Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2672923

Subject: "Vontae Davis retires from football at halftime (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
LAbeathustla
Member since Jan 24th 2004
33858 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 09:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Vontae Davis retires from football at halftime (swipe)"

anyone ever just quit the job right in the middle of a task?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24703207/buffalo-bills-cb-vontae-davis-abruptly-retires-football-half-vs-los-angeles-chargers

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills cornerback Vontae Davis abruptly retired at halftime of Sunday's 31-20 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers, saying in a statement later that the reality had hit him, "I shouldn't be out there anymore."

Davis, a 10-year veteran, said he meant no disrespect to his teammates and coaches, but that physically he could no longer play at the standard he set for himself.

" pulled himself out of the game," Bills coach Sean McDermott said. "He communicated to us that he was done."

Linebacker Lorenzo Alexander alerted reporters to Davis' abrupt retirement after the game.

"Never have seen it ever," Alexander said. "Pop Warner, high school, college, pros. Never heard of it. Never seen it. And it's just completely disrespectful to his teammates. ... He didn't say nothing to nobody. ... I found out going into the second half of the game. They said he's not coming out, he retired. That's it."

After the game, Davis released a statement on social media.

He talked about the physical toll of the game and said that while he was on the field Sunday, he didn't feel right and wondered if he wanted to keep going.

"And truthfully, I do not because the season is long, and it's more important for me and my family to walk away healthy than to willfully embrace the warrior mentality and limp away too late," he said in the statement.

"This was an overwhelming decision, but I'm at peace with myself and my family."

Davis started Sunday's game but was not seen on the field or on the sideline in the second half. The Bills trailed 28-6 at halftime.

"I don't have nothing to say about Vontae," Alexander said after the game. "I'm going to give him a little bit more respect than he showed us today, as far as quitting on us in the middle of the game."

Davis, 30, was a healthy scratch for the Bills' regular-season opener in favor of Phillip Gaines, who started the Bills' 47-3 loss to the Baltimore Ravens. Gaines played nickel cornerback for the Bills on Sunday after an injury to rookie Taron Johnson in the season opener.

The Bills signed Davis to a one-year deal in February that included a $2.25 million base salary and a $1.5 million signing bonus. Of his base salary, $2 million is fully guaranteed. He also was due roster bonuses of $15,625 per game on the 53-man roster and $46,876 per game on the 46-man game-day roster.

McDermott, talking about how he will address Davis' departure moving forward, said, "When I get back in here, we'll continue to communicate on what exactly is going on there and we'll go from there."

In other defensive developments, McDermott took over playcalling duties from defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier in the second half of Sunday's game.

"I just felt like we needed a spark," McDermott said. "That's my background. Coach Frazier does a really good job, as well as the defensive staff. I just felt like we needed a spark."

McDermott said he would evaluate the playcalling situation and "a lot of other things" after the loss.

The Chargers gained 284 yards in the first half, the most the Bills have allowed before halftime since 2013.

Buffalo allowed only three second-half points after McDermott took over playcalling duties.

"I didn't change all that much, honestly," McDermott said. "I thought the defense played with a lot of energy in the second half. I'll give the players credit: They battled. ... It was almost the tale of two halves. I thought we battled and played some Buffalo Bill football at times in the second half, at times. Not enough, still. But in the first half, no way was that good enough."

McDermott tabbed Frazier as his defensive coordinator upon being hired as Bills coach in 2017. Frazier served as the Minnesota Vikings' coach from 2010 through 2013.

"Sean has been a defensive coordinator in his career," Alexander said. "He's the head coach, and he felt the need that he needs to step in. That's his prerogative as the head coach. He has that freedom to do it. Obviously, Leslie is not a prideful guy. He'll step aside, and we'll go back to work next week. I don't think there's going to be any issue there with that, just understanding who Leslie is and what he's all about. He's all about winning. If Sean felt like he needed to do that, he did it."

