Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectyea i feel that, i installed it on the server and old laptop in order
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=301547&mesg_id=301650
301650, yea i feel that, i installed it on the server and old laptop in order
Posted by wrecknoble, Wed Jan-18-17 03:57 PM
to breathe some new life into the machines - both were running pretty slow.

the media server had some errors popping up constantly (i bought it used off a friend who built it in a hurry), so installed Ubuntu just made them go away. that PC just sits in a compartment in my basement wall where the fuse boxes are and runs Plex and TeamViewer so I can remotely access it.

it was my first time installing Ubuntu and it was relatively simple to install. I had my 2007 Sony Vaio lying around collecting dust - it had battery and fan issues, so i opened that bitch up and cleaned out all the dust, installed a fresh battery (which had been sitting unopened in it's wrapping since about 2010), and installed Ubuntu. Now that machine is basically a netbook for me - I take it when I'm on vacation to places where I want to get work done but don't feel like taking my main computer (less theft risk).

But yea, I don't think I'd ever use Ubuntu as a main OS.

Meanwhile my 2011 laptop, upgraded to Windows 10 when it first came out, and it runs hella smooth. The only thing I need to do is replace the HDD with an SSD and it'll have an even longer lifespan.

all of this reminds me that people who constantly need to replace their electronics due to fixable issues are either imbeciles or are averse to saving money