Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2689566

Subject: "UFC 235: Slow and steady breaks the ribs. (and Jon Jones too)" Previous topic | Next topic
Castro
Charter member
50749 posts
Sun Mar-03-19 01:38 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"UFC 235: Slow and steady breaks the ribs. (and Jon Jones too)"
Sun Mar-03-19 01:46 AM by Castro

Usman made MY ribs hurt. Gatdamn.

------------------
One Hundred.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Woodley should keeps his day job at TMZ
Mar 03rd 2019
Tht was a masterful performance by usman
Mar 03rd 2019
Multiple fighters have survived different chokes for extended periods
Mar 03rd 2019
      that’s not what I was saying
Mar 03rd 2019
Weird, disappointing event
Mar 03rd 2019
When these shows are bad, they’re actually hard to watch
Mar 03rd 2019
OK. it was a wack card for the potential it had, but I can't remember
Mar 04th 2019
Even better now that it comes out Gall bit and eye gouged Diego
Mar 04th 2019
Tyron's fight before this one was exciting against Darren Till
Mar 06th 2019
you're right that one was good
Mar 06th 2019
I'm not a huge Woodley fan
Mar 06th 2019
well there you go. that's the difference between a goon like garbrandt
Mar 06th 2019
His first fight w/ Wonderboy was awesome
Mar 06th 2019

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Sun Mar-03-19 01:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Woodley should keeps his day job at TMZ"
In response to Reply # 0

>Usman made MY ribs hurt. Gatdamn.

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Sun Mar-03-19 08:50 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "Tht was a masterful performance by usman"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun Mar-03-19 08:51 AM by ShawndmeSlanted

I knew he was good but not that good. That was control and he was never in danger. He’s gonna be tough to beat. He’s got a style that is reminiscent of Khabib—- but that pacexpressure is another level.

It’s crazy how wrestlers now (woodley was a wrestler too)

Hold 7/8 UFC belts except max. Maybe I should quit bjj and wrestle lol

Mannnnn in the askren fight I’m pretty sure Ben was out after the drop and his head bouncing off the mat. I felt the fight should’ve been stopped based off that— even though he did “come back and win” based off what happened to his head— that was stoppable.

Looking at Robbie I think he might’ve went out and woken back up. It’s happened to me before— people who have been choked out before will understand. That arm went limp and did it go limp so he could release it off the back of askrens neck or cause he was out? My bigger question is should any sign of falling asleep warrant a stoppage?

Wonder why herb picked up the arm to check but then didn’t read what happened. lawler caught the arm and held a thumbs up but herb stops it anyway. Hilarious how Robbie caught it at last second like some WWE shit.

I will say that despite Robbie not being asleep. He wouldn’t have gotten out of that headlock until the round was over. Ben is an elite grappler and he had a dominant position and was hipped in. The end of the round was a relative long time away given the position.

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

FILF
Member since Jun 01st 2007
20180 posts
Sun Mar-03-19 05:45 PM

5. "Multiple fighters have survived different chokes for extended periods"
In response to Reply # 2

>I will say that despite Robbie not being asleep. He wouldn’t
>have gotten out of that headlock until the round was over. Ben
>is an elite grappler and he had a dominant position and was
>hipped in. The end of the round was a relative long time away
>given the position.

Off the top of my head:

Woodley had Thompson in a really tight guillotine choke for an extended period to the point that his arm burned out.

Mighty Mouse was also caught in BOTH a guillotine/D'arce by Tim Elliot & he survived by giving a thumbs up to the ref.

WHAT'S GOOD *****? What's REALLY good?!?!????!!! Ha HA!
http://40.media.tumblr.com/d8e2daf9f3f37244cd05436bcdf05973/tumblr_mt4qibKq4c1rgam01o1_1280.png

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Sun Mar-03-19 07:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "that’s not what I was saying"
In response to Reply # 5

>>I will say that despite Robbie not being asleep. He
>wouldn’t
>>have gotten out of that headlock until the round was over.
>Ben
>>is an elite grappler and he had a dominant position and was
>>hipped in. The end of the round was a relative long time
>away
>>given the position.
>
>Off the top of my head:
>
>Woodley had Thompson in a really tight guillotine choke for an
>extended period to the point that his arm burned out.
>
>Mighty Mouse was also caught in BOTH a guillotine/D'arce by
>Tim Elliot & he survived by giving a thumbs up to the ref.

