http://soundcloud.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://twitter.com/DJShinobiShaw
https://twitter.com/RareFormNYC
PSN: ShinobiShaw

"Arm Leg Leg Arm How you doin?" (c)T510
279974, Amen
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Sun Feb-03-13 02:15 PM
That all sounds good.
279972, Uncharted sequel?
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Sun Feb-03-13 01:01 PM
279973, shitty game informer was talking about this two issues ago
Posted by southphillyman, Sun Feb-03-13 02:00 PM
developers have BOTH architectures already
but word is the sony one is better
doesn't really mean shit ultimately i think
ps3 was harder to develop for but i think overall it was better in every way over xbox360
doesn't matter if perception is otherwise and every video game commercial on tv concludes with "now available on xbox360"
that's why i said i wonder if the windows8 and surface flop will affect the game division
cause if M$ pumps a ton of money into marketing and 3rd party extras none of this shit will matter and ppl will run to the inferior console regardless
279998, I doubt it...
Posted by ChampD1012, Tue Feb-05-13 02:51 PM
Sony has been losing money across the board in alot of their divisions...

I wonder if one of these companies leaves the gaming division because of the money lost in the other sectors of their respective companies?
280004, Right now I can't see it happening
Posted by BigReg, Tue Feb-05-13 04:08 PM
>Sony has been losing money across the board in alot of their
>divisions...
>
>I wonder if one of these companies leaves the gaming division
>because of the money lost in the other sectors of their
>respective companies?

Even though they've burned so much money staying in the game, considering both companies are in a dark era it's their one positive.

The Playstation brand is the only link to the Sony of old before Korean companies and Apple stole all their swag.

And Microsoft has had a hard-on to control the living room for decades, remember their old web-tv debacles? Kinect is probably the coolest shit that company had ever done, lol.

280005, Nintendo leaves before Sony or Microsoft
Posted by Kira, Tue Feb-05-13 04:48 PM
It's becoming increasingly difficult to turn a profit in an era of mobile games and expensive dev cycles. Nintendo's services barely compete with current gen tech.

Microsoft got that death star on the way and something tells me it will blow away the Wii U. Sony coming as well. Nintendo needs a new system in three years at most to compete.

The Wii U would sell in 2010. However, in 2013 it might begin the fall of Nintendo.
280014, I think these will be very prescient words
Posted by The DC Sniper, Tue Feb-05-13 08:22 PM
280007, LOL
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Feb-05-13 05:14 PM
there are and have always been just as many sony funded ads that ended with the playstation logo.

279978, This is just bullshit from Sony's marketing department
Posted by The DC Sniper, Mon Feb-04-13 08:41 AM
Unless they have a mole at Microsoft, how the fuck do they know the PS4 is more powerful?
279999, All I want know is HOW MUCH?
Posted by ChampD1012, Tue Feb-05-13 02:54 PM
280009, I'm guessing $499
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Tue Feb-05-13 06:51 PM
Wasn't the launch PS3 $600?
280013, RE: I'm guessing $499
Posted by The DC Sniper, Tue Feb-05-13 08:21 PM
>Wasn't the launch PS3 $600?

Yeah, hopefully Sony learned their lesson. They can't release another $600 console. Even $499 seems a little scary to me. I think anything higher than $450 might turn off consumers.
280021, The PS3 Launch was $500 for 20 GB, $600 for 60 GB...
Posted by ChampD1012, Wed Feb-06-13 10:10 AM
If they decide to release two versions again...it can't be higher than 400 for the low end and 500 for the high end...

If they seriously want to eliminate nintendo...

300 for the low end and 400 for the high end...if this happens, its copped on the first day...and i am sending the wii u out to pasture...
280026, RE: The PS3 Launch was $500 for 20 GB, $600 for 60 GB...
Posted by The DC Sniper, Wed Feb-06-13 01:40 PM
>If they decide to release two versions again...it can't be
>higher than 400 for the low end and 500 for the high end...
>
>If they seriously want to eliminate nintendo...
>
>300 for the low end and 400 for the high end...if this
>happens, its copped on the first day...and i am sending the
>wii u out to pasture...

No way it'll be cheaper than the Wii U
280029, one can dream can't they...
Posted by ChampD1012, Wed Feb-06-13 03:24 PM
if the high end ps4 is 400, it won't be...and the entry level ps4 at 300 would be the same price as the entry level wii u...

Nintendo announced that even though sales are lower than expected...they don't plan to do a price drop anytime soon like they had to do with the 3DS...
280253, 1,500
Posted by hardware, Fri Feb-15-13 10:48 AM
280011, What I would like to see…
Posted by muzuabo, Tue Feb-05-13 06:59 PM
TB hard drives and cloud based gaming ala steam. We're in the download era. The disc format is practically dead.
280012, RE: What I would like to see…
Posted by The DC Sniper, Tue Feb-05-13 08:18 PM
>TB hard drives and cloud based gaming ala steam. We're in
>the download era. The disc format is practically dead.

Sony tested the digital waters with PSPGo and had no takers, so obviously physical media is very much alive, but I think it's fairly evident that the PS4/720/Wii U generation is going to be the last disc-based consoles.
280033, The Vita wasn't giving console-like quality.
Posted by muzuabo, Wed Feb-06-13 04:41 PM
Not to mention the Vita is actually competing with smartphones as well. A lot of people use smartphones as a handheld gaming device. I don't think Sony factored that in when they came out with the Vita. I think the age demographic they were targeting is pretty satisfied with using either their iPhone or Android device to game.
280016, This is why I'm excited about what Steam is doing.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Tue Feb-05-13 10:23 PM
Not sure their "Steambox" is going to get released this year, but the idea of bringing the Steam culture to the TV is nice.
280045, unrelated: how jarring is "599 USD" still
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Feb-06-13 08:34 PM
every time i see it i'm like http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs4/1877074_o.gif

lmao.
280046, in this age of ppl getting new iphones every yr.....nah
Posted by southphillyman, Wed Feb-06-13 08:38 PM
280048, I'm sayin. ipad minis were damn near impossible to find from Nov-Dec
Posted by Lach, Wed Feb-06-13 09:28 PM
I was able to find my son one for Christmas about 50 miles from the crib.
280066, Looks like the magic number might be $399
Posted by The DC Sniper, Thu Feb-07-13 04:42 PM
They'll most likely sell it at a loss like the PS3 but at $399 they'll sell a lot of systems and make a killing on publishing in the long-term

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/06/rumor-ps4-in-japan-later-this-year-will-cost-more-than-400/

Rumor: PS4 in Japan later this year, will cost more than $400

The PlayStation 4 – which is currently expected to be announced on February 20 – will be available later on this year in both Japan and the US and will carry a hefty price, according to a translation of a report found in respected Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun. The Japanese version, says the translated report, will cost "greater than 40,000 yen," which means it will be more than $400 there.

Asahi adds there will be a rush to meet sales demands on both sides of the world, but the paper doesn't specify a US price; however, the PlayStation 3 launched at $500 when it came to North America, and cost 49,980 yen in Japan, around $535. So Asahi's report suggests that whatever the next generation PlayStation's price is, it will likely be slightly cheaper than the PS3 was at launch.

There's also no mention of a European launch, and the PS3's launch was indeed delayed in Europe by hardware shortages. Hopefully, Sony will clear all this up on February 20.
280074, I'm worried the tier system is here to stay, though
Posted by Nodima, Thu Feb-07-13 05:38 PM
and there will be something like a 60GB launch system in Japan and it's the baseline model here, with a 200GB system with HDMI cable, one year of Playstation Plus and two Instant Games pre-installed exclusive to console buyers is $500 or some such.

~~~~~~~~~
280260, LMAO that gif doe
Posted by DolphinTeef, Fri Feb-15-13 02:39 PM
280234, PS4 prototype controller pic leaked
Posted by The DC Sniper, Thu Feb-14-13 06:03 PM
Hopefully the real thing looks better because this thing looks colossally stupid.

http://www.destructoid.com/what-the-hell-is-this-the-new-playstation-controller--244985.phtml

Remember when we told you of rumblings on the next PlayStation system's controller and how it might have a touchscreen? Well, get a look at this strange thing. This image looks like a PlayStation-style controller plugged into something that looks like a development kit.

It does look like a touchscreen has been worked into the middle of the controller. What's that thing on the top? Also, get a load of those analog sticks. They look like belly buttons. Gross!

Apparently they've tried out several versions of controllers for whatever this next game system is; it's possible that this is one of them.

There's a chance we'll know more next week at Sony's big reveal of...something in New York.

I like the touchscreen thing (if that's what it is), but I was kind of hoping that this is fake so I don't have to think any harder about what the blue light is for. Don't say it!
280236, What's wrong with it? Looks like a DS3 with a touch screen
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Thu Feb-14-13 06:46 PM
Bet the light changes colors like the Move controlled and does basically the same shit.
280239, RE: What's wrong with it? Looks like a DS3 with a touch screen
Posted by The DC Sniper, Thu Feb-14-13 07:12 PM
It looks like a Mad Catz controller
280241, If that does, then the DS3 does too.
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Thu Feb-14-13 07:20 PM
You're used to seeing the DS3 either in person or in a professional marketing shot with studio lighting.

Take a picture of one with your cell phone. It'll look just like that minus the screen and blue light.
280246, RE: If that does, then the DS3 does too.
Posted by The DC Sniper, Thu Feb-14-13 10:31 PM
Real talk, tho. Can you think of one good use for that touch screen? I can't. Maybe a battery indicator. Aside from that this looks like another stupid gimmick just like Six axis.
280325, You can pick plays in NFL2k1 without your opponent seeing?
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Tue Feb-19-13 02:16 PM
Seriously tho, any thing you could have done with a VMU aside from taking it away from the system seems plausible with a touch screen. Or a lot of stuff the Wii-U can do as well, although it's a bit constrained by the size of the dual shock.
280237, I don't think it's stupid looking.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Thu Feb-14-13 06:54 PM
In fact it makes sense. I don't expect either Sony or MS to stray too far from either of the controller designs from the previous generation. As long as the screen additions don't make it any heavier than the previous dual shock, I dont' have a problem with it.
280238, I was wondering...
Posted by JFrost1117, Thu Feb-14-13 06:55 PM
How much would stay under wraps until 2/20.
280240, they gotta switch those sticks back man
Posted by Nodima, Thu Feb-14-13 07:19 PM
A) I can't deal with the way 360's sticks are anyway, my fingers always slide off of them (counter to regular use of either sticks, I know)

B)it looks like inverted titties

~~~~~~~~~
280243, RE: they gotta switch those sticks back man
Posted by The DC Sniper, Thu Feb-14-13 08:13 PM
Naw, man. I hope they make them concave. My thumbs always slip off the convex sticks on the DS3
280242, Please please please let those be bigger than the DS3's.
Posted by wallysmith, Thu Feb-14-13 08:11 PM
I'm leaning towards getting the PS4 for this upcoming gen but those controllers cramp my hands something fierce.
280244, looks alright to me...
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Thu Feb-14-13 09:20 PM
280268, This is some nerd shit right here.
Posted by Cold Truth, Fri Feb-15-13 10:14 PM
>Hopefully the real thing looks better because this thing
>looks colossally stupid.

That's a colossal overreaction.
It looks like a slightly modified Dual Shock.
It's the same controller with a small screen on it.

