Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectHip me to how MMORPG's work.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=246933
246933, Hip me to how MMORPG's work.
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Dec-13-10 03:58 PM
cause i'm thinking about signing up to one
even considered WOW

will i need to join groups?
i mean, are these actual stories or what?
can i just run through the story of most of these games by myself?

outside of being online and interacting with others, what are the major differences?

and what are some good ones aside from the only one i know about, WOW? i was gonna join the matrix online game but apparantly that got shut down last year.
246942, A brief rundown
Posted by crow, Mon Dec-13-10 05:17 PM
WoW is generally considered the best but I can't give my full take on the others since I haven't played. Most aren't mac friendly.

I know at least WoW has a huge story, it spans a regular game and three expansions now. If you want to learn the story you can, take the time to talk to people, read all the dialogue. Or, you can skip all that crap.

If you've ever played and RPG, then you have a basic idea. Each race has different classes you can be. I won't get into the rundown of them all since I am trying to keep WoW lingo out of it.

Running around questing you can certainly do it on your own. I spend most of my time doing it alone. If you want to do a dungeon though, you'll have to be in a group.

Right now is a good time to play WoW again since a lot of new changes have happened.

Now, a big thing about these games, especially WoW, is how fucking intense people are about them. Some people take WoW extremely seriously. That, and their is a whole language and culture to learn and you'll be very lost at the beginning. Don't let the hardcore WoW folks ruin it for you if you do decide to hop in.
246946, yeah, i'm not that into the community element of it
Posted by Cold Truth, Mon Dec-13-10 05:39 PM
i really just want to play through the story of that world. i'm a big fan of reign of chaos. i still haven't touched frozen throne and that's what i'm gonna tackle next...

quick question, is it just me running around with my character though? how much of the RTS experience got ported over? cause that's the thing that draws me in the most to be honest. i'd like to still setup and manage a base camp here and there, mine resources, set up my defenses, etc....

or is this strictly a solo hero quest>?

also, heard anything about aeon?
246978, In terms of the RTS elements...
Posted by crow, Tue Dec-14-10 03:08 AM
There are none. It is nothing like the previous Warcraft games where they are RTS. You are a character and level up.

The community element is really up to you. I find dungeon groups fun, but don't really mess with other folks all that much when I play.

Haven't heard much about Aeon