Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subject3G iPhone WDC announce post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=153057
153057, 3G iPhone WDC announce post
Posted by B9, Mon Jun-09-08 08:13 AM
Today's the day, folks. USToday already dropped the news that the price points seem to be confirmed, subsidized to $199. Should be the only gadget they drop here since its a damn dev. talk and not supposed to be for consumer products, but you know how that ol' Jobs is...
153058, Please respond here with your pre-iHate
Posted by L_O_Quent, Mon Jun-09-08 08:17 AM
thanks
153084, why hate? I've been using 3G for the last year
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Jun-09-08 11:36 AM
yall should be the mad ones.

FREE CHAI VANG!

YOU'VE READ MY FILE NIGGA (c) Jack 'Mufuckin' Bauer

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
153090, shit weigh's like P.E's uzi huh?
Posted by L_O_Quent, Mon Jun-09-08 11:44 AM
153259, well played.
Posted by James Peach, Tue Jun-10-08 09:53 AM
153060, sheeit... post details and pics, too!
Posted by CRATEWORM, Mon Jun-09-08 08:39 AM
...from what little I've seen and heard, this should be dope (black back and all)

haven't seen any confirmed specs yet...
153063, cant wait
Posted by universally_speaking, Mon Jun-09-08 09:16 AM
i really wanna buy an iPhone next month
153066, Visit the following sites for live updates
Posted by nipsey, Mon Jun-09-08 09:24 AM
http://www.macrumorslive.com/

http://www.engadget.com/tag/WWDC2008/

http://www.tuaw.com/

Last 7 movies I saw:

Cleaner: B-
Flash Point: C-
No Country For Old Men: B+
Harold & Kumar 2: C+
I Am Legend: B+
Michael Clayton: A-
Vantage Point: B-
153067, $199 iPhone forgone conclusion? (SWIPE)
Posted by nipsey, Mon Jun-09-08 09:29 AM
Here's the swipe of that USA Today article.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2008-06-08-apple-iphone_N.htm

It's presto, change-o as new iPhone is unveiled
By Jefferson Graham, USA TODAY

LOS ANGELES — Wouldn't it be cool if you could use your cellphone to monitor activities in your home, say, to zoom in for an audio/video check of the baby's room while you were at work, or even adjust the heat?

Or how about going to a theme park and checking your phone to discover if other friends are there, and arrange a meeting place?

Such concepts are not pie in the sky, but actual programs that have been developed for Apple's iPhone, the combination iPod/phone and Internet device first introduced to acclaim a year ago.

Consumers and reviewers alike gushed about its compact, futuristic design and sensitive touch-screen. But even its biggest fans have had one persistent chief complaint: The iPhone's Internet network from partner AT&T was too slow.

So get ready for iPhone 2.0: On Monday Apple (AAPL) is widely expected to introduce a zippier version that will operate on both a faster AT&T network, and speedier networks internationally. The price also will rock: $199, according to people with knowledge of the matter, down from the current $399 and $499. Sources declined to be cited by name or affiliation because Apple and AT&T haven't authorized anybody to speak publicly about pricing until after Monday's announcement. The $199 price is being subsidized, though USA TODAY could not confirm details.

According to sources, the new Apple device will be available in Apple and AT&T stores beginning this summer.

For consumers, the shift to 3G will be akin to going "from dial-up to broadband," says Gene Munster, an analyst at Piper Jaffray.

A new iPhone could go a long way toward fulfilling Apple CEO Steve Jobs' prediction that he'd sell 10 million iPhones in its first 18 months. So far, Apple has sold just over 5 million phones. Analysts who follow the company think a lower price and new international markets make it a sure bet that another 5 million will be snapped up this year.

Apple stopped taking orders for the iPhone in May, presumably to make way for the new model. Sales could substantially beef up Apple's bottom line, Munster says. Apple reported revenue of $24.0 billion in 2007. Munster sees sales growing to $34 billion this year, and $46.9 billion in 2009, thanks to the iPhone.

Beyond the new hardware, the biggest buzz around the iPhone this week will be the new uses being dreamed up for it. The software add-ons have the potential to turn the iPhone into the pocket computer of the future, as essential, Apple hopes, as the keys in your pocket or purse.

The iPhone economy

Apple's sold-out Worldwide Developer's Conference in San Francisco is the setting for Monday's iPhone lovefest, where software developers will convene to hear about the new iPhone. They're eager to hear CEO Jobs talk about how they can participate in what independent analyst Richard Doherty calls the "iPhone economy."

Earlier this year, instead of controlling everything that went on the iPhone, Apple released what's called an SDK — for "software developer's kit" — a road map that allows programmers to create applications for the iPhone. The first of those outside programs is expected to be released Monday, and made available on the iPhone and iPod Touch — the iPod that's just like the iPhone, except without a phone.

"Opening the pot of gold to developers is as important as the iPhone itself," Doherty says.

Once Apple approves a piece of software from an independent developer, it provides distribution — via a new "App" store on the iPhone and iPod Touch — and takes a 30% cut of revenue. "This means that anyone, whether you're 14 years old or 40, if you're a large company with 300 employees or a guy in a garage, has access to Apple's customers," Doherty says. "You don't have to make a presentation to a series of different handset manufacturers or wireless carriers. This is unheard of in software."

Access to the iPhone App store means that "we have a way to reach millions of consumers," says Darren Vengroff, the co-founder of Pelago, which developed Whrrl, a social network application.

Whrrl takes the online review phenomenon and marries it to the iPhone. The idea is that if you're searching for a restaurant, with a few clicks you can see which ones your friends — who are also Whrrl members — recommend. Whrrl is currently available for two BlackBerry phones and the Nokia N95.

The iPhone App store will "get so much traffic," adds Paul Dawes, CEO of iControl Networks, another iPhone developer. "It's not random traffic, but consumers who are actively looking for our types of applications."

