Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2683697

Subject: "Thibs gone..." Previous topic | Next topic
Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Sun Jan-06-19 07:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Thibs gone..."

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1082067691366580225

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
After a win lol
Jan 06th 2019
He still had the starters in, with 4 minutes left, up 20+
Jan 06th 2019
      Ha ha ha.
Jan 06th 2019
      In my headcanon, that was the final straw
Jan 06th 2019
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1082068899275907072
Jan 06th 2019
but why
Jan 07th 2019
Even if they don't make the playoffs, this season is a success.
Jan 06th 2019
I'm partying right now
Jan 06th 2019
      Same. When I saw his name trending I was prepared for bullshit...
Jan 06th 2019
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I can't wait until the stories come out
Jan 06th 2019
I saw they were considering Hoiberg for GM too.
Jan 06th 2019
Yeah, I don't want Hoiberg either. He's proved to be some trash.
Jan 06th 2019
*record scratch* LAY-DEN, Lord of Blunder?!
Jan 07th 2019
hope they hire Hoiberg
Jan 07th 2019
He’d be better/more proven than most of the UCLA names.
Jan 07th 2019
Cool, so Tyrone Lue getting a GM/Coaching combo job?
Jan 07th 2019
Nobody wants another coach/GM hybrid at all
Jan 07th 2019
don't want him at UCLA, couldn't care less if he ran MIN into the ground
Jan 07th 2019
Looks like it could be Hoiberg/Chauncey...
Jan 07th 2019
Ah yes the winning formula of the Chicago Bulls
Jan 07th 2019
      guys, Kungset isn’t advocating for Hoiberg...
Jan 07th 2019
           ah my bad
Jan 07th 2019
Thibs Last Day (Swipe from The Athletic)
Jan 07th 2019
Not @ you at all... But how do we feel about swipes from
Jan 07th 2019
      RE: Not @ you at all... But how do we feel about swipes from
Jan 08th 2019
      I am not entirely sure myself
Jan 09th 2019
           That's cool. Especially since you're a subscriber
Jan 09th 2019
no jim... no thibs...
Jan 09th 2019
KAT's been playing the best he has in his career since the trade
Jan 09th 2019
Veteran broadcaster Jim Peterson had some time this morning
Jan 11th 2019
He seems like a miserable human being.
Jan 11th 2019

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Sun Jan-06-19 07:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "After a win lol"
In response to Reply # 0

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Sun Jan-06-19 07:29 PM

3. "He still had the starters in, with 4 minutes left, up 20+"
In response to Reply # 1

>

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

LeroyBumpkin
Charter member
36962 posts
Sun Jan-06-19 07:54 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "Ha ha ha."
In response to Reply # 3

https://digife.com

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Sun Jan-06-19 08:21 PM

8. "In my headcanon, that was the final straw"
In response to Reply # 3

This has been the best three days in the history of the Minnesota Timberwolves. Not really, but maybe top 5.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Sun Jan-06-19 07:26 PM

2. "https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1082068899275907072"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1082068899275907072

mista k5
Member since Feb 01st 2006
16412 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 11:07 AM

20. "but why"
In response to Reply # 2

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Sun Jan-06-19 07:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Even if they don't make the playoffs, this season is a success."
In response to Reply # 0

Jimmy gone. Thibs gone.

Start from scratch.

<---https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DL9AVTQ

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Sun Jan-06-19 08:15 PM

6. "I'm partying right now"
In response to Reply # 4

Can't believe this really happened

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Sun Jan-06-19 08:46 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Same. When I saw his name trending I was prepared for bullshit..."
In response to Reply # 6

like he barrel rolled into KAT's knew after the game because he didn't get a defensive rebound or he called Wiggins a "fairy" like Archie Bunker or some shit.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Sun Jan-06-19 08:20 PM

7. "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I can't wait until the stories come out"
In response to Reply # 0

There's gotta be something crazy behind the scenes.

From what they've said so far, Ryan Saunders is interim coach and Layden is staying as GM. Though I'm sure Fred Hoiberg's going to be offered one of these two jobs this spring. Maybe Saunders can prove himself as a capable head coach. Once Covington gets back, we can maybe see what there is and what needs to stay and what can go in the offseason.

So happy for KAT's knees.

------

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Sun Jan-06-19 08:48 PM

10. "I saw they were considering Hoiberg for GM too."
In response to Reply # 7

I didn't realize he had experience as the assistant GM in Minnesota before. No wonder he's cooled on the prospect of going back to college, he thinks he can land a fucking GM job, lol.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Sun Jan-06-19 09:23 PM

11. "Yeah, I don't want Hoiberg either. He's proved to be some trash."
In response to Reply # 7

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 02:40 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
23. "*record scratch* LAY-DEN, Lord of Blunder?!"
In response to Reply # 7

>From what they've said so far, Ryan Saunders is interim coach
>and Layden is staying as GM.