------------------------------------
2019 CABG Survivor

2016 OK Survivor Champion

be about it or be without it

RIP GOATs

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
i mean kinda weird to do that mid-game. He had to be thinking about it
Sep 17th 2018
10 yr vet? dogg at least wait until the end of the game.
Sep 17th 2018
      One more play could have resulted in a life threatening injury
Sep 17th 2018
      nigga sit on the bench and let someone else play the last 2 qtrs
Sep 17th 2018
           whats the difference between sitting on the bench and retiring after
Sep 17th 2018
      ^^this kind of thinking can get you killed^^
Sep 17th 2018
      he didnt have to play...are you serious?
Sep 17th 2018
           he didn't need to be there at all...
Sep 17th 2018
                nobody said he had to touch the field..you just dont announce it
Sep 17th 2018
                     he didn't make some grand announcement, man...
Sep 17th 2018
                          i didnt say that. i meant it as he isnt making some grand statement
Sep 17th 2018
                               understood. I just feel like dude was having...
Sep 17th 2018
                               wait, what exactly are you saying he should have done different?
Sep 17th 2018
                               exactly what he shouldve done..but as DStL said ..i can understand
Sep 17th 2018
                               I think that's pretty much what he did
Sep 17th 2018
                                    Lol right
Sep 17th 2018
      pretty clear his legacy wasn't a priority.
Sep 17th 2018
good for him....
Sep 17th 2018
yep.
Sep 17th 2018
#facts
Sep 18th 2018
Exactly. That's HIS life
Sep 19th 2018
people walk off the job everyday b.
Sep 17th 2018
Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, YOU’RE cool... (c)
Sep 17th 2018
If your head isn't in the game, you SHOULD NOT be out there.
Sep 17th 2018
In college I bounced from my part time job mid task
Sep 18th 2018
same thing, totally
Sep 18th 2018
      right bc he's clearly saying its the same thing.
Sep 18th 2018
      I thought so too, thanks!
Sep 18th 2018
Lorenzo Alexander seems like a douche
Sep 18th 2018
he's actually probably the most charitable dude in the NFL, great dude
Sep 18th 2018
      great, philanthropic douches are the best kind
Sep 18th 2018
R.I.P....
Apr 01st 2024
damn..
Apr 01st 2024
this was my first thought. RIP.
Apr 01st 2024
      Some questioned how he quit
Apr 01st 2024
35...omg, RIP
Apr 01st 2024
Rest in peace. :(
Apr 01st 2024
the video of McCoy and White imitating how he quit
Apr 04th 2024

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59175 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 09:29 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "i mean kinda weird to do that mid-game. He had to be thinking about it"
In response to Reply # 0

at the end of the day, I aint mad at em. I can understand his teammates being upset and frustrated in the moment, but at the end of it all, if you don't wanna be here...don't.

it woulda been worse if he just went through the motions for his check.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

LAbeathustla
33858 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 09:31 AM

2. "10 yr vet? dogg at least wait until the end of the game. "
In response to Reply # 1

now your whole legacy is a joke... "aww nigga you not gon vontae davis us today are you? "

2019 CABG Survivor

RIP GOATs

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 09:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "One more play could have resulted in a life threatening injury"
In response to Reply # 2

It's even more likely to happen if your body/mental isn't 100% in it.

LAbeathustla
33858 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 09:57 AM

5. "nigga sit on the bench and let someone else play the last 2 qtrs"
In response to Reply # 4

this is not the example you set for a young team and they brought you in because youre a veteran...

2019 CABG Survivor

RIP GOATs

Cenario
59175 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 10:02 AM

9. "whats the difference between sitting on the bench and retiring after"
In response to Reply # 5

the game and not coming out of the locker room?

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 09:57 AM

6. "^^this kind of thinking can get you killed^^"
In response to Reply # 2

..with everything we've learned regarding CTE, how can anyone question the motives of a player that walks away from a career in professional football (esp a 10 yr vet)?

We all know (and accept) that the game is violent, and anyone that does not give 100% on that field jeopardizes the lives of everyone else on that field, as well as their own.

The man said he didn't feel right, what more do you want?

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

LAbeathustla
33858 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 09:58 AM

7. "he didnt have to play...are you serious? "
In response to Reply # 6

2019 CABG Survivor

RIP GOATs

CyrenYoung
Charter member
34204 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 10:12 AM

11. "he didn't need to be there at all..."
In response to Reply # 7

..why place that kind of expectation on someone else?

to win a game? i understand the disappointment, but a win doesn't outweigh the value of someone's health (mental OR physical).

the business of professional football didn't stop because one man didn't feel right, decided to follow his instincts, and made the decision to walk away on the spot.

this is the perfect example to set for anyone that might be silently suffering because they simply fear letting other people down or worry more about the opinions of others instead of their own health & well being.

perhaps if something like this had been done before, players like junior seau would still be alive today.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...