The iControl application is the aforementioned home-monitoring system, or as Dawes calls it, "next-generation home security." With iControl, a device is plugged into your home network and connects to security panels, webcams and home-automation devices, allowing the homeowner control away from home. You can keep up with the action while at work on your desktop, or with the iPhone out in the field.

The iControl monitoring system is sold via home-security companies and a monthly subscription, but the iPhone application will be available for free.

Video game company Sega, best known for the old Sonic the Hedgehog video game, wowed attendees at a March meeting for developers when it showed off the Super Monkey Ball game for the iPhone.

There's no joystick controller for the iPhone to move the characters from left to right, so developer Ethan Einhorn came up with a novel idea: Just move the phone up or down, left or right, and the characters respond to the movement.

"What's great for a company like ours is that Apple has already defined the iPhone as a place to acquire and enjoy entertainment," Sega's Einhorn says. "Video games are the next natural step."

Earlier this year, legendary Silicon Valley venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (which had a role in funding Google, Amazon and AOL) started what it calls the "iFund," a $100 million pot looking to invest in iPhone application start-ups.

Kleiner Perkins invested in both iControl and Pelago, and is actively looking at 50 other start-ups, partner Matt Murphy says.

"We received about 2,000 proposals so far, and that's more than a factor of 20 of what we would have received from the general mobile sector," Murphy says. "What Apple has done is brought a lot of entrepreneurs off the sidelines. They feel 'open mobile' is here."

Historically, if you had an idea you wanted to sell to the mobile industry, you had to pay a visit to Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon. All have huge customer bases, but their phones work on different wireless systems. This requires a programmer to construct the program in different ways.

Apple isn't the only company pushing open mobile. To great fanfare earlier this year, Google introduced "Android," which it describes as a new wireless operating system that can be used with multiple carriers.

Google has been shy about releasing much Android information, but says we'll see phones in the second half of the year.

Unlike Apple, which produces its phone and has AT&T as the wireless network customers have to work with in the USA, Google is reaching out to many. Wireless manufacturers HTC, LG, Motorola and Samsung are all participating in Google's "Open Handset Alliance," along with carriers Sprint, T-Mobile and Japan's NTT DoCoMo.

A home run?

When the iPhone was released last year, eager consumers waited on line for days to get a crack at buying one of the first ones. A year later, Apple says it's sold over 5 million iPhones.

That pales in comparison with competitors. Windows Mobile, which provides software for phones from HTC, Samsung, Palm and others, says it will sell 20 million phones this year.

About 1 billion cellphones are sold every year. No. 1 manufacturer Nokia, for instance, sells more cellphones in a week than Apple has shipped to date. According to researcher Gartner, Nokia sold 435 million cellphones in 2007. Munster says the "real verdict" on the iPhone's success hasn't been reached. "The numbers are too small to call a home run."

Charles Golvin, an analyst at market tracker Forrester Research, says iPhone's impact has been felt by the entire wireless industry, which has been trying in vain for several years to sell lucrative add-on data plans.

"They have done a very poor job marketing these services," he says. "What Apple and the iPhone did was really communicate in a very simple way what the data plan could do for you. It's the Internet, but on your phone."

With a data plan, consumers pay an additional monthly charge — usually $15 to $25 — for access to the Internet on their phones, adding greatly to the carrier's bottom line.

Golvin says handset competitors such as LG, Sony Ericsson and Nokia are "really blatant" about how their new phones are clones of the iPhone. "The iPhone has raised awareness of what's possible."

Contributing: Leslie Cauley in New York

Find this article at:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2008-06-08-apple-iphone_N.htm

Last 7 movies I saw:

153068, Online Apple Stores are down; you know what that means
Posted by nipsey, Mon Jun-09-08 09:47 AM
They're updating with new product. Will 3G iPhone be available for online purchase today? Or they're just updating it with non iPhone products. We'll find out in a couple of hours.

Last 7 movies I saw:

153071, I recently read a story basically saying the 3g iPhones are ready for sale.
Posted by Triptych, Mon Jun-09-08 10:53 AM
And they've been being distributed for the last few months.

Might get an "in stores now" announcement.

Or, maybe more likely, "online now, in stores next week" type thing.

That's my prediction anyway.

153073, I don't know. I don't think they'll be available now
Posted by nipsey, Mon Jun-09-08 11:04 AM
I'm thinking they'll go on sale later in the month. The updates might be other products. Updates to existing CPU lines maybe. The only shipments to retail stores that blogs have picked up on has been a small box saying not to open until after WWDC. Rumors are they are 3G demo units. We'll see. I'm going to the 5th Ave store in about 40 minutes to see what's up. Hopefully they'll put the keynote up on the theatre screen.

Last 7 movies I saw:

153076, I'm really *most* excited about a new firmware.
Posted by Triptych, Mon Jun-09-08 11:17 AM
And prolly a new version of iTunes.

Downloadable 3rd party apps are gonna change my life.
153079, thats the dealbreak, that and I KNOW MS will dev eventually
Posted by B9, Mon Jun-09-08 11:31 AM
I know that they have to be bringing a Outlook mobile for MS to it, when that happens, I'm surely going to already have one or buy then.
153083, Wouldn't that make it the dealMAKER ?
Posted by Triptych, Mon Jun-09-08 11:36 AM
153097, and there it is:
Posted by B9, Mon Jun-09-08 12:09 PM
"Enterprise, SDK, and new End User features. Enterprise: Microsoft Exchange has push email, push contacts, push calendars, auto discovery of your Exchange servers, global address lookup, and remote wipe. All built into iPhone 2.0. Cisco has built in secure VPN services, and other network security demanded by Enterprise - everything asked for has been built in. "
153081, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to buy them today
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Jun-09-08 11:35 AM

FREE CHAI VANG!

153085, even online? Why do you think that?
Posted by Triptych, Mon Jun-09-08 11:36 AM
153092, just think so
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Jun-09-08 11:49 AM

FREE CHAI VANG!

