Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2669336

Subject: "Jