Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2683800

Subject: "So I guess the next cba is gonna have a patrick mccaw clause" Previous topic | Next topic
Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59169 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 08:08 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"So I guess the next cba is gonna have a patrick mccaw clause"

https://deadspin.com/the-patrick-mccaw-holdout-saga-keeps-getting-weirder-1831559301/amp

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
lmao, dan gilbert just wanted to fuck over the warriors. GOOD.
Jan 07th 2019
I didn't think this warranted its own post so I threw it in the Cavs pos...
Jan 07th 2019
I'm confused. Can someone break it down
Jan 07th 2019
no, they absolutely exist...
Jan 07th 2019
      So collusion? Did it as a favor to gs?
Jan 07th 2019
           to be cocksuckers...
Jan 07th 2019
Want to feel bad for him, but don't
Jan 07th 2019
That about sums it up.
Jan 07th 2019
I'll take my L on him
Jan 08th 2019
      He looked promising after his rookie season
Jan 08th 2019
When Dan Gilbert hands you anything with Comic Sans...run!
Jan 07th 2019
kind of reminds me how they changed the CBA
Jan 08th 2019
I'm not buying the Gilbert-did-all-this-to-fuck-GSW conspiracy.
Jan 08th 2019
It would be a really stupid "conspiracy" if so.
Jan 08th 2019
I thought this was done to benefit mccraw
Jan 08th 2019
      Warriors still could have matched the Cavs offer for essentially nothing
Jan 08th 2019
      Right, he knew dubs wasnt gonna match tho
Jan 09th 2019
           That wasn't what happened though
Jan 09th 2019
                Never said that it was his plan all along.
Jan 09th 2019
      ... why would he want this? He was getting *zero* offers.
Jan 09th 2019
           Is it better to be a restricted fagent or unrestricted
Jan 09th 2019
                IT'S MCCAW.
Jan 10th 2019
                     I think you're missing something
Jan 10th 2019
                          I'm not missing it, I just think it's weird.
Jan 10th 2019
                               Being an unrestricted free agent>>than restricted
Jan 10th 2019
                                    I feel having multi-year deals >>> 1 year vet minimum deals.
Jan 14th 2019
guess GS does care...
Jan 08th 2019
Is $800K worth playing in CLE instead of GSW?
Jan 08th 2019
he wasn't trying to stay over there, though
Jan 08th 2019
      GSW could have matched...the move wasn't completely by his choice
Jan 08th 2019
Here for the comedy, but...
Jan 09th 2019
y'all mad, btw
Jan 09th 2019
We The North
Jan 09th 2019
1 year vet min. Likely for fewer minutes than he'd play in Golden State.
Jan 10th 2019
thank you Toronto.
Jan 10th 2019
Shams Dogg: 'NBA sez Cavs Not Guilty'
Jan 14th 2019
RE: Shams Dogg: 'NBA sez Cavs Not Guilty'
Jan 14th 2019

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 08:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "lmao, dan gilbert just wanted to fuck over the warriors. GOOD."
In response to Reply # 0

if pat mccaw don't want an owner

all up in the videoooooooooooooos

come to Philly!!

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 11:47 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "I didn't think this warranted its own post so I threw it in the Cavs pos..."
In response to Reply # 1

but he is the most hilarious acquisition of all time

calminvasion
Charter member
12573 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 08:59 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "I'm confused. Can someone break it down"
In response to Reply # 0

Is the loop hole that cle signed him to a non-guaranteed contract?
.I thought those didn't exist in NBA

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 09:08 PM

3. "no, they absolutely exist..."
In response to Reply # 2

the issue is that Cleveland skeevily signed him to an offer sheet they knew GS wouldn’t match, then waived him almost instantly, before the deadline to do so...essentially making him an unrestricted fagent and relieving GS of the rights to him.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

calminvasion
Charter member
12573 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 09:34 PM

4. "So collusion? Did it as a favor to gs?"
In response to Reply # 3
Mon Jan-07-19 09:34 PM by calminvasion

What was in it for cavs?