153080, only 1/2 hour to go
Posted by wordlife, Mon Jun-09-08 11:34 AM
153094, 5 minutes
Posted by B9, Mon Jun-09-08 11:53 AM
153095, Link
Posted by Messiah4976, Mon Jun-09-08 12:04 PM
....iLounge has a good stream going

http://live.ilounge.com

153096, new OSX preview: Snow Leopard (running out of names, ditch the cats)
Posted by B9, Mon Jun-09-08 12:07 PM
153102, Yeah Fuck cats how they don't call it Wolf?
Posted by Kira, Mon Jun-09-08 12:27 PM
153108, GOD DAMN IT STEVE GET TO THE GOOD PART.
Posted by Triptych, Mon Jun-09-08 12:43 PM
NERD RAGE!
153111, ^^^^^^^^^^
Posted by L_O_Quent, Mon Jun-09-08 12:52 PM
153112, Shit is taking forever....
Posted by Messiah4976, Mon Jun-09-08 12:56 PM
153110, I want that Band app
Posted by universally_speaking, Mon Jun-09-08 12:47 PM
153113, It's available in Installer.
Posted by Amon, Mon Jun-09-08 12:58 PM
It's definitely worth checking out.
153117, The update is $9.95 for iPod touch owners
Posted by The_Orange_Ninja_Turtle, Mon Jun-09-08 01:07 PM
not bad.
153118, 2.0 Early July release!?
Posted by Messiah4976, Mon Jun-09-08 01:08 PM
damn he's a tight son of a bitch! RDF is a mutha phucka!
153121, early July...what a tease!
Posted by LeonPause, Mon Jun-09-08 01:16 PM
something told me not to get my hopes up for an actual update today.
153123, wait, so this is only about a software update and not about
Posted by temps2020, Mon Jun-09-08 01:24 PM
a new iphone?

http://www.last.fm/user/temps2020/
153124, patience is a virtue.
Posted by WhiteNotion, Mon Jun-09-08 01:26 PM

http://shaunbockert.muxtape.com
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/whitenotion/
153130, oh no, its about the 3g iphone too...
Posted by LeonPause, Mon Jun-09-08 01:42 PM
but many of us current iPhone owners were expecting the 2.0 software to drop today.
153125, anyone jumping for that mobileme shit?
Posted by kanino, Mon Jun-09-08 01:29 PM
153133, looks good...not sure if I'll jump on it tho...
Posted by LeonPause, Mon Jun-09-08 01:44 PM
just to compare, whats the current price for a .mac account?
153139, 99/year
Posted by kanino, Mon Jun-09-08 01:54 PM
153127, there it is
Posted by B9, Mon Jun-09-08 01:32 PM
153128, about damn time!
Posted by L_O_Quent, Mon Jun-09-08 01:38 PM
153129, it's a dev talk, not supposed to do products at all
Posted by B9, Mon Jun-09-08 01:41 PM
chill
153131, .mac is gone.... nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
Posted by Kira, Mon Jun-09-08 01:42 PM
I need my .mac connectivity!
153135, <--- *goes to ebay to snatch up .mac subscripts on the cheap*
Posted by Steelysteel, Mon Jun-09-08 01:45 PM
Current .mac subscripts get mobileme. Yeah! (c) Juelz

<--- Stressed maybe?

http://www.last.fm/user/steelysteel/
153132, $199!
Posted by L_O_Quent, Mon Jun-09-08 01:44 PM
153134, July 11 :(
Posted by B9, Mon Jun-09-08 01:45 PM
153136, i MIGHT just be able to retire next year!! $199
Posted by Utamaroho, Mon Jun-09-08 01:47 PM
we're gonna take over the world.
153137, live on applestore but no preorders
Posted by B9, Mon Jun-09-08 01:52 PM
153146, no preorders?
Posted by universally_speaking, Mon Jun-09-08 02:06 PM
153138, $299 for the 16GB, I'm there!
Posted by temps2020, Mon Jun-09-08 01:52 PM

153179, yup - I think imma cop the white one.
Posted by Triptych, Mon Jun-09-08 03:51 PM
153200, I'm looking at that white one
Posted by Skyezgrrl, Mon Jun-09-08 06:10 PM
it's going to take a little bit out of my vacation money but damn all that, I'm copping and I own the origianl 8GB... the wife is getting this one :) awe yeah!!

Dee
153140, so what are your thoughts on the GPS?
Posted by temps2020, Mon Jun-09-08 01:55 PM
seems like the Google idea would work, it actuall tracks where you are on the map as you move along. not sure if there will be voice navigation or not.

would 3rd party GPS software be possible?

also, just so i'm clear, you can't use itunes songs you upload or purchase for ringtones, correct. and this is not something that will change with the new iPhone?

153264, RE: so what are your thoughts on the GPS?
Posted by nicknice, Tue Jun-10-08 10:14 AM
you can pay extra to turn your itunes songs into ringtones, but you could also convert to their format and load into itunes...
153538, oh, ok, wasn't aware of that. been holding off on iphone until
Posted by temps2020, Thu Jun-12-08 04:37 PM
3G. that makes me feel better.

153141, Copped ^ 2
Posted by Steelysteel, Mon Jun-09-08 01:57 PM

<--- Stressed maybe?

153142, $199 = im there
Posted by steelreserve40, Mon Jun-09-08 01:57 PM
faster internet? GPS? count me in. so glad i didnt cop the first one.
153147, Yep
Posted by RaFromQueens, Mon Jun-09-08 02:06 PM
so glad i didnt cop the
>first one.
153143, So the size and shape stays the same?
Posted by cipha_2, Mon Jun-09-08 01:57 PM
?
153151, slimmer
Posted by budz4zo, Mon Jun-09-08 02:25 PM
steve said it was thinner
153145, *closes mbp in disgust*
Posted by SpaceBullets, Mon Jun-09-08 01:59 PM
153148, I wish they were on sale now
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Mon Jun-09-08 02:07 PM
I'd get one today.
153149, Cool announcement.
Posted by Mudbone, Mon Jun-09-08 02:18 PM
I don't regret buying my iphone the day it launched here in the U.S. I knew I was paying the "early adopter" tax penalty. Also that is why I got the extended care for an extra year. The iphone 3g will be the shit but I'm waiting for the 3rd generation iphone. That will have video conferencing on the go, 32-64 gb, and hopefully cut and paste ;p.

In all of this, I feel for Palm. The $199 iphone will wreck their entire line even though they've been hanging tough with that $99 smart phone they have out. Folks will have hard time passing up coughing up an extra $100 bucks to get an Iphone instead.

Blackberry, Nokia, Samsung, HTC, and LG might sweat a bit but I think they will all bring it with their new devices. Isn't Motorola getting out of the cell phone business? If they're not , they should consider it.

-~C
153150, i'm calling it right now
Posted by sphinx7, Mon Jun-09-08 02:24 PM
this is not the last iphone this year. i bet apple will drop a pro version with better camera/front camera/bigger memory etc. before the holidays.
153153, dopeness
Posted by wordlife, Mon Jun-09-08 02:27 PM
altho i'm still suprised @ no mms, no video record, and no cut-n-paste. hmmmmmmmmmmm...
153154, $199 takes the edge off a lot of my hate
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Jun-09-08 02:34 PM

FREE CHAI VANG!

153158, tuff to hate @ that price
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Mon Jun-09-08 02:36 PM
153178, THAT shit got Nokia and HTC shook right now I'm guessing.
Posted by Triptych, Mon Jun-09-08 03:50 PM
Pretty fucking hard to compete with that.
153181, there's still shit its missing (mms?) but at $199, it does a fucking lot
Posted by Rjcc, Mon Jun-09-08 03:58 PM
at the old price, it was easy to be like FOH

be prepared for some fuckery by AT&T tho

FREE CHAI VANG!

153190, Oh I'm already locked in so I don't give a fuck.
Posted by Triptych, Mon Jun-09-08 05:02 PM
But you'll certainly have to sign a two-year.
153203, RE: there's still shit its missing (mms?) but at $199, it does a fucking lot
Posted by Steelysteel, Mon Jun-09-08 06:47 PM
>be prepared for some fuckery by AT&T tho

True indeed. I'm afraid to see what the plans will be like now.

<--- Stressed maybe?

153156, so when is the ipod touch price gonna drop?
Posted by sevencents, Mon Jun-09-08 02:35 PM
I was looking to get a touch after the WWDC...but now its waaay cheaper to just buy an iphone and use it as an ipod.

no plans to drop the price of the touch?
or will it take a lil extra patience?

7c
153180, i'm guessing we're going to see price drops
Posted by WhiteNotion, Mon Jun-09-08 03:56 PM
for the next few tuesdays.

http://shaunbockert.muxtape.com
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/whitenotion/
153159, i'm having 2nd thoughts on the Bold...
Posted by FortifiedLive, Mon Jun-09-08 02:40 PM
i still despise the iPhone keyboard though.
153166, RE: 3G iPhone WDC announce post
Posted by Tiggerific, Mon Jun-09-08 02:56 PM
My local iStore guy told me July 11th.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"

-Martin Luther King Jr.
153167, the date was announced during the conference
Posted by universally_speaking, Mon Jun-09-08 02:59 PM
153175, RE: the date was announced during the conference
Posted by Tiggerific, Mon Jun-09-08 03:33 PM
I figured but I didn't watch it. I'm actually working at work today.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"

-Martin Luther King Jr.
153183, ...for that, I might have to dump my HTC Tilt, folks.
Posted by Mongo, Mon Jun-09-08 04:04 PM
Push email, contacts, calendars through my .Mac account?

Ability to work on Office docs (or at least iWork).

8 GB...
153214, mm they said you can read the docs but not work on them.
Posted by kanino, Mon Jun-09-08 07:50 PM
11:04AM PT -

"Isn't that fantastic? This is going to be great. In addition... we've got a few new features. The first one: contact search. Type in a few chars, instantly find who you're looking for. Second? Full iWork document support -- Pages, Numbers, and of course, Keynote. Great way to look at your iWork docs on the go. And we've completed MS Office support: Word, Excel, and now PowerPoint, too."
153255, Really?
Posted by emeyesi, Tue Jun-10-08 08:57 AM
I'll keep my Tilt thank you.

153185, A decent incremental update. meh
Posted by Nopayne, Mon Jun-09-08 04:07 PM
Aye jetblack, what happened to all that stuff you were predicting? lolz.

-------------------------------------
get that picture out of your sig
153192, Price drop and SDK are both pretty major.
Posted by Triptych, Mon Jun-09-08 05:03 PM
153193, meh in the sense that there isn't much to hate on
Posted by Nopayne, Mon Jun-09-08 05:16 PM
That's about as close to a Nopayne endorsement that you'll get.

153204, Woooooow! (c) Mos Def
Posted by Steelysteel, Mon Jun-09-08 06:49 PM

<--- Stressed maybe?

153196, fuck, i wanted it like TODAY.
Posted by Steve O Tron v2, Mon Jun-09-08 05:29 PM
oh well. it'll be coming when i get my stimulus check, which makes it even better.
153198, I'm bout to tile my bathroom with those bitches. $199? FOH.
Posted by Triptych, Mon Jun-09-08 05:38 PM
153205, thank Dubya for that one, lol
Posted by temps2020, Mon Jun-09-08 06:55 PM

153202, :)
Posted by jetblack, Mon Jun-09-08 06:41 PM
RDF.

Respect it.
153207, aye jetblack, remember this?
Posted by Nopayne, Mon Jun-09-08 07:14 PM
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=145866&mesg_id=145866&page=2#146249

153213, yeah... i was mostly wrong.
Posted by jetblack, Mon Jun-09-08 07:39 PM
:)

200 bucks for an iPwne.

can you hate on that?

pretty difficult for ya huh?

153209, so, if i got one the OG already, and i get the new one....
Posted by Commie, Mon Jun-09-08 07:20 PM
will i be able to switch over without having to extend my contract?
and will the price be 199 straight up, or is that just the price that is subsidized by AT&T?
also, can the old one be given away/sold without reneging on the contract?

questions questions questions.

153247, i believe....
Posted by budz4zo, Tue Jun-10-08 08:11 AM
>will i be able to switch over without having to extend my
>contract?
>and will the price be 199 straight up, or is that just the
>price that is subsidized by AT&T?
>also, can the old one be given away/sold without reneging on
>the contract?

that if you buy a new one, it will extend your contract 2 years from that date.
the old one, you can do whatever you want with.
question i have is, if/when you sell your old one; will the next person have to sign a 2 year?
i could be wrong, but i think the above is correct.
153216, question about traveling w/ iphone
Posted by dsgdgd5y5, Mon Jun-09-08 08:31 PM
since it uses a sim card, if youre going to be living in another country for a few months, can you just buy a sim card from a local service and use the phone just for its basic features?

if not, is there a way to travel with an american phone without paying ridic fees?
153232, yeah get the sim and your good
Posted by L_O_Quent, Tue Jun-10-08 01:01 AM
153240, RE: yeah get the sim and your good
Posted by dsgdgd5y5, Tue Jun-10-08 06:50 AM
you in sweden right?

what do sim cards run over there and monthly service?
153218, Might be time for me to cop
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Jun-09-08 09:14 PM
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Jun-09-08 09:38 PM

Its mine

----------------------------

O_E: Your Super-Ego's Favorite Poster.

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "Cosmic Slop"
153221, and y'all thought RDF....
Posted by Messiah4976, Mon Jun-09-08 09:47 PM
....was some jive.......RDF is alive a kickin'.......i can't wait to get my hands on this........i'm just wonderin' who will buy my 8GB iPhone now....lol
153223, that ain't rdf. that's LAP.
Posted by PlanetInfinite, Mon Jun-09-08 10:09 PM
low ass price.

i'm on it like a mugg.

------------------------------------------
http://irreverentbastard.wordpress.com
153228, ebay is gonna get flooded with last gen iPhones.
Posted by jetblack, Mon Jun-09-08 11:37 PM
153226, 16gig for 299? consider it COPPED
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Mon Jun-09-08 10:50 PM

<------ Boho Model Madness Continues: Man Fuck Yall, chocolate again.

http://www.rareformnyc.com
http://www.myspace.com/shinobishaw
http://www.myspace.com/djshinobishaw
http://www.last.fm/user/ShinoShaw
153233, Underwhelming conference IMO
Posted by HighVoltage, Tue Jun-10-08 01:07 AM
mainly because very little that was announced was new.

we knew the price.

we knew the features.

we DID find out the release date at least.

dont get me wrong, the phone is now worthwhile purchasing, but I still feel this is how it should have launched to begin with.... all they added was GPS and 3G- a standard feature in many phones for close to 2 years now.

i was just hoping for some more features to be announced.

i mean, yeah the new apps are cool, but this isnt really a big step forward for anyone who has already jailbroken their iphone currently.

like i said, its a great phone and worthwhile purchase now, especially at that price... but as far as what was unveiled TODAY, i was very underwhelmed.

im most curious to see if Apple will consider using Android in their later models of the phone since ATT has already announced they are on board with the OS. The 3G iPhone will be the best phone on the market once it comes out, but I think a slick smartphone running on Android will make a worthy alternative down the line.
153236, This news wasn't for the tech nerd, it was for the regular cat.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Jun-10-08 04:12 AM

And regular cats like me are hyped.

I know you want to be able to video conference
in 3,000 languages and speak to martians in computer code
on your iphone, but irrelevant ass features like that aren't
going to sell iphones.

Making the original, already good iphone cheaper, smoother
and much faster, is going to sell you iphones

Always odd how people fail to see this.

This announcement was huge, even if you didn't
get your sonic star trek beaming to other planets
features

153242, you;'re both fucking stupid
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Jun-10-08 07:24 AM

FREE CHAI VANG!

153237, you should know by now thats how apple does
Posted by soulmatic, Tue Jun-10-08 04:32 AM
put something new out at a high price point, for gadget geeks and yuppies to cop, then a year later put out the same shit w/ the features that REAL everyday users who are now feen'in for that shit, because all the cool kids have em want at a more reasonable price.

-------------------------------
sig:
download my mixes. free.
UPDATED 5/7/'08

NEW MIX>>>>>http://www.zshare.net/audio/11706287b473b38d/

club mix:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/5769152521dcc0/

chillout rnb/hiphop mix:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/5675272b9
153238, That's called being smart.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Jun-10-08 06:08 AM
>put something new out at a high price point, for gadget geeks
>and yuppies to cop, then a year later put out the same shit w/
>the features that REAL everyday users who are now feen'in for
>that shit, because all the cool kids have em want at a more
>reasonable price.

Or maybe its for all the smart kids who aren't going to
pay 600 dollars for a fucking phone just to have the
shit when it drops.

These cats wait a year, and get a BETTER, less buggy,
smoother, faster phone, for 1/3 of the price.

Meanwhile, all the nerds who bought it at first are
mad and frustrated because they have an inferior
piece of technology that they paid 600 dollars for.

And it still hasn't gotten them any pussy.

153258, ^^^ has fewer hoes than me.
Posted by Triptych, Tue Jun-10-08 09:51 AM
And most of the early adopters I know are just gonna buy the new one too.

It's called expendable income for a reason.

Funny how that still kills y'all.

Bottom line tho, I don't go ANYWHERE without my phone, I use it all the time, every single day. Frankly, a great one is worth $600 a year.
153287, a)No, I don't. b) I'm not knocking you for copping
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Jun-10-08 12:14 PM
I'm saying don't bitch when Apple drops
the mediocre update and whine about lack
of features

The update wasn't for y'all

it was for niggas who didn't feel like
dropping 6 last year

For whatever reason

Personally I'd rather buy a round
trip ticket to somewhere illmatic(this
time last year, I was backbacking
through Europe on some fly shit)

If you want to drop 6 on a phone,
do you

But don't feel upset because Apple
is tryna include people who aren't
experimental with gadgets

I'm not experimental like that

mostly because a phone is too important
to find out down the line its some
bullshit

that was quite possible with the iphone

just like it is the case with the macbook air

Turns out the iphone was dope

I was prolly gonna cop neway

now that its 2 3 bills, its automatic

153383, Yay bitch I went to Europe last year too.
Posted by Triptych, Wed Jun-11-08 09:35 AM
But keep jacking yourself for not buying something. Congrats.

Only broke niggas wait till the price go down (c) Dilla.

153568, Whatever makes you feel better, kiddo.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Thu Jun-12-08 08:14 PM

If you need to think that every nigga who don't
buy shit when it drops is broke to have self
esteem, do you.

Meanwhile caked up niggas like me who don't
need gadgets on day one will stay caked up
and giggling.
153618, funny thing is, nobody who bought the 1st gen phone is upset.
Posted by Triptych, Fri Jun-13-08 09:39 AM
NOBODY.

But y'all PRETEND we're upset so you can feel better about not buying one?

This is the comedy of which I speak.
153777, Wow. This in genuinely getting under people's skin. Lol
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sat Jun-14-08 09:14 PM
>NOBODY.
>
>But y'all PRETEND we're upset so you can feel better about not
>buying one?

Nah, I can tell anger when I see it.

You don't see me taking personal shots tryna
speculate on niggas disposable incomes.

That's all first year buyers say when they
they find out that some people don't like
to cop on day one.

I mean, do you.

Just know how furious you sound when you start
crying talking about:

"Well, you guys are all broke!!!"

Haha

Funny

All I said was that this upgrade was perfectly
appropriate, but was not aimed at the technophiles,
but instead at people who were intrigued at the
technology but ain't tryna drop 6 bills on it
just because

Its really quite fair and accurate and
explains exactly why Apple made this
upgrade

153234, methinks Snow Leopard will lead to either
Posted by L_O_Quent, Tue Jun-10-08 01:28 AM
a tablet or low cost mac "netbook"

if they're stripping Leopard down this could be the case though there is very little info about it thus far.
153239, Yall early adopters is stuck like a mug...sol
Posted by FLUIDJ, Tue Jun-10-08 06:42 AM
1: Paid an extremely inflated price
2. Locked into a 2 year contract before you can get another subsidized phone.
3.Stuck with a piece of outdated equipment for another year.
153250, wrong! (c) charlie murphy
Posted by budz4zo, Tue Jun-10-08 08:21 AM
>1: Paid an extremely inflated price
>2. Locked into a 2 year contract before you can get another subsidized phone.
>3.Stuck with a piece of outdated equipment for another year.

bottom line: i dont give a fuck and ima cop regardless
153257, Nah, pretty sure we'll get the subsidized price.
Posted by Triptych, Tue Jun-10-08 09:48 AM
Prolly just have to resign a two year commitment.
153277, RE: Nah, pretty sure we'll get the subsidized price.
Posted by budz4zo, Tue Jun-10-08 11:32 AM
>Prolly just have to resign a two year commitment.

yea, thats what i've had to do in the past.
so it will just be another 2 years from July 11th.
153284, eh, they WANT these guys to upgrade though
Posted by Nopayne, Tue Jun-10-08 12:10 PM
I'm sure they'd be happy to sell them a contract extension.

153248, AT&T 3G Rate plan increases to $30 unlimited data
Posted by B9, Tue Jun-10-08 08:17 AM
and no more revenue sharing with Apple on the subscriptions. So $10 increase and a $200 price drop on a two year contract: net benefit is zero.
153261, dollar wise even, but 3G ain't too bad i guess.
Posted by James Peach, Tue Jun-10-08 10:00 AM
153269, RE: AT&T 3G Rate plan increases to $30 unlimited data
Posted by tomtomorrow, Tue Jun-10-08 10:34 AM
One more thing - the 199 price is the 'subsidized' price. If you're a pre-existing ATT customer and ineligible for an upgrade (either b/c you haven't been a customer for a long enough period of time, you have credit issues, or you don't pay on time), then you will have to pay a different price that hasn't been announced yet.
153272, that's what i was wondering, but that's some bullshit if you
Posted by temps2020, Tue Jun-10-08 11:04 AM
announce the cheap ass price available at iStores and then you gotta be eligible for the upgrade.

i just upgraded my phone cuz my other one died. i didn't get an iPhone cuz i was waiting for the 3G version. if they don't let me upgrade and get the cheap price imma be pissed and raise hell to get the subsidized price and extend my contract again.

we'll see what they do about the non-subsidized price cuz they just made it seem like the price was slashed regardless.

153279, WTF... uh... this is horrible
Posted by universally_speaking, Tue Jun-10-08 11:37 AM
i'm still gonna get this... it cant be that much more expensive
153299, UPDATE: existing customers still get the low price
Posted by universally_speaking, Tue Jun-10-08 02:13 PM
http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=240

"As for contract requirements, according to an AT&T spokesperson, current AT&T customers will be treated like new AT&T customers when it comes to the iPhone 3G. All will receive the same $199/$299 pricing - the only difference is that existing customers will reset their contract period to two years. That’s a surprisingly decent move on their part, since it means that many folks — myself included — will be able to receive two carrier-subsidized handsets within a one-year period."
153333, *robot resumes*
Posted by B9, Tue Jun-10-08 07:13 PM
153420, RE: UPDATE: existing customers still get the low price
Posted by tomtomorrow, Wed Jun-11-08 02:44 PM
Are they referring to existing AT&T customers who already own an Iphone, or all existing customers? I ask because engadget had a post claiming this:

Unofficially, we've been slipped information that AT&T's typical upgrade eligibility rules apply when signing the new contract, and there will be a separate (read: higher) pricing scheme for "non-qualified upgrades." These prices have not yet been set.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/06/10/the-iphone-3g-on-atandt-we-ask-the-burning-questions/

This seems to be consistent with statements from both companies confirming that the Iphone will now be treated as a regular phone by AT&T (i.e., it's subsidized), and AT&T applies its upgrade rules to all other smartphones.

