Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2699809

Subject: "Mejor tarde que nunca: Poste de Copa América 2019 " Previous topic | Next topic
ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Wed Jun-19-19 08:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Mejor tarde que nunca: Poste de Copa América 2019 "

Anybody else watching?

Young from Venezuela is holding it down in goal. Dude plays for Milionarios in the Colombian league. He was on fire against Peru and also solid against Brasil. Venezuela came away with a 0-0 draw and VAR did more in two minutes for Venezuela than Guaido has so far by nullifying a late goal from Brasil after a painfully conservative sequence from the vino tinto. Venezuela has a great shot to advance now. If they take care of business against Bolivia, all they need is a winner in the Brasil-Peru game (that winner and Venezuela will advance). Brasil has the most talent in that group but we'll see what they do with it; I didn't think they looked solid in the lead-up games I saw.

Uruguay looks pretty sharp and should advance without issue. I think they have a pretty solid shot to win the tournament.

Colombia is already into that second round after a resilient performance against Argentina and a late goal that got them past a cantankerous Qatar squad today. James is looking magnificent, playing a creative game that included a brilliant 70-meter, cross-field setup in the first game and a nice pass in tight today for the winner. He's dribbling with flair, too, and looks as good as he has since 2014. The back end looks solid for Colombia and guys like Martinez and Zapata have played with some jump. Argentina might not get out of the group stage, they dropped the first game 2-0 and are down 1-0 to Paraguay right now. Their defense is trash. Messi should consider obtaining dual citizenship IJS.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
why does the coach hate Dybala?
Jun 19th 2019
Having weak chemistry with Messi seems like a good way to get benched
Jun 19th 2019
Messi could have played for Spain and rode off into the sunset
Jun 20th 2019
Argentina not winning has nothing to o do with Messi
Jun 23rd 2019
      I didn't get the impression he was suggesting that
Jun 23rd 2019
      I know everyone expects a cakewalk against Venezuela
Jun 24th 2019
           I don't expect a cakewalk at all
Jun 24th 2019
      RE: Argentina not winning has nothing to o do with Messi
Jun 24th 2019
Hard to believe James cant find a place in RM's starting 11.
Jun 21st 2019
He's a different player in a Colombian sweater b/w looks like Napoli
Jun 22nd 2019
El vino tinto avanza b/w Brasil whips Peru 5-0
Jun 22nd 2019
Colombia poised to finish group play with 7-1 aggregate, +6 differential
Jun 23rd 2019
Just look at this image from the Argentina vs Paraguay.
Jun 24th 2019
frankly they weren't great against Qatar either
Jun 24th 2019
it's so fucking infuriating
Jun 24th 2019
      Some people say that's kind of a symptom of modern futbol
Jun 26th 2019
How ridiculously stupid is the seeding for the knockout stage?
Jun 24th 2019
ay what channel is this joint on lol
Jun 24th 2019
Telemundo. I think ESPN+ is also carrying it but I am not sure
Jun 24th 2019
El Salvador went belly up. Curacao advances. Pretty cool.
Jun 26th 2019
that's the gold cup but i guess we can kinda combined the posts
Jun 26th 2019
      see, i totally forgot about Copa America.
Jun 26th 2019
So is Messi playing well?
Jun 26th 2019
Rodriguez is cookin'. Messi has been decent, not super sharp though.
Jun 26th 2019
straight to pens huh? Dope
Jun 29th 2019
First and only moment I liked in the knockout stage
Jun 29th 2019
Brazil letting Argentina hang on, need to be more clinical
Jul 02nd 2019
I hope everyone is watching this
Jul 02nd 2019
and shut I thought Arg had more chances that half
Jul 02nd 2019
      Congrats on nabbing Ndomb btw, heck of a player
Jul 02nd 2019
           still scared to talk about it
Jul 02nd 2019
wowza at that run by Gabriel Jesus
Jul 02nd 2019
you know things are desperate when Dybala gets in a game
Jul 02nd 2019
Where's BKwhat? Said it years ago
Jul 02nd 2019
      Ciao, boludos!
Jul 03rd 2019
How is Dani Alves still so good?
Jul 02nd 2019
Acai?
Jul 03rd 2019
It’s not football if it’s not Bobby Firmino
Jul 02nd 2019
i really wanted to see a Brazil /Chile final. Oh well
Jul 03rd 2019
Peru put it on Chile though
Jul 03rd 2019
congrats to Brazil
Jul 07th 2019
Peru got sucked into physical play and other shit that slowed it all dow...
Jul 08th 2019
GJ was eating this tournament
Jul 07th 2019

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35257 posts
Wed Jun-19-19 08:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "why does the coach hate Dybala?"
In response to Reply # 0

dude has played 22 minutes of meaningful soccer for Argentina since the day before last year's WC

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Jun-19-19 08:51 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Having weak chemistry with Messi seems like a good way to get benched"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed Jun-19-19 08:54 PM by ConcreteCharlie

They made some tweaks ahead of today's game and considered others. I don't think he was on their radar though.

