Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectIt really is. Bethesda is currently in last place when it comes to enemy AI patterns
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=251297&mesg_id=265847
265847, It really is. Bethesda is currently in last place when it comes to enemy AI patterns
Posted by ansomble, Mon Nov-21-11 12:58 PM
It's really frustrating to a degree and flagrantly apparent with newer titles and IPs making such astounding advancements in enemy AI like Batman, Assassin's Creed, and even Rage, irony aside.

I could come up with a laundry list of shit that any person with their thumb up their ass could have thrown down at the idea table. Not sure why Bethesda doesn't beta test their AI with people that could add insight to things that work and don't work. Or just make the encounters more SPECIAL you know to spice things up. I've already gotten bored on occasion playing this, in the same way I did with Oblivion no less. Maybe it's me growing up as a gamer, maybe it's my play style, who knows.

-Wolves/Cats/Bears/Skeever AI shouldn't act the same as humanoid AI and with animal instinct should be able to track you down without line of sight. Sneaking on them should be extremely difficult.

-Dragons shouldn't do that melodramatic fly into the sky just to nosedive when their health is low. Better scripting there.

-Bandit AI. Make them pull torches to find you in the darkness of caves/ruins. Have them yell for help or retreat to more people. Take a defensive position trying to stay the direction of a hidden attacker. Have them lose their cool and swing into the darkness once the torch goes out. Have them accuse other bandits in the room (how awesome would it be if the bandit hit with the arrow accused the archer bandit of shooting him and attacks him! ... even more deliberation if the arrow used to attack wasn't the same as the arrows he's using!) Bandits with wolves that sniff you out in caves and ruins. Enemies that relight torch sconces.
-Mage AI. Use lighting spells to light the darkness up. Use life detection spells to find you in a failed kill sneak attack.

And to a more hardcore degree why isn't there a leveling in the cooking ability? There couldn't be something added into Alchemy or something? Alot of the food creations are borderline pointless with only a handful of dishes that actually are worth a fuck of lugging around with you. Why not include a hunger meter that damages stamina when you don't eat for a while?

Why no frost damage or affects when travelling in the cold maybe? Certain armors that prevent that damage. It's a freezing tundra after all and I've got on NOTHING.

Why do farmers not react to you plucking all their crops from their land and walking off with them?

On another PRO tally, I do like the segregation of the land. Khaajits are all nomads and cutthroats, Orcs are NOWHERE or are muscle, Argonians are service workers, Dunmer are looked down upon and are usually slumming, etc. It's kinda awesome.