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 12:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "hope they hire Hoiberg"
In response to Reply # 0

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86670 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 02:04 AM

13. "He’d be better/more proven than most of the UCLA names."
In response to Reply # 12

He’s def more proven than Musselman imo, he’s easily higher ceiling than Dixon, Watson is a mystery, and I’m not convinced guys like Donovan will take pay cuts to come to UCLA.

But it seems Hoi isn’t interested in returning to college, so you may get your wish.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 08:41 AM

14. "Cool, so Tyrone Lue getting a GM/Coaching combo job? "

What Hoiberg done to display FRONT OFFICE
prowess? He ran the damn Bulls into the
ground as a COACH

What gives?

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 09:21 AM

15. "Nobody wants another coach/GM hybrid at all"
In response to Reply # 14

------

Kungset
Member since Mar 29th 2004
6426 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 10:47 AM

18. "don't want him at UCLA, couldn't care less if he ran MIN into the ground"
In response to Reply # 14

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 09:23 AM

16. "Looks like it could be Hoiberg/Chauncey..."

alone or as a combo.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4872 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 11:06 AM

19. "Ah yes the winning formula of the Chicago Bulls"

It’s worked out so well for the wolves up
to this point.

What’s with the Wolves franchise/fans wanting
the sloppy seconds of a dumpster fire org?

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 12:01 PM

21. "guys, Kungset isn’t advocating for Hoiberg..."
In response to Reply # 19

he just doesn’t want UCLA to hire him.

Stadiq
Member since Dec 21st 2005
4872 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 01:29 PM

22. "ah my bad"
In response to Reply # 21

Still crazy its even a possibility...

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 09:39 AM

17. "Thibs Last Day (Swipe from The Athletic)"
In response to Reply # 0

LMAO at everyone finding out afterwards at TopGolf.

https://theathletic.com/752520/2019/01/07/tom-thibodeau-fired-timberwolves-glen-taylor-ryan-saunders-karl-anthony-towns/

Tom Thibodeau’s last day in Minnesota was his easiest, until it wasn’t
Jon Krawczynski

Nothing​ was easy in Tom Thibodeau’s​ 2 1/2​ seasons on​ the​ job​ in​ Minnesota.​ Not the run to the​​ Timberwolves’ first postseason in 14 years, not his hold on the administrative side of things with his title as president of basketball operations, not even the reunion with his pride-and-joy Jimmy Butler in a blockbuster trade.

Then came Sunday against the Los Angeles Lakers. No LeBron James, no Kyle Kuzma, no Rajon Rondo. And the Wolves just breezed through it, 108-86. Easy like Sunday morning.

After the game, Thibodeau laughed and joked with the media in his postgame remarks. Players in a jovial locker room cleared out quickly, another team outing at Topgolf being discussed to keep the good feelings rolling. Thibs walked out of the press conference room, down eight steps and across the hall to his office at Target Center, smiling as 98-year-old Star Tribune columnist Sid Hartman followed behind with a walker that he wields like a weapon, preparing for another one-on-one interview with the coach.

Everyone knew Thibodeau was on the hot seat after Butler’s tenure here ended with such spectacular dysfunction and the coach alienated himself from others in the organization with an isolationist approach. But with owner Glen Taylor watching from his home in Florida rather than his normal courtside seat next to the Wolves bench, and the team disemboweling a lifeless Lakers squad for their second straight victory, few in the arena expected the hammer to drop on Sunday night.

The door closed behind Thibodeau and players started to filter out of the locker room. Just outside of the coach’s room, Tyus Jones took pictures with some fans who were allowed backstage. Karl-Anthony Towns emerged to meet his father and talk with minority owner Mayer Orbach, a growing presence in the franchise’s operations.

Lingering to the side were GM Scott Layden and CEO Ethan Casson, not a terribly unusual sight, especially considering that Derrick Rose was meeting with Hunter Simmons, an 18-year-old living with leukemia who chose Rose as part of a Make-A-Wish event.

Layden was in lock-step with Thibodeau throughout the last two-plus years after coming from San Antonio with Thibodeau’s blessing. They are very close, operate with the same guarded and serious-minded approach, and share a philosophy on how to build a team and develop a roster.

Casson was hired to head the business and marketing side of the operation after Thibodeau came aboard. He is big on collaboration and innovation, and Thibodeau’s long-running insistence on focusing strictly on the basketball side of the equation did not mesh well with a marketing side that needed to open more doors in a crowded sports market.

Roughly 30 minutes after the game ended, Layden and Casson walked into the office to deliver the news. With the Wolves’ record at 19-21 (15-12 since Butler was traded in November), Thibodeau and assistant Andy Greer were fired. Ryan Saunders, son of the late Flip Saunders, was named interim coach with Layden given the primary duties in the front office.