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 09:39 PM

5. "to be cocksuckers..."
In response to Reply # 4

and also now they can offer him less than the 2/6mil they originally did. GS doesn’t get to match, now. They waived him and are now interested in signing him back. Of course Gilbert would want to fuck with the Warriors.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 09:46 PM

6. "Want to feel bad for him, but don't"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jan-07-19 09:54 PM by mrhood75

Could have signed a 2-year, $5.2 million contract with us, but ended up as a pawn for Gilbert weird "revenge" scheme that the Warriors don't really care about. Whole thing was dumb on McCaw's part, because it wasn't like teams were beating down his door to sign him.

Oh well, McKinnie is better anyway.

EDITED for types

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

Beezo
Charter member
27557 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 09:52 PM

7. "That about sums it up."
In response to Reply # 6

>Could have signed a 2-year, $5.2 million contract with us,
>but ended up as a pawn for Gilbert weird "revenge" scheme that
>the Warriors don't really care about. Whole thing was dumb on
>McCaw's door, because it wasn't like teams were beating down
>his door to sign him.
>
>Oh well, McKinnie is better anyway.

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Tue Jan-08-19 09:41 AM

11. "I'll take my L on him"
In response to Reply # 6

had him pinned as our replacement for Iggy

still wish him well regardless of course

mrhood75
44713 posts
Tue Jan-08-19 12:42 PM

14. "He looked promising after his rookie season"
In response to Reply # 11

But truthfully, even when he wasn't hurt last season he didn't look very good.

If he would have developed, he could have been interesting, but if some other team wants to sign him, that's okay. I really doubt he'll get more than $5.2 million offer he got from us though.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Castro
Charter member
50741 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 10:02 PM

8. "When Dan Gilbert hands you anything with Comic Sans...run!"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Tue Jan-08-19 08:53 AM

10. "kind of reminds me how they changed the CBA"
In response to Reply # 0

because the Cavs traded Zydrunas Ilgauskas to the Wizards who waived him, then they resigned him again in 30 days

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Tue Jan-08-19 12:20 PM

12. "I'm not buying the Gilbert-did-all-this-to-fuck-GSW conspiracy."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-08-19 12:21 PM by Frank Longo

McCaw sat on waivers for two months instead of joining the Warriors. He clearly was over playing there and thought he deserved a bigger deal. And if the Warriors felt they needed him, they'd have negotiated with him further, but they were willing to let him chill at home. (Plus, if the big narrative people are crafting is the Warriors' "chemistry issues," would adding a bench guy who's pissy about his contract really help that?) So yeah, I don't think the effect on the Warriors was really part of the thought process.

Gilbert DID, however, certainly did this to fuck McCaw out of the guaranteed money from the offer sheet. It'd be one thing if they waived him because they thought he had a shitty attitude and didn't want to play in Cleveland (and no one would blame him for feeling that way)-- but it says they're interested in re-signing him after he clears waivers! That's a pretty transparent move on Gilbert's part. He sees the lack of interest in the dude at the current price point that the Warriors said they'd match, so he gives McCaw a contract above the GSW price point to get McCaw to sign-- then cuts him, avoiding the guaranteed 2-year deal, and will almost certainly offer something less lengthy and/or binding.

Remains to be seen if McCaw will clear waivers without generating other interest-- though considering the NBA had two months to try to beat a 2-year, hair-over-5-mil deal and flatly refused, it seems that he'll be available for Cleveland. Also remains to be seen if McCaw would want to go to Cleveland after this... though I wonder if Gilbert could entice him with a 1-year deal for a higher paycheck this year, with the selling point that he could be a free agent again next season. Maybe McCaw has a change of heart and accepts the Warriors' previous offer if they offer it again.

But yeah, as much as I love petty owner antics, seems more like this is just Gilbert being his usual shitheel self, trying to get a better deal for him than the player's current price.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

mrhood75
44713 posts
Tue Jan-08-19 12:39 PM

13. "It would be a really stupid "conspiracy" if so."
In response to Reply # 12
Tue Jan-08-19 12:39 PM by mrhood75

If the Warriors had wanted him, they would have signed him even a few weeks ago. They figured he was worth $5.2 million over two years. He wanted more, so vaya con dios.

