Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectEmirates Stadium Playtest Impressions (swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=201229&mesg_id=201233
201233, Emirates Stadium Playtest Impressions (swipe)
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sun Aug-16-09 08:08 PM
http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/fifa-10-sony-playstation-3-microsoft-xbox-360/781245-fifa10-emirates-dave797-gameplay-review.html

Ok before I start just a few things about what I can talk about and what I experienced at the event so you’re all up to date.

-I only played the 6 week old build
-We played on the XBOX360 version only
-I can only talk about gameplay, no leagues, stats, modes etc
-The demo build was there but I can’t comment on it

Now on to the good stuff

Game Speed
A big issue for a lot of people is game speed and for me on the build we played it was perfect. The first few matches I played were on the “Normal” setting and it felt great. There was time in midfield to pass and build up play, I could slow the game down if I wanted and speed it up for incisive break a ways. Me and Tom then tried out the “Slow” setting. I didn’t like this as much it felt a little too slow for me personally but was still much better than 09. But for those who like it really slow you’ll have no issues this year.

Weather
If the weather was poor in Fifa09 then the weather in Fifa10 is nothing short of spectacular. For each stadium you can now choose between Day, Night and Overcast You can also change the conditions to either Dry, Rainy or Snowy!! Now where do I start with snow? It’s FANTASTIC, the pitch is frozen, snow is clearly falling from all camera angles and you can see the players breath it’s honestly brilliant. But Rainy is quite brilliant also, you see splash puddles from players feet when they run and slide tackle and (you’ll love this) me and Tom set a match to Rainy and kicked off, but it wasn’t raining?? We thought “oh a glitch perhaps?” but 30 mins in it bucketed down with rain..........stunned silence!

360 Dribbling
I personally loved 360 dribbling it doesn’t smash you in the face and say “here I am look at me!” It just blends with the whole game to the point where you don’t even notice it anymore. Everything is so much more fluid now and players really feel like they move and react naturally. Now sprinting with 360 some are worried about but don’t! It’s not full 360 when you sprint that’s correct but it’s not 8 directional either I’d say it’s about 16 directions. But it works really well because at full speed no one can run in circles or dance around in real life anyway. When sprinting at top speed you have to bend your runs away from the defender gradually not in sharp drastic movements, it feels really nice.

Skilled Dribble
It’s probably my favourite new element from the play test. Dive in at your peril guys because Messi and Co will tear you apart. You can jink your runs, cut inside, take on the full back and actually beat a man which is pretty much unheard of in 09. But that’s not to say it’s an all powerful super button, if you don’t time it right or dally on the ball the defenders will swallow you up no problem. It’s going to be a real art to master this year when using it yourself and trying to defend agaisnt it. I also found this useful with players like Xavi and Iniesta to create space in midfield, the small players will not be overlooked this year for sure.

Shooting
Once again a huge improvement from 09, the shooting is much heavier now and you can really drive the ball at goal rather than tapping shoot and it going into row Z. For instance I scored a cracking goal with Werder Bremen where I drilled a shot from 20 yards in to the bottom corner of the net. Volleys are also much better Mills scored a great goal with Carew where he chested down in the box and smashed a volley in. Overall shooting is great!

Player Animations
The player animations are great this year, there are so many more you notice as you play multiple games of Fifa10, the way the players sprint, change direction, jump, fall, slide are all great and their off the ball in game animations are even better. Example! I was Italy and cut in from the left and curled a shot towards the far post which clipped the edge of the post and went out for a goal kick. Di Natale (in game) drops to his knees looks the heavens and prays!...........Open mouths all round!

Jockeying/Jostling
This year instead of one default jockey animation there are now about 3 or 4 I noticed, it all depends on the defenders angle and position to how they jockey. And you must time your tackles now, no more holding pressure and the AI tackling for you. In fact after 3 or 4 games I noticed I was barley using pressure as it was pretty much in-affective. The jostling is great this year when players collide it’s really realistic, you no longer feel cheated when someone shoves you off the ball as it entirely depends on the individual situation as to who wins possession. Also some of the tackles are brutal, there were a few incidents where you wince at the ferocity the players show, when they go through someone boy do they go through someone It looks and feels great though and the refereeing is infinitely more clever and responsive this year.

Right that’s it hope you enjoyed it feel free to ask any gameplay related questions. Remember this was the 6 week old build we played and is not representative of the Demo that will be in Cologne!