As far as the plan goes, I don't mind the data plan price. I just wish that you could have a less expensive voice/text plan to avoid a monthly cost of $80 (before taxes and other surcharges).

EDIT: This is why I should never post from work. Pretend the first two paragraphs never happened.

153438, well, from what i took from that article
Posted by universally_speaking, Wed Jun-11-08 05:21 PM
...which was written by the director of CNET Networks Business' technology sites who spoke with a ATT rep. He said that he had recently gotten a subsidized phone from ATT (I'm in the same situation) and asked whether the it makes a difference. The rep told him it wouldnt.

Steve Jobs said that the iPhone will only have two price models, the minimum being $199. On the other hand, ATT's website currently has an astric next to its listed price. The footnote starts off with the words "Qualified customers only." Which can be taken in any way, really.

I've read both sides, that an unofficial ATT memo was leaked saying that people like me wont qualify. But then theres alot of bloggers that have spoken to reps that say its one price for all (as long as u renew ur contract).

We'll have to wait and see.
153288, Same price as a lot of other data though
Posted by Orbit_Established, Tue Jun-10-08 12:19 PM

I think tmobile windows mobile data
costs that

I paid that when I had the wing for a
cool minute

153270, so we're stuck with viewmymessage.com forever???
Posted by LeonPause, Tue Jun-10-08 10:38 AM
please no!
they didn't touch on the mms situation at all yesterday.
think they'll address this by the 11th?
153273, won't matter cuz everybody's gonna buy the jesusPhone!
Posted by Triptych, Tue Jun-10-08 11:09 AM
153278, seriously
Posted by budz4zo, Tue Jun-10-08 11:34 AM
they don't even bother addressing it?
i can live without but this has been one of the top requested features.
153291, nope...not even a mention in the 2.0 upgrade
Posted by LeonPause, Tue Jun-10-08 12:44 PM
153285, Steve knows what you want even more than you do.
Posted by Nopayne, Tue Jun-10-08 12:12 PM
just stfu and accept it.

153300, lol. that shit is terrible
Posted by smutsboy, Tue Jun-10-08 02:14 PM
>so we're stuck with viewmymessage.com forever???

that and no copy & paste are my biggest/only gripes about my iphone.
153334, It's interesting when people really want features
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Tue Jun-10-08 07:23 PM
that you could care less about.

MMS always seemed like email for poor people to me.

*shrug*

\m/(>_<)\m/

with a little bit of

http://finfacts.ie/artman/uploads/1/goldApr082008.jpg

and a

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h24/scostc/peja.jpg
153317, god damned @ loopt
Posted by eclipsedInI, Tue Jun-10-08 04:07 PM
i mean just the integration of the apps

i'm only a lil' in but yeah...

PS the lil' movie they showed of the fortune 500 & sdk...spooky!
153356, DOES IT HAVE COPY AND PASTE AND MMS?
Posted by _MauriceMichaels_, Tue Jun-10-08 11:17 PM
?
153357, yeah, totally confirmed.
Posted by Rjcc, Tue Jun-10-08 11:23 PM

FREE CHAI VANG!

153397, Where can I find that info
Posted by _MauriceMichaels_, Wed Jun-11-08 12:08 PM
>
>FREE CHAI VANG!
>
>YOU'VE READ MY FILE NIGGA (c) Jack 'Mufuckin' Bauer
>
>
>
>www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
153416, he's joking...
Posted by universally_speaking, Wed Jun-11-08 02:11 PM
its one of this things that people really wanted but so far, it doesnt look like its gonna go down.

153441, you could read the fucking thread. or at least the subjects
Posted by Rjcc, Wed Jun-11-08 06:26 PM

FREE CHAI VANG!

153455, niether were mentioned...
Posted by Messiah4976, Wed Jun-11-08 09:35 PM
....but there is speculation that at copy and paste will be offered by some third party developer later down the road
153487, already is
Posted by budz4zo, Thu Jun-12-08 07:44 AM
>....but there is speculation that at copy and paste will be
>offered by some third party developer later down the road
153365, $199? fuck it im there
Posted by crow, Wed Jun-11-08 01:44 AM
I guess I'll get used to the keyboard
153454, i'm more hype for mobileme
Posted by Kellsworth, Wed Jun-11-08 09:34 PM
I got 2 macs and an iphone, and i've tried every solution to get them to all sync together. And i've never gotten my pictures to sync. I already have a .mac account solely to sync my 2 macs, but this will make everything so much easier.

I'm i'm still hype for the 3g iphone, i just gotta make sure 3g is available in my suburb of philly.
153509, the iphone is going to be the new Razor
Posted by _MauriceMichaels_, Thu Jun-12-08 12:59 PM
Outside of being cool, this phone has way less features then most smartphones. Why else to buy it?
153530, because Windows Mobile is ass
Posted by Rex, Thu Jun-12-08 03:37 PM
and i'm a Windows Mobile user.

i have a Sprint Touch that i absolutely loved at first, but as time went on, my phone became prone to certain bugs and issues that remind me that this is just Windows on a phone.

sure it has features that can put it on par or even better than the iphone 3G, but when it's tied into an OS that's pretty shitty, the benefit isn't so apparent.

i'm hoping that when Android is officially out, it'll make my troubles disappear. i'm seriously tempted for that iphone 3G, but i don't want to leave my Sprint plan since it's cheaper and better than what AT&T will charge when the new iphone drops...