Like most of Gilbert's plan, this one just makes him look petty, cheap, and dumb.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Cenario
59169 posts
Tue Jan-08-19 10:21 PM

18. "I thought this was done to benefit mccraw"
In response to Reply # 12

Now he is unrestricted fagent, which is what he wanted.

Any deal he was likely to get, dubs woulda matched

Now they cant.

Which is why dubs are pissy

Mccraw is in a better position now than he was before.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

mrhood75
44713 posts
Tue Jan-08-19 10:53 PM

20. "Warriors still could have matched the Cavs offer for essentially nothing"
In response to Reply # 18

If they really wanted him on the team, he'd be on the team.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Cenario
59169 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 07:56 AM

24. "Right, he knew dubs wasnt gonna match tho"
In response to Reply # 20

mrhood75
44713 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 06:27 PM

27. "That wasn't what happened though"
In response to Reply # 24
Wed Jan-09-19 06:45 PM by mrhood75

Over the summer/off-season, they offered him $1.7 million for a season. He came back and said he wanted two seasons. So they offered him two years, the second being a team option. Then he came back and said he wanted two years guaranteed. So then they offered him the two-year, $5.2 million deal. All the while, no other team was making him.

If his plan all along was that he wanted to leave, this was sure a dumb way to negotiate it. Especially since the Warriors have never had a problem with players walking away if they can find a better deal. With Kevon Looney, they let him know that they'd be happy to have him back, but they could only afford to pay him $2.2 million. So if he could find a better deal with another team, there wouldn't be any hard feelings. He re-signed with us for the minimum, which is not only less than they could pay him, but less money than they offered McCaw at the minimum. And Looney will probably end up making more than McCaw when he signs somewhere else next season.

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Cenario
59169 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 11:23 PM

28. "Never said that it was his plan all along."
In response to Reply # 27

At this point, what he wanted was unrestricted fagency and he got it.

What his plan was originally...i have no idea, but i agree it aint work.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 01:26 AM

22. "... why would he want this? He was getting *zero* offers."
In response to Reply # 18

>Now he is unrestricted fagent, which is what he wanted.
>
>Any deal he was likely to get, dubs woulda matched

But he got no deal. None whatsoever. Until the Cavs came along two months later!

Why would he expect, "Well, the last two months no one wanted him, but now that I get a grand total of zero guaranteed dollars, the offers will pour in! I'm such a lucky fella!"?

Cenario
59169 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 08:00 AM

25. "Is it better to be a restricted fagent or unrestricted"
In response to Reply # 22

Thats the only change in his situation. Im not saying it was his plan from the start.

Cle basically awarded Mccraw unrestricted fagency. He is in a better situation now than he was before.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Thu Jan-10-19 01:34 AM

29. "IT'S MCCAW."
In response to Reply # 25

(sorry, that's been killing me in this post, lol.)

I don't see how being unrestricted helps him. He was unwilling to sign a 2-yr, 5ish mil deal for guaranteed money and a grand total of 0 teams were offering more.

Does he now suddenly want to play for a worse contract?

Rjcc
Charter member
94962 posts
Thu Jan-10-19 03:09 AM

30. "I think you're missing something"
In response to Reply # 29

he might just not want to play for the Warriors at all.

being a restricted FA meant someone would have had to tie up their cap space while waiting for the warriors to match so he couldn't get an offer even if a slightly better one was maybe out there (whether it was or not, if he thought it was that's enough)

so maybe he did just want off their roster by whatever means necessary.

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Thu Jan-10-19 03:30 AM

31. "I'm not missing it, I just think it's weird."
In response to Reply # 30

I don't know why the Warriors kept saying they'd match his offers if he'd made it known he didn't want to be there. He's not remotely good enough to keep his deal just to keep him out of the hands of others-- as evidenced by the zero offers he received the first two months of the season.

