Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2678434

Subject: "GRAND CLOSING: Myles on a Hibbert regression curve. Domantas just better" Previous topic | Next topic
40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Sat Nov-10-18 08:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"GRAND CLOSING: Myles on a Hibbert regression curve. Domantas just better"

Only a matter of time before Nate throw that big backsliding bamma in the bushes like Ba did.

Oh, and Domantas really good.

http://paceandspacehoops.com/the-star-turn-of-domantas-sabonis/

The Star Turn of Domantas Sabonis
November 6, 2018 - by Fox Doucette

The Indiana Pacers are a little too prone to putting their money in the wrong place in trying to find an explanation for their breakout into the NBA’s upper echelon since Paul George left.

First it was a four-year extension for Nate McMillan, the second-worst case in the league (behind Tom Thibodeau in Minnesota) of a team that should’ve made a coaching change instead rewarding the guy who took them to the playoffs. Indiana going 48-34 is why they didn’t blow up the sideline and hire Mike Budenholzer (go ahead, imagine a team that’s been as good from beyond the arc as the Pacers having a shot chart like the ones the Bucks put up every time out.)

Then it was throwing $72 million at Myles Turner.

And while I’m OK with the Turner extension in principle, a solid 22-year-old who is an excellent defender getting a contract that, by the time it kicks in next year, won’t be in the top 50 salaries in the league, the simple fact is that if you look at the roster and the who’s-playing-crunch-time considerations, the Pacers paid the wrong guy.

Because Domantas Sabonis is the true star in the making in Indiana.

How insane has the Lithuanian been this season so far?

How about a 27.6 PER, .729 TS% that leads the entire goddamn NBA, .290 WS/48, 7.4 BPM (5.0 offensive/2.4 defensive), and 0.6 VORP?

Those are superstar numbers. And yes, it’s 10 games, none of which Sabonis started, but dear gods, how good does a guy have to get before you realize he’s better at basketball than the guy who’s starting?

Turner, in those same Big 5 advanced stats:

He’s posting a 16.2 PER, .557 True Shooting, .104 WS/48, -1.9/3.5/1.6 BPM splits, and 0.3 VORP.

Now granted, what we have established here is that Turner doesn’t suck, and he’s a better defender than Sabonis, but Turner has a disastrous 10.6 rebounding percentage that wouldn’t be particularly good if he were a guard.

Sabonis, meanwhile, is posting a 21.4 rebounding percentage, exactly the kind of thing that, at minimum, should’ve gotten him the start against Houston, where minimizing the impact at the rim of Clint Capela (who, oh by the way, threw down alley-oops like he and Chris Paul were goofing around in practice together pretending they were the 2015 Clippers) might’ve flipped the script on Houston’s 98-94 win over the Pacers. Combine Sabonis with Kyle O’Quinn and you could probably slow Andre Drummond down in Detroit, but Nate can’t think that far outside the box to figure out a way to involve them in the offense.

The incident where Turner couldn’t hold onto a rebound and Roberto Duran Hands of Stone’d it off the leg of Doug McDermott was just embarrassing.

There’s no way to sugarcoat this. The best player on the Pacers not named Victor Oladipo is the sixth man.

Now, given, this is me getting pissy about a team that is 7-4, on a 53-29 pace record-wise, and owners of a +4.3 point differential and, thanks to their snail-like pace (96.2, second-slowest in the league, and there’s the Mike Fratello impression we all knew Nate had in him), owners of a +4.5 Net Rating.

That point differential projects them at…53 wins! Imagine that. This team is what it is, and what it is just happens to be seriously good.

But at the same time, we’re watching an above-average, worth $18 million but far from a superstar center starting games when an honest-to-gods Sixth Man of the Year is hanging around waiting to come in, shoot 12-of-12, and go for 30 on any given night.

The Pacers have some time to make up their mind about Sabonis. It won’t be until next season that serious discussions about contract extensions start to enter into the conversation, but right now it looks like Sabonis is going to evolve into a superstar, get short-shrifted by the team that coached him into that position, and end up in Portland or something, where Blazers fans will be as in love with Domas as they were when his dad Arvydas Sabonis patrolled the lane in the ’90s.

In the meantime…well, we’ve got one thing going for us, Pacers fans:

He’s not my Domas, he’s not your Domas, he’s our Domas!