“Stunned,” one player told The Athletic.

“No idea this was coming,” another said. “None.”

That it came after such an overpowering victory, the Wolves’ second straight at home, was a surprise to some. But in the end, it was the ultimate message: this was about more than wins and losses. It was a belief that there were larger issues at play, deeper rooted and more ingrained, that needed to be changed. And there was a belief that with the Wolves in 11th place in the Western Conference at the season’s midpoint, and fans booing every time his name was announced before a game, it couldn’t wait until the end of the season.

Thibodeau’s volatile demeanor on the sideline and closed-off approach in the community made him an unpopular figure in the Twin Cities. And with attendance declining at an alarming rate — the Wolves were 29th in home attendance this season after being 21st last year — there was little hope that an upcoming season-ticket renewal campaign with Thibodeau remaining as a primary figure in the organization would generate even a smidgen of interest to the public.

He also frustrated some players with a lack of communication and a preference to play his starters heavy minutes, and the pot was showing signs of boiling over. After a win over Orlando on Friday night, backup center Gorgui Dieng was openly seething in the locker room and had to be calmed down by Derrick Rose. Tyus Jones, Anthony Tolliver and Jeff Teague are among others who have had their concerns.

But in the end, the biggest argument for parting ways with Thibodeau came during Butler’s incredibly messy exit. Thibodeau convinced Taylor to part with up-and-coming youngster Zach LaVine and former lottery pick Kris Dunn to land Butler as part of a massive makeover that turned a team light on experience into a much older, more battle-tested group.

Taj Gibson, Rose and Luol Deng brought even more Chicago tough to the land of Minnesota Nice, and the Teague for Ricky Rubio swap was another one that had to be sold to Taylor. It yielded 47 wins and the first playoff appearance since 2004 in its first season, but chemistry issues were there from the start.

Then Butler requested a trade a week before training camp, sat out most of the preseason and was a distracting and toxic presence during the early portion of the regular season. Through it all, Thibodeau dismissed any concerns about the situation, saying that his players were professionals and none of that played into the team’s woeful performance on the court. For a coach known for saying that “it’s not your words I listen to, it’s your actions,” allowing Butler to run roughshod over the organization, practice when he wanted to practice and play when he wanted to play, severely damaged his ability to lead going forward.

Butler finally forced Thibodeau to trade him after an 0-5 West Coast trip in early November. He was shipped to Philadelphia with Justin Patton for Dario Saric, Robert Covington and Jerryd Bayless. After a 9-3 start post-Butler gave the Wolves a glimmer of hope, they have cooled off (6-9) amid injuries to Rose, Teague and Covington.

Ugly losses on the road to Phoenix and New Orleans without Anthony Davis, and at home to Detroit and Atlanta, only greased the wheels that were already in motion. Thibodeau tried to make in-roads in communication with Taylor as the season progressed and with other members of the organization that were previously frozen out over the summer, but it was too late.

“These decisions are never easy to make, but we felt them necessary to move our organization forward,” Taylor said in a statement issued by the team.

As for Towns, who told The Athletic in October that “Thibs and I may not see eye-to-eye every day, but the one thing I know is we have tremendous respect for each other,” that remained this late into the season, sources said. The two joked and laughed during a practice on Saturday and Towns has been playing the best basketball of his career over the last six games in an effort to get the Wolves back into playoff contention.

That Taylor chose to have Casson and Layden deliver the news was just the latest sign of a disconnect between owner and coach that has been there from the start. The owner who prefers to have a close relationship with his coach and the coach who has never been the warmest and fuzziest of men was a mismatch from the start. And now Taylor is turning to the 32-year-old Saunders to try to get things going.

Saunders was the only holdover from the staff before Thibodeau arrived, a stipulation initially made by Taylor. But Thibodeau and Saunders soon bonded, two basketball junkies devoted and obsessed with the craft. Though Thibodeau was essentially replacing his father and did ruffle some feathers with a grumpy demeanor that was the opposite of the outgoing and gregarious Flip, Ryan dutifully backed Thibodeau through all of the ups and downs.

Ryan Saunders has long felt a connection to the franchise that his father helped turn into a relevant one with Kevin Garnett and was working to rebuild when he died from complications from lymphoma in 2015. Ryan has long had ambitions to be a head coach in the NBA, just like dad, and now he’s getting his chance, albeit under adverse circumstances.

Players have respected Saunders’ work ethic and approachable nature, and he will enter his first head-coaching position with their respect and backing.

“He’s our captain now,” one player texted.