Now he's playing for the Raps for a 1 year vet minimum, on a roster where I can't imagine he'll be topping the 17 MPG he was getting in Golden State.

Maybe it was some personal shit, I reckon that's a possibility. That makes people do weird things. I just don't know why the Warriors would've kept saying they'd want him back if he was like, "Nah, I don't want to come back under any circumstances."

Cenario
59169 posts
Thu Jan-10-19 07:52 AM

34. "Being an unrestricted free agent>>than restricted"
In response to Reply # 31

Its as simple as that.

You're overcomplicating it

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Mon Jan-14-19 06:25 PM

37. "I feel having multi-year deals >>> 1 year vet minimum deals."
In response to Reply # 34

But that's just me, apparently!

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Tue Jan-08-19 06:08 PM

15. "guess GS does care..."
In response to Reply # 0
Tue Jan-08-19 06:08 PM by Dstl1

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1082773964303360001

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Tue Jan-08-19 07:50 PM

16. "Is $800K worth playing in CLE instead of GSW?"
In response to Reply # 0

Not to mention he's already acclimated to the GSW team and community

I would have stayed in GSW for $800K less

...if not for the above, just to avoid Gilbert...

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Tue Jan-08-19 08:13 PM

17. "he wasn't trying to stay over there, though"
In response to Reply # 16

is Philly able to pick him up?

bentagain
16595 posts
Tue Jan-08-19 10:31 PM

19. "GSW could have matched...the move wasn't completely by his choice "
In response to Reply # 17

IDK a whole lot about the regulations surrounding this example...but it's being made to sound he's on the waiver wire

So any team can pick him up...I guess

But who'd want to put their franchise in this mess halfway through the season...for a 8-9th guy off the bench?

I think the 6ers just filled their last roster spot too...

If he doesn't go back to GSW...I wouldn't expect him to get picked up

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 12:36 AM

21. "Here for the comedy, but..."
In response to Reply # 0

I don't remember if it was mentioned already but the Warriors would have to pay $11M more than his new salary because that new contract would count against the luxury tax.

Maybe McCaw is worth the $2M to the Dubs but not the additional $11M to keep him?

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 07:09 AM

23. "y'all mad, btw"
In response to Reply # 0

imagine being the darlings of the NBA and yet butthurt enough to investigate a case of "collusion" over a guy you didn't want to re-up in the first place.

but because "Comic Sans" and the 2010 LeFail, this is a story, lol. the "fucking over the Warriors" angle was funny but all they had to do was match. it makes 0 sense for the Cavs specifically to do this guy a favor to get into RFA, because what do they get out of this? no picks, I guess nominal cap room. Cavs have been signing and waiving guards since JR decided he wasn't going to be a member of the team this year and people have been injured.

if Silver decides he's going to make this a "thing" because Basketball Bobby Kraft's cheeks are singed, I'm done

Beezo
Charter member
27557 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 05:45 PM

26. "We The North"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1083121287055228937?s=21

<---
Fuck a sig, my presence is enough.

Frank Longo
86670 posts
Thu Jan-10-19 03:33 AM

32. "1 year vet min. Likely for fewer minutes than he'd play in Golden State."
In response to Reply # 26

Guess he really, really didn't want to go back to Golden State. *shrug*

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Thu Jan-10-19 06:22 AM

33. "thank you Toronto."
In response to Reply # 26

Dr Claw
132214 posts
Mon Jan-14-19 04:28 PM

35. "Shams Dogg: 'NBA sez Cavs Not Guilty'"
In response to Reply # 0

FUCK YOU GOLDEN TAINT
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1084901373047697409

bentagain
16595 posts
Mon Jan-14-19 05:57 PM

36. "RE: Shams Dogg: 'NBA sez Cavs Not Guilty'"
In response to Reply # 35

"The Cavs could have forfeited a draft pick had they been found guilty of any offenses."

Imgaine losing out on a tank for Zion season...for Patrick McCaw

The Cavs are such a shit organization, I really want that to happen

APPEAL!

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2683800 Previous topic | Next topic