Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectBeen using it at work all week. Assessment:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=259362&mesg_id=259778
259778, Been using it at work all week. Assessment:
Posted by Mongo, Thu Jul-28-11 10:50 AM
Lion on a 15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB of RAM, 750 GB Western Digital 7200 rpm internal storage upgrade, NVidia 9600 gfx card

- Modal computing & Gestures: I keep AE open in one space, Illustrator in another, Mail in another; etc. Three fingered swipe between spaces is fast, feels natural, and actually speeds my workflow a bit. Mission Control actually works better for my needs than the various Expose features. Overall, the part I'm happiest about with the OS.

-Launchpad: It's inoffensive. I keep my apps folder on my dock, which affects a similar speed of access. The gesture for launchpad is actually pretty handy, but it organizes your apps like a fucking asshole. Also, there are doubles of some of my apps now that only show up in Launchpad view.

-Finder: All My Files view is mildly helpful. I have absolutely no use for AirDrop at present. THEY TOOK AWAY DIRECT ACCESS TO THE LIBRARY DIRECTORY. As someone who has to move fonts, Motion templates, plug-ins,; etc, this is a pile of malarial horseshit. I shouldn't have to type '~/Library' just to get access to my software's innards. Also, my computer suddenly autocorrects the following: curses, Yiddish, slang, CURSES, and names. Fuck you, asshole computer. I know better than you.

'Natural' scrolling. People who piss about this are kind of retarded. You can turn it off. I haven't: I use iOS devices enough that it's not a big deal.

I miss the scroll bar, though, because it has disappeared from ALL MY FUCKING APPS except Maya. When you've got a million layers in a comp, it's a pain in the shaven manparts scrolling through that shit -- I want to be able to jump around. That option's been taken from me.
- Fullscreen apps: kind of bullshit. Fullscreen Mail, Safari, Chrome; etc is aesthetically aligned with jumping from screen to screen, but it's otherwise useless. It doesn't add or subtract from the user experience.

-Resume: Doesn't suck. Little irritating with Adobe projects.

- Boot time and shut down take a quarter of the time theory used to in 10.6.8. Apps quit faster. I'm crashing less than I used to, which is interesting. Maya's menus used to have a corruption where options int he Attributes would render in webdings -- that's unfucked itself now.

Mac native apps (mail, calendar, address book) are whatever. Mail is still slower than Thunderbird in my experience. The message threading works better in Sparrow (Which is a nice, lighter client that looks like the Twitter app). The Calendar app is (dare I see) even less useful. Address Book's got a smaller footprint.

Thus far, for my needs, I give the upgrade an 7.5 out of 10