Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectI think 192 is fine most of the time.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=235327&mesg_id=261136
261136, I think 192 is fine most of the time.
Posted by Steve O Tron v2, Tue Sep-06-11 07:21 AM
>but I'm wondering if I'll notice much of a difference with
>192kbps AAC on my iPhone.
>
>I pretty much only listen to music on the go, so I feel like a
>lot of what's talked about on the head-fi forums doesn't apply
>to me.

People that tell you they can tell the difference between a 192kbps rip and a v0, 320, or lossless rip are usually full of shit unless they've done a true blind ABX test with enough trials to to claim they can discern (I mean in a statistically significant level) between the quality. With that said, most of my stuff is v0+ because that's just what I'm comfortable with.

The headphones are really good, and I'm going to definitely keep them. I don't think I'll be selling my HD650s, however, since I've been doing some comparisons and I prefer the Sennheisers for certain genres/tracks. If you primarily listen to hip hop or bassy electronic stuff, I'd say the M50s are a good bet. The bass is punchier, and the closed design gives that subwwoofer effect that you don't really get with the Sennheisers. The M50 reminds me of the Denon D2000s (physically and sound), except the M50s didn't have terrible sibilance issues for me, The Sennheisers are a bit better when it comes to the midrange, and a lot of the stuff I have with female vocals or stuff I expected to sound "lush" sound a bit better on the 650s. I'm pretty much just reaffirming what most people have said about the two headphones.

I've owned the following full headphones: SR60i, SR80i, ATH-AD700, ATH-M50s, HD 555, HD 650, AKG K701, Denon D2000, and Denon D5000s, and I'd say that the ATH-M50s are the best bang for the buck. The Grados are great at their price point ($80-100), but they're more suited primarily for rock, and the M50s are better all-rounders, although the HD555 is pretty solid too (but a bit boring sounding). I got them for 125 from ProAudioMart on eBay (an authorized Audio Technica reseller, so you get the warranty).