LAbeathustla
33858 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 10:17 AM

12. "nobody said he had to touch the field..you just dont announce it "
In response to Reply # 11

until the end of the game..announcing your retirement at halftime isnt making some grand statement or saving himself from CTE... you just dont play....how many players have sat out and just didnt play??

2019 CABG Survivor

RIP GOATs

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 10:23 AM

13. "he didn't make some grand announcement, man..."
In response to Reply # 12

he told the coaches he was out and bounced.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

LAbeathustla
33858 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 10:32 AM

15. "i didnt say that. i meant it as he isnt making some grand statement"
In response to Reply # 13

by not waiting til the end of the game to announce his retirement...just stay in the locker room or head out to the sideline...you aint gotta play.. you are committed to the team however.. especially a struggling young team that brought you in bcz you are a good vet presence...i have absolutely nothing against him or him retiring .. just kind of tacky how he did it

2019 CABG Survivor

RIP GOATs

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 10:36 AM

16. "understood. I just feel like dude was having..."
In response to Reply # 15

a serious moment...all the emotion of realizing "I can't play this game anymore", deciding this was it...he had to get the fuck out of dodge...like all the way away. People on Twitter or fucking killing him.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

Cenario
59175 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 10:41 AM

17. "wait, what exactly are you saying he should have done different?"

he told the coaches he was done. What should he have done. Said he's not playing today and then later said he's not playing again? How would that be better?

LAbeathustla
33858 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 10:55 AM

19. "exactly what he shouldve done..but as DStL said ..i can understand"
In response to Reply # 17

he was having a moment...a sort of knee jerk reaction..

>he told the coaches he was done. What should he have done.
>Said he's not playing today and then later said he's not
>playing again? How would that be better?

2019 CABG Survivor

RIP GOATs

PimpTrickGangstaClik
Member since Oct 06th 2005
15894 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 10:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "I think that's pretty much what he did"
Mon Sep-17-18 10:49 AM by PimpTrickGangstaClik

He didn't set up a press conference at half time. He just told the coaches he was done.

I would imagine the convo went something like this:

Coach: Let's get ready to go back out there
Vontae: Nah coach. I don't feel right. I'm done.
Coach: What do you mean you're done?!?!
Vontae: I'm done. Retiring.
Coach:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTFO!!!!!

>by not waiting til the end of the game to announce his
>retirement...just stay in the locker room or head out to the
>sideline...you aint gotta play.. you are committed to the team
>however.. especially a struggling young team that brought you
>in bcz you are a good vet presence...i have absolutely nothing
>against him or him retiring .. just kind of tacky how he did
>it

Cenario
59175 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 11:15 AM

20. "Lol right"
In response to Reply # 18

If he went and sat on the bench I think it woulda been worse.

If you out, be out then

Cenario
59175 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 10:02 AM

8. "pretty clear his legacy wasn't a priority."
In response to Reply # 2

and thats ok.

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 09:44 AM

3. "good for him...."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Sep-17-18 09:46 AM by Dstl1

got zero problem with it. Dude said in his Twitter statement, it came on him really fast. He told coaches he "didn't feel right". That's too fucking violent of a game to be out there with your body not responding like you want it to and your heart and/or mind not fully in it. Dude has an extensive injury history, including like 4 concussions. His body and mind are beat the fuck up. We act like we care about these dudes, but folk clearly don't. Guess if he fucked around and got hauled off with his head and neck immobilized he'd be a warrior. Fuck that. No one is gonna care when he can't fucking play with his kids or he can't drive places because his mind is fucked up.

Cenario
59175 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 10:03 AM

10. "yep."
In response to Reply # 3

ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Tue Sep-18-18 03:31 PM

28. "#facts"
In response to Reply # 3

>got zero problem with it. Dude said in his Twitter
>statement, it came on him really fast. He told coaches he
>"didn't feel right". That's too fucking violent of a game to
>be out there with your body not responding like you want it to
>and your heart and/or mind not fully in it. Dude has an
>extensive injury history, including like 4 concussions. His
>body and mind are beat the fuck up. We act like we care
>about these dudes, but folk clearly don't. Guess if he fucked
>around and got hauled off with his head and neck immobilized
>he'd be a warrior. Fuck that. No one is gonna care when he
>can't fucking play with his kids or he can't drive places
>because his mind is fucked up.

exactly, he wasn't even on the active roster for week 1. They could've cut him monday morning and nobody would've batted an eye but because he went out on his terms people have a problem with it.

