Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2677168

Subject: "Two big whiffs (Mariota & Winston)?" Previous topic | Next topic
The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 03:15 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Two big whiffs (Mariota & Winston)?"

Are these two pretty much done or will a change of scenery help them? I know the league isn’t crawling with talented QBs but do either of them still have a future? Statistically, here is where they stand:

Mariota
10,506 Passing Yards
61 TDs
39 Ints
87.5 QBR
1,098 Rushing Yards
10 Rushing TDs

Winston
12,817 Passing Yards
75 TDs
54 Ints
86.1 QBR
622 Rushing Yards
9 Rushing TDs

Now, Winston does have 268 more career passing attempts but it’s not like Mariota slings the ball down field.

Looking back on that draft class; there wasn’t a whole lot there regarding quarterbacks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
Mariota landed in one of the worst places he could have
Oct 29th 2018
he's done imo. we ruined any chance he had of being good.
Oct 29th 2018
How do you whiff on 10,500+ passing yards?
Oct 29th 2018
RE: Two big whiffs (Mariota & Winston)?
Oct 29th 2018
not cooked yet
Oct 29th 2018
Winston not going to Stanford = worst decision ever.
Oct 30th 2018
      can’t recommend Bruce Feldman’s “The QB” book enough
Oct 30th 2018
           I mean this did happen......
Oct 30th 2018
                that’s what I’m saying man
Oct 30th 2018
                     I agree with the above, staying in Florida couldnt have helped his situa...
Oct 30th 2018
I love how Alex Smith is the go to for "okay" QB comparisons now
Oct 30th 2018
not at all..
Oct 30th 2018
Agreed on all.
Oct 30th 2018
I don't see it with Winston
Oct 30th 2018
      His confidence is gone...
Oct 30th 2018
      somehow, I think the weight of his position is totally lost on him
Oct 30th 2018
      I just don't ever see him not being careless with the ball...ever...
Oct 30th 2018
      NFL doesn’t give many chances for a Black QB to revive his career
Oct 30th 2018
           Jaguars, Jets, Broncos...
Oct 30th 2018
           regarding your edit...
Oct 30th 2018
                Koetter is probably better suited as a coordinator...
Oct 30th 2018
                Yeah, they fired a perfectly good coach
Oct 31st 2018
                     I disagree...
Oct 31st 2018
           he needs to get far away from florida
Oct 30th 2018
      what he needs is to study up for his CPA or go to law school
Oct 30th 2018
           yea, the idea that he was some type of victim confuses me
Oct 30th 2018
           *Alonzo Mourning agreeing gif*
Oct 30th 2018
      He plays like he talks...
Oct 30th 2018
      He's very accurate. He's just not focused (which is worse)
Oct 31st 2018
           RE: He's very accurate. He's just not focused (which is worse)
Nov 12th 2018
Shannon on Undisputed TALKIN BOUT IT
Oct 31st 2018
Sorry to Marcus Mariota
Nov 12th 2018

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 03:23 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "Mariota landed in one of the worst places he could have"
In response to Reply # 0

I could see him maybe rebounding in a new city with the right coach if he can stay healthy.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

XBL: trkc21
Twitter: @tyrcasey

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85068 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 03:27 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "he's done imo. we ruined any chance he had of being good."
In response to Reply # 1

<--- Big Baller World Order

Kira
Member since Nov 14th 2004
28844 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 04:17 PM

3. "How do you whiff on 10,500+ passing yards?"
In response to Reply # 0

They're okay/serviceable starters in the league. They're Alex Smith pre KC days as far as I'm concerned. Give them the right coach, the right system, with enough patience and support. Jameis has off the field issues so he's probably done in Tampa after this year but Marcus is solid.

I can 10 qbs in a similar mold that flamed out before hitting 8,500 yards passing.

COOLEHMAGAZINE
Member since May 22nd 2007
5563 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 05:04 PM

4. "RE: Two big whiffs (Mariota & Winston)?"
In response to Reply # 0

Mariota is still a bit of enigma, because of the situation in Tennessee since he got there and his injuries.

Winston seems clearer;

Off the field he is a guy who might be out the league in two years, or might get it together.

On the field his floor is probably Rex Grossman and his ceiling is Jay Cutler. He can start in this league but may not be able to keep his job unless he is on the right team, and he likely will never be on the right team, because of his inconsistency. The "right team" has their QB already, and they don't get Jay Cutler to be his backup, they get guys like Nick Foles and Tyrod Taylor.