Update in the game it's 1-1 after a bullshit penalty kick was awarded (what exactly is the point of VAR if calls like that happen?) and Messi buried it. Paraguay earned a PK of their own and Gonzalez muffed it.

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Thu Jun-20-19 08:54 AM

3. "Messi could have played for Spain and rode off into the sunset"
In response to Reply # 0

The ARG press and fans want him to do EVERYTHING and he's never been that
he'll never win a tournament with ARG cuz he can't handle that kind of pressure
truthfully, few can

They'll squeak by just like in the last WC then get swiftly sent packing in the KO stage

I see either Uruguay or Colombia lifting the trophy

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sun Jun-23-19 02:50 PM

7. "Argentina not winning has nothing to o do with Messi"
In response to Reply # 3

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sun Jun-23-19 03:33 PM

8. "I didn't get the impression he was suggesting that"
In response to Reply # 7

Looks like they will move on here but just barely. Qatar has missed opportunities in this game. Argentina has outplayed them but not by much, and the early goal is all that stands. I could see them losing to Venezuela, seriously, one mistake in their net could end them or they could go scoreless to penalties. We'll see if the matchup stands but it would be ARG-VEN as of now.

j.
Member since Feb 24th 2009
3819 posts
Mon Jun-24-19 08:53 AM

10. "I know everyone expects a cakewalk against Venezuela"
In response to Reply # 8

But here's the thing
Venezuela is this bipolar team that could play a perfect defensive game (like they just did against Brazil- haters will say they parked the bus but who could do that against the penta and come out 0-0?)

Against ARG, they could steal a goal or two on a counter and shock the world (ARG's defense isn't exactly world class)

OR

they shit the bed and Messi and co. run all over them

Either outcome is plausible, it's truly 50/50 at this point

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Jun-24-19 02:56 PM

13. "I don't expect a cakewalk at all"
In response to Reply # 10

Yes I could see Argentina getting an early goal and keeping pressure on but I could also see the game going scoreless and being a coin flip on penalties or Venezuela flat-out winning the game. They have just enough scoring punch to do it.

I dunno if they played a perfect defensive game against Brasil but pretty close. I wouldn't cricitize them for parking the bus exactly but they did play their final possessions too conservatively and it almost cost them on a counter (thank you, VAR). Peru they made plenty of mistakes but their keeper bailed them out.

The big thing is that they are playing pretty well as a group. I still don't see that out of Argentina. They'd played maybe 25 good minutes out of 270 so far.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Mon Jun-24-19 12:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "RE: Argentina not winning has nothing to o do with Messi"
In response to Reply # 7

Seriously.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

DunDaDa
Charter member
7411 posts
Fri Jun-21-19 06:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Hard to believe James cant find a place in RM's starting 11."
In response to Reply # 0

----------------------------------------------------------------
respect the gift.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Jun-22-19 11:06 PM

5. "He's a different player in a Colombian sweater b/w looks like Napoli"
In response to Reply # 4

Looks like he'll head to Napoli, which should be a great situation for him. Reunited with Ancelotti and possibly Ospina (we'll see how his situation gets resolved between Arsenal, Napoli and whomever). Ospina is not just his teammate with the national team, he is also his brother-in-law.

I'd love to see him flourish at the club level but as long as he can play strong in this WC cycle for Colombia, I don't care all that much. He was awesome in 2014 and really in 2018 for the game and a half that he was fit. He's been great so far here.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Jun-22-19 11:12 PM

6. "El vino tinto avanza b/w Brasil whips Peru 5-0"
In response to Reply # 0

Venezuela is through by virtue of a win over Bolivia (who was trampled in this tournament) and Brasil's shellacking of Peru.

The knockout round is looking pretty firm. Chile and Uruguay face each other for their group tomorrow with Chile holding a lead (six points to Uruguay's four); Colombia and Brasil already won theirs.

I'd love to see the Vino Tinto make some noise here with all the shit going on back home. Their goalie gave up one goal (that stood) in three games, and it was a meaningless one. They have some action up front, MLS fans will certainly recognize Martinez's bleached locks out there. I don't think they can win it but advancing even a round would be big.

Colombia has looked great thus far. Brasil rolled today but it kind of snowballed on Peru. Otherwise they have been just decent, but they haven't really had to be great. Chile-Uruguay should be a nice match to check the temperature of both sides.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sun Jun-23-19 03:34 PM

9. "Colombia poised to finish group play with 7-1 aggregate, +6 differential"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm eager to see Chile-Uruguay tomorrow. So far los Cafeteros have been the best team here but I haven't seen much of that group because of the TV schedule.