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
That paragraph about Nate makes it auto delete
Nov 10th 2018
'cism in indiana? shocking.
Nov 10th 2018
*googles Fox Doucette* ...sees “born in Boston”....
Nov 10th 2018
Dogg... And you got these idiots giving 'em hits
Nov 10th 2018
yeah, straight assholia. Last season should have ended it
Nov 10th 2018
Jesus fucking Christ that’s blatant
Nov 10th 2018
Yeah, that graph took me right out of it immediately.
Nov 10th 2018
lmao!
Nov 10th 2018
      damn I just reread it - my bad y'all.
Nov 13th 2018
He averaging less than 5 rebs man
Nov 10th 2018
All that yoga didn’t put any dog in him
Nov 10th 2018
dude make Eddy Curry look like Moses Malone on the boards
Nov 13th 2018
Damn, pacers fans gotta eat that. Oh well.
Nov 10th 2018
Love Domantas. Always have.
Nov 10th 2018
Loved the young Sabas since day 1 with the Zags. Surprised @ Myles
Nov 11th 2018
He got Mushed.
Nov 13th 2018
***Muttley laugh***
Nov 11th 2018
We gonna talk about him Durant-ing after Ben kicked that ass?
Dec 01st 2019

calminvasion
Charter member
12573 posts
Sat Nov-10-18 08:45 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "That paragraph about Nate makes it auto delete"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat Nov-10-18 08:50 AM by calminvasion

The blatant hate and passionate distaste these crackers go at any and all black coaches with is sickening.

No one read that shit

As a life long pacers fan Nate is as good as Any coach we've had in a long time

Just link breibert next time

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Sat Nov-10-18 09:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "'cism in indiana? shocking."
In response to Reply # 1

myles still some shit.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18628 posts
Sat Nov-10-18 09:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "*googles Fox Doucette* ...sees “born in Boston”...."
In response to Reply # 1

sees this picture....https://www.westernjournal.com/wc/author/fdoucette/

That guy wants Nate McMillan fired after a shocking 48 win season when they were supposed to be one of the worst teams in the East? You don’t say.

calminvasion
Charter member
12573 posts
Sat Nov-10-18 10:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
4. "Dogg... And you got these idiots giving 'em hits"
In response to Reply # 3

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Sat Nov-10-18 01:20 PM

10. "yeah, straight assholia. Last season should have ended it"
In response to Reply # 3

the only reason the Pacers lost that playoff series was LeBron. The only reason.

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Sat Nov-10-18 11:37 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "Jesus fucking Christ that’s blatant"
In response to Reply # 1

Nate won at least ten more games than anyone expected and oversaw dipo’s star turn, and this the motherfucking thanks he gets?

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

mrhood75
Member since Dec 06th 2004
44713 posts
Sat Nov-10-18 01:26 PM

11. "Yeah, that graph took me right out of it immediately. "
In response to Reply # 1

-----------------

www.albumism.com

Checkin' Our Style, Return To Zero:

https://www.mixcloud.com/returntozero/

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Sat Nov-10-18 01:32 PM

12. "lmao!"
In response to Reply # 1

"Combine Sabonis with Kyle O’Quinn and you could probably slow Andre Drummond down in Detroit, but Nate can’t think that far outside the box to figure out a way to involve them in the offense."

yeah, fuck this dude.

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Tue Nov-13-18 03:16 AM

15. "damn I just reread it - my bad y'all."
In response to Reply # 12
Tue Nov-13-18 03:18 AM by 40thStreetBlack

i was just looking for a sabonis vs turner article to post and score some quick agenda points and this the first joint that popped up, wasn't even paying attention to anything in there beyond that. reading it again... yuck. shame on me, should've thought that through before posting that. sorry about that fellas.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59176 posts
Sat Nov-10-18 10:54 AM

5. "He averaging less than 5 rebs man"
In response to Reply # 0

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

DJR
Member since Jan 01st 2005
18628 posts
Sat Nov-10-18 11:15 AM

6. "All that yoga didn’t put any dog in him"
In response to Reply # 5

I’m shocked.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Tue Nov-13-18 03:22 AM

17. "dude make Eddy Curry look like Moses Malone on the boards"
In response to Reply # 5

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Basaglia
Member since Nov 30th 2004
49463 posts
Sat Nov-10-18 11:49 AM

8. "Damn, pacers fans gotta eat that. Oh well. "
In response to Reply # 0

Steph: I was just fooling about

Kyrie: I wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8OWNspU_yE

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86671 posts
Sat Nov-10-18 12:21 PM

9. "Love Domantas. Always have. "
In response to Reply # 0

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2541253&mesg_id=2541253&listing_type=search#2541269

Just a smart, hard-working player with real skill. Happy to see him really start to shine.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sun Nov-11-18 05:22 PM

13. "Loved the young Sabas since day 1 with the Zags. Surprised @ Myles"
In response to Reply # 0

Crazy that he has regressed this young. At least with Hibbert it was easy to see how.

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27109 posts
Tue Nov-13-18 03:21 AM

16. "He got Mushed."
In response to Reply # 13

>Crazy that he has regressed this young. At least with Hibbert
>it was easy to see how.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Sun Nov-11-18 11:10 PM

14. "***Muttley laugh***"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132214 posts
Sun Dec-01-19 09:18 AM

18. "We gonna talk about him Durant-ing after Ben kicked that ass?"
In response to Reply # 0

and I am as far from anti-Pacer as you get, but Pacer fans are MAD right now

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2678434 Previous topic | Next topic