Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectGood article.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=222158&mesg_id=223551
223551, Good article.
Posted by muzuabo, Thu Feb-25-10 02:46 AM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/107/1072032p1.html

Five Ways to Improve Modern Warfare 2's Multiplayer
A great game could be made even better with a few tweaks.
by Hilary Goldstein
LATEST IMAGES

View all 45 images
LATEST VIDEO

View all 41 videos
February 24, 2010 - Millions of gamers have dedicated dozens (even hundreds) of hours each to Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer. They want to level up, earn new titles and emblems, and dominate strangers online. I'm one of them. Modern Warfare 2 has great multiplayer. But everyone who plays it knows that it could be even better.

The issues with Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer aren't very different from most other online games. But since I (and a million other folks) spend so many of my nights playing MW2 online, it's important that Infinity Ward lead the charge and improve the experience. Not only would it make MW2 more enjoyable, but it might help other developers build better online shooters in the future.

The Issue: One of my favorite multiplayer maps is Terminal. In the past two weeks, over roughly ten hours of online time, I've played Terminal only twice. Twice. Meanwhile, I keep getting cycled into Skidrow and Derail -- good maps, sure, but perhaps it's too much of a good thing. For those like myself who play in a "hopper" such as Ground War (which cycles between Team Deathmatch and Domination modes) too often we see just one game type repeatedly. I had one night recently where I only played Team Deathmatch and not a single game of Domination over the course of two hours.

The Solution: Map randomization needs refinement. Currently, more than half the players must vote down a map in order for it to be skipped. Lessen the number of votes required to skip a map. There should be a "like/dislike" option added. Let gamers give thumbs up for the maps they love and then give those heavier rotation for the week than those which people continually show dissatisfaction over.

As for game types, the easiest solution is to make it so that you never play the same game mode twice in a row. Or that you never play it more than twice in a row. Force some balance. The system is searching for the quickest match, so ensuring everyone never plays a string of the same mode in a row might be difficult, but there's no reason anyone should play the same game type for hours on end without a sniff of another mode.

The Issue: In objective-based modes, many players do nothing to help the team win. Too many people treat every game mode like Team Deathmatch and are only concerned with increasing their kill count. Completing objectives earns you experience points (XP), but it's not much more than what you get for focusing on killing opponents. This results in a breakdown in gameplay that turns what should be team-based affairs into free-for-alls.

The Solution: Increase the points earned for completing objectives based on the number of teammates nearby. Right now, everyone earns 150 points for claiming a domination point, regardless of the number of players securing the spot. For each additional member, add 25 points of XP. While it is harder to claim a spot alone, there should be a reward for getting your teammates to help out. If four people can earn an extra 75 XP by taking a spot together, then they will be more likely to coordinate and ensure everyone survives. True, you are "paying" people to be teammates. But it would work.

The Issue: The grenade launcher which attaches to assault rifles is dubbed the N00b Tube because it's an easy way for new players to get kills. Unfortunately, the N00b Tube is an overpowering tool that removes skill from Modern Warfare 2. Most perks and weapons have some counter. Tired of being targeted by predator missiles? Use the Cold-Blooded perk and become invisible to air attacks. Getting rocked by grenades? Equip the Blast Shield to survive explosions. But the N00b Tube is an instant killer with impressive splash damage that has no true counter. In unskilled hands, it is deadly. In expert hands, it's nearly unstoppable. And if the player is using the Scavenger perk (restocking ammo from the dead), they can have a near limitless supply of grenades to launch at other players.

The Solution: Lessen the amount of splash damage, lower the accuracy and offer fewer XP for N00b Tube kills. And how about this option -- a N00b Tube-free playlist so that gamers have the option of avoiding these types of cheap kills more easily.

The Issue: You can't play Modern Warfare 2 for long without being subjected to idiots who take the anonymity of online play too far. Racism, sexism and homophobia run rampant in Modern Warfare 2 to the point that many turn off the headset and never talk or listen to anyone. While Microsoft and Sony have some policing elements built into their online services, it's clearly not enough. A bunch of idiots are ruining Modern Warfare 2 and at some point it's up to Infinity Ward to reclaim its game.

The Solution: Create a zero-tolerance playlist. Consider it a family zone. If you play on this list, it is expected that no inappropriate language will be spoken and no offensive comments be made. Everyone else can still play in the regular games and be idiots, but folks who are sick of the racial slurs have a place to go. Let the players police this family fun zone. Three strikes (votes by competing players) and you are out for good.

The Issue: When I play Modern Warfare 2, it's usually for 2-3 hours. I've rarely made it through an entire play session without getting dropped out of a match at some point. Latency can be a critical factor in a player's effectiveness. Even the slightest variations in game speed between people can mean the difference between life and death. Modern Warfare 2 should be about skill, but quite often it comes down to who has the stronger connection.

The Solution: There's no one simple solution for this and I am not a technically savvy person. This one will take some hard work and dedication from Infinity Ward, but a balance needs to be struck so that players are competing solely on skill. I've never been dropped from more online games than I have in three months of playing Modern Warfare 2. And I have a solid connection. It's not good enough for the biggest game of 2009.

What do you think about Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer? Is it a flawless diamond, or could it use a bit of polish? Let us know what your experience has been with MW2, and what changes you'd like to see Infinity Ward make to its amazing online shooter.