I'm guessing you're pissed off over slightly modified Star Wars releases.
280250, Tired of purchasing new consoles...
Posted by final_prospect82, Fri Feb-15-13 03:03 AM
I purchased my PS3 slim back in 2010 I believe.

The same reason why I stopped playing Madden. New game comes out each year and it's too similiar to the previous one.

I'll stick with my PS3 for at least the next 2 years.
280254, i mean, the PS3 came out in 06
Posted by hardware, Fri Feb-15-13 10:51 AM
its time

but yeah, i think sports games are gonna have to figure out a better system at some point
280271, Damn you're right
Posted by final_prospect82, Fri Feb-15-13 10:37 PM
Time flys by...

Still a little salty over the release news.

These games need to be significantly better than ps3
280274, This nigga here...
Posted by Kira, Sat Feb-16-13 12:11 AM
>These games need to be significantly better than ps3

... is on point.

I need to visible tears in snake's clothing in the rain. I need it to move with the wind.

Madden needs realistic sweat. I need an legit half time show in HD at 240 fps.

FORZA/GTA better come with something other than new light effects.

GTA 5 needs to be 10 times larger than the largest open world game. I need realistic gun physics too.

I need video chat while playing online multiplayer.

Static backgrounds need to go. Computers better be 'putin and that screen better be busy while I'm idle.
280278, RE: This nigga here...
Posted by Lach, Sat Feb-16-13 11:44 AM
>I need video chat while playing online multiplayer.

This part may be a doozy if everyone doesn't have tremendous bandwith. I know right now I'm behind the curve with my 6mbps dsl. I can't wait till my subdivision gets fully developed so we can get cable internet in this piece.
280299, i went from FIOS to crappy Comcast...
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Mon Feb-18-13 11:00 AM
...my speeds were blazing now they are a joke
280280, RE: This nigga here...
Posted by The DC Sniper, Sat Feb-16-13 12:33 PM
Naw, what you need to do is buy the 720/PS4 if you ever want to play these games again.
280256, You can cop a PS4/720 5 years from now..
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Fri Feb-15-13 01:08 PM
... and be ok.

Every generation lasts slightly longer than the previous.
280281, Report: PlayStation 4 Will Stream Games
Posted by The DC Sniper, Sat Feb-16-13 01:32 PM
You knew this was gonna happen when a company with no money bought Gaikai for $400 million. What the fuck is this gonna do to bandwidth? Do yall think this is gonna be for full games or just demos?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/16/report-playstation-4-will-stream-games

Report: PlayStation 4 Will Stream Games

“The new technology… will allow users to play games delivered over the Internet…”

by Colin Moriarty FEBRUARY 15, 2013

Not surprisingly, the PlayStation 4 rumors have been flowing as of late. With the expected reveal of the console coming this Wednesday, February 20 in New York City, it only makes sense that little bits of information would begin to emerge about what we’ll be seeing.

The newest rumor is in regard to the next PlayStation’s ability to stream games. The Wall Street Journal is reporting that “Sony Corp. is planning to offer technology to stream games to its next videogame console,” according to its own sources.

The new technology, to be unveiled Wednesday along with the new console, will allow users to play games delivered over the Internet, these people said. The streaming service, they added, is designed to use current PlayStation 3 titles on the new console; the new device is also expected to play new games stored on optical discs.

As WSJ points out, such a move on Sony’s part would be unsurprising. Even when it was drowning in red ink, it still took a massive risk when it bought streaming service Gaikai for $380 million. There is absolutely no doubt that, with an investment that significant at such a difficult time for Sony, Gaikai's technology will be poised to play an important role in Sony’s future.

Streaming games to PlayStation 4 (and perhaps other Sony devices) would be significant, giving gamers access to a wide array of titles that they never had to purchase outright. This could suggest that Sony may have a game rental-like service on its next PlayStation, or perhaps even a new subscription service that would give gamers access to a library of offerings. At this point, everything remains speculative.

We've reached out to Sony for official comment and will update when we hear back. In the meantime, catch up on all of the pertinent PlayStation 4 news and rumors, including (but not limited to) information on PS4's controller, word of a new LittleBigPlanet and the possibility of Killzone 4 being a launch title.
280282, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tETagTJlMa0
Posted by Kira, Sun Feb-17-13 12:41 AM
280295, They just ticked off one of the boxes on my list.
Posted by muzuabo, Sun Feb-17-13 10:06 PM
280303, Spec breakdown of two consoles (swipe)
Posted by southphillyman, Mon Feb-18-13 01:29 PM
better if u read from source tho

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-spec-analysis-durango-vs-orbis

The next console war has yet to begin but the battle lines have already been drawn and the processing firepower available to Microsoft and Sony is now a known quantity. It's Durango vs. Orbis, and it's a console head-to-head quite unlike anything we've seen before. The raw technological building blocks powering each next-gen console are designed by the same people, and the raw architecture is almost identical in nature as a consequence. The differences between the two consoles are less pronounced than in any preceding console generation: fundamentally, Sony and Microsoft faced the exact same challenges and went to the same people to find the solution, resulting in very similar end-products. However, there are differences between Durango and Orbis, and they reflect how the platform holders envisage the evolution of the home console.

We won't dwell too much on the known similarities between the two consoles, but we've already mentioned that both the next generation Xbox and its PlayStation competitor feature the same CPU - an eight-core AMD offering running at 1.6GHz and based on its forthcoming low-power, high-performance architecture, Jaguar. From a graphics perspective, AMD is also offering the same tech to both manufacturers: the GCN core, as found in the highly popular Radeon HD 7xxx graphics cards.

Here's where we see our first point of divergence: GPU rendering is all about spreading the computational load across many cores and we find that the new Xbox has 12 of these "Compute Units" (CUs), while Orbis has 18 - a 50 per cent advantage. These numbers have been hotly contested in the last couple of weeks but our Orbis sources confirm the Sony side of the equation, while SuperDAE's leak - in combination with proof of his claims supplied to us behind the scenes - confirms the Durango CU count. The information there is around nine months old, hailing from Durango's beta period - in theory, the hardware could be improved, but practically it's almost impossible for this to actually happen. You can't just slap on some extra hardware without setting back your production schedule significantly by many months.

Can you believe the rumours?
Since the turn of the year, the next-gen stories have been coming at you thick and fast. The question is, can you believe anything you read about machines that have yet to make it into production? After all, neither Sony or Microsoft have even announced their new hardware, let alone revealed the technical specifications. How can you trust the information you are reading? Perhaps we should assess the quality of the data we have available and explain why we have confidence in it.
From our perspective we see three different unique sources of information all saying much the same thing. Firstly, and most importantly, there are our own contacts in the games business, some of whom are working on next-gen console titles as we speak. Then there's the online "rumour network", where developers and ex-developers spill their secrets on online forums or share information privately where it eventually leaks onto the same message boards, often introducing inaccuracies or misinterpretations. Such sources need to be treated with caution, often influenced by wish fulfilment.
And finally there's the wild card - SuperDAE, arch-leaker extraordinaire, undeniably in possession of early dev kits and the crucial documentation that goes with them. From talking with him directly in order to verify his leaks, we know his information - typically posted on vgleaks.com - is entirely accurate, the only question being how old it is, and whether the hardware has improved since he received his data. He also has - somehow - hands-on access to non-final next-gen dev kits and his pictures of an older Durango dev kit having been verified by trusted sources.
In the case of the brush-strokes of the Durango and Orbis specs, not only do we have double-sourced information of our own, but we also have an extra form of backup in the form of these other leaks. Therefore, our belief is that the specs we are discussing are not only accurate, but very, very close - if not identical - to the make-up of the final hardware.
So does the GPU difference translate into as large an advantage as it sounds? VGleaks' Orbis spec, again derived from platform holder documentation, suggests that four of these CUs are reserved for Compute functions, conceivably bringing the PlayStation's raw advantage down from 50 per cent to just over 16. However, while Compute is often used for elements like physics calculations, there's nothing to stop coders hiving off specific graphics features to this hardware - Just Cause 2, for example, used NVIDIA's own Compute solution, CUDA, for enhanced water effects, while a core element of Battlefield 3 - the deferred shading solution that power its beautiful lighting - is handled via DirectX 11 Compute shader code.

VGLeaks' block diagram of Durango's technological make-up, almost certainly leaked from official Microsoft documentation. It's a complex design indicative of a machine that's about more than gaming - a state of affairs backed up by the presence of an HDMI input.
Durango uses an approach similar to PC, where the developers choose how to allocate GPU resources between rendering and Compute. A potential bottleneck can be seen here, however: rendering and Compute will compete for resources on the 12 Radeon GCN cores on the Microsoft console, while Orbis has dedicated Compute hardware and still commands a rendering advantage in terms of CU count.

Other information has also come to light offering up a further Orbis advantage: the Sony hardware has a surprisingly large 32 ROPs (Render Output units) up against 16 on Durango. ROPs translate pixel and texel values into the final image sent to the display: on a very rough level, the more ROPs you have, the higher the resolution you can address (hardware anti-aliasing capability is also tied into the ROPs). 16 ROPs is sufficient to maintain 1080p, 32 comes across as overkill, but it could be useful for addressing stereoscopic 1080p for instance, or even 4K. However, our sources suggest that Orbis is designed principally for displays with a maximum 1080p resolution.

The 'secret sauce' debate
There's an argument that suggests that comparing Durango and Orbis on these terms is not realistic; that the platform holders have far more control over the design of the silicon than the raw specs suggest; that they can be adapted with manufacturer-specific 'secret sauce' customisations.

The raw teraflop measurements being mooted - 1.23TF for Durango and 1.84TF for Orbis - have been dismissed as meaningless, and to a certain extent that is true. However, check out AMD's specs page for all of its various GCN hardware and you'll find similar metrics based a very easy formula derived from clock speed and CU count. It's not the be-all-and-end-all of processing power of course, but these are accurate measurements used by AMD itself in giving a broad assessment of the raw computational power of the parts it creates. You'll find that the next-gen console parts slot in quite nicely with their PC equivalents - in short, the teraflop metrics aren't much use in isolation but they are effective for comparison purposes in terms of base hardware capabilities.

This is not to suggest that Durango and Orbis don't have custom hardware, however. They do, but even here we see a great deal of commonality between the two systems as engineers posed with the same problems come up with similar solutions: both have dedicated hardware video encoders and decoders (expect both consoles to be capable of recording and sharing gameplay footage with no impact to game performance), and both have custom audio processors and support for hardware de-archiving of LZ-compressed assets (think of this as support for lossless compression like ZIP files).

But here we do see some intriguing enhancements that are Durango-specific. Its 'Data Move Engines' carry out hardware compression as well as decompression (and support for JPEG too - perhaps to handle Kinect camera streams), while there is also support for texture swizzling. However, the main takeaway here is that core elements of the Move Engine functionality are apparently designed to extract the best performance from a RAM set-up that is much more complex (and slower) than its Orbis equivalent. Elsewhere, most of the custom hardware works to ease the CPU burden, not to improve GPU performance, so those hoping for 'secret sauce' to overcome Orbis's theoretical graphics advantages are probably going to be disappointed.

