Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2693865

Subject: "Terence Crawford vs Amir Khan 4/20/19 - ESPN PPV" Previous topic | Next topic
Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14014 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 04:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Terence Crawford vs Amir Khan 4/20/19 - ESPN PPV"

The man widely considered the best boxer in the world is defending his title against a man who wants to prove once and for all that he's a top contender in the sport. Khan feels this may be his final chance to prove his greatness. He chased a bout with Mayweather that never materialized. Remember when Mayweather did a poll, asking the fans who he should fight? The fans chose Khan, and Mayweather fought Berto anyway lol. Khan is remembered by many for jumping up in weight to fight Canelo against the advice of his trainer and getting KO'd. His chin is questionable. But he's also known for never being outboxed. He was outboxing Canelo prior to the sudden KO. The problem is that Terence is also known for never being outboxed... only Terence has never been defeated. However, he's fairly new to the welterweight division where Khan is very acclimated. Could Khan's legendary hand speed give Terence problems? Will Terence figure him out and stop him like he's done to every opponent in the past? Will Virgil Hunter's training and corner advice be enough to keep Khan focused? These questions will be answered tomorrow.

Also this is one of those rare times when there's a fight on the undercard that I'd pay to see. Undefeated prospect Shakur Stevenson is facing Christopher Diaz. This is s a true step-up fight. Some say Stevenson shouldn't be taking this fight right now, and he says "watch me work." Diaz is a dog, and NEVER comes to lay down.
Teofimo Lopez, widely considered the most excited prospect in boxing, is taking on Edis Tatli who I fully expect him to demolish as he's done with his past few opponents.

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
On android devices, you'll need the FITE.TV app to order the fight
Apr 19th 2019
Face-to-Face, Pressers, Weigh-In, Interviews, etc
Apr 19th 2019
I'm mad
Apr 19th 2019
oh ok virgil stopped it.
Apr 20th 2019
Amir Khan runs on sugar water
Apr 21st 2019
Dude quit from a punch to the thigh/hip
Apr 21st 2019
Post-Fight Press Conference
Apr 21st 2019
Moving Forward
Apr 25th 2019
I hate that boxing has to be this way but
Apr 25th 2019
RE: I hate that boxing has to be this way but
Apr 26th 2019
RE: Moving Forward
Apr 26th 2019
Apr 26th 2019
Apr 26th 2019
Forgot to mention Shakur Stevenson's performance
Apr 26th 2019
Spence vs Porter ???
Apr 26th 2019
You're welcome lol
Apr 27th 2019
didn't watch.. what an insult to my intelligence this match-up is.
Apr 29th 2019

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 04:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "On android devices, you'll need the FITE.TV app to order the fight"
In response to Reply # 0

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 05:01 PM

2. "Face-to-Face, Pressers, Weigh-In, Interviews, etc"
In response to Reply # 0

Face-to-Face
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdu07CI2ZOo

Weigh-In
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYeNjhB5tag

First Press Conference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rueA7AR5vY

Final Press Conference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibpdnn-WwGc

Virgil Hunter on training Khan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z32xmsqaWaQ

Terence Crawford interviewed about the fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtWdHb9vxXQ

Amir Khan interviewed about the fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=togX37RtpXs

~
~
~
~
~

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5814 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 09:05 PM

3. "I'm mad"
In response to Reply # 0

I was originally considering going to this fight, but decided against it cause I don't trust Top Rank matchmaking (for the undercards). But this might be the most solid all-around card so far this year and I'm pissed at myself

Anyways, Bud gonna outbox this dude and wear him down

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/2023071.rss

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

Reeq
Member since Mar 11th 2013
16347 posts
Sat Apr-20-19 11:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "oh ok virgil stopped it."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Apr-20-19 11:33 PM by Reeq

that was kinda early imo.

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Sun Apr-21-19 01:18 AM

5. "Amir Khan runs on sugar water "
In response to Reply # 0

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Sun Apr-21-19 01:27 PM

7. "Dude quit from a punch to the thigh/hip "
In response to Reply # 5
Sun Apr-21-19 01:28 PM by bentagain

Talking about...I'm a warrior

FOH

The Canelo KO should have been the end of his career vs elite opponents

How many fighters get clean knocked tf out and left for dead like that...go on to return to form...?

He's washed...and the only folks who don't realize it are him and his promoter

Virgil saved him from taking another nap on the canvas

I hope his next announcement is retirement.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Sun Apr-21-19 01:19 AM

6. "Post-Fight Press Conference"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN8oNEeW21M

Bud says they worked on starting faster in this camp since Amir is a fast starter and he's known to start slowly himself. That definitely paid off w/ the 1st round knockdown and subsequent domination of the fight. Khan was looking for a way out imo, because while the blow was low, it actually hit his thigh. He looked demoralized after the 2nd round. He knew he wasn't going to outbox Crawford or win this fight. The low blow gave him an excuse to give up early, and he took it. Congrats to Bud. He made Khan look like garbage and made his face look like he got jumped.

