Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2694697

Subject: "Hall of the very good or deserving?" Previous topic | Next topic
SynsCei
Member since Mar 05th 2008
545 posts
Sun Apr-28-19 05:49 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Hall of the very good or deserving?"

For me, it's my man Bernie Williams. 51 is my fav number to this day. I purposely asked my coach to switch me to center fielder.

He was clutch, exceptional CF, switch hitting .300+ batting...Damn sound like a Ric Flair promo. Guitar playing son of a gun...

I digress, who is not gonna get into the HOF but prolly should be?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
David Cone, Orel Hershiser, Kenny Lofton
Apr 28th 2019
I'd vote for Lofton even though he won't make it
Apr 28th 2019
Kenny went off this year blaming all the steroid users...
Apr 28th 2019
all three of them
Apr 29th 2019
Dave Stewart
Apr 28th 2019
There was about a 5 year period where he was so tough
Apr 28th 2019
one of my favorite players of all time.
Apr 29th 2019
Kenny Lofton is a great one
Apr 28th 2019
Mark Grace, Go Cubs Go!!!!
Apr 28th 2019
Mark Buerhle, Fred McGriff, Will Clark, Kevin Brown, John Olerud
Apr 28th 2019
If Harold Baines is in, McGriff should be in.
Apr 29th 2019
RE: Hall of the very good or deserving?
Apr 29th 2019
Jay Buhner is my Seattle nominee
Apr 29th 2019

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18574 posts
Sun Apr-28-19 06:31 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "David Cone, Orel Hershiser, Kenny Lofton"
In response to Reply # 0

And he’s in a different category -the shoulda been a HOFer - but I wish Daryl Strawberry was in.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sun Apr-28-19 07:00 PM

2. "I'd vote for Lofton even though he won't make it"
In response to Reply # 1

I feel like he and Omar Vizquel played in the wrong era. Had they come along earlier they would have been like Ashburn and Aparicio, but instead they were in an era where their positions were expected to hit more (particularly Vizquel). Vizquel did get in but there wouldn't have been any doubt previously or any need to "make a case." Lofton is close, I think he gets a little screwed by Griffey's defense being a little overrated or, if you look at it more broadly, the favoritism toward offensive stars for Gold Gloves. But Lofton was a better fielder, he set the table well and he could really run. He's not on Griffey's level of HOF candidacy, I get that, but someone who was so much his peer at the position and accomplished a lot (and won a lot) seems to be a pretty solid candidate.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

DJR
18574 posts
Sun Apr-28-19 07:32 PM

3. "Kenny went off this year blaming all the steroid users..."
In response to Reply # 2

for him not getting in. I’m wasn’t mad at that rant either.

My first childhood memory was Hershiser carrying my Dodgers to the title, so I’m biased there. Low key, he pitched 98% as well the next season and got ripped off by some of the worst run support of all time. 3 transcendent seasons in individual performance, but only 2 were noticed due to W/L record, and only 1 mattered due to team performance. Plus longevity as a solid pitcher in the other years.

Cone always pitched well in the World Series, for 5 different champions, and had a ton of solid regular seasons. But only had the one incredible regular season with the Mets that coincidentally got overshadowed by Hershiser’s all time great season, and the Cy Young season in the 94 strike year in Kansas City that went under the radar for both those reasons.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132212 posts
Mon Apr-29-19 10:39 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
11. "all three of them"
In response to Reply # 1

man, I remember Cone Dogg...

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44687 posts
Sun Apr-28-19 07:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Dave Stewart"
In response to Reply # 0

Four straight 20-win seasons. A Complete Game machine. Three World Championships. Certainly the best ALCS pitcher of all-time. And owner Roger Clemens' soul.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

DJR
18574 posts
Sun Apr-28-19 08:10 PM

5. "There was about a 5 year period where he was so tough "
In response to Reply # 4

His entire 20’s were basically wasted, as far as HOF goes.

Starting at age 30, until he got too old though? Damn good.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132212 posts
Mon Apr-29-19 10:40 AM

12. "one of my favorite players of all time."
In response to Reply # 4

on the A's he was a real bad ass.

Yes, I'm mad. Let's move on.

Jays | Cavs | Eagles | Sabres | Tarheels

PSN: Dr_Claw_77 | XBL: Dr Claw 077 | FB: drclaw077 | T: @drclaw77 | http://thepeoplesvault.wordpress.com

SynsCei
Member since Mar 05th 2008
545 posts
Sun Apr-28-19 09:34 PM

6. "Kenny Lofton is a great one"
In response to Reply # 0

Of course I'm playing J Cole's "KL" ...

Dave Stewart was a bit before my time.

isaaaa
Member since May 10th 2007
30565 posts
Sun Apr-28-19 09:47 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "Mark Grace, Go Cubs Go!!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg
http://Tupreme.com

DJR
18574 posts
Sun Apr-28-19 09:48 PM

8. "Mark Buerhle, Fred McGriff, Will Clark, Kevin Brown, John Olerud"
In response to Reply # 0

Alright, I wouldn’t argue any of them SHOULD be a hall of famer(probably...I could be convinced for Crime Dog and Brown) but they’re all easily hall of very good.

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44687 posts
Mon Apr-29-19 01:41 AM

9. "If Harold Baines is in, McGriff should be in. "
In response to Reply # 8

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

MarkyMark
Member since Dec 04th 2009
760 posts
Mon Apr-29-19 08:00 AM

10. "RE: Hall of the very good or deserving?"
In response to Reply # 0

World Fucking Champion 2008 Phillies had a few of these guys - Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, and Jimmy Rollins.

Howard's prime is bonkers - HR and RBI totals that were on par with Babe Ruth. Unfortunately he got a relatively late start to his career and his career fell off a cliff after the Achilles injury. The career numbers just aren't there due to the lack of longevity.

Utley was the best hitting 2B in baseball for a period but again end of career raw numbers aren't there.

Of the three, I think Rollins has the best HOF case and should get in eventually.

GOMEZ
Member since Feb 13th 2003
5613 posts
Mon Apr-29-19 10:49 AM

13. "Jay Buhner is my Seattle nominee"
In response to Reply # 0

He had a 3 year stretch where he was an absolute beast during peak Mariners. He smashed baseballs and had about as good an arm as anyone I've seen in right field.

In a generation of swine, the one-eyed pig is king.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2694697 Previous topic | Next topic