Durango: tentative specs
This leaked spec for the next-gen Xbox comes from SuperDAE, a source known - however improbably - to be in possession of Durango hardware and documentation, a story we have covered in the past. Based on our discussions we believe that the information he has is, at most, nine months old - a point where the machine's make-up will almost certainly have been finalised.
Central Processing Unit:
x64 Architecture
Eight CPU cores running at 1.6GHz
Each CPU thread has its own 32KB L1 instruction cache and 32 KB L1 data cache
Each module of four CPU cores has a 2MB L2 cache resulting in a total of 4MB of L2 cache
Each core has one fully independent hardware thread with no shared execution resources
Each hardware thread can issue two instructions per clock
Graphics Core:
Custom D3D11.1 class 800-MHz graphics processor
12 shader cores providing a total of 768 threads
Each thread can perform one scalar multiplication and addition operation (MADD) per clock cycle
At peak performance, the GPU can effectively issue 1.2 trillion floating-point operations per second
High-fidelity Natural User Interface (NUI) sensor is always present
Storage and Memory:
8GB of DDR3 RAM (68GB/s bandwidth)
32MB of fast embedded SRAM (ESRAM) (102GB/s)
From the GPU's perspective the bandwidths of system memory and ESRAM are parallel providing combined peak bandwidth of 170GB/sec.
Hard drive is always present
50GB 6x Blu-ray drive
Networking:
Gigabit Ethernet
WiFi and WiFi Direct
Hardware Accelerators:
Move engines
Image, video, and audio codecs
Kinect multichannel echo cancellation (MEC) hardware
Cryptography engines for encryption and decryption, and hashing

An overview of the Durango graphics core via VGLeaks.com's unique access to Microsoft documentation. We see 12 GCN Compute Units with close access to 32MB of fast embedded RAM, in turn connected to the Data Move Engines.
Indeed, many of the functions assigned to the Move Engines - tiling/untiling of textures, lossless decompression, texture decompression - were often hived off to the SPUs on the PlayStation 3. VGLeaks' quoted bandwidth specs - around 25GB/s, a plausible figure - is also ballpark with SPU performance carrying out the same task. So in essence, you could view elements of this "secret sauce" hardware as something like two or three fixed function SPUs available alongside the eight-core AMD processor. Orbis has its own custom hardware that does many of the same functions, and for the rest, it has the luxury of a fully programmable Compute module that Durango lacks (unless you cut into rendering resources).

The fact that Durango's Data Move Engines are there at all points to another major difference between the two next-gen platforms: memory, and how data is shuttled around the system.

RAM: capacity vs. bandwidth
Durango is a memory monster, shipping with 8GB of RAM up against 'just' 4GB in its Sony competitor. It's an ambitious strategy, made necessary owing to Microsoft's hopes for the new Xbox to be more than just a games machine - the hardware is believed to reserve a significant amount of RAM for media functions, and rumours persist that the console can run dedicated apps and media side-by-side with gameplay.

There's just one problem. Cramming 8GB of the fastest memory into a console box simply isn't logistically possible. A key Xbox 360 advantage over PS3 was a unified pool of 512MB of fast GDDR3 memory. GDDR5 is the latest equivalent, used principally in PC graphics cards, but the problem here is that the modules only come in certain capacities - the largest and most difficult to produce being 512MB. Daisy-chaining 16 of those onto a console motherboard just wouldn't work. Sony has opted for a tighter system - fewer memory modules, but all of them very, very fast. It retains GDDR5 as the single memory pool with all the raw bandwidth advantages that entails, but it is limited to 4GB (there are rumours of 6GB/8GB upgrades but this is highly unlikely to happen).

Microsoft's technique for accommodating 8GB is to fall back on cheaper DDR3 modules - the same type found in current PCs and indeed Wii U. This presents a problem - namely, bandwidth. Think of data as water flowing through a pipe - the wider the pipe, the more water can flow through it at any given point. DDR3 can only process around one third the amount of data as the wider GDDR5, because the "pipe" is that much thinner. Microsoft's solution? To equip Durango with 32MB of fast memory (ESRAM) attached directly to the graphics core, but capable of being accessed from the CPU too. This little cache of memory can run in parallel with the DDR3, and combined bandwidth then rises back up to around 170GB/s - a number close to the throughput of the GDDR5 in Orbis.

Durango's Data Move Engines are designed to shuttle data around a complex system of 8GB of DDR3 and 32MB of ESRAM, while providing CPU back-up for compression and decompression. Those hoping 'secret sauce' upgrades to boost graphics performance probably won't find much joy here.
So what does this mean for game devs in real terms? Well, whichever way Microsoft tries to finesse it, the 32MB of ESRAM is a bit of a sticking plaster solution that is nowhere near as fast or efficient as the single unified pool of RAM available to Orbis. However, while the disadvantages are obvious, this is not to say that the situation is anything like a complete disaster for Durango development. Speaking to game makers, the impression we come away with is that not every feature in a game actually requires ultra-fast memory. Systems will be developed on the DDR3, and if memory throughput becomes an issue, those features will be ported over to the ESRAM where there's enough bandwidth to provide the raw performance if needed.

Also mitigating the difference to a certain extent is the fact that Durango operates under an enhanced version of DirectX 11 - dubbed internally DirectX 11.x. It's highly likely that crucial rendering functions will automatically be optimised by Microsoft for use with the ESRAM.

Direct X 11 vs. LibGCM
Orbis tentative spec
VGLeaks' Orbis spec, published a week after our own article on the technological make-up of the next-gen PlayStation, essentially provides more depth on the exact same information we covered. Our sources are entirely separate, but the close corroboration between them suggests that the more granular detail seen here is accurate.
Central Processing Unit:
Orbis contains eight Jaguar cores at 1.6GHz, arranged as two "clusters"
Each cluster contains 4 cores and a shared 2MB L2 cache
256-bit SIMD operations, 128-bit SIMD ALU
SSE up to SSE4, as well as Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX)
One hardware thread per core
Decodes, executes and retires at up to two intructions/cycle
Out of order execution
Per-core dedicated L1-I and L1-D cache (32Kb each)
Two pipes per core yield 12,8 GFlops performance
102.4 GFlops for system
Graphics Core:
GPU is based on AMD's "R10XX" (Southern Islands) architecture
DirectX 11.1+ feature set
18 Compute Units (CUs)
Hardware balanced at 14 CUs (4 dedicated to Compute)
Shared 512KB of read/write L2 cache
800MHz
1.843 Tflops, 922 GigaOps/s
Dual shader engines
18 texture units
8 render backends
Memory:
4GB unified system memory, 176GB/s
3.5GB available to games (estimate)
Storage:
High speed Blu-ray drive (single-layer 25GB or dual-layer 50GB discs)
Partial constant angular velocity (PCAV)
Outer half of disc 6x (27 MB/s)
Inner half varies, 3.3x to 6x
Networking:
1Gb/s Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n WiFi, and Bluetooth
Extra Hardware:
Audio Processor (ACP)
Video encode and decode (VCE/UVD) units
Display ScanOut Engine (DCE)
Zlib Decompression Hardware
All of which brings us on quite nicely to the development environments accompanying the new hardware. It's business as usual for Microsoft, expanding on the existing Visual Studio tools used to create current-gen Xbox 360 titles. The switch from PowerPC to 64-bit x86 processors sees the introduction of a number of new extensions designed to leverage the new hardware, while the customised version of DX9 utilised by 360 gives way to a similarly enhanced DX11.

From what we've heard, it should be a seamless transition for developers (especially those who've worked with DX11 on prior PC projects) and while some appear to be worried that being locked to the Microsoft API will be an issue, the fact is that there are specific DX11 functions available to devs tied into the custom Durango hardware. There's also a level of flexibility in how DirectX is used that is equivalent to the almost legendary concept of "coding to the metal". For example, on Xbox 360, Microsoft allow developers to load shader constant data into the GPU in its native form. Devs point the hardware to the data and it loads it - the challenge is to ensure it's in the right place, in the right format before the GPU gets to it. Strictly speaking, it's still working within the DirectX API, but effectively, developers are writing to the hardware directly.

With regards the next-generation PlayStation, developers are highly unlikely to have the same kind of issues with the toolchain that they had with PS3. Having acquired SN Systems back in 2005, principally to improve the development environment for their consoles, we're told that the quality of the tools has increased exponentially to the point where one highly experienced game-maker we spoke to rates the PlayStation Vita tools as the most impressive he's used.

With Orbis, Sony is using a new variant of the LibGCM library, which has also been utilised in PS3 and Vita. This allows developers to more directly address the hardware, so elements of the AMD graphics hardware in particular can be accessed in a manner where there is no direct correlation in DirectX. You only need to look at games like God of War and Uncharted to see what Sony's approach to exploiting its hardware can produce: these remain state-of-the-art video games to this day, despite utilising graphics hardware directly derived from now-obsolete vintage 2005 Nvidia graphics hardware. Of course, with PS3 in particular, the GPU is only one part of the overall hardware offering, but the fact remains that developers are extracting performance from RSX that could only have been dreamed of when the console was designed.

A very basic overview of how the principal elements of Orbis link together. The core components - CPU and GPU - are an architectural match for Durango, but the memory set-up is simpler and faster and the graphics core is indeed 50 per cent larger.
The next-gen battle-scape takes shape
Back in 2005, Microsoft and Sony revealed their 'next-gen' console designs - Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. These were ambitious pieces of hardware: they pushed the power consumption envelope to a new high (with some disastrous consequences for reliability), they both co-opted performance PC parts into a console design. Microsoft pushed the boat out in terms of GPU power - the Xenos GPU was a forward-looking design architecturally more advanced than anything else available at the time. Sony gambled with Cell and Blu-ray - a complex CPU design that developers had trouble getting to grips with, and a storage system that few fully exploited - these elements, beyond all the others account for the gulf in performance between the best of the first- and third-party titles.

Some might say that their replacements are products of the era of austerity, where the 'power at any cost' approach of the Xbox 360 and PS3 is replaced by a more sensible approach of re-purposing existing architecture and getting the best from it in a closed-box environment. Therefore, faced with the same essential challenges, it's no real surprise that both Microsoft and Sony have acquired very similar parts from the same vendor, based on existing technology (or in the case of the AMD CPU, a revised, improved version of a currently available processor), and that the more forward-looking approach of the current-gen designs isn't really present in their successors. The main point of differentiation is much narrower in the new hardware - Sony has invested more heavily in visual performance, while Microsoft's gamble is on RAM.

On paper, Orbis looks like the tighter, more powerful, more games-focused design. With Durango, the astonishing lengths to which Microsoft has gone to accommodate 8GB of RAM adds further weight to the hypothesis that its plans for the Xbox hardware extend beyond gaming, that it wants the hardware to form a next-gen media centre. The question is to what extent its non-gaming plans impact on the processing resources available to developers...
280304, I'm ready for the next gen. I need something to wow me again
Posted by Lach, Mon Feb-18-13 02:14 PM
Everything now is just nice but nothing wowing me anymore. To the point where I got games still in their plastic like Far Cry 3. I know it's supposed to be dope but all I keep playing is Call of Duty. It's time for some new hardware.
280315, My beef is that I don't care about graphics, but other shit
Posted by BigReg, Tue Feb-19-13 10:44 AM
Im kind of sick of shit that looks REALLY GREAT, but plays like shit, lol. Im all about gameplay and extra polish that should be standard now...