Hitokiri
Charter member
22108 posts
Mon Jun-24-19 01:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "Just look at this image from the Argentina vs Paraguay."
In response to Reply # 0

https://i.redd.it/yjybh0sazh531.jpg

This is why Argentina are terrible.
This is the game plan.

They were better against Qatar but it's hard to see them going much further.

--

"You can't beat white people. You can only knock them out."

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Jun-24-19 02:58 PM

14. "frankly they weren't great against Qatar either"
In response to Reply # 12

early goal was most of what they needed. qatar had some chances that most other teams would have cashed in on. i could definitely see argentina falling to venezuela, and certainly they won't advance beyond the semi finals.

thejerseytornado
Member since Dec 24th 2005
26425 posts
Mon Jun-24-19 03:00 PM

15. "it's so fucking infuriating"
In response to Reply # 12

they all say they know not to do exactly that, every coach says it, teammates say it and then they all just rely on messi. Lautaro is pretty much the only one who doesn't.

and barca's more direct system (aside from dembele, who tries to rely on himself) is getting more and more similar. eto'o and pedro were always underrated for how much they worked to help messi by making runs (villa got credit for it. suarez sometimes does, sometimes doesn't). i'll end there to avoid turning this into a barca thread but messi deserves teammates who DO THE FUCKING WORK

-----------
you think we playing chess, but i'm playing mad-making. Basaglia

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Jun-26-19 02:19 PM

23. "Some people say that's kind of a symptom of modern futbol"
In response to Reply # 15

I was watching a documentary on the great Brasil teams and some Brasilian journalist was saying that the difference between those teams and the teams today is that they were a team that included Pele whereas today it's Messi plus 10, Ronaldo plus 10, Neymar plus 10, etc. That the teams rely upon the star so much that it doesn't engage the other players and it also makes things easier to organize for the defense, basically.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Jun-24-19 08:15 PM

16. "How ridiculously stupid is the seeding for the knockout stage?"
In response to Reply # 0

They can't just seed it by record? How the fuck is it reasonable that the top overall team in group play faces the No. 3 overall team? What was the point of winning those games?

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85075 posts
Mon Jun-24-19 09:34 PM

17. "ay what channel is this joint on lol"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Jun-24-19 09:43 PM

18. "Telemundo. I think ESPN+ is also carrying it but I am not sure"
In response to Reply # 17

I been watching on Telemundo, the announcers are pretty funny.

PROMO
Charter member
30971 posts
Wed Jun-26-19 09:43 AM

19. "El Salvador went belly up. Curacao advances. Pretty cool."
In response to Reply # 0

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Jun-26-19 02:08 PM

21. "that's the gold cup but i guess we can kinda combined the posts"
In response to Reply # 19

PROMO
Charter member
30971 posts
Wed Jun-26-19 02:45 PM

24. "see, i totally forgot about Copa America."
In response to Reply # 21

so, i just assumed this was the Gold Cup post w/out reading.

my bad.

makaveli
Charter member
16305 posts
Wed Jun-26-19 10:19 AM

20. "So is Messi playing well?"
In response to Reply # 0

How is my boy Rodriguez from Colombia playing? Thanks for this post, I'm going to start watching these.

“So back we go to these questions — friendship, character… ethics.”

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Jun-26-19 02:14 PM

22. "Rodriguez is cookin'. Messi has been decent, not super sharp though."
In response to Reply # 20

He hasn't done a whole lot in the flow of play but he's certainly opened up space for others and he buried a penalty kick against Paraguay that was big for Argentina.

James has been awesome. Watch the highlights from the win against Argentina, he made an absolutely fabulous play that has been the best of the tournament to set up a Martinez goal (he also put in work on the play). He had a very nice assist the Qatar game as well and a third against Paraguay that got nullified by VAR. He is loose, looking how he looks in the Colombian uniform. He's also relishing his role as a playmaker. Cuadrado had a little bit of a slow start, kind of too pumped up and he is slowing down a little (though he's still pretty fast), but he's played better as it has gone on. Falcao hasn't made much noise but I bet he has one big game in him. Martinez and Zapata are picking up any slack though. Mina and Sanchez have been awesome on the back end and Ospina has been reliable, though he missed the third game (went to Medellin to visit his ailing father).