~
~
~
~
~

S_Ali
Charter member
1479 posts
Thu Apr-25-19 08:45 AM

8. "Moving Forward"
In response to Reply # 0

It appeared Khan could have continued but he was saved by his trainer. Crawford did exactly what he was supposed to do. Which leads me to my main point. Nobody was calling for a fight between Crawford and Amir Khan. To take it a step further, there was very little to no demand for any of the opponents Crawford has faced from 135 to 147. Gamboa was coming up in weight to face Crawford. The only guy I wanted to see him fight at the time they fought was Victor Postol. I've always felt like Crawford would be the most talented fighter at 147 the day he decided to step up to the welterweight division. I just don't know how great he is because he hasn't fought any of the other top welterweights. Spence is not much different to be fair. But he did go to the UK to stop Kell Brook who had taken the title from Shawn Porter. The fact that the other Haymon fighters at 147 have fought each other but for "some reason" have not engaged with Spence tells a lot. Danny Garcia fresh off a KO when asked about who he wants to face next mentioned rematches with Porter and Thurman and also facing Manny.

Arum publicly attempted to sabotage the fight with Spence. And then basically called the man a racist stating Haymon will tell his fighters not to work with a white promoter. He can always say he tried but Haymon has never negotiated fights in the public. If Arum was all about competition why didn't he match Manny and Crawford when both were with Top Rank? I guess he realizes he has no leverage and desperate times call for desperate measures.

snacks
Member since Sep 15th 2005
5814 posts
Thu Apr-25-19 08:21 PM

9. "I hate that boxing has to be this way but"
In response to Reply # 8

Crawford kinda fucked himself signing that long Top Rank extension. Spence's camp is clearly unwilling to work with Arum at this point, whether it's theatrics on Arum's end or not. Unfortunately Top Rank is no place for a top welterweight and Pacquiao made the right move. Unless he moves up (not advisable), I have no idea who he will fight for the next two years

The Brand Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@themonarchbrand
https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/2023071.rss

The Life Pod
https://www.youtube.com/@thewaterpodcast
https://redcircle.com/shows/the-water-podcast

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Fri Apr-26-19 01:29 AM

11. "RE: I hate that boxing has to be this way but"
In response to Reply # 9

>Spence's camp is clearly unwilling to work with
>Arum at this point, whether it's theatrics on Arum's end or
>not.

It's the fact that the PBC possibly losing a belt to another network would be bad for their contractual agreement. They definitely wouldn't want to lose it to Arum given Arum was part of a failed lawsuit against Haymon, Spence's adviser and HNIC at PBC.

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Fri Apr-26-19 01:18 AM

10. "RE: Moving Forward"
In response to Reply # 8
Fri Apr-26-19 01:27 AM by Boogie Stimuli

>To take it a step
>further, there was very little to no demand for any of the
>opponents Crawford has faced from 135 to 147.

Gonna have to provide some pushback here. He literally beat every other champion at 140. He was undisputed. I don't know what else there is to ask for at that point. He did what he was supposed to do there and moved up. It'd be different if he was still hanging around at 135, begging for fights to become undisputed... like Spence is doing at 147, hanging around at the lowest weight he can shrink into, claiming he's great because he can walk through guys at that weight. Spence won't impress me until he at least does damage at 154, but I digress. I personally just want fighters to strive for undisputed without ducking mandatories.

>I just don't know how great he is
>because he hasn't fought any of the other top welterweights.
>Spence is not much different to be fair.

Thank you.

>The fact that the other Haymon fighters at 147 have
>fought each other but for "some reason" have not engaged with
>Spence tells a lot. Danny Garcia fresh off a KO when asked
>about who he wants to face next mentioned rematches with
>Porter and Thurman and also facing Manny.

Danny named Spence as well. Here's the actual, uncut interview, timestamped to when they ask him the question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV7kTjy6EJE#t=2m29s
Also Spence and Porter are said to be fighting in June per the WBC. The word is that the fight is "almost finalized" and Porter claims he excited about the fight. We'll see if he find a way to wiggle out of it.

>Arum publicly attempted to sabotage the fight with Spence.
>And then basically called the man a racist stating Haymon will
>tell his fighters not to work with a white promoter. He can
>always say he tried but Haymon has never negotiated fights in
>the public. If Arum was all about competition why didn't he
>match Manny and Crawford when both were with Top Rank? I
>guess he realizes he has no leverage and desperate times call
>for desperate measures.

Yeah Arum done really fucked up now. PBC was already freezing Crawford out, but this really isn't gonna make it any better. The bottom line is that the PBC has an agreement with Fox to broadcast a certain number of championship fights, so putting any of the their title-holders in a position to lose to fighters from other networks would jeopardize their contractual agreement. I'm not saying I'm for or against that, just saying what's what. My job as a fan is to demand the fights I wanna see. I'm not paying for anymore of these PPV's until they give me those fights.