More consistent quality in online gaming. First of all it would be nice to see us get over the 8-16 players a map hump you've got in FPS where in the PC they hit like 64).

Things like ragequitting should have been solved where the penalty is worse then the loss...better organizing of clans/friends list...etc. These need to be universal across titles.

Being able to save/upload gamesessions like the PS3 apparently is implementing should be standard, etc.

280318, i thought i didnt care about graphics
Posted by hardware, Tue Feb-19-13 12:14 PM
but realized i dont care about realism
if the world and models look good stylistically, i'm fine

but you're right. gameplay is the key
280322, Would love a new Wing Commander like game
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Tue Feb-19-13 01:33 PM
FPS space shooter
Descent comes to mind

280326, This is me.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Tue Feb-19-13 02:37 PM
>Im kind of sick of shit that looks REALLY GREAT, but plays
>like shit, lol.

Give me a great experience. Great gameplay, great story, great function. I'm not expecting a huge overhaul graphically. And with the technical specs of these new machines, do we really have the sets that can truly take advantage of it? Give me details. Make things more interactive.
280347, lmao a guy looking to get into games LASHED out at me for this
Posted by Nodima, Wed Feb-20-13 05:11 PM
There was some thread somewhere about what you want most from new consoles, and I basically said I'd really like if the middleware and core engines and all that shit that got massively important to timecrunched devs this generation could be streamlined to the point that actual implementation was like the snap of a finger.

Basically I was hoping more time and budget could be focused on actual DESIGN, not just the skeleton and the skin but all the organs inside of it. I'm a little tired of pretty much every game boiling down to perks and cover systems.

But he wrote me FOUR pages in a Word document back about how I'm undermining and disrespecting his entire profession by wishing his job would be easier, and when I told him I was stunned he was mad that I wanted his job to be easier, he got even angrier.

~~~~~~~~~
280320, I just want a new system with new IPs
Posted by jetblack, Tue Feb-19-13 01:25 PM
New hardware and new gimmicky games and just new stuff.

I'm a consumer.

I need to consume.
280323, RE: I just want a new system with new IPs
Posted by The DC Sniper, Tue Feb-19-13 01:44 PM
Didn't you buy a Wii U? Nintendo hasn't had a new IP since Pikmin
280328, Yeah I'm ready. I'm hoping we get games with DDTrueHD & DTS-HD
Posted by Lach, Tue Feb-19-13 03:02 PM
Don't get me wrong, I want my killer gameplay but I want the graphics and sound on top of it.
280345, The whole shabangabang.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 03:43 PM
280336, I'm more concern with "what else will it do"
Posted by ne_atl, Wed Feb-20-13 12:03 PM
The games look great but what else can it do?

What are the media extender capabilities? DNLA?
Can I now get rid of some of the other devices connected to my TV?

this goes for XBOX too
280337, Im 110% with you. You want all my money?
Posted by BigReg, Wed Feb-20-13 12:25 PM
>The games look great but what else can it do?
>
>What are the media extender capabilities? DNLA?
>Can I now get rid of some of the other devices connected to my
>TV?

Make me have everything I need in one box and Ill throw cash at ya.

Make me have to spend on other devices to fill in gaps you should have had covered, expect to be punished financially, lol.
280334, $529!!!
Posted by The DC Sniper, Tue Feb-19-13 08:29 PM
I hope this shit isn't true, because if it is, it's definitive proof that Sony never learns.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/19/playstation-4-price-release-date-reportedly-outed

PlayStation 4 Price, Release Date Reportedly Outed

Sony’s new console may arrive in November and be controllable with smartphones.

by Andrew Goldfarb FEBRUARY 19, 2013

A new rumor suggests that PlayStation 4 is due this November and will be available at two price points. According to Kotaku, anonymous sources say the PlayStation 4 is currently planned for two SKUs at $429 and $529 respectively, though “that could change.”

The source also suggests that “you'll also be able to control the PS4 remotely from your tablet or smartphone. You'll be able to use a mobile device to chat with your PS4 friends or buy games which are then automatically downloaded to your machine.” The second half of that rumor seems to be in line with Sony’s recent changes to the accessibility of the PlayStation Store, which expanded to browsers last month.

Finally, the source suggests “that every PS4 will come with a PlayStation Eye; that a new spectating feature will let you watch other friends play games from your console's dashboard, even when you don't own the game they're playing; and that the console will support local network play via Vita.”

Yesterday, rumors suggested that the next PlayStation will be heavily integrated with social networks and new domain registrations earlier today pointed to a service called PlayStation Cloud. For now, it’s unclear what Sony is planning for its next console, but we should be finding out much more information tomorrow.

Want to get the most out of Sony’s announcement? Be sure to watch it live on IGN for expert analysis, Rewind Theaters and much more.
280339, I spent $800+ for my PS3 at launch. Meh.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 02:16 PM
Start saving now bitches.

I'm preordering on Amazon as soon as possible.
280341, RE: I spent $800+ for my PS3 at launch. Meh.
Posted by The DC Sniper, Wed Feb-20-13 03:06 PM
Yeah, but most people didn't. That's the problem
280346, True.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 03:48 PM
Sony needs to step out the box with some great exclusives and third party games AND a compelling reason to get a NON gamer to purchase this system. Xbox Smart glass was great on paper but the utility is limited. If they can link the console and tablet/smartphone worlds in a useful way they can do something special. Sony is getting my money. Again.

I'm getting the new Xbox too. I like new stuff. :)
280342, In the age of $500 tablets, $529 doesn't seem *AS* bad
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Wed Feb-20-13 03:08 PM
That's still way too much for me to get one at launch tho.
280348, yeah, I don't see the problem at all, but
Posted by Nodima, Wed Feb-20-13 05:16 PM
I don't see the value in paying for phone upgrades, I just wait til the 2 years is expired and I can do it for free. I don't want an iPad, I want a MacBook.

So to me, if you're going to pay $500 for a phone or a tablet...and that makes SENSE to you, how does it not make sense to buy yourself a gaming rig that, these days, is not only that but an internet browser, a Netflix/Hulu/YouTube (huge, HD YouTube at that) NFL/NHL-on-TV box, a blu-ray player, and then all that other totally random shit maybe 1% of users take advantage of (home stereo base, children's birthday party slideshow hoster, whatever)...

yea, I'll pay $500 for that. If I have the money. If I don't, and I don't, then the first day PS4 probably isn't for me anyway, since it's going to be more fun to mess around in the menus than it will be to play games if pretty much EVERY console launch is any indication.

I mean when I got my PS3 in I think '08, I played more of the DIRT and Super Stardust HD demos than any actual games until, like, skate came out or something.

~~~~~~~~~
280343, naw son. 399 or bust.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Feb-20-13 03:21 PM
280344, That would be nice.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 03:41 PM
I always get a second controller and at least 2 launch games.
280351, I'm HYPE!
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 05:53 PM
280352, STREAM link.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 05:57 PM
http://kotaku.com/5985681/watch-sony-announce-the-next-playstation-right-here
280353, The Giant Bomb MST3K style stream >>>
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Wed Feb-20-13 06:11 PM
280354, bunch of nerds & suits up in this bitch
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Feb-20-13 06:14 PM
this presentation could be much more amazing if it were simpler.

show the system, a good price, the games and a few neat tricks (apps/features) = voila magic.

these niggas running their mouths, talking about "the next couple of hours"
280355, 8GBs. Thank fucking god.
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Wed Feb-20-13 06:16 PM
280356, oh shit son! the dual shock 4!
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Feb-20-13 06:18 PM
i see Sony been paying attention to them 360 ergonomics.
280357, lol at the Kinect rip off.
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Wed Feb-20-13 06:19 PM
Altho I guess it was kind of an Eye-Toy rip off anyway so whatevs.
280379, Yeah. A new piece o' plastic.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:11 PM
280358, um...lets just say i wouldnt have unveiled the PS4 with...that
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Feb-20-13 06:23 PM
Knack don't look like some shit i'd want to play.
280359, RE: HUGE PlayStation announcement on February 20th
Posted by The DC Sniper, Wed Feb-20-13 06:26 PM
...and the stream is dead. Good look, Sony.
280360, http://www.gametrailers.com/netstorage/psmeeting/live.html
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Feb-20-13 06:28 PM
http://www.gametrailers.com/netstorage/psmeeting/live.html
280363, RE: http://www.gametrailers.com/netstorage/psmeeting/live.html
Posted by The DC Sniper, Wed Feb-20-13 06:32 PM
Thanks!
280361, Damn, this PSN stuff looks pretty awesome.
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Wed Feb-20-13 06:30 PM
280362, IGN Link is still up
Posted by Tw3nty, Wed Feb-20-13 06:31 PM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/14/watch-the-220-playstation-event-on-ign
280364, DAMN!
Posted by The DC Sniper, Wed Feb-20-13 06:35 PM
I'ma ask jetblack to beat a lot of games for me
280365, RE: HUGE PlayStation announcement on February 20th
Posted by The DC Sniper, Wed Feb-20-13 06:42 PM
Yushei Yushida said it's also a wok!
280366, Not only did these niggas set the bar high, they put the bar on mars
Posted by Tw3nty, Wed Feb-20-13 06:44 PM
GOTDAMN!!!
280368, this thing does a whole lot of shit.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Feb-20-13 06:46 PM
but damn they only showed 1 game so far.
280367, the controller looks nice
Posted by Heinz, Wed Feb-20-13 06:46 PM

