Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectrankings are all relative to price point.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=235327&mesg_id=260954
260954, rankings are all relative to price point.
Posted by Steve O Tron v2, Wed Aug-31-11 07:42 PM
a Civic might be rated a 9/10 for what it is and is a great car, but it's not exactly a Benz that gets a 8/10.

I just used extremes for my example, and I think the discernable quality between 120 and 360 dollar headphones probably isn't worth it (diminishing returns). Moreover, something like the HD650 is going to require amplification, which tacks on additional costs. I just ordered some M50s yesterday and should be receiving them tomorrow. I'm actually thinking of selling my setup (NuForce HD, HD650, and K701) if I like the M50s enough. I like headphones, but I think I'm much more comfortable at the lower price points. I might end up going with the M50 as my sole headphones if they are good enough.

HD650s are open headphones so they do have really good soundstage (K701s are better in that regard, though), and the overall sound quality is great, but I find myself listening through speakers so often that it's hard to justify keeping my current setup (resell value of what I have is pretty damn good).