~
~
~
~
~

S_Ali
Charter member
1479 posts
Fri Apr-26-19 10:43 AM

13. "RE: Moving Forward"
In response to Reply # 10

>
>Gonna have to provide some pushback here. He literally beat
>every other champion at 140. He was undisputed. I don't know
>what else there is to ask for at that point. He did what he
>was supposed to do there and moved up. It'd be different if
>he was still hanging around at 135, begging for fights to
>become undisputed... like Spence is doing at 147, hanging
>around at the lowest weight he can shrink into, claiming he's
>great because he can walk through guys at that weight. Spence
>won't impress me until he at least does damage at 154, but I
>digress. I personally just want fighters to strive for
>undisputed without ducking mandatories.
>
>
Spence was talking unfication before he became champ and has been denied the opportunity. If a a guy can make the weight, he is a fighter at that weight class. Let's not put disclaimers on it. Spence has fought better fighters than Terrence Crawford has, even with Crawford being undsiputed. The only time Crawford was not heavily favored was when he faced Postol. My comments were not a slight at Crawford. It was simply about the level of opposition he has faced in his career up into this point. Nobody was in the barbershop discussing a potential Terrence Crawford fight with anybody he has fought at 147. Joe Horn was the welterweight champ. Was he even in the picture of the top welterweights at the time he defeated Manny in a controversial decision? The fighters available for him to fight,as a Top Rank fighter, haven't been very good. Undisputed is important to me as well, being in truly competitive fights is more important as a fan. At least every once in a while.

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Fri Apr-26-19 02:30 PM

15. "RE: Moving Forward"
In response to Reply # 13

>If a a guy can make the weight,
>he is a fighter at that weight class. Let's not put
>disclaimers on it.

Then why make the point you made above about Gamboa "coming up in weight" to fight Crawford (which isn't completely true, since his previous fight was for an interim belt at Lightweight)? If you really believe that making the weight simply makes you a fighter at the weight class, them Gamboa was a really good fighter who had his 0 taken by the better fighter, Terence Crawford.
I'm a human with a two eyes, and a working brain, so I can see that natural size, frame, and walk-around weight makes a difference in a physical fight. This is why they say "a good big man beats a good little man." Even Mayweather will you that.
I can agree on the Gamboa point only if you can agree that Spence and Hurd are huge for their weight class. Gamboa can't be too little but then Peterson, who used to fight at 140, is evenly matched with Spence. Can't have it both ways, fam.

>Joe Horn was the welterweight champ. Was
>he even in the picture of the top welterweights at the time he
>defeated Manny in a controversial decision?

Jeff Horn, but it's kinda funny that Manny had such a tough time with him, and Crawford made it look like child's play in his first fight at the weight. But no, he wasn't elite.

>The fighters
>available for him to fight,as a Top Rank fighter, haven't been
>very good.

This is going to be very true for him at Welterweight it seems as he's being frozen out by PBC.

>Undisputed is important to me as well, being in
>truly competitive fights is more important as a fan. At
>least every once in a while.

Yeah, this is why I wanna see Hurd move up, but that's another topic lol.

~
~
~
~
~

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Fri Apr-26-19 02:07 AM

12. "Forgot to mention Shakur Stevenson's performance"
In response to Reply # 0

That was fantastic. He made Diaz look like he was the inexperienced fighter in there. Even Diaz said Stevenson was too quick for him to get his combinations off. Stevenson's punch variation was great at well. Beautiful body shots. He even handled Diaz stepping on his foot like a pro.

~
~
~
~
~

S_Ali
Charter member
1479 posts
Fri Apr-26-19 02:22 PM

14. "Spence vs Porter ???"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/WBCBoxing/status/1121553230297731072/photo/1

Boogie Stimuli
14014 posts
Sat Apr-27-19 04:00 AM

16. "You're welcome lol"
In response to Reply # 14

I dropped this news in reply 10, but it's consistent with Errol's statement to Crawford that he wants to take the "easy route" and get the strap off Porter first.
As for the fight, Porter will work hard and do his best, but Errol will beat the hell out that boy lol. It's funny, because one voice I respect says that he doesn't agree with the narrative that Spence will run through Porter, because nobody has ever run through Porter. He has a slight point, but Porter did have a tough fight with Kell Brook, and Spence stopped Kell Brook. Any way Porter chooses to fight this fight, I believe Spence is better than him at that fight on top of being taller, bigger man. Spence boxes better, hits harder, and if Porter uses his headbutt style, man Spence will hurt him bad. Spence could possibly stop Porter for the first time in his career. Porter is tough tho, so it will be a really interesting fight.
I also thought Ugas beat Porter, and this fight should be Spence vs Ugas, but Cubans stay getting screwed and the PBC probably figured Porter is more marketable and a bigger fight, especially considering his correspondent gig, but oh well.

~
~
~
~
~

PG
Charter member
42568 posts
Mon Apr-29-19 03:10 PM

17. "didn't watch.. what an insult to my intelligence this match-up is."
In response to Reply # 0

could've sold everything I own and put the money on it and then casually fall asleep before the fight.. not even bother checking before I went to collect my money.

this has got to be the worst joke of a headline match up since Tyson vs. McNeeley.. Kahn has no business being in the ring anymore.. hasen't in probably 8 years or more... go away Amir.. begone.

like I say did not watch.. absolutely no point.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2693865 Previous topic | Next topic