----------------------

280369, damn they still trying to make Killzone work.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Feb-20-13 06:48 PM
graphics are wild tho.
280370, It's still in development. That is the scary thing.
Posted by muzuabo, Wed Feb-20-13 06:57 PM
280382, They need a tighter MP experience.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:14 PM
The games aren't bad. There are just so many better shooters. Too many actually.
280386, RE: They need a tighter MP experience.
Posted by The DC Sniper, Wed Feb-20-13 07:22 PM
I hate the series but Shadow Fall has me intrigued. I think it's the best game of the show so far.
280393, Looks good.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:30 PM
280394, Looks good.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:31 PM
280479, really? Killzone's MP was the only FPS I could get down with
Posted by Nodima, Thu Feb-21-13 01:34 PM
Call of Duty and most other FPS' get way too boring way too quick thanks to respawn (yes, I'm a SOCOM II kid) but the way Killzone 2 shuffled game styles and worked their classes made for a multiplayer I could play for two months or so and not get bored over it. Which is saying a lot considering Modern Warfare, when it was new and original, only lasted me about four days online.

~~~~~~~~~
280371, I'm late so what did I miss?
Posted by Kira, Wed Feb-20-13 07:01 PM
280372, Coming for that GT throne.
Posted by muzuabo, Wed Feb-20-13 07:02 PM
280373, I'm watching the Sony announcement on my XBOX
Posted by nipsey, Wed Feb-20-13 07:07 PM
using the IGN app. Oh the irony.
280374, Damn Sony.
Posted by muzuabo, Wed Feb-20-13 07:07 PM
280375, New Infamous looks dope.
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Wed Feb-20-13 07:08 PM
280376, sony's nerds creep me out
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Feb-20-13 07:08 PM
the Knack dude looked like he hasnt gotten sleep in months.
Drive Club dude probably wants to have relations w/ cars.
Sucker Punch dude is probably gonna blow up a building in the near future.
280377, Killzone, DriveClub, INfamous 3. Where's GOW?
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:09 PM
280380, God of War might get shown last.
Posted by muzuabo, Wed Feb-20-13 07:11 PM
Sony is gonna have me digging through my pockets.
280383, Heavy Rain Dev is talking.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:17 PM
Yeah they are building.
280385, RE: God of War might get shown last.
Posted by The DC Sniper, Wed Feb-20-13 07:19 PM
Ascension is coming out next month. They're not going to release two GoW games in one year.
280378, Infamous has GOTY all but sewn up.
Posted by muzuabo, Wed Feb-20-13 07:09 PM
280381, Sony is not fucking around.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:12 PM
280408, Nope.
Posted by muzuabo, Wed Feb-20-13 07:44 PM
280384, That's creepy... Old man head!!!!!
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:18 PM
280387, Fuck MOVE!
Posted by The DC Sniper, Wed Feb-20-13 07:23 PM
I just groaned audibly. Take the L and keep it moving.
280388, LoL
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:27 PM
280389, art w/ dildos!
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Feb-20-13 07:28 PM
280391, Puppetry of the Phallus.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:30 PM
280390, Capcom. Please. Capcom. Do something cool.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:29 PM
280392, Why the fuck is there a pre-op Japanese tranny on stage?
Posted by The DC Sniper, Wed Feb-20-13 07:30 PM
280396, He is a zesty man. LoL
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:31 PM
280397, Deep down?!? LMAO
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:32 PM
280398, This game looks DOPE! WTF
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:33 PM
280399, RE: This game looks DOPE! WTF
Posted by The DC Sniper, Wed Feb-20-13 07:35 PM
Most visually impressive so far
280402, And Square Enix shits on it.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:37 PM
280403, Square-Enix dude talking
Posted by The DC Sniper, Wed Feb-20-13 07:37 PM
If you ain't gonna show FF Versus XIII, then get off the stage nigga
280400, loooooooooooool.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Feb-20-13 07:36 PM
280401, Japanese has some zesty game directors.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:36 PM
Lol
280404, This Squeenix demo is old.
Posted by Kira, Wed Feb-20-13 07:39 PM
280405, RE: This Squeenix demo is old.
Posted by The DC Sniper, Wed Feb-20-13 07:40 PM
Yeah
280407, That's lazy.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:41 PM
280406, yo that's not even a fucking game. this is why you suck SE.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Feb-20-13 07:40 PM
280442, Have you seen the FFX Vita video?
Posted by topaz, Wed Feb-20-13 08:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gd3gWcXPJQ

It's barely better than a Hello World program. I really think those assholes just drink and get high off coke all day.
280409, Watch Dogs on PS4!
Posted by The DC Sniper, Wed Feb-20-13 07:44 PM
I called it, niggas
280410, Nintedo and Microsoft hearing this in the background
Posted by Ish, Wed Feb-20-13 07:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N-NWheOAKw
280411, Best show presentation goes to Infamous
Posted by muzuabo, Wed Feb-20-13 07:47 PM
Followed by Watchdog.
280418, RE: Best show presentation goes to Infamous
Posted by The DC Sniper, Wed Feb-20-13 07:55 PM
I think watch dogs does infamous better than infamous
280412, this Watch Dogs goes hard in the paint.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Feb-20-13 07:50 PM
280415, Yup. I want to own every game.
Posted by muzuabo, Wed Feb-20-13 07:53 PM

E3 is going to be ridiculous b
280419, Yep.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Wed Feb-20-13 07:56 PM
Been following the progress of this game since it was announced.
280426, Yes it does
Posted by nipsey, Wed Feb-20-13 08:00 PM
Most anticipated game by far.
280413, Watch dogs!!!
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:51 PM
280414, Blizzard. Dude.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:52 PM
280417, What else?!? Come on now. Diablo 3...meh.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:55 PM
280416, Diablo? Welp, I'm in.
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Wed Feb-20-13 07:55 PM
280420, Not that big a fan of Diablo.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:56 PM
May change my mind.
280495, Don't let it fool ya
Posted by Paps_Smear, Thu Feb-21-13 05:54 PM
I've played Diablo 3 on the PC like crazy
I deleted it now
The same stupid acts over and over with increased difficulty and broken promises by Blizzard.
Yawn
280500, This is telling tho
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Thu Feb-21-13 07:06 PM
>I've played Diablo 3 on the PC like crazy

I don't plan on playing any game forever, but if I can drop $60 on something and "play it like crazy" for even a month, I feel like that's worth it.
280508, Pretty much, Check out Path of Exile
Posted by crow, Fri Feb-22-13 02:54 AM
Really really good AND Free
280511, I've been hearing good things about that game.
Posted by wallysmith, Fri Feb-22-13 08:57 AM
How is the game supported financially? Are the microtransactions just for cosmetic items or for actual game related stuff?

I've been itching for a new Diablo game without actually wanting to play Diablo.
280421, Call of Duty? Whatever... Show me the HARDWARE!!!
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 07:57 PM
280423, nah its that wack shit Destiny.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Feb-20-13 07:59 PM
280433, Seen it
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 08:06 PM
280422, Where is Naughty Dog?
Posted by muzuabo, Wed Feb-20-13 07:58 PM
280424, So bootleg George Michael
Posted by nipsey, Wed Feb-20-13 07:59 PM
showed no highlights, talked about nothing for five minutes, and all they showed was a logo? WTF?
280425, Bungee?!?!?
Posted by muzuabo, Wed Feb-20-13 08:00 PM
280427, i dont like how all these cats trying to put games on PS3
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Feb-20-13 08:03 PM
ITS OVER. full speed ahead.
280428, They have to in this day and age.
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Wed Feb-20-13 08:04 PM
Too many consoles out there to ignore, plus the price will probably be high at launch.
280445, that's how these transitions go, though.
Posted by Nodima, Wed Feb-20-13 08:38 PM
you'll always see the HUGE 3rd party publishers putting money behind bridge titles, because these are the games that will look better, maybe have one or two different experiences, but mostly they can be ported/bridged.

I'm not surprised these games are considered current- and next-gen, but I'll be confused if they're exactly the same. I'd doubt that's the case.

~~~~~~~~~
280429, yeah if this shit was 399 they woulda been blaring it from the heavens
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Wed Feb-20-13 08:04 PM
open your wallets, prepare your anuses. 599 USD part 2 here we come
280430, NO HARDWARE?!?!!? No console sighting....LOL
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 08:04 PM
280434, Yeah I think that was a poor move.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Wed Feb-20-13 08:09 PM
Unless like @rjcc said, it wasn't ready.
280446, E3. They'll probably reveal the price then, too.
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Wed Feb-20-13 08:42 PM
280431, wow. i went in very cynical and came away super impressed
Posted by bearfield, Wed Feb-20-13 08:06 PM
color me interested
280435, They came with the A game. The console
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 08:09 PM
what it looks like is still a mystery
280432, Missed the whole thing but it looks like they are repeating it
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Wed Feb-20-13 08:06 PM

280436, It was really good considering compression/stream shit
Posted by Nodima, Wed Feb-20-13 08:21 PM
.......whiiiiiiiiiiich in my mind brings up PLENTY of doubts for the Gaikai side of things, it just HAS to, considering how live streams on the internet work to date with just basic video, no computations really...

but the system looks like the SHIT! They even showed off some hardware stuff, and...yes.

~~~~~~~~~
280437, I'm confused about backward compatability
Posted by Kira, Wed Feb-20-13 08:22 PM
They stated the console is not backwards compatible. However, the PSN store will be available. Therefore, customers should be able to (in theory) purchase PS3 games and play them.

Will the dual shock be backward compatible?

Besides, I refuse to believe Sony will operate two stores.
280440, Cloud gaming.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Feb-20-13 08:24 PM
Learn the internet... PLEASE
280449, The Gaikai guy hinted that BC will be possible for PS, PS2, and PS3
Posted by jorge123, Wed Feb-20-13 09:12 PM
through cloud gaming. However, he showed very concrete examples for all his other shit but then said that this aspect of the PS4 was still being researched. AKA if we know Sony, and we know how they treat BC, and we know how they love to not add new features to their shit, then we know this shit will probably never happen.
280451, I don't believe they can just idle on this.
Posted by Nodima, Wed Feb-20-13 09:21 PM
there is one thing I can guarantee influenced this whole purchase: the Cell processor. They were NOT about to emulate the PS3 on the PS4. I'm no programmer but I'm about 100% certain being the Sony fanboy that I've unintentionally become the problems associated with that compared to emulating PS1 or PS2 architecture is just...ghastly.

But PS+ has very obviously been about older games, as has the PS Store as a whole over the past one or two years. I really can't imagine them running away from that platform opportunity now...I mean, maybe I can, but there's so much good will built up there. If the endgame isn't "and you can still play your PS+ copy of Just Cause 2 on PS4 while you wait for Just Cause 3" ... then I don't know what greater good PS+ has served this generation.

Or maybe I was just under the fantastic impression that I could build a library of instantly playable games (ie. Instant Game Collection) through my PS+ subscription if only I purchased them while they were free. To be told I'd have to keep my PS3 forever to take advantage of the SSIV: Arcade Edition file I've never had enough space on my HDD to download, but hoped would come in handy on PS4...that'd be a bummer.

But we'll just have to see. It's never as utopian as it seems.

~~~~~~~~~
280438, Wow Sony... well done.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Feb-20-13 08:22 PM
Microsoft's initial push for online gaming was a massive success as we've seen with Xbox Live.

Sony realized this, and just jumped in guns blazing in terms of embracing the cloud and all its possibilities. If Microsoft doesn't come close to matching this then I'm getting the PS4 for sure, small controller be damned.

Edit: If you're skeptical about the cloud, just imagine this scenario: Playing Dead Space with two other friends, all of you are playing/watching the same game, and you can trade off who's playing every chapter. Or switch over to a better player for bosses. Or have someone who's just giving a running play by play while the other two are switching off.

Basically, cloud gaming adds a social element to single player games. Devs won't have to shoehorn in multiplayer modes just to appeal to a bigger crowd that won't sell their games to Gamestop. They can focus on making great single player games because you can share that experience with your friends.
280443, That Gaikai purchase was fucking CLUTCH.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Feb-20-13 08:27 PM
280457, It's like what onlive wanted to be.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 10:25 PM
I wonder how disc games will work. Do you have it read and detects what game it is and it streams that game for you? How would that work for used games? Hmmm will they offer streaming PS3 games as a service you pay for. Makes sense. PS3 SaaS.
280461, I don't think it'll stream PS4 games.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Feb-20-13 11:24 PM
But yeah, it sounds like the heavy cloud emphasis will likely have some measures to combat used games. At the very least they should give you the option to let friends borrow games (no idea how to implement that, just saying).
280439, I wonder what exclusives will grace the PS4.
Posted by Shaun Tha Don, Wed Feb-20-13 08:23 PM
280441, If they can keep the developer that's making The Last of Us...
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Feb-20-13 08:25 PM
then that works for me. I want to play that game bad, but no one nearby me has a PS3.

