Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2691426

Subject: "Mizzou's Porter re-tears ACL after missing '18-19 (ESPN swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8749 posts
Sat Mar-23-19 11:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Mizzou's Porter re-tears ACL after missing '18-19 (ESPN swipe)"

Mizzou's Porter re-tears ACL after missing '18-19

Jeff Borzello
ESPN Staff Writer

Missouri sophomore big man Jontay Porter recently re-tore the ACL that caused him to miss the entire season, a school spokesman confirmed to ESPN on Saturday.

The 6-foot-11 Porter was in Denver when he suffered the injury. He missed the 2018-19 season after initially tearing his right ACL and MCL in October during a closed preseason scrimmage against Southern Illinois.

Porter is the younger brother of Michael Porter Jr., the former top recruit who missed most of his lone season at Missouri with a back injury but was still selected by the Denver Nuggets with the 14th pick of last year's draft.

Jontay Porter averaged 9.9 points, 6.8 rebounds and 1.7 blocks last season as a freshman. Despite being projected as a late first-round pick last year alongside his older brother, he returned to the Tigers for his sophomore season after testing the NBA draft waters.

He is ranked as the No. 3 center and No. 24 player overall in ESPN's rankings for this year's NBA draft.

Knee problems have been an issue for the Porter siblings in recent years. Bri Porter, Jontay and Michael's sister, retired from basketball before last season at Missouri after suffering her fifth ACL tear.

Another sister, Cierra Porter, medically retired from the Missouri women's team in June because of ongoing knee problems, but she returned in December and went on to be named SEC Sixth Woman of the Year.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
wow, the entire family is made out of glass
Mar 24th 2019
speechless...just, speechless
Mar 24th 2019
      Do you think he still comes out?
Mar 24th 2019
           don't ever see him playing for free, again...
Mar 28th 2019
           He has to. He has no choice.
Mar 28th 2019
                one of their sisters, Bri...has torn her left ACL 5 times
Mar 28th 2019
shoulda come out last year, hope he can recover fully
Mar 28th 2019
WTF DOCTORS HADN'T CLEARED HIM TO PLAY YET
Mar 28th 2019
I facepalmed so hard when I read that....but, I'm nobody's judge
Mar 28th 2019
I've done unquestionably dumber shit
Mar 28th 2019
smh
Mar 28th 2019
Youth is wasted on the young.
Mar 28th 2019
Missouri's Jontay Porter will enter NBA Draft
Apr 19th 2019
Reply #6.
Apr 20th 2019

anysenserobbed
Member since Mar 01st 2003
531 posts
Sun Mar-24-19 08:51 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "wow, the entire family is made out of glass"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Mar-24-19 08:52 AM by anysenserobbed

Papa Porter must have made some sort deal with the devil at the crossroads for kids with basketball talent and didn't read the fine print

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Sun Mar-24-19 10:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "speechless...just, speechless"
In response to Reply # 1

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Sun Mar-24-19 06:26 PM

3. "Do you think he still comes out? "
In response to Reply # 2

He'd struggle to make a team I'd think if he declared without proving his knee was stable.

Can he come back? I thought he maybe hired an agent sometime last year.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Thu Mar-28-19 02:45 PM

5. "don't ever see him playing for free, again..."
In response to Reply # 3

he's gotta rehab his ass off and try to get a bag...however small it may be.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Thu Mar-28-19 02:58 PM

6. "He has to. He has no choice."
In response to Reply # 3

Someone will still take a flier second round imo. No risk, decent reward.

Further evidence that players ABSOLUTELY MUST leave the second they get interest... even if it's early second round. Even if he hadn't gotten first round money last year, I bet he would've gotten a multi-year two-way deal. Now, if he goes back to school and gets hurt *again*, he's forced into retirement without earning dollar one.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Thu Mar-28-19 03:17 PM

8. "one of their sisters, Bri...has torn her left ACL 5 times"
In response to Reply # 6

the other sister, Cierra, tore her left ACL the first time in the 8th grade.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Thu Mar-28-19 02:39 PM

4. "shoulda come out last year, hope he can recover fully"
In response to Reply # 0

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Thu Mar-28-19 03:06 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
7. "WTF DOCTORS HADN'T CLEARED HIM TO PLAY YET"
In response to Reply # 0

I know 19 year olds don't think and the urge to play is there but jesus man

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/jontay-porter-undergoes-second-knee-surgery-admits-he-had-not/article_6dce2ba7-fab8-5b57-99bc-c14631427aef.html

"“Thanking God for a successful surgery yesterday,” he posted on Twitter and Instagram. “On the road to recovery after re-tearing my ACL. It’s tough news to process but I know I’ll come back stronger than ever with the help of amazing doctors, family, and friends.

"In all honesty, I was impatient and completely naïve to think I was ready to get back on the court and play before I was cleared to (play). Word to the wise — never disobey doctor’s orders! I know I won’t make that mistake twice and will be back better than ever."

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Thu Mar-28-19 03:18 PM

9. "I facepalmed so hard when I read that....but, I'm nobody's judge"
In response to Reply # 7

Rjcc
Charter member
94964 posts
Thu Mar-28-19 03:49 PM

10. "I've done unquestionably dumber shit"
In response to Reply # 9

but never with a multimillon dollar career on the line.

now I'm looking at the dad, I wonder if that injury history has common factors in trying to rush back too fast

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Thu Mar-28-19 05:49 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
11. "smh"
In response to Reply # 7

>"In all honesty, I was impatient and completely naïve to
>think I was ready to get back on the court and play before I
>was cleared to (play).

--------

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Thu Mar-28-19 07:08 PM

12. "Youth is wasted on the young."
In response to Reply # 7

Damn. I can't judge him because I can't say what I would do in his situation. He's probably itching to get back on the court and prove himself and to get out from some form of hopelessness he may feel being laid up for such a long time.

He wasn't smart but I can't but think athletes jump back into training before their expected. He was unfortunate enough to get seriously injured though.

Hope he returns to the court soon.

obsidianchrysalis
8749 posts
Fri Apr-19-19 07:25 PM

13. "Missouri's Jontay Porter will enter NBA Draft"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26562658/missouri-jontay-porter-enter-nba-draft

Jeff Borzello
ESPN Staff Writer

Missouri Tigers sophomore Jontay Porter announced Friday he would be entering the NBA Draft.

Porter missed the entire 2018-19 season after tearing his right ACL and MCL in October during a closed preseason scrimmage against Southern Illinois. Porter then re-tore his right ACL in March, a school spokesman told ESPN at the time.

Jontay Porter averaged 9.9 points, 6.8 rebounds and 1.7 blocks as a freshman, but returned to the Tigers for his sophomore season despite being projected as a late first-round pick in 2018. He's now ranked No. 42 in ESPN's NBA Draft rankings, slotting in as the No. 8 center.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Sat Apr-20-19 07:52 AM

14. "Reply #6. "
In response to Reply # 13

I hope he gets healthy. And stops being a dumbass.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2691426 Previous topic | Next topic