Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2670877

Subject: "General Post - Late Summer + Quick NYC weekend advice" Previous topic | Next topic
calminvasion
Charter member
12575 posts
Thu Aug-16-18 06:17 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"General Post - Late Summer + Quick NYC weekend advice"

So we havn't done one of these in ages, and since I need to shamelessly seek advice, I figured this could get some quick input. It feels like there are used to be a lot of NYers

I have to be in the city for an early AM Monday meeting, and at last minute I figured I'd get in early and spend part of Sat & Sun in NY (this weekend). I used to go often, but its really been 8 years since I've been. So any advice/recommendations on what to get into? Quick facts that might steer the recs:

- Staying by Central Park S. (Essex house)
- Old, boring and black (just turned 40 recently)
- Food is really the biggest thing
- But any interesting events, music, art etc, that doesn't trend too young (I feel old just typing that)

Oh yeah, and what's going on with yall?

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: General Post - Late Summer + Quick NYC weekend advice
Aug 16th 2018
thanks man. All of it. "ethnic" or "NY faddish" is cool
Aug 16th 2018
having a house kind of sucks.
Aug 16th 2018
I feel you, I bought a year ago, but a duplex
Aug 16th 2018
re: food. you have the upper hand riding solo. take full advantage
Aug 16th 2018

COOLEHMAGAZINE
Member since May 22nd 2007
5563 posts
Thu Aug-16-18 07:14 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "RE: General Post - Late Summer + Quick NYC weekend advice"
In response to Reply # 0

What type of food, I got you

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos

http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/

calminvasion
Charter member
12575 posts
Thu Aug-16-18 08:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
3. "thanks man. All of it. "ethnic" or "NY faddish" is cool"
In response to Reply # 1

>What type of food, I got you

will_5198
Charter member
63111 posts
Thu Aug-16-18 07:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "having a house kind of sucks."
In response to Reply # 0

I hate the fact I spend a lot of my free time maintaining it. I despise lawn work but will attempt to DIY any repairs that do not involve plumbing or electricity.

went to NYC for a wedding in June but I don't have anything inspiring to recommend. I go every couple of summers to meet old college friends -- when I have free time I'll hit up well-known, past-trendy spots: Ippudo (good noodles), Ivan Ramen (good flavor combinations), Cosme (good but really expensive), The Meatball Shop (bunch of times; fine and everywhere), Bar Pitti (people-watching), Russ and Daughters (a pain but worth the trip).

--------

calminvasion
Charter member
12575 posts
Thu Aug-16-18 08:23 PM

4. "I feel you, I bought a year ago, but a duplex"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu Aug-16-18 08:23 PM by calminvasion

I'm good with condo fees (f'k a lawnmower), and outside of 1 shared wall that's pretty robust, it feels like a S.F.H. That said, there's small sh't that you would let go as a renter that you feel compelled to address - I don't, for now.

Thanks, will add those to list.

RandomFact
Member since Dec 10th 2005
8710 posts
Thu Aug-16-18 09:21 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "re: food. you have the upper hand riding solo. take full advantage "
In response to Reply # 0

find a great spot with counter/stool/bar seating and breeze past the line with relative ease.

was in ny recently for work and played the solo card at momofuku noodle bar (ramen, pork belly buns, fried chicken) and the spotted pig (og gastropub). both places are known for ugly waits but not for the guy riding dolo.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2670877 Previous topic | Next topic