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos

http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/

will_5198
Charter member
63108 posts
Mon Oct-29-18 08:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "not cooked yet"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Oct-29-18 08:31 PM by will_5198

Winston reminds me that careless quarterbacks in college are usually that way in the NFL. great arm talent and he's only 24 years old, but his decisions on and off the field indicate a guy that has zero maturity to be a pro. staying in Florida was probably the worse situation he could've been in -- not to excuse him, just saying it was another bad element. he has lots of healthy years though, so if he's ever honest with himself he could be right back in the starting QB mix.

Mariota is also just 26 so there could be a revival for him in a different situation. on one hand Tennessee's offensive coaching was abysmal for most of his career. on the other hand, playing in Nashville is probably the most stress-free place in the NFL and seems to fit his persona. I thought he would turn the corner 2 or 3 times but he has never found consistency.

--------

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 07:33 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "Winston not going to Stanford = worst decision ever. "
In response to Reply # 5

David Shaw said as much, talking about how Jameis
is REALLY a high-achieving nerd, but gave into
cool kid pressure by going to FSU. Titanic mistake.

Strong black coach, and on the heels of the best QB
prospect in a generation (Luck).

Btw: I remember your scouting report on Winston
and it was 1000% right

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18386 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 08:40 AM

8. "can’t recommend Bruce Feldman’s “The QB” book enough "
In response to Reply # 6
Tue Oct-30-18 08:41 AM by Tiger Woods

The book is a deep dive on the position, specifically focused on Elite 11 and the young QB development movement/industry

The way guys like Jordan Palmer and Trent Dilfer talk about a young Jameis is startling. They think he’s THE ONE. He’s talked about the same way Luck was talked about - has it all, can’t miss, a Dude. That he became this is a shame, because everyone with a credible opinion had Jameis picked as the next transcendent QB prospect. I mean before Jameis even picked a college, Dilfer tells him he’s going to compete for multiple National Championships and eventually play on Sundays.

Ceej
Member since Feb 16th 2006
66746 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 08:43 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "I mean this did happen......"
In response to Reply # 8

>, Dilfer tells him he’s going to compete for multiple
>National Championships and eventually play on Sundays.

http://i.imgur.com/vPqCzVU.jpg

Tiger Woods
18386 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 09:13 AM

13. "that’s what I’m saying man"
In response to Reply # 9

Again, Dilfer tells him he’s going to do those things before he’d even picked a school. Point being, the most credible QB whisperers were certain of Jameis’s eventual success.

Ceej
66746 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 09:17 AM

14. "I agree with the above, staying in Florida couldnt have helped his situa..."
In response to Reply # 13

select_from_where
Member since Jan 03rd 2011
4342 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 08:09 AM

7. "I love how Alex Smith is the go to for "okay" QB comparisons now"
In response to Reply # 0

Folks were hopping off that train in the Harbaugh era, now he is everyone's favorite "high floor" player.

Such and such isn't bad, he is alex smith

Dude is better than "high floor" though, as he is now making it work in a SECOND system.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 08:47 AM

10. "not at all.."
In response to Reply # 0

..two talented players, marred by horrible coaching.

*Winston has some character issues, but even that can be managed.

I think they both have what it takes for success in the NFL, just not with their current teams.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

Ceej
66746 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 08:50 AM

11. "Agreed on all. "
In response to Reply # 10

smutsboy
Member since Jun 29th 2002
33301 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 08:57 AM

12. "I don't see it with Winston"
In response to Reply # 10

too inaccurate.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 09:36 AM

15. "His confidence is gone..."
In response to Reply # 12
Tue Oct-30-18 09:41 AM by CyrenYoung

..and he's folding under the pressure.

Sure, he's putting up a good front, but it won't last. Not at this pace.

Some of that's on him (character issues), but I hold the coaches/org responsible as well. They knew what they were getting when they drafted him, but can't seem to manage. Not sure why he's no longer being mentored by Brooks, but they could really use his presence in that locker room.

What he needs more than anything else: discipline & stability.

Winston is polite and likable, but he lacks maturity. If/when he ever truly decides to grow up, he could have an incredible career.