Robbie couldve survived and not tapped — but Ben wasn’t gonna lose that position.
If you watch the replay— what actually made that bulldog choke so effective was Ben was using arm, yes— but he hopped into it— which is when robbies arm went limp.

Did you ever go visit Lucas Lepri in Charlotte?

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6573 posts
Sun Mar-03-19 11:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. " Weird, disappointing event"
In response to Reply # 0

I came home last night pissed. This has been my least favorite event of the year. A mix of outcomes I didn't want, a potentially bad call, lopsided dominations, and lack of living up to the hype.

Woodley/Usman

Woodley looked asleep all fight. Din Thomas tried to wake him up but nothing. "Run it back?" Even if he were Dana's best friend he wouldn't get an immediate rematch after that kind of domination. There's no way he sniffs a title shot again. He might as well keep 185 out his mouth.

I really love what Woodley has done in and out of the cage and how mad he makes Dana white and these cracker ass MMA fans so I'm pissed he went out like that.

Shoutout to Usman for a great performance. He seems like a really good dude and as long as someone black destroys Covington, I don't really care who it is. He weathered all that 'Marty from Nebraska' shit from Askren and executed. Hope he'll do the same against Covington. I really did want to see Covington get Koschecked though.

Jones/Smith

Anthony Smith looked great the first couple of rounds and then Jones broke him. All that 'I'm the better fighter' shit went right out the window. I honestly think Jones didn't finish him on purpose just to prove a point. He had ample opportunity to get him out. Smith's a G for taking that ass whupping and not winning by DQ.

Johnny Walker is the only threat to Jones but seemingly a legitimate one.

Askren/Lawler

Agree w/ Shawn looked like he went out, tough call by Herb Dean who knows. Askren stayed composed after that Pride-era slam and getting pieced up by Lawler. Shoutout to Lawler for being sportsman-like as fuck. He may be a murder robot but he's a classy murder robot.

Everything else

Impressed by both Torres/Zhang. Johnny Walker you play too damn much. Hope he's back soon. Cody Garbrandt Aaron Pico'd himself. Glad to see Cifers get the win. She trains out of Elevate here in Durham and is so sweet and quiet and country. She brought a baby goat to the gym one day. She's going to be limited by her size but glad she at least got that win.

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18386 posts
Sun Mar-03-19 12:33 PM

4. "When these shows are bad, they’re actually hard to watch"
In response to Reply # 3

It can be exhilarating...and it can be really boring

That Woodley/Usman fight was such a drag. At his best, Woodley is so much better than Usman. He did nothing at all through 25 total minutes. I so badly wanted the Woodley vs Covington fight, the story wrote itself: black dude from right near Ferguson Missouri versus a loudmouth MAGA asshole. But we won’t see it.

Garbrandt was the toast of the sport just two years ago, talked about as Conor’s successor as the next crossover star. Now he’s reeling. You just can’t flail that wildly and expect good things for too long. If he fought as measured as he fought against Dominic Cruz he’d possibly still be champion.

Story of Jon Jones life really - his worst enemy is himself. Thoroughly beats the snot out of his opponent for 20 minutes and is nearly disqualified right as he approaches the finish line. Worse yet, Smith was so over matched that Jon could’ve finished that at any point after the first round. Bad finale to a bad show.

And I bet Lawler and felt great for about one minute, so I’m especially bitter today.

Really odd and disappointing show. A night like that brings a lot of eyes to the sport. Two title fights, extensive promotion on ESPN, and that’s the show we got? A missed opportunity that surely won’t help grow the hardcore audience.

T Reynolds
Member since Apr 16th 2007
42760 posts
Mon Mar-04-19 08:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "OK. it was a wack card for the potential it had, but I can't remember "
In response to Reply # 0

the last 'exciting' fight Woodley had, so I'm not sure what people were expecting. I love the guy but I honestly think him being so successful by outlasting his opponents and fighting smart 100% worked against him in this one. Usman came to work and had the perfect game plan and skill set to make it a dirty one. Tyron had the incumbent champion mindset where he's weathering the storm, waiting it out, keeping his cool like he always does, but then his strengths were nullified and exposed. His excellent takedown defense was tested for the first time and we found out he's not that good off his back against an elite top pressure kind of grappler. Usman just tracked Woodley's biggest weapon, his right hand, and used any opportunity in exchanges to get inside and clinch. Really well executed. Usman's performance was unbelievable.

