Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2691658

Subject: "NFL execs worry exploited players might be slightly less exploitable" Previous topic | Next topic
smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Thu Mar-28-19 09:10 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"NFL execs worry exploited players might be slightly less exploitable"

Man, f*ck these people.

"Multiple high-ranking sources at the NFL owners meetings told ESPN that Brown forcing his way out of a contract with three years left might set a precedent that players can do what they want."

what a f*cking quote

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30477/antonio-brown-trade-sets-dangerous-precedent-execs-say

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Was Brown really exploited?
Mar 28th 2019
I was thinking more in terms of organization vs individual player
Mar 28th 2019
If we let one play us to get away, imagine what the rest will do.
Mar 28th 2019
Exploited becuz of the Steelers' business practices. They don't guarante...
Mar 28th 2019
      Yeah. This is true.
Mar 28th 2019
Smh
Mar 28th 2019
RE: NFL execs worry exploited players might be slightly less exploitable
Mar 28th 2019
I Thought AB's Situation
Mar 29th 2019
It was mostly about money
Mar 29th 2019
That was the ruse...
Mar 29th 2019
      Yup. He tried to get more money this year
Mar 29th 2019

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79828 posts
Thu Mar-28-19 09:28 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Was Brown really exploited? "
In response to Reply # 0

6th rounder
few years later signed a 5 year 42 mill contract

In 2017 he signed a 4 year extension for 68 mill. Highest paid WR in the league

Now Leveon was exploited but AB? Nah.. lol.

I’m not mad at him for making moves (well, maybe a little) but he wasn’t exploited at all in Pittsburgh. Dude pretty much did what thebhell he wanted too without much punishment from Tomlin.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Thu Mar-28-19 09:49 AM

2. "I was thinking more in terms of organization vs individual player"
In response to Reply # 1

it's an inherently exploitative relationship.

There are worse labor relationships than the way the NFL and 32 millionaire (or billionaire) owners extract wealth, but it's still pretty bad.

I think the quote I highlighted is especially telling.

It's not surprising in the least, but it's a good reminder.

Creole
Charter member
15427 posts
Thu Mar-28-19 11:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "If we let one play us to get away, imagine what the rest will do. "
In response to Reply # 2

--- praying for peace, love, and power

Creole
Charter member
15427 posts
Thu Mar-28-19 11:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "Exploited becuz of the Steelers' business practices. They don't guarante..."
In response to Reply # 1

>6th rounder
>few years later signed a 5 year 42 mill contract
>
>In 2017 he signed a 4 year extension for 68 mill. Highest paid
>WR in the league
>
>Now Leveon was exploited but AB? Nah.. lol.
>
>I’m not mad at him for making moves (well, maybe a little)
>but he wasn’t exploited at all in Pittsburgh. Dude pretty
>much did what thebhell he wanted too without much punishment
>from Tomlin.

"The Steelers could walk away from Brown's base salaries of between $10 million and $13 million at any time with essentially no penalty. Brown has three years and around $39 million left on his deal, including a $2.5 million roster bonus due March 17.

Turning 31 in July, Brown's leverage is running out."

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30351/steelers-approach-to-player-contracts-hardly-a-guarantee

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30288/money-game-antonio-brown-working-system-for-new-deal

Dude played the system the way it was designed. And he won! Considering all that he's done in the last 8 to 9 seasons, there is no way he should not have had more guaranteed money than he had in those deals. And Pittsburgh's reluctance to change their model cost them two of the most dynamic players in the league because those guys no longer wanted to be exploited.

As a Ravens fan, I'm glad the Steelers screwed up. As a fan of these men winning, I'm glad they're no longer being exploited. They got guaranteed money than they were going to get from the Steelers.

legsdiamond
79828 posts
Thu Mar-28-19 09:04 PM

6. "Yeah. This is true. "
In response to Reply # 3

AB got all of his money tho.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59187 posts
Thu Mar-28-19 02:57 PM

5. "Smh"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

jimaveli
Charter member
6620 posts
Thu Mar-28-19 09:44 PM

7. "RE: NFL execs worry exploited players might be slightly less exploitable"
In response to Reply # 0

>Man, f*ck these people.
>
>"Multiple high-ranking sources at the NFL owners meetings told
>ESPN that Brown forcing his way out of a contract with three
>years left might set a precedent that players can do what they
>want."
>
>what a f*cking quote
>
>http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30477/antonio-brown-trade-sets-dangerous-precedent-execs-say

We're basically talking about contracts without guaranteed money as the main issue, right? That's the thing both AB and Lay were getting at if I understood them. They know they are about as good as they're going to be RIGHT NOW and they want as much guaranteed cheese as possible before they hit those scary NFL ages (30 for RB, 32 for WR) start to decline and the league throws them away for the next set of younger dudes who can play. Throwing away old/hurt players by and large is a big thing for that league. There's key exceptions but it ain't the norm at all.

But hell...

Seeing the alternative in the NBA probably validates the stance to some degree. You know the story: aging dudes who were good 3 years ago making hella money while dragging the team they play for through lame duck season after lame duck season until that team finally basically trades their contract away to get rid of them and start the process of being less wack in 4 years if they're lucky.

RexLongfellow
Charter member
18296 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 12:21 PM

8. "I Thought AB's Situation"
In response to Reply # 0

Was more about how Roethisberger was pissing him off, disrespecting him and the front office not willing to hold Big Ben accountable. The $ thing was extra.

And it's crazy how with all of AB's antics, Big Ben continues to skate for being a jerk-off

Abdul Jabbar, Muggsy Malone you
I don't know what that means but you know what I meant when I told you (c) Sean Price

legsdiamond
79828 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 12:39 PM

9. "It was mostly about money"
In response to Reply # 8

OBJ was making more than AB.

and JuJu being voted team MVP a week after fumbling vs the Saints. I think someone said AB wanted to show how hard it is for JuJu without him on the field... and JuJu struggled that last game.

I think the Ben thing is true as well but the FO of any NFL team isn’t going to pick a WR over a QB who has SB rings.

Creole
Charter member
15427 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 01:39 PM

10. "That was the ruse..."
In response to Reply # 8

>Was more about how Roethisberger was pissing him off,
>disrespecting him and the front office not willing to hold Big
>Ben accountable. The $ thing was extra.
>
>And it's crazy how with all of AB's antics, Big Ben continues
>to skate for being a jerk-off

All along it was about money. He got what he wanted out of it which was more guaranteed paper.

I honestly believe he could give two shits about Ben and how Ben acts when compared to how he feels about getting more money.

legsdiamond
79828 posts
Fri Mar-29-19 02:35 PM

11. "Yup. He tried to get more money this year "
In response to Reply # 10

and we said no.

We also tried to get AB to restructure for Ben’s new contract.

Steeler fans were pissed and blamed jealousy, drugs, CTE... then they saw his contract and realized it was all about the guaranteed money.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2691658 Previous topic | Next topic