Cavani is still dangerous for Uruguay. They look like they have some adjustments to make in the lead-up to 2022, team is getting older.

benny
Member since Jan 15th 2003
8435 posts
Sat Jun-29-19 04:06 PM

25. "straight to pens huh? Dope"
In response to Reply # 0

Esp when Luisito misses the first

------------------------------
For the record, my teams:
MLB: Mets / Soccer: PSG
NCAA BB: Arizona / NCAA FB: Michigan
NBA: Spurs / NFL: Jets

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Sat Jun-29-19 07:05 PM

26. "First and only moment I liked in the knockout stage"
In response to Reply # 25

The play-on and rely on VAR thing is weird and needs some refinement. The officiating has similarly focused on letting play continue and they've let some bad fouls ride. The draw setup is fucking terrible. How did Colombia have the top overall performance in group play and get stuck with either Uruguay or Chile? Pointless and unfair. Seed the teams for fuck's sake. Credit to Chile for outplaying them through 90. I knew Tesillo was going to screw Colombia at some point, I said it to my jawn during the game against Qatar and then we watched him muff that one yesterday. Would have been nice if Ospina had come up with a save but I dunno. Chile was roofing their penalties.

benny
8435 posts
Tue Jul-02-19 08:16 PM

27. "Brazil letting Argentina hang on, need to be more clinical"
In response to Reply # 0

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Jul-02-19 08:29 PM

28. "I hope everyone is watching this"
In response to Reply # 27

The goal was pure sex. Messi remains Jesus,

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Jul-02-19 08:29 PM

29. "and shut I thought Arg had more chances that half"
In response to Reply # 27

----
bshelly

benny
8435 posts
Tue Jul-02-19 08:42 PM

30. "Congrats on nabbing Ndomb btw, heck of a player"
In response to Reply # 29

>

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Jul-02-19 08:47 PM

31. "still scared to talk about it"
In response to Reply # 30

If you drew up the perfect player for what we need, it’d look a lot like him.

----
bshelly

benny
8435 posts
Tue Jul-02-19 09:06 PM

32. "wowza at that run by Gabriel Jesus"
In response to Reply # 0

benny
8435 posts
Tue Jul-02-19 09:18 PM

33. "you know things are desperate when Dybala gets in a game"
In response to Reply # 0

calminvasion
Charter member
12575 posts
Tue Jul-02-19 09:24 PM

35. "Where's BKwhat? Said it years ago"
In response to Reply # 33

He ain't worth the hype. Slow twitch unathletic and uninteresting, don't see much further growth for him beyond being a decent player.

Lol he's already 25 smh

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Jul-03-19 08:27 PM

37. "Ciao, boludos!"
In response to Reply # 35

calminvasion
Charter member
12575 posts
Tue Jul-02-19 09:21 PM

34. "How is Dani Alves still so good?"
In response to Reply # 0

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Jul-03-19 08:28 PM

38. "Acai?"
In response to Reply # 34

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Tue Jul-02-19 09:29 PM

36. "It’s not football if it’s not Bobby Firmino"
In response to Reply # 0

dillinjah
Charter member
9029 posts
Wed Jul-03-19 09:21 PM

39. "i really wanted to see a Brazil /Chile final. Oh well "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Jul-03-19 09:24 PM by dillinjah

No disrespect to any peruano on here, but as a neutral, c’mon.

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Wed Jul-03-19 09:38 PM

40. "Peru put it on Chile though"
In response to Reply # 39

Overall this tournament has been pretty meh. Some tight games but few entertaining ones. Probably the best match was Argentina-Colombia early in the group stage. Venezuela-Peru was also kind of exciting in that Venezuela seemed to have nine lives between great goalkeeping and VAR.

will_5198
Charter member
63109 posts
Sun Jul-07-19 06:59 PM

41. "congrats to Brazil "
In response to Reply # 0

officiating was all over the place in the semis and finals but they were the best side in the tournament. Peru had a chance, but those last twenty minutes were a disaster (no possession being up a man, then that shoulder charge penalty for no reason to seal it).

Jesus was ridiculous the last two games.

--------

ConcreteCharlie
71387 posts
Mon Jul-08-19 12:29 AM

43. "Peru got sucked into physical play and other shit that slowed it all dow..."
In response to Reply # 41

Once Brasil had 10 men they really tried to bait challenges that would turn into fouls or otherwise kill clock.

The penalty was a little iffy to me but they obviously reviewed it. At any rate Peru wasn't getting anything going offensively anyway, even with the man advantage.

Brasil was the best side consistently in the tournament. I was surprised to see Chile flop in the semi-final. Colombia got an absurdly unfair draw with them in the first round given that the Cafeteros were by far the best team in the group stage.

There was a lot of CONMEBOL fuckery in this tournament, but that's to be expected. Good games were few and far between though, which sucks.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85075 posts
Sun Jul-07-19 10:07 PM

42. "GJ was eating this tournament"
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2699809 Previous topic | Next topic