He is going to get a chance to win the permanent job, with sources telling The Athletic that Fred Hoiberg, who was fired by the Bulls earlier this season and previously played for the Wolves and worked in their front office, is not an immediate candidate for the coaching or president’s job. Layden will be given every opportunity to stay on as well, but a playoff berth may be necessary to ensure that happens, sources said.

The Timberwolves will also consider adding an assistant coach with head-coaching experience to help Saunders navigate the tricky path ahead, sources said.

Thibodeau leaves with a 97-107 mark for the Wolves, and now they turn the page. Saunders’ first game comes on Tuesday at Oklahoma City, where the Thunder will be looking to avenge a loss to the Wolves on Dec. 23.

All of the wins, all of the losses, all of the interactions and communications, it all felt so difficult while Thibodeau was lording over the franchise.

In that way, it’s almost fitting that the easiest day the Timberwolves have had in quite some time turned out to be the hardest one for Tom Thibodeau.

------

calminvasion
Charter member
12573 posts
Mon Jan-07-19 03:52 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
24. "Not @ you at all... But how do we feel about swipes from"
In response to Reply # 17

THE Athletic?

I'm never going to subscribe, and I would solicit and happily read any ESPN.com swipes.

But I kinda like what they are trying to do, even if I'm pretty sure it will fail?

Genuine questions really for the broader group

That said thanks for the swipe

obsidianchrysalis
Member since Jan 29th 2003
8747 posts
Tue Jan-08-19 12:49 AM

25. "RE: Not @ you at all... But how do we feel about swipes from"
In response to Reply # 24

>THE Athletic?
>
>I'm never going to subscribe, and I would solicit and happily
>read any ESPN.com swipes.
>
>But I kinda like what they are trying to do, even if I'm
>pretty sure it will fail?
>
>Genuine questions really for the broader group
>
>That said thanks for the swipe

I'm a subscriber (the best $30 I've spent on sports in a while).

But I don't plan on swiping content from them, if only because swiping cuts into their business model. I really like the writing on the app and while it's cliche to 'support a brand', I would like the model to succeed, if only because companies like The Athletic can continue to focus on journalism.

I posted a link once but I was also concerned that posting the article might get the Boards flagged by The Athletic. I don't know if their content is protected against public sharing.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 11:15 AM

28. "I am not entirely sure myself"
In response to Reply # 24

I also like The Athletic and think subscribing is definitely worth it, anyone who can should do so. I know in the past people have swiped ESPN Insider articles and posted them, and those are also subscription only. But that's also ESPN, I guess that can be rationalized by them being the unquestioned kings of the sports media landscape. Kinda like shoplifting from Wal-Mart vs a local store.

I don't plan on making a habit of swiping too many Athletic articles, and if the mods say we can't do it, that's fine.

------

calminvasion
Charter member
12573 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 11:41 AM

29. "That's cool. Especially since you're a subscriber"
In response to Reply # 28

And as slow as traffic is here, it will not be read by many.

Yeah I was just making the distinction that when it came to ESPN swipes I had no issue or hesitation whatsoever.

Maybe I will look at signing up myself

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 10:38 AM

26. "no jim... no thibs..."
In response to Reply # 0

my dogg RBO running out of scapegoats.

i guess next he'll be blaming KAT's inability to lead a team anywhere on morris and jerome or some shit.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Jan-09-19 11:10 AM

27. "KAT's been playing the best he has in his career since the trade"
In response to Reply # 26

Wiggins just had the best game of his season under Infant Coach Ryan Saunders in a road win over OKC.

This team's not making the playoffs this year, but where are we getting this perception that the team needs those two to be successful?

------

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 09:21 AM

30. "Veteran broadcaster Jim Peterson had some time this morning"
In response to Reply # 0

http://www.1500espn.com/raised-by-wolves-2/2019/01/jim-pete-thibs-whats-next-wolves-ep-149/

"Traumatic era"
"Difficult 3 years"
"When he was let go, I felt like a bunch of people got out of prison"
"I don't have any sympathy for someone who treats people so poorly"
"Treated long-time members of the organization like crap" (specifically mentioned Director of Security, broadcasters, most behind the scenes staffers.) Apparently Thibs was paranoid his assistants might be leaking information to the broadcasting team, which is wild considering how homeriffic they usually are.

He also refused to talk to certain players (names Tyus Jones specifically) that he wouldn't talk to personally and refused to say even cursory positive things about.

Made zero effort to try and even be decent to anyone who didn't come over from Chicago and had no problem alienating everyone else. Also brings up the fact that Thibs has no idea how to build up a young team, as he never had to do in Chicago.

Now I'm mad this didn't happen as soon as the Butler trade was finalized.

------

TheRealBillyOcean
Charter member
38224 posts
Fri Jan-11-19 09:25 AM

31. "He seems like a miserable human being."
In response to Reply # 30

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2683697 Previous topic | Next topic