155703, +1 on Android.
Posted by no.doze, Wed Jul-02-08 11:50 AM
I love my iTouch, but I'm really curious what Google has up their sleeve with their OS. I have a feeling it won't have the same feel the iPhone OS does, but knowing Google, they'll give a much better effort than most other Apple competitors have (i.e. Samsung). Besides, I'm pretty much stuck with Sprint here. They're the only ones that have reliable mobile web in my area, not to mention AT&T is terrible out here.
153571, I wish ATT would officially start confirming shit already...
Posted by universally_speaking, Thu Jun-12-08 08:34 PM
anyone else hear about a separate charge for text msgs. starting at 200 txt msgs for $5. on top of the $30 data plan.

PLUS i keep hearing about a separate charge for GPS (9.99 monthly charge).

Also, they need to clear up the whole issue with existing ATT customers (who are not currently iPhone Gen1 owners, and who are not up for an upgrade).
153598, 1000$ a year is how much Iphone gone cost you
Posted by _MauriceMichaels_, Thu Jun-12-08 11:36 PM
>anyone else hear about a separate charge for text msgs.
>starting at 200 txt msgs for $5. on top of the $30 data plan.
>
>PLUS i keep hearing about a separate charge for GPS (9.99
>monthly charge).
>
>Also, they need to clear up the whole issue with existing ATT
>customers (who are not currently iPhone Gen1 owners, and who
>are not up for an upgrade).

mobile me is like 99$ a month
153581, all they got is a hot browser and storage. blackberry still better
Posted by s_dot_miles, Thu Jun-12-08 09:10 PM
and the touchscreen thunder or bold will shit on the 3g ipod if it comes in at a decent price point.
153634, whatever works for you man.
Posted by jetblack, Fri Jun-13-08 12:20 PM
153711, *laughs at all first year buyers*
Posted by dunk, Sat Jun-14-08 02:02 AM
153755, laughs back...
Posted by biscuit, Sat Jun-14-08 05:17 PM
http://cultofmac.com/tutorial-how-to-sell-your-iphone-online/2041#more-2041
153876, eh. not nearly the mistake it usually is.
Posted by smutsboy, Mon Jun-16-08 09:57 AM
$200 and faster internet = not the worst burn in the world.
153937, except we had a great phone for a year, and we all knew this would happen.
Posted by Triptych, Mon Jun-16-08 03:45 PM
153812, still no copy and paste?
Posted by D_Tox151, Sun Jun-15-08 01:11 PM
why is this so difficult to fix
153875, and no MMS
Posted by smutsboy, Mon Jun-16-08 09:53 AM
c'mon Steve
154083, who gives a fuck. i got the Treo 755p for $89 on sprint and i pay
Posted by southphillyman, Tue Jun-17-08 08:36 PM
$60 a month for my minutes AND unlimited internet and data AND 1000 text messages
iphone can suck a dick
154188, but your treo has a clunky as interface, an outdated OS
Posted by espresso0, Wed Jun-18-08 10:12 PM
and as of July 11th, not as many enterprising/application features.

Not dissing your hustle, just saying.
154175, :)
Posted by Steve Jobs, Wed Jun-18-08 04:32 PM

http://www.apple.com

think different.

recycle your e-waste, please.

154312, you finally broke me Steve, this will be my first apple purchase
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Fri Jun-20-08 08:41 AM
now if you can lower the price on that Mac Book Pro we might have something.

154488, :)
Posted by Steve Jobs, Sat Jun-21-08 07:50 PM
>now if you can lower the price on that Mac Book Pro we might
>have something.
>

The MacBook Pro is a prosumer machine, I have margins to think about.

I'll bump the specs on the MacBook for ya.

http://www.apple.com

think different.

recycle your e-waste, please.

155555, AT&T releases iPhone 3G pricing details
Posted by universally_speaking, Tue Jul-01-08 09:38 AM
By Dawn Kawamoto, CNET

AT&T announced pricing for the iPhone 3G on Tuesday, noting the popular smart phones will range from $199 for 8GB to $299 for 16GB to eligible customers.

AT&T will begin offering the iPhone 3G phones at its retail stores beginning July 11 at 8 a.m. local time. AT&T is the exclusive iPhone carrier in the United States.

Under its offering, the lower price will be available to only customers who purchased an iPhone before July 11, or are activating a new customer line with AT&T, or are eligible for an upgrade at the time of purchase. Customers also are required to sign a two-year contract.

AT&T customers who are not eligible for an upgrade discount can buy the iPhone 3G for $399 for 8GB model, or $499 for a 16GB version, under a two-year contract. Customers who purchase the phone without a contract would pay $599 for 8GB or $699 for a 16GB.

The phones will come with the iPhone 2.0 software preloaded on the devices, which includes such enhancements as business-class e-mail through Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and the iPhone Software Development Kit for creating customized applications. AT&T will also offer its Yellowpages.com Mobile for iPhone on the devices.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cnet/20080701/tc_cnet/830110784399816767;_ylt=AmbQiUeV0C9pR280jgVKBisjtBAF
155561, damn, I have to check and see if I'm elig for a new phone
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Tue Jul-01-08 10:13 AM
My contract runs out in feb of 09. I'm well into my 2nd year.

155566, i was waiting for this announcement...
Posted by universally_speaking, Tue Jul-01-08 11:06 AM
i upgraded last year, so i gotta wait til next august to upgrade again.

i might just wait til Dec and spend an extra $200 to get it before i can upgrade.
155573, i have not brought a new phone for this account in a long time
Posted by ShinobiShaw, Tue Jul-01-08 12:04 PM

155580, guided tour
Posted by rather unique, Tue Jul-01-08 12:38 PM
http://www.apple.com/iphone/guidedtour/tour/large.html
155586, 30 mins long
Posted by universally_speaking, Tue Jul-01-08 01:28 PM
most of the content is the same as the previous guided tours, also.
156039, Anyone considering selling there old iPhone?
Posted by carlos, Sat Jul-05-08 10:56 PM
no 3G in my area, and i cant upgrade til next summer.

so i'm up for buying a used one to hold me thru til next yr.