Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subject"Ikaruga" and other Shoot 'Em Up Discussion
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=177004
177004, "Ikaruga" and other Shoot 'Em Up Discussion
Posted by hardware, Sat Jan-03-09 03:27 PM
we talk about everything else. lets mix it up

i've liked top down shooters for as long as i can remember but i'm still not a beast.

I'm working my way through Ikaruga on hard

i just started playing Zero Gunner now that the Dreamcast is back out

what are your favorites? what game have you broken the controller on? lets discuss
177159, Geometry Wars 2 is kinda unfuckwittable at this point
Posted by celery77, Mon Jan-05-09 02:41 PM
shared leaderboards? multiple gameplay modes? quick rounds and huge multipliers? some of the best twitch you're going to get.

(Although I *do* love me some Ikaruga.)

I've played lots of R-Type: Final, but mainly to keep just unlocking new ships. It's gameplay is pretty soft compared to most others.
Me and a buddy had a few pretty solid nights getting drunk and playing Gradius V. That game was NOT fucking around.

Those are the two biggest I've played, probably, besides Ikaruga and GW2. I know I've played others, but never binged quite like those.
177174, Yeah, Geometry Wars 2 two is certified dope
Posted by Whiteout, Mon Jan-05-09 07:23 PM
Best update to a game concept I can remember in my hyperbolic mind.
177189, this thread is a good analogy re: the death of shooters.
Posted by will_5198, Mon Jan-05-09 10:26 PM
I'm not a big expert in the genre but I have my favorites.

UN Squadron (SNES) is one. choosing your specials, upgrading the ship and getting to pick mission order was great.

M.U.S.H.A. (Genesis) was another classic. top down, with some sick parallax effects going on. the whole feudal-mecha Japanese theme was a nice bonus.

right now I'm on Thunderforce V (Saturn). it's got some cool effects, in a retro 32-bit way. one of the weapons is abusively powerful tho.

if we're talking 3-D, then Panzer Dragoon Zwei (Saturn) is my all-time favorite shooter. the storyline and play design was boss, plus the graphics still look fluid to this date. can't beat that dragoon leveling up system either.