Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2676513

Subject: "Defense isn't really an emphasis anymore in this league © Draymond" Previous topic | Next topic
RandomFact
Member since Dec 10th 2005
8710 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 02:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Defense isn't really an emphasis anymore in this league © Draymond"

"We were told that"

The amount ticky-tack shit being called so far in just about every game *has* been odd. Aggressiveness on D is essentially punished. Obviously a game ending at 85-80 isn't the best for the league's bottom line, and a new era of consistent 128-120 lines won't have anyone in the league office upset. Will be interesting to see how this plays out though.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25050373/draymond-green-golden-state-warriors-defense-not-emphasis-nba-anymore

DENVER -- Golden State Warriors forward Draymond Green has carved out an All-Star career for himself based largely on his defensive prowess. As he watches scores skyrocket all over the NBA during the first week of the season, Green articulated what many around the league believe.

"It's been called pretty tight," Green said after his team's first loss of the season, a 100-98 defeat to the Denver Nuggets. "We were told that. Defense isn't really an emphasis anymore in this league. So I think you're seeing it all around the league with these high scores. We know what the emphasis is. Just got to be better, and we haven't done that in three games. Maybe we win two of them, but it caught us tonight."

Green and the Warriors weren't using the extra foul calls as an excuse; they were just speaking more about a new reality. After being whistled for 29 fouls and sending the Nuggets to the line 46 times, the Warriors have been called for 81 fouls through the first three games of the season.

Across the league, 10 of 30 teams are giving up at least 120 points per game. Through the end of play on the first Sunday last season, just two teams were giving up 120 on average. The Nuggets are the only team giving up fewer than 100, while every team is scoring at least 100.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm not a fan of the 130PPG trend
Oct 22nd 2018
they'll reel it back over the year
Oct 22nd 2018
it will be
Oct 22nd 2018
Alternative idea: stop fouling.
Oct 22nd 2018
Waaaaaa, I can't be the goon you know and love! © Draymond
Oct 22nd 2018
I’ve watched more full games this year than I watched all last season
Oct 22nd 2018
Trae Young does 35 and 11...someone posts...rookie is for real
Oct 22nd 2018
      Mirotic is two games in.
Oct 23rd 2018
           Thanks Captain Obvious
Oct 23rd 2018

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 02:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "I'm not a fan of the 130PPG trend"
In response to Reply # 0

Feels like about 45minutes of exhibition

3minutes of actual competition...IMO

They're making the regular season into an all-star format

+1, not every team should be as reliant on 3pointers

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85075 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 02:40 PM

2. "they'll reel it back over the year"
In response to Reply # 0

and by the playoffs it'll be business as usual.

<--- Big Baller World Order

RandomFact
Member since Dec 10th 2005
8710 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 03:09 PM

3. "it will be"
In response to Reply # 2

>and by the playoffs it'll be business as usual.

but from a regular season competition standpoint it's a questionable practice. a team without elite firepower trying to grind their way to a lower seed is pretty much shit outta luck.

i mean, i know it's a moot point as long as the warriors have their current core, but there are up and coming teams trying to develop a culture and play respectable defense. those teams will be set back by this.

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 03:27 PM

4. "Alternative idea: stop fouling."
In response to Reply # 0

I love Draymond, but he's fouled a lot without getting called in the past. The best way to avoid sending the other team to the line is to not make illegal contact.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Castro
Charter member
50750 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 03:31 PM

5. "Waaaaaa, I can't be the goon you know and love! © Draymond"
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43353 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 04:56 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "I’ve watched more full games this year than I watched all last season"
In response to Reply # 0

And it’s been entertaining. Honestly I see the data now, but live I didn’t notice egregious calls in any games I watched. The golden state/jazz game for example was a entertaining game -“and no egregious just letting guys have layups.

Someone mentioned it seemed like exhibition, I didn’t notice that. Teams are still trying on defense, but honestly it’s hard (nobody’s figured out the formula yet) to defend space and pace consistently.

Right now it feels hard because for a defense teams are just running downhill at you essentially. I say yet though because like all things— it will get figured out at some point in the not so distant future, and the gme will adapt again.

I grew up in high scoring showtime which became Jordan rules and east coast grind, which transformed to a superstar dominated league with dominant teams with 2+ stars and you have the pistons anomaly butt then you have renegades making their own superteams and the space and pace and analytics ball has been able to neutralize that to some extent— but then you have the best analytics team with the superstars to make an all star game. Is this the final evolution of the game? I think and hope not. Someone smarter than me will figure out some small counters and we’ll shift again

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

bentagain
16595 posts
Mon Oct-22-18 06:03 PM

7. "Trae Young does 35 and 11...someone posts...rookie is for real"
In response to Reply # 6

any other year, I would concur

(not to make this specifically about Trae Young, but that is the example I'm going to use)

BUT

in a game vs potentially worst team in the league CLE sans Bron

in which they gave up 133pts

...puts that performance in a different context IMO...

I mean Kobe's 81 is something our generation can unanimously agree was a tremendous feat

...but if guys like Mirotic, who never averaged more than 20ppg, can put up 30ppg...

feels like we're in an area where individual performances are going to be distorted

and not comparable historically, IMO.

as far as figuring it out

I'm not sure what that looks like, when pull up 3s 3 seconds into the shot clock are acceptable and common place

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Tue Oct-23-18 11:07 AM

8. "Mirotic is two games in."
In response to Reply # 7

You always get weird stat things early in a season.

As far as all the 3-pointers go... yeah, I mean, the stats have been clear for years. Firing more 3s yields more points per game unless you have an obvious and unstoppable post advantage. Even the old-school guys find it impossible to deny anymore. So the trend of teams tossing up a ton of 3s will continue until they move the line back and we need fresh data on the value of the new 3-point shot.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

bentagain
16595 posts
Tue Oct-23-18 12:02 PM

9. "Thanks Captain Obvious"
In response to Reply # 8

The mean is always there, so we'll see how long it takes him to regress

But...

The early breakout last year was Giannis averaging over 35ppg for most of the first half of the season

He eventually regressed...after a full season...to 5th in ppg

Do you have any early breakout references...who ended up not being among the leaders by season's end...?

Anyway...you didn't even address the point of my reply

Historical context

I have a feeling 50pt games are going to be common place if this pace is sustainable

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Basketball_Association_single-game_scoring_leaders

That starts to get close to a very select group of players

I'm just using Mirotic as an example...but you should be able to see his name doesn't fit on that list

(yes, I know he hasn't scored 60pts in a game yet)

Some B level player gets in the zone during one of these 200ppg break neck paced game...and ends up putting up some crazy stat line

IMO, it would be devalued based on the current state of play.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2676513 Previous topic | Next topic