Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectApp Store needs help / I need to learn Linux...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=190872&mesg_id=199871
199871, App Store needs help / I need to learn Linux...
Posted by spenzalii, Thu Aug-06-09 06:31 PM
Rumor has it a big drop in the apps store is due in the next week or so. Hope that's teh case. Homebrew is outpacing it 3:1. While I don't need all the homebrew apps, some show promise, even with the phone only 2-3 months old. Being able to download homebrew OTA with FileCoaster is great, and My Notification and Switcheroo make up for the Pre not being able to specify sounds for notifications and e-mails and allows changing the wallpaper automatically, which is nice (and yes, it should have done that natively, but it is what it is for now). The remotes they have for MinAmp, WMP and Itunes show promise, but really aren't more than neat tricks until you can pull up a playlist or specific song from the phone. Being able to stream Pandora to my stereo thru Bluetooth though? Sweeeeeeet....

b/w

Pre Central has been a good spot to get themes for the phone. If you have some knowledge of Linux and can gain root access (or are patient and can just follow instructions), you can tweak a bunch of stuff, I've managed to redo my dialer and some of the launch icons without a whole lot of fuss. Unfortunately, I've got to do it from a command line session since my terminal access doesn't seem to be working, but with a little time, I've been able to tweak it to my liking. There is a lot more you can do to access other features (like enabling Amazon downloads over EVDO, not just WiFi), but I've no grasp on how Linux works, and really don't want to screw anything up.

I like what the phone can do almost as much as I like the POTENTIAL for what it can do. Yes the phone works very well, and the OS is nice, but there are things that seem like they would be common sense to have if they weren't trying to rush it out the foor to meet the deadline. If Palm has a big push to get the developers behind it, it's got some serious potential to be a big player in the market (and more so if/when they license WebOS). Even if it doesn't get the push it deserves, the Homebrew community looks like they will be able to come up with some very nice stuff to fill in the gaps or even expand it if Palm and company fall on their face.

I do wonder how much Sprint paid to be the exclusive carrier for the time. If this was on, say Verizon, it would be the shiznit (although I could see the Big Red V neutering it with it's VCast bullshit and locking out wifi)