Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectIt took the jury just two days of deliberation...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=266716&mesg_id=275181
275181, It took the jury just two days of deliberation...
Posted by wallysmith, Tue Aug-28-12 11:16 AM
to get through 109 pages of jury instructions and 20+ pages with over 700 questions that involved over a dozen devices.... WITH unanimous consent on each question.

http://news.yahoo.com/apple-jurors-grappled-complex-patent-issues-211251512--finance.html

Deliberations in the Apple v. Samsung battle were far more challenging than most. The jury was confronted with hundreds of questions on a 20-page verdict form that was more complicated than a U.S. tax return. They had in the jury room more than two dozen electronic devices at issue, 12 patents to decipher and 109-pages of instructions from the judge on rendering a verdict.

"This case is unmanageable for a jury," Robin Feldman, an intellectual property professor at the University of California Hastings Law School, said before the verdict. "There are more than 100 pages of jury instructions. I don't give that much reading to my law students. They can't possible digest it."

"The trial is evidence of a patent system that is out of control," Feldman said. "No matter what happens in this trial, I think people will need to step back and ask whether we've gone too far in the intellectual property system."

The jury arrived at its verdict after less than three days of deliberations, far swifter than many experts thought in view of the many complex issues.

The foreman, Velvin Hogan, a 67-year-old electrical engineer, told the San Jose Mercury News on Saturday that the panel was methodical. "We didn't whiz through this," said Hogan, who relied on his own experience patenting inventions. "We took it very seriously."
Hogan, who does not own Apple products, said the first task was to determine if Apple's patents were valid. Using his own experience getting a patent, Hogan said he had a revelation on first night of deliberations while watching television. "I was thinking about the patents, and thought, 'If this were my patent, could I defend it?'" Hogan recalled. "Once I answered that question as yes, it changed how I looked at things."

The foreman was biased from the start.