Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectDamn EA. Locks up NFL license till 2013
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=138305
138305, Damn EA. Locks up NFL license till 2013
Posted by Lach, Tue Feb-12-08 12:48 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6185880.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

Just over three years ago, Electronic Arts tackled the sports genre by announcing it had signed a multiyear exclusivity deal with the National Football League and the NFL Players, the players' union. Under the agreement, EA Sports' Madden NFL franchise was the sole official licensee for the US' most popular sport, forcing rival 2K Sports to get creative with its own pro-football series.

Today, EA Sports announced that it has extended its contract with the NFL and NFL Players through the 2012 season. That means the Redwood City, California-based publisher will retain exclusive game rights to all NFL teams, stadiums, and player likenesses and information through until the Super Bowl XLVII champion is crowned in 2013.

Though Madden NFL is its most famous franchise, EA Sports also publishes a variety of other NFL games, including NFL Street and NFL Tour. However, part of the renewal agreement is to "look at different ways to bring more consumers in," according to EA Sports president Peter Moore.

One way Moore is hoping to lure more Americans into the Madden fold is through the incorporation of content from the NFL Films production company and the NFL Network cable channel into the "Madden game experience." Other new EA Sports initiatives include a continuation of the "family play" option for Wii games, expanded investment in the wildly popular fantasy football phenomenon, and undefined initiatives to court football fans during the spring and summer months.

"Both EA Sports and the NFL agree that we need to look at different ways to bring more consumers in," Moore told GameSpot. "Traditionally, when the Super Bowl's over, our football business is over, and there's research that shows there are millions of people out there that can't get enough football 12 months a year."

EA Sports' newest attempt to court those football fans, NFL Tour, wasn't treated kindly by critics, but is "doing OK" at retail, according to Moore. However, the former Xbox 360 marketing chief isn't satisfied with just pumping out more NFL Tour or NFL Street. "I think we need to be more innovative," he said. "For years, we've done Street versions of games, and I think it's time we looked at online models and perhaps doing something that's truly contra-seasonal."

According to Moore, one promising possibility for expanding EA Sports' NFL portfolio is to resurrect the NFL Head Coach series, which debuted in 2006 but has laid fallow ever since. "Things like Head Coach...well, for me, I love the X's and O's," he said. "It's something that I would love to do if I wasn't in this business. When we look at the success of the Football Manager titles in Europe, there's no reason we can't do the same thing here. We've kind of tiptoed into it so far, but I think you'll see continued investment in things like Head Coach."

But although he was quite loquacious about the renewal of the NFL deal, Moore was downright reticent about EA Sports' plans for its other exclusive US football agreements with the NCAA and the Arena Football League. "We'll get to those when we get to those," he said.

138308, FUCK
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Tue Feb-12-08 12:56 PM
138309, can't wait for NFL 2k14
Posted by bruceLeroy, Tue Feb-12-08 12:57 PM
fuck ea for this bullshit... madden aint been good since 05
138310, EA is going to make their own console.
Posted by LeroyBumpkin, Tue Feb-12-08 12:59 PM
watch.
138314, yup...it contains NFL/NBA/NHL has gigabit ethernet/wifi
Posted by jetblack, Tue Feb-12-08 01:13 PM
20 GB HDD with one controller, extras $199 with Rumble and ScentTech(c)
only updates rosters and slight updates of graphics....everything else EXACTLY THE SAME!
Only $799
138332, lol
Posted by southphillyman, Tue Feb-12-08 02:29 PM
138311, E sux my left nut
Posted by kanino, Tue Feb-12-08 01:02 PM
A got my right one
138312, EA is legendary with theirs.......shat. /nm/
Posted by jetblack, Tue Feb-12-08 01:10 PM
138315, wonder how much $ they paid
Posted by Boogiedwn, Tue Feb-12-08 01:18 PM

http://www.last.fm/user/Boogiedwn/

my latest pics: http://tinyurl.com/2cdzsc

Allpeers id: boogiedwn

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/docish46/bugginout.jpg
138317, Where are Anti-Trust laws when u need them?
Posted by Imokuede, Tue Feb-12-08 01:29 PM

R.I.P. - The Curse

Let's hug it out bitch
www.lhiob.com

1918-2004

<-----Then you can't tell me nothing right!
138320, can they by the 2k football team? please?
Posted by L_O_Quent, Tue Feb-12-08 01:43 PM
can we sign some type of petition or something?

shit they have money why not just like 2k do the development.

fuck
138351, word
Posted by Lach, Tue Feb-12-08 03:09 PM
Can the whole Madden/Live teams buy 2K and them do their thing.
138334, HA HA! Š Nelson
Posted by ZooTown74, Tue Feb-12-08 02:31 PM

is all you need to know. Bitches.
138352, Bring in more Americans?
Posted by Improv, Tue Feb-12-08 03:25 PM
What da fuck?
94 mil watched the Super Bowl

How about this EA, fix your fucking problems first then think about pulling more people in. EA and NFL are losing their fucking way.

Be fearless...

April 29th Brought Power, GTA4, and "Rising Down" To The People

Cuz I'm getting it...get get getting it
138353, FUCK
Posted by RobOne4, Tue Feb-12-08 03:26 PM
138375, Coņo!!
Posted by TheMindFrame, Tue Feb-12-08 04:37 PM
138612, The Doc's sentiment exactly.
Posted by Dr Claw, Wed Feb-13-08 12:44 PM
138376, ghey
Posted by strictlydank, Tue Feb-12-08 04:38 PM
they got no reason to even try anymore.
138406, I made a post a while ago
Posted by ne_atl, Tue Feb-12-08 06:30 PM
that when Peter Moore went to EA, you could bank on this license getting renewed.

Fuck EA
138458, best thing about selling to crackheads
Posted by will_5198, Tue Feb-12-08 10:15 PM
is that they're crackheads. you gonna make *more* money when your shit is weak, because they gonna buy it no matter what.
138460, RE: best thing about selling to crackheads
Posted by gumz, Tue Feb-12-08 10:27 PM
yeah but atleast Stringer knew to change the name of the product
138492, aka an inelastic demand curve
Posted by LA2Philly, Wed Feb-13-08 12:01 AM
138513, like gas
Posted by Lach, Wed Feb-13-08 12:43 AM
138574, here's a fucking idea
Posted by smutsboy, Wed Feb-13-08 10:44 AM
stop being so lazy with the game development and programming, assholes.

Make Madden some next level shit. It's been the same game for 10 years.

>"Both EA Sports and the NFL agree that we need to look at
>different ways to bring more consumers in,"
138924, oh that's that bullshyt
Posted by Grand_Royal, Thu Feb-14-08 05:58 PM
139133, This sucks
Posted by nexboogie, Fri Feb-15-08 05:07 PM
I was playing Madden just the other day, wildcard playoff game, it was tied 5 seconds to go made a perfect pass to Plaxico on an out route with 2 seconds left, was pushed out of bounds and the effin clock kept ticking like I was tackled inbounds. Bah!

Sega or someone needs to step up make a top-notch glitch-free(as much as possible I know glitch-free is impossible) football game with only numbers etc. And then covertly release updates through fansites that will upgrade your no-frills game to the players likeness, stats, names, team colors, uniforms, playbooks, etc.

I was just thinking about this the other day too, that the contract was close to expiring and maybe the NFL got some sense and would let others in on the party again. Then this news comes out.

139262, Just as long as they don't snag the NBA
Posted by no.doze, Sat Feb-16-08 12:40 PM
Unlike Live, I actually don't mind Madden.