Edit: And The Witness, from Jonathan Blow.
280444, and, uh...fuck, I feel bad. Cerny's new game. Krank? Kronk?
Posted by Nodima, Wed Feb-20-13 08:36 PM
but it looked like it's going to have a LOT of cool particle shit.

maybe the usual sort of tech demo-y game that opens a console in the end (I'm thinking Smuggler's Run...but I LOVED Smuggler's Run) but it looked like it had wild potential.

oh, Killzone NOT 4.

~~~~~~~~~
280447, Sony owns Naughty Dog.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 08:47 PM
We haven't seen a next gen game from NDI or Santa Monica (The God of War devs)...

I'm still intrigued.
280448, Well... shit.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Feb-20-13 08:51 PM
This might be the first time I'm an early adopter for any console, ever. Get the PS4, stream The Last of Us, then kick it till Destiny comes out.

Hmm... this isn't good. I ain't got time for all that.
280450, Naughty Dog is who I'm waiting for.
Posted by muzuabo, Wed Feb-20-13 09:21 PM
They brought the heat to the PS3 and I think we'll see them expand their horizons on the PSquad.
280454, The new uncharted/new IP is gonna be
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-20-13 10:21 PM
Gorgeous. You KNOW they got a beast up their sleeve. :)

280459, Whatever they come out with it will be cinematic.
Posted by muzuabo, Wed Feb-20-13 11:12 PM
I'm feeling what ubisoft is doing to bring both multiplayer and single player together as one. It would be awesome to affect multiplayer gameplay within a single player context. We saw some of that happening with red dead redemption I feel. Good times ahead.
280453, For Cliffdogg, all they need is Gran Turismo and Metal Gear.
Posted by CliffDogg, Wed Feb-20-13 10:08 PM
I've had regrets for buying the PS3 when I play Call of Doodie and other things that ky real life friends play, but I STILL play Gran Turismo and Metal Gear. Maybe it's brand loyalty (fanboyism), but at this point I'm going PS4.

For what it's worth, I never understood the hate for the dual shock either.
280452, The USTREAM connection is interesting.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Wed Feb-20-13 10:06 PM
As soon as I saw that I immediately thought of our OKP NBA 2K league (when it was successful). You got 10-12 owners playing their games for a matter of months, people are involved and are following the league closely. It comes down to the playoffs and the only way non players can interact with the league is by watching the 2K league page. I have always wanted the ability to watch those games live.

So the ability to share that online with a new audience is nice.
280455, getting it. Maybe not at launch, but as soon as a game I want comes out
Posted by Envy, Wed Feb-20-13 10:23 PM
280462, Just give me an unbroken Gran Turismo 6 and I'm good
Posted by spenzalii, Thu Feb-21-13 12:08 AM
M$, the ball is in your court now...
280465, LOL they just showed their grand turismo successor
Posted by jetblack, Thu Feb-21-13 08:24 AM
M$ just has a SHOW a console now. I'm buying both.
I go from monthly tuition to a MUCH smaller yearly donation so I will have a little money again :)
280463, i won't get one until 2014 but it's looking like an auto cop at this point
Posted by southphillyman, Thu Feb-21-13 12:27 AM
280466, at least now i'll be able to afford a PS3
Posted by hardware, Thu Feb-21-13 08:49 AM
280468, Wow. It's weird seeing a company admit its flaws and fixing em
Posted by BigReg, Thu Feb-21-13 08:56 AM
RIM, aka Blackberry take note(you too Apple)...

PS3 suffered shitty ports because of it's unusual architecture.
PS4 solution=make it an x86 chip and as pc friendly as possible

PSN was forced to play catchup with Xbox live, where even today you can argue it's still behind
PS4 goes ALL THE FUCK IN on online access...a whole processor dedicated to online bells and whistles like uploads of footage, etc.

Pretty much all Im waiting for is the price and we are done. Must cop.
280469, Yup, it's very encouraging.
Posted by wallysmith, Thu Feb-21-13 09:58 AM
All the more notable since Sony is a Japanese company, and they tend to be notoriously obstinate.

Sony's set the bar really high so far, and now I'm intensely curious as to what Microsoft will be offering.
280470, any quick links to the actual ps4 or game videos??
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Thu Feb-21-13 10:02 AM
280473, I'm pretty hyped cause I might be in Japan when it drops
Posted by 13Rose, Thu Feb-21-13 10:59 AM
I've never copped a console at launch but this might be the one. All the wife keeps saying is "but you have a Playstation".
280539, I desperately want to go to Japan man. I gotta go when you are there
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Fri Feb-22-13 08:11 PM

280475, Sony gets it. No restrictions on used games.
Posted by wallysmith, Thu Feb-21-13 11:16 AM
This is exactly what a company should be doing to sell their console: make the overall player experience better.

Now, it remains to be seen once the console is *actually* launched to see the details of all these claims, but it's really great to see a console company fully embracing the cloud. I'm curious about bandwidth usage though... that Google Fiber is looking even more attractive now.

Some more info on the controller:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/20/4006374/playstation-4-dualshock-4-controller-detailed

Just having something as simple as a micro-USB charger is progressive... no more proprietary bullshit, and this from the (former) king of proprietary technologies.
280480, I might buy on principle
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Thu Feb-21-13 01:57 PM
>This is exactly what a company should be doing to sell their
>console: make the overall player experience better.
>
>Now, it remains to be seen once the console is *actually*
>launched to see the details of all these claims, but it's
>really great to see a console company fully embracing the
>cloud. I'm curious about bandwidth usage though... that
>Google Fiber is looking even more attractive now.
>
>Some more info on the controller:
>
>http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/20/4006374/playstation-4-dualshock-4-controller-detailed
>
>Just having something as simple as a micro-USB charger is
>progressive... no more proprietary bullshit, and this from the
>(former) king of proprietary technologies.

I waited until a couple of years ago to get into the current generation. I wanted to see how things played out between the two (helped that my brother had both) then jump in when a bunch of games would be cheap with age.

But it everything being said is true, I might throw down this year just to encourage Sony to keep doing what they're doing, if that's what they're doing. I'd like to encourage them to take that philosophy to other parts of their business, like phones.

If there's a company prepared to stop dictating and start really listening, as well as executing, they should be rewarded.
280494, one thing i just noticed.... No Start or Select buttons
Posted by Playa_Politician, Thu Feb-21-13 05:18 PM
a first in console gaming, i may be wrong tho. even Wii U has start select

Actually thinking about it, that select button was always kinda useless.
280517, There is one small restriction regarding used games tho...
Posted by mtbatol, Fri Feb-22-13 10:19 AM
...that is, no used PS3 games

..then again no new PS3 games either

herp a derrrrp :(
280518, That's because of the PS3 cell architecture though, I presume.
Posted by wallysmith, Fri Feb-22-13 10:22 AM
I think it's a bit of an unfortunate side effect, but if the streaming backlog service works out well I think it makes sense. The more standardized build of the PS4 means that costs are lower and the console is easier to develop for.
280476, If that new MGS 5 is a launch title I'm sold
Posted by Biggamal, Thu Feb-21-13 11:22 AM
280513, Sony def stepped it up..but if M$ manages to merge PC online and XBL
Posted by Lesson24, Fri Feb-22-13 10:04 AM
checkmate
280514, THIS would definitely get my attention.
Posted by wallysmith, Fri Feb-22-13 10:06 AM
Except the biggest issue is the difference in input. While it would be great to join merged games regardless of platform, any FPS game would inherently favor the more accurate keyboard/mouse combination.
280515, thats what im waiting for, if it'll ever happen
Posted by Lesson24, Fri Feb-22-13 10:13 AM
tired of my PC boys talkin ish
280519, Mice with adjustable DPI and weight will almost make the console
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Fri Feb-22-13 10:36 AM
gamers a non factor, that of course is assuming equal skill on both parties. Advantage: PC.
280543, they should make it so you could play with mice and keyboard
Posted by Playa_Politician, Sat Feb-23-13 12:44 AM
PS3 did that with Unreal (it's the only game i can think of that supported it)
280528, Its still not enough. If they could pull Steam it would be a game changer
Posted by BigReg, Fri Feb-22-13 12:25 PM
but Windows Live?

LOL.

nobody cares
280537, Heck, they've done that already for certain games
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Fri Feb-22-13 08:05 PM
Remember Shadowrun on 360?

Now that I think of it, Sony's done it too. Remember Portal 2?
280527, DON'T BUY ANY NEW GAMES ON DISC (Swipe)
Posted by Kira, Fri Feb-22-13 12:24 PM
I fully expect an emulation app similar to the one used for PS1 and PS2 games within 8 months of the console's launch. From here on out I'm not paying full price for any new PS3 games. I'm downloading them shits off PSN and uploading my save data to the cloud.

These games are all $20 right now:
Littlebigplanet 2
SSX
Vanquish
Infamous 2

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/21/4013938/sony-discusses-existing-purchase-support-downplays-3d-gaming-for-ps4/in/3774815

While we remain in the dark for most things, Sony has done a little to reassure us that it's thinking about used and older titles. The company confirmed last night that it won't block used games on the PS4, and now Polygon has been told that existing digital purchases could theoretically work on next-generation hardware. Despite there being "no backwards compatibility" natively for PS3 games, Yoshida tentatively said that cloud services could let players get their existing PSN library on the console. "We could do so if we choose to. We know who purchased what as a record. But we are working on service plans and we haven't decided." Emulation — the sort that lets older games work on the PlayStation 3 — is also a possibility, though Yoshida declined to discuss it.

280550, No.
Posted by BigReg, Sat Feb-23-13 11:28 AM
It will have to be streamed, the PS3 architecture's too complex to emulate for the near future.

Dudes can't barely even code for the PS3 as it is NOW, think they are gonna get a reasonably fast emulator running in a years time? LOL.

280580, So 'purchase' all the 'free' games on PS Store right now.
Posted by jetblack, Mon Feb-25-13 01:49 PM
I do this already. I just have to download em.
280531, RE: HUGE PlayStation announcement on February 20th
Posted by oldschool, Fri Feb-22-13 01:43 PM
im surprised they didnt show how its gonna look. Read somewhere they dont even know yet what its gonna look like. I find that hard to believe.

############################################################

Still using Jade Typhoon? Try Tiki Pik. Its better. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tiki-pik/kbbjjjnfejdaljjohhegbknhfpkdjjmi

More discreet (doesn't change the page layout), faster p
280535, I don't
Posted by Nodima, Fri Feb-22-13 07:40 PM
>im surprised they didnt show how its gonna look. Read
>somewhere they dont even know yet what its gonna look like. I
>find that hard to believe.

granted, they had a full year, but remember the color scheme and CONTROLLER were wildly different when they first announced the PS3.

http://img284.echo.cx/img284/7872/ps314gs.jpg

and it had way more stuff going on with accessories and what not.

~~~~~~~~~
280538, They gotta have something for E3: Look and price.
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Fri Feb-22-13 08:06 PM
280540, Starting price pool. I'll start: $499 for 500gb bundle $399 for 500gb barebones
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Fri Feb-22-13 08:15 PM

280551, it could very will be 450/550 price tag
Posted by ChampD1012, Sat Feb-23-13 11:33 AM
and if that's the case...the Wii U will survive...

280553, *Fantasizes*
Posted by Kira, Sat Feb-23-13 12:08 PM
Probable:
$350 if you sign up for one full year of PSN+
$500 with one launch game (this includes tax for you smarty art math niggas).