LA2Philly
Member since Oct 18th 2004
41249 posts
Wed Sep-19-18 10:27 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
31. "Exactly. That's HIS life"
In response to Reply # 3

He has to live with those consequences on a second to second and minute to minute and day to day basis, no one else has any right to make that decision for him.

---------------------------------
<--The drought is over

"have fun reveling in your pettiness tho" (C) Dula summing up 98% of OKS

"I didnt finish a damn thing...matter of fact I jerked off after she left."
-Kobe speaking to investigators

L D E A

BrooklynWHAT
Member since Jun 15th 2007
85056 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 10:24 AM

14. "people walk off the job everyday b."
In response to Reply # 0

<--- Big Baller World Order

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 11:35 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
21. "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, YOU’RE cool... (c)"
In response to Reply # 14

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

micMajestic
Charter member
22938 posts
Mon Sep-17-18 02:15 PM

22. "If your head isn't in the game, you SHOULD NOT be out there."
In response to Reply # 0

It's way too dangerous for that.

That locker room will indoctrinate a mofo though. It may take years for some of his teammates to look at him as anything other than a pussy.

Y2Flound
Member since Aug 16th 2005
9819 posts
Tue Sep-18-18 06:16 AM

23. "In college I bounced from my part time job mid task"
In response to Reply # 0

This old lady who never did shit but complain about how lazy all the young workers were gave me some menial task that didn't need to be done but she just felt like telling me to do it.

I left and just didn't come back...so I get it

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Tue Sep-18-18 11:05 AM

24. "same thing, totally"
In response to Reply # 23

Cenario
59175 posts
Tue Sep-18-18 12:24 PM

25. "right bc he's clearly saying its the same thing."
In response to Reply # 24

Y2Flound
Member since Aug 16th 2005
9819 posts
Tue Sep-18-18 01:00 PM

27. "I thought so too, thanks!"
In response to Reply # 24

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Tue Sep-18-18 12:41 PM

26. "Lorenzo Alexander seems like a douche"
In response to Reply # 0

The kind of dude that maybe I wouldn't feel so bad for if his fingers felt like electricity were running thru them for a few hours after his next bell ringing

Might give him a different perspective

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Tiger Woods
Member since Feb 15th 2004
18385 posts
Tue Sep-18-18 03:53 PM

29. "he's actually probably the most charitable dude in the NFL, great dude"
In response to Reply # 26

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35245 posts
Tue Sep-18-18 08:12 PM

30. "great, philanthropic douches are the best kind"
In response to Reply # 29

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Apr-01-24 02:05 PM

32. "R.I.P...."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Apr-01-24 02:12 PM by Dstl1

found dead in his South Florida home. Police say nothing found indicates foul play. He was 35.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39853679/ex-nfl-cb-vontae-davis-found-dead-age-35

legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
79559 posts
Mon Apr-01-24 02:12 PM

33. "damn.. "
In response to Reply # 32

makes me wonder if the way he left the game was a warning sign that was missed or mishandled.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

PROMO
Charter member
30953 posts
Mon Apr-01-24 02:26 PM

34. "this was my first thought. RIP."
In response to Reply # 33

legsdiamond
79559 posts
Mon Apr-01-24 03:24 PM

35. "Some questioned how he quit"
In response to Reply # 34

and I don’t see anything wrong with questioning it given it was DURING A GAME.

That ain’t normal.

Prayers to his family.

NFL has a real problem on their hands. These athletes sure seem to be dying more often and much earlier then I remember but I don’t have numbers to back that up.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

guru0509
Charter member
45342 posts
Mon Apr-01-24 06:30 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
36. "35...omg, RIP"
In response to Reply # 32

>found dead in his South Florida home. Police say nothing
>found indicates foul play. He was 35.
>
>https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39853679/ex-nfl-cb-vontae-davis-found-dead-age-35

-------------------
I wanna go to where the martyrs went
the brown figures on the walls of my apart-a-ment...

Shaun Tha Don
Member since Nov 19th 2005
18289 posts
Mon Apr-01-24 10:09 PM

37. "Rest in peace. :("
In response to Reply # 0

Rest In Peace, Bad News Brown

legsdiamond
79559 posts
Thu Apr-04-24 08:21 AM

38. "the video of McCoy and White imitating how he quit "
In response to Reply # 0

is trending and that shit is hilarious.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WjGJd7L2EPw

seemed like a good dude who’s body and mind said “nope”

“this my last go round, I’m done.. its a young mans game, yall got it.”

RIP and prayers for his family.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2672923 Previous topic | Next topic