Tiger Woods
18386 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 11:25 AM

16. "somehow, I think the weight of his position is totally lost on him"
In response to Reply # 15

even at Florida State, I don't think he had a sense of just how important he and his position were. You're the starting quarterback for a national title contender at a blueblood program...standing on your table in the cafeteria? Taking food from the grocery store? It's not that he couldn't have gotten away with those things - in the grand scheme of things they're not that big a deal. Rather, the matter is that he doesn't seem to grasp just how big of a deal it is to be a starting quarterback in the first place.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 11:45 AM

17. "I just don't ever see him not being careless with the ball...ever..."

plus, as far as the (right team) thing goes...where does he even go from here? I agree with you 100% that he should not see the field again, this season. Tampa just cannot take the risk of him getting injured. That said, no established teams are going for him...which would probably leave him on a team that's shitty to mediocre...and here we go again. Remember...Tampa fired Lovie because they were so scared they would lose Koetter...and Koetter was supposed to be (at least to some extent) the key to Jameis' success. Maybe Gruden will get him and do some of that QB school bullshit with him like he used to do on ESPN, lol.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 12:27 PM

19. "NFL doesn’t give many chances for a Black QB to revive his career"
In response to Reply # 17

Jacksonville seems like his best chance to start again.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 01:58 PM

20. "Jaguars, Jets, Broncos..."
In response to Reply # 19
Tue Oct-30-18 02:21 PM by CyrenYoung

..hell, even the Giants.

Winston needs a coach and a team willing to recognize that he's not a leader (yet), but can certainly be productive with the right scheme (preferably one that involves a balanced attack, trimming the fat on the passing game). That means he'll need strong veteran support and a staff willing to go the extra mile to help him mature.

There are deals to be made.

*Edit: to be clear, I actually like Winston. The problem is that he's not gonna get much more help in Tampa (coaching-wise), and they're currently wasting a LOT of talent because of it. If they're not gonna take the time to right this ship (from top to bottom), there's no point holding on to him.

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 02:30 PM

22. "regarding your edit..."
In response to Reply # 20
Tue Oct-30-18 04:06 PM by CyrenYoung

that's why I'm so confused/frustrated...Koetter exists in Tampa, SOLELY because he was supposed to be that guy for Winston...was Koetter some shit or Winston just not receptive?

<<<< the Tate-over, ya breaks over

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 04:07 PM

26. "Koetter is probably better suited as a coordinator..."
In response to Reply # 22

..Players like him, but he hasn't found the balance to succeed as a head coach.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Wed Oct-31-18 08:24 AM

28. "Yeah, they fired a perfectly good coach"
In response to Reply # 22

Because it was the only way to ensure that Dirk stayed, because he was THE ONE who could elevate Jameis.

If they're done with Jameis, he's gotta go, too.

------

12 play and 12 planets are enlighten for all the Aliens to Party and free those on the Sex Planet-maxxx

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Wed Oct-31-18 09:28 AM

30. "I disagree..."
In response to Reply # 28

..Lovie Smith was recreating the same problems he had with Cutler.

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85068 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 02:15 PM

21. "he needs to get far away from florida"
In response to Reply # 19

like...Arizona far.

<--- Big Baller World Order

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 02:42 PM

23. "what he needs is to study up for his CPA or go to law school"

foh about jameis being a delicate flower that just needs sunlight to go. he's had every opportunity to succeeed and been laced with receiving talent. he's just bad. he won't get, and won't deserve, anything more than a prove-it second contract, unless the bucs management really is that stupid.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Tiger Woods
18386 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 03:16 PM

24. "yea, the idea that he was some type of victim confuses me"
In response to Reply # 23

in the end, he made a lot of mistakes, not just one, which tells me maybe he's just sort of a dipshit

Dstl1
Charter member
56229 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 03:23 PM

25. "*Alonzo Mourning agreeing gif*"
In response to Reply # 23

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79586 posts
Tue Oct-30-18 12:24 PM

18. "He plays like he talks..."

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Wed Oct-31-18 09:14 AM

29. "He's very accurate. He's just not focused (which is worse) "

It's life shit with Jameis at this point.

Dude just isn't focused.

He was fine as a 20 y/o rookie.

COOLEHMAGAZINE
Member since May 22nd 2007
5563 posts
Mon Nov-12-18 11:55 AM

32. "RE: He's very accurate. He's just not focused (which is worse) "
In response to Reply # 29

No. Inconsistent accuracy and on-field decision making have been a problem his whole career.

Stop with the false narratives.

I don't doubt he has other problems in his life that may be helping his career to crater in this fashion, but he is what he has always been as a player.

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos

http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/

select_from_where
Member since Jan 03rd 2011
4342 posts
Wed Oct-31-18 07:57 AM

27. "Shannon on Undisputed TALKIN BOUT IT "
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Oct-31-18 07:58 AM by select_from_where

https://youtu.be/rnpLD4UtDFk?t=344

No reason lovie should have been booted from tampa

they went with high risk high reward QB and took away the defensive system that is supposed to provide the safety blanket.

Marauder21
Charter member
49516 posts
Mon Nov-12-18 11:34 AM

31. "Sorry to Marcus Mariota"
In response to Reply # 0

He doesn't deserve to be mentioned with that bust.

------

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2677168 Previous topic | Next topic