Fantasy:
$430 with a PSV and one year of cable service
$400 bundle with Infamous 3 but only if you sign up for two years of PSN+
280549, Any idea when M$ is going to have something ready for announcement?
Posted by southphillyman, Sat Feb-23-13 11:01 AM
i liked the ps3 much better than the 360 and this preview so far for the ps4 has been AWESOME......but i'm not trying to get too emotionally attached to the idea of copping this before seeing what microsoft has to offer
280554, I saw April somewhere
Posted by wallysmith, Sat Feb-23-13 12:48 PM
280552, Thoughts on what I saw...
Posted by ChampD1012, Sat Feb-23-13 11:42 AM
While it was impressive graphically, it wasn't that huge jump....PS1 to PS2 or PS2 to PS3 or Xbox to Xbox 360...

It wasn't that big...so the Wii U will be able to compete with that...

The most impressive thing was the ability to stream your gameplay on the web...I can see myself using this alot...

The price tag is always the first thing to be concerned with...rumors are saying 430-530....depends on what the 430 includes...

The launch titles might not be as strong either...which keeps Nintendo in it...

INfamous looks good...but I feel like they could have made it happen on the PS3 at this point of the cycle...same goes for Killzone...

DIablo III will be released on the PS3 and PS4...need to keep an eye on how often this happens with games...

Destiny is going to be great for PS4...

Microsoft has to show out when they introduce the 720...the presentation of the PS4 was very impressive...

Very curious as to how I can get rid of the PS3...based on the presentation, it looks like I am keeping it...doesn't seem to be a clear way for backwards compatibility...
280558, Be prepared to see tons of used PS3s flood the market after E3.
Posted by muzuabo, Sun Feb-24-13 11:11 AM
280572, Yeah. If you are going to sell it. Sell it now.
Posted by jetblack, Mon Feb-25-13 09:48 AM
I'm keeping mine.
280573, I don't think the PS3 will die that hard a death
Posted by BigReg, Mon Feb-25-13 09:52 AM
>I'm keeping mine.

They kept on shilling the PS3 along with the Vita during all of the presentation; there will be some features that make it onto that system...along with the fact that none of the PS3 hits will be locally backwards compatible (gotta go to dat cloud!)
280575, PS3 already has a 'second life' lol
Posted by jetblack, Mon Feb-25-13 10:30 AM
It's a Blu-ray player and media center.
280592, Could they offer the PS3 as a budget system?
Posted by muzuabo, Mon Feb-25-13 11:09 PM
280555, I wonder if we'll see games go up to $70 per title
Posted by Playa_Politician, Sat Feb-23-13 05:52 PM
ps2/xbox games were $50 new, ps3/360 $60... i wouldn't doubt a $10 addition for newer consoles, especially if they'll still be making ps3 games.
280556, I've bought a game this generation that was $69
Posted by ne_atl, Sat Feb-23-13 06:44 PM
280557, I remember paying $70 for Chrono Trigger in like 1996
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Sat Feb-23-13 07:33 PM
280559, I think they're dodging that with micros and DLC
Posted by Nodima, Sun Feb-24-13 12:14 PM
Tretton was on CNBC or whatever financial station talking about how they want games "from 99 cents to 60 dollars" and that they'd really work hard to keep justifying that $60 price point.