As far as Jones / Smith, that was definitely a one-sided clinic, but not without its entertainment. Jones' kicks by themselves left Smith locked up like a deer in headlights. The oblique kicks to the front leg, the side kicks to the body, the spinning shit. Then throwing them back to back to back with different timing, Smith got caught looking in the mirror when he realized he couldn't effectively counter anything Jon threw with regularity.

I was so hyped that Lawler was gonna put Askren's lights out, and then disappointed at the finish, but shit, it was good while it lasted.

The Tecia / Weili fight was very entertaining. Both physically very strong with the same tools. Some fun grappling exchanges and good sportsmanship.

Feel really bad for Garbrandt, but he tried to be a goon and that's just not who he is. Now everybody thinks his chin is suspect and it probably is. Pedro is a solid, well-rounded fighter that deserves ranking in the division, but Garbrandt had that special flash factor and so much promise, now he could be a flash in the pan.

Stamann / Perez was a good fight. I don't particularly like Zabit but he's interesting to watch from a technical standpoint. Johnny Walker is really fun to watch, would like to see him go the distance in the next one to see what he has to offer in total. And who didn't like seeing Gall get sonned by Diego? Cmon that was great.

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Mon Mar-04-19 09:59 AM

8. "Even better now that it comes out Gall bit and eye gouged Diego"
In response to Reply # 7

>And who didn't like seeing Gall get sonned
>by Diego? Cmon that was great.
>

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuiEUw1FrKs/

Holy shit Diego said he's from the streets of burque

I didn't realize that was how people say albuquerque

Boogie Stimuli
Member since Sep 24th 2010
14016 posts
Wed Mar-06-19 12:26 PM

9. "Tyron's fight before this one was exciting against Darren Till"
In response to Reply # 7

~
~
~
~
~
Days like this I miss Sha Mecca

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Wed Mar-06-19 12:44 PM

10. "you're right that one was good"
In response to Reply # 9

Numba_33
Charter member
19332 posts
Wed Mar-06-19 12:45 PM

11. "I'm not a huge Woodley fan"
In response to Reply # 7

but given how hard it is to win a fight and the huge number of things that can go wrong in a fight, I don't get too upset at fighters fighting a 'boring' fight if it leads them to a victory. It's a shame that the UFC's dollars are mainly tied to PPV numbers and the fact Dana White is a scumbag that trashes fighters that fight smart and safe. If only the UFC fanbase knew how difficult it is the fight smartly and correctly, I would hope fan reaction to surface level 'boring' fights could change for the better.

"Sean sparks like John Starks, nah, Sean ball like John Wall" - Rest In Power Forever Sean Price.

T Reynolds
42760 posts
Wed Mar-06-19 01:38 PM

12. "well there you go. that's the difference between a goon like garbrandt"
In response to Reply # 11

and a champ like woodley.

but the average UFC fan is fuckin dumb and is just there to Ric Flair whenever there isn't a face being bloodied. my lady has been with me to both grappling events and UFC events, and granted, UFC is more fun for her because there's striking - and I expect that from her, because fighting is not her thing. But there are guys who pay money to watch as fans but still boo as soon as it goes to the ground or who start saying the fight is terrible when there is any clinching, and there are a lot of them. Dana is just trying to protect his money by appeasing those guys. Who knows how he really feels, or if he has feelings about fighters outside of the bottom line (probably not)

>but given how hard it is to win a fight and the huge number
>of things that can go wrong in a fight, I don't get too upset
>at fighters fighting a 'boring' fight if it leads them to a
>victory. It's a shame that the UFC's dollars are mainly tied
>to PPV numbers and the fact Dana White is a scumbag that
>trashes fighters that fight smart and safe. If only the UFC
>fanbase knew how difficult it is the fight smartly and
>correctly, I would hope fan reaction to surface level 'boring'
>fights could change for the better.

navajo joe
Member since Apr 13th 2005
6573 posts
Wed Mar-06-19 02:50 PM

13. "His first fight w/ Wonderboy was awesome"
In response to Reply # 7

I think that fight suffers in people's mind because of the second. But I enjoyed that fight which won Fight of the Night on UFC 205

-------------------------------

A lot of you players ain't okay.

We would have been better off with an okaycivics board instead of an okayactivist board

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2689566 Previous topic | Next topic