To me that means DLC.

~~~~~~~~~
280571, Sega Genesis , Strider $89.99.
Posted by jetblack, Mon Feb-25-13 09:21 AM
My brother and I got it as a gift TOGETHER lol
280574, HA
Posted by 13Rose, Mon Feb-25-13 10:07 AM
I could have sworn I remember Super Mario Bros. 2 costing something like that if not more.
280582, cosign everyone else
Posted by will_5198, Mon Feb-25-13 02:13 PM
N64 games were regularly $70-$80 and Super Nintendo RPGs were $80+

and this was in the '90s; add inflation to those numbers
280593, I got Street Fighter 2 on SNES at launch for $70
Posted by Lach, Mon Feb-25-13 11:21 PM
I don't miss those high price days
280595, I got Street Fighter 2 on Genesis...
Posted by jimaveli, Tue Feb-26-13 12:46 AM
Cats had to wait FOREVER for that game to drop for Genesis. It was the 'Special Champion's Edition'. It was also comfortably $70. And I paid that with pride and proceeded to Ken SRK spam my way through life. I thought I was the illest thing going when I beat it without losing a round on the highest level.

I remember Strider being some disrespectful price too...like $80. I didn't even mess with that joint over that price. Hell..I don't think I ever even played that game..maybe on Sega Channel...my homeboy's little brother had Sega Channel. It was all the way on up in there.

And N64 use to BE having $70 games. When I bought Virtual Pro Wrestling 2, I came off of over $100 when you consider the extra thing you needed to play imports. This was also done with pride. I knew about that joint cuz a rental place had VPW1 (and a bangin ass clerk chick that I use to try to creep mack on..with a 50 Cent on Erin Andrews at Nascar amount of success). Knocking folks out with Vader, Kobashi, or Misawa was the illest thing...

That is until I got Fire Pro Wrestling on Saturn and was introduced to the Critical.

Jimaveli
280600, ^^^^^
Posted by jetblack, Tue Feb-26-13 10:19 AM
280583, LOL at niggas saying they switchin to PC cuz of cost
Posted by The DC Sniper, Mon Feb-25-13 04:48 PM
A possible $500 console is too much for you cheap ass niggas, so you gonna buy a $2K comp instead? A $2K comp that'll be obsolete next year. The top of the line comp I bought last year can't even play the new Tomb Raider at optimal settings.
280597, First mistake, is you bought a gaming PC, lol.
Posted by BigReg, Tue Feb-26-13 08:59 AM
>A possible $500 console is too much for you cheap ass niggas,
>so you gonna buy a $2K comp instead? A $2K comp that'll be
>obsolete next year. The top of the line comp I bought last
>year can't even play the new Tomb Raider at optimal settings.

Second, really PC gaming is dirt as cheap. The initial investment is a motherfucker (figure 600 bucks to get a decent gaming rig) but after that your games cost an avg of what 30 bucks? And these are top tier games.
280599, PC gaming is dying a slow death.
Posted by jetblack, Tue Feb-26-13 09:26 AM
It's been dying for a while. It's the Walking Dead.
280601, It's actually not.
Posted by wallysmith, Tue Feb-26-13 10:34 AM
The Steam, Amazon, Origin, GMG, Indie Bundle, etc. sales alone show that there's a massive PC gaming crowd. Minecraft is the crowning jewel of a PC game that was adapted for wide consumption. The release of the Ouya and the Valve console this year show a marriage between PC gaming and console convenience.

The PS4 is proof that living in the cloud is the future, and PC gaming already has that locked down in spades.

Now, there's no question that console gaming is bigger, that's not what I'm saying at all. But all these people talking about "PC gaming is dying" have been saying that for YEARS.... which simply hasn't been true then, and it's not true now. And this year you're going to see a much smaller gap between PC and console gaming, with a lot of blurring lines.
280603, Yeah, people forget PC gaming was always a smaller audience
Posted by BigReg, Tue Feb-26-13 10:56 AM
>The Steam, Amazon, Origin, GMG, Indie Bundle, etc. sales
>alone show that there's a massive PC gaming crowd. Minecraft
>is the crowning jewel of a PC game that was adapted for wide
>consumption.

It's not as if Quake 2 was selling 30 million copies like COD4 and shit.

It's getting blurrier because well, lets be honest, consoles basically took the PC gaming model and put a walled garden around it..if you're a PC developer why not try to get some of that console cakey at the same time. But that doesn't mean it's not a focus, the two best developers out there (Blizzard/Valve) still have PC as their primary focus.
280637, Devs make content on mediums that sell
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-27-13 09:59 AM
PC gaming is going anywhere but is no longer the lead focus.

I still say its dying. ;P

Bite me.
280675, Honest question; based on what, exactly?
Posted by wallysmith, Thu Feb-28-13 08:53 AM

>I still say its dying. ;P

Just your own personal perceptions or is it based on some trends in the industry?

Consoles became huge because you get standardized architecture that developers can leverage to hit a large, unified userbase. No question that the myriad types of PC configurations have hindered PC gaming in the past... BUT, now you have:

- The Xbox series, which was intentionally built to more closely resemble PC architecture
- The PS4, which features an x86 chip, which is a complete 180 from the proprietary Cell processor from its predecessor
- The Valve console, which is basically a PC with **standardized architecture that developers can leverage to hit a large, unified userbase** (sound familiar?)
- A console emphasis on the cloud, which the PC has already been leveraging for years

So yes, while we've been hearing the "PC gaming is dying" death knell for a while now, what's currently going on in the gaming landscape points to anything BUT that.
280714, You have no idea what the hell you are talking about
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Fri Mar-01-13 12:26 PM
Aren't you a mac head, you haven't played a decent PC game in your life.

280607, second mistake: tomb raider was a bad example
Posted by Jesse Badgreen, Tue Feb-26-13 11:49 AM
the recommended specs are full of three year old parts.
280598, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^console gaming is so much cheaper!
Posted by jetblack, Tue Feb-26-13 09:19 AM
$500 isn't that much! Price out a mobo, case, RAM, Graphics, HDD/SED/SSD and you're knocking on 600-700+
280604, yeah $600 for a gaming machine, AND ITS A COMPUTER
Posted by hardware, Tue Feb-26-13 11:14 AM
can't beat that
280605, http://i.imgur.com/l8PPo.gif
Posted by wallysmith, Tue Feb-26-13 11:33 AM
http://i.imgur.com/l8PPo.gif
280636, Here have a meh. Meh.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-27-13 09:58 AM
280638, *shrug* Never understood that "too expensive!" argument anyways.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Feb-27-13 10:13 AM
If you cut out the $300-$500 necessary for the *bare minimum* parts required for an actual working computer, then a $800-$1000 PC puts you in the same price range as a launch console. Factor in the major savings from the prices of games themselves, and you're ahead with not much work.

Seriously, just name almost any multiplatform game and I'm about 95% sure that game can be found way cheaper on PC sooner or later.

Now, if you want to get into gaming on your TV or the troubleshooting or not having physical media or playing with friends or whatever... ok, then you've got a legitimate argument. But price isn't, and really hasn't ever been, a real argument in picking consoles over PC's (unless your only exposure to "PC Gaming" is Alienware, in which case that's your own damn fault. Might as well buy some Monster cables while you're at it).
280635, Meh.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-27-13 09:57 AM
280698, ?
Posted by hardware, Thu Feb-28-13 10:16 PM
i was agreeing with you
or were you being sarcastic
280608, Who the hell said they're switching to PC because of cost?
Posted by PlanetInfinite, Tue Feb-26-13 11:52 AM

i'm out.
Posted by jorge123, Wed Feb-27-13 07:43 PM
People who say otherwise haven't thought about it for more than 10 minutes OR are wii-fit soccer moms to whom consoles actually are legitimately cheaper.

People who think console gaming is cheaper are probably under the impression that they spend a few hundred dollars each generation on video games. Wrong. Here's what I spent this gen on just my xbox stuff (I'm sure this is fairly typical):

- Xbox 360 elite console: $400
- Wireless adapter: $100
- 4 years of Xbox LIVE: $120
- 3 games brand new @ $60 (Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo 4): $180
- Roughly 20 games either used or discounted @ approx $25: $500
- Kinect: $150
- Xbox 360 Slim (first console RROD'd): $200
- 250gb HD: $50

That's $1700. And less than half of that comes from the actual consoles, even though I bought 2.

How much do you think it would take to buy a solid PC with 23 games? I bet you could easily do it for under $1200.

Console gaming is a luxury - you pay for the convenience. Please don't pretend that it is both more convenient AND cheaper, because the facts just don't hold up. The bulk of your expenses, unless you are a wii fit soccer mom, are going to come from games. And games are ridiculously expensive on consoles as compared to on PC.
280713, A gaming rig hasn't cost $2000 since Pentium IV
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Fri Mar-01-13 12:24 PM
You can build one for less the $700

280623, Well, this was timely: The console war has changed (swipe)
Posted by wallysmith, Tue Feb-26-13 05:35 PM
Can the PS4 make gaming easy again?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/26/4018888/ps4-frictionless-gaming-pc-wins-graphics-race

The console war has changed: can the PS4 make gaming easy again?
Consoles no longer defined by graphical fidelity

By Sean Hollister on February 26, 2013

Seven years ago, Nintendo made a crazy bet. With the Nintendo Wii, the company decided not to compete with the then-upcoming Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 when it came to gaming graphics. Instead, Nintendo made the console experience more accessible, and kept the price tag hundreds of dollars cheaper than the competition. The result: record sales, record profits, and an expansion of the gaming audience unlike any in history.

With the PlayStation 4, Sony is desperate to pull a similar trick — to redefine what the console means while actually profiting on hardware sales. Only in 2013, that's harder than ever before: every human being who carries a smartphone already has an incredibly easy-to-use miniature game console in their pocket at no added charge. Meanwhile, the gaming PC has gotten so powerful so quickly that it could be exorbitantly expensive for a console to deliver equally stunning graphics today. Boxed in by the PC and the smartphone, how can Sony impress anyone at a price they'll be happy to pay?

Perhaps by pursuing something different: frictionless gaming.

On February 20th, I watched Sony's press conference on a ridiculous gaming PC: a beautiful, audacious, imposing $9,000 Falcon Northwest Mach V with three GeForce GTX Titan graphics cards stuffed inside its towering frame. You see, the very day before Sony's "See the Future" event, Crytek had already shown the future to me: I was borrowing this computer for the launch of Crysis 3. And what a juxtaposition: Nothing Sony showed on stage, tentatively promised for the end of 2013, looked half as good as the game I'd already started playing.

I'll admit it, the Falcon Northwest Mach V is a ridiculous computer, and Crysis 3 is a ridiculous game. Nobody needs to spend $3,000 on three graphics cards, and as much fun as I had sprinting through a dense, foliage-packed minefield while being chased by laser-guided missiles fired from watchtowers in the sky, Crysis 3 is not the be-all, end-all of gaming. I'm also well aware that comparing the PlayStation 4 against a $9,000 computer isn't remotely fair, or even against my $1,000 homebuilt PC that can also play the game at a fair clip.

But watching the PlayStation 4 press conference on that $9,000 PC — using an infinitesimal fraction of its full power — brought me to a realization. Graphical quality isn't the most important differentiator in the next console war. Instead, it's about making gaming on a console as immediate and simple as watching television.

Even with an expensive pre-built gaming PC, with no components to screw in, I still had my work cut out for me. I had to spend hours installing games, updating drivers, patching games, entering CD-keys into annoying DRM authentication mechanisms, tweaking game settings, and even Googling for hacks when my games wouldn't properly display across three monitors simultaneously. I find that kind of thing fun, even rewarding in my career, but it's a lot for a working adult to bear.

And over the course of the last console generation, PC-like frustrations have been creeping in. Previously, you could just pop a cartridge or disc into a console, and play a finished game. The only friction was to occasionally get up from the couch to change games. But with the advent of internet connectivity and local storage, patches and huge game installs became the norm on the modern game console.

The real innovation at Sony's press conference was the promise of a better future: a future where you simply press a button to start playing.

Like a smartphone, the PlayStation 4 will always be on — always ready for action — and it will download updates and even entire games for you automatically in the background. You won't have to wait for those games to download to start playing them.A BETTER FUTURE FOR GAMING? And if you're not sure whether you want to buy a game to begin with — and have a solid internet connection — Sony's Gaikai service promises to let you stream a trial of any game, delivering it much like a YouTube video. With more-or-less standard AMD x86 silicon inside, the console should let developers build games more easily than before, and hopefully make the console cheaper — perhaps the most important friction of all.

If reports are correct, Sony's not the only one pursuing simple and cheap. The next Xbox is rumored to have very similar specs to the announced PS4, and make more use of Kinect motion and voice control — reducing the friction of a typical game controller. Of course, Nintendo's Wii U doesn't attempt to push graphics much further than the existing Xbox 360 and PS3, instead attempting to cater to the tablet generation using a touchscreen built into the controller.

For perhaps the first time in any console generation, graphics aren't key. And that makes the gaming PC a last refuge for graphics junkies.

Traditionally, each console generation has leapfrogged anything seen on PC the year before. While F.E.A.R. and Battlefield 2 looked great for 2005, they couldn't compare to the beauty of the PS3's Heavenly Sword. Yet while PS4 titles Killzone: Shadow Fall and Watch Dogs look pretty, they pale in comparison to PC games that you can play today, games like Max Payne 3, Battlefield 3, and of course Crysis 3. No doubt games built for the next generation of consoles will look even better on PC.

And if you've got the money and the patience, PC games can be more immersive, too: my triple-Titan rig was powerful enough to play Crysis 3 across three monitors at an incredible 5760 x 1080 resolution, giving me both tremendous detail and peripheral vision with a wrap-around field of view. With the power of upcoming components, virtual reality headsets like the Oculus Rift could offer even more. And if the PC goes unchallenged long enough, Valve's Steam Box might make your next computer as easy to use as today's game consoles.

But by the time the PC gets there, our conception of a game console may have changed. If Sony can truly make every single PlayStation 4 game instantly accessible, seamlessly streaming the bits and bytes of code you need to play immediately while you download the rest from the cloud — and add a subscription service on top — there's no reason why the next PlayStation wouldn't be as easy to use as a television. You could go channel surfing, click-click-clicking your way to the game you want, and be playing it the moment you pick up a game controller in earnest.

The games Sony showed off on February 20th didn't wow, but that doesn't mean that Sony can't succeed. The PlayStation 4 could still placate the masses with good-enough graphics, an attractive price, and games that are as easy to play as watching a show on TV. And if Microsoft is smart — leveraging its content partners and cloud infrastructure — the next Xbox will have a similar play.

The pieces are in place.
280634, I don't know; parts of this article could have been written anytime
Posted by BigReg, Wed Feb-27-13 09:17 AM
>On February 20th, I watched Sony's press conference on a
>ridiculous gaming PC: a beautiful, audacious, imposing $9,000
>Falcon Northwest Mach V with three GeForce GTX Titan graphics
>cards stuffed inside its towering frame. You see, the very day
>before Sony's "See the Future" event, Crytek had already shown
>the future to me: I was borrowing this computer for the launch
>of Crysis 3. And what a juxtaposition: Nothing Sony showed on
>stage, tentatively promised for the end of 2013, looked half
>as good as the game I'd already started playing.
>

This was always the case; PC games were still kicking PS3/360 ass visually on it's release its just 3d gaming finally matured for consoles and for the first time they were really able to play PC games without major changes (abiet at the lowest settings, LOL).

I do think that the initiatives to go to the cloud/improve the user experience is where this generation will take off. Even though people still complain about installing videocards/drivers...yada yada yada, to be honest PC gaming was EASIER this gen then console gaming...steam was easily the best online gaming platform..patches just rolled through in the background, no real major flubs like a PSN network going down for 3 months, or 360 games badly needing patches limping along for months till they get approved.
280641, Honestly, it's not the best written article.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Feb-27-13 10:26 AM
It was more timely with regards to the current discussion in this thread, but there were some good points made about "frictionless" gaming.

Interesting point about the difference in PC vs console gaming this gen though... I wouldn't go so far as saying it was "easier" (troubleshooting is still a bitch), but with respect to Steam and patch updates I would absolutely agree. Being privy to stuff like the Steam sales has actually been a pretty big revelation to me... being able to buy whatevers without regards for the system reqs is great, and I'm lucky that my desk is close enough to my TV to game on there.

Ironically, my TV is actually the bottleneck now with respect to playing on the highest possible settings. I'm just hoping my bonus is big enough this year to justify an entirely unnecessary "impulse" TV purchase to my wife.
280633, Anyone need a BC PS3 for parts?
Posted by jetblack, Wed Feb-27-13 09:09 AM
The board was repaired overseas and the warranty has been voided. The PS3 freezes in the XMB 40% of the time. I don't need it. Inbox me. Make an offer.
280657, I got one lying around too
Posted by Playa_Politician, Wed Feb-27-13 06:35 PM
i can get it to start and it stays on w/no problem. just the disc drive is messed up.

i've looked into modding it but there's nothing out there that's piqued my interest.
280715, how much you want for it, I just need the motherboard
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Fri Mar-01-13 12:34 PM
but I have the PS3 40gb non bc.

280720, i need a motherboard how much you looking for?
Posted by JAESCOTT777, Fri Mar-01-13 02:52 PM
280752, mine is a launch 60gb BC system
Posted by Playa_Politician, Sat Mar-02-13 07:52 PM
i only really want to keep the hard drive if anything because it's one i added (650gb)
280766, jet check your inbox punk!
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Sun Mar-03-13 05:29 PM

280663, PC will be the lead platform for Watch Dogs.
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Feb-27-13 09:40 PM
Big ups to Sony for getting their head out their ass with all the proprietary shit and going with more standardized architecture. This benefits everyone... and the lines between PC and console gaming are getting blurrier.

http://www.destructoid.com/pc-is-the-lead-platform-for-watch-dogs-247165.phtml

PC is the lead platform for Watch Dogs
Ubisoft confirms that console versions will be ports

6 hours ago - 1:45 PM on 02.27.2013 by Joshua Derocher

In a recent chat with Inside Gamer, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot talked about how the PC version of Watch Dogs is going to be the leading platform.

"Previously, we developed games first on the Xbox 360 and then translated onto the PS3. It took a lot of time and money to make that port. Now we develop from the PC and versions are translated into a console like the PlayStation 4," he said.

With the newer hardware design of the PlayStation 4, it's going to be easier to make games on the PC and then port them to the consoles. The differences in hardware are less of a problem, and scaling something down is easier than scaling it up. While PC gamers might be running around rejoicing over this, it's also good news for everyone. It will be cheaper, quicker, and easier to create cross-platform games, and the resulting product will look better since the engine doesn't have to be drastically reworked for different hardware.

Ubisoft boss Yves Guillemot on the PS4 - Interview
280673, Watch Dogs looks insane
Posted by crow, Thu Feb-28-13 04:19 AM
can't fucking wait for that game
280716, ever since I installed windows on my mac, I've gotten more into PC gaming
Posted by Lach, Fri Mar-01-13 01:23 PM
I'm going to be looking forward to checking this out.
280719, I have a PS3 now and I think that might be the end of the road
Posted by Ish, Fri Mar-01-13 02:51 PM
for me. I'll wait to see what Microsoft will come up with but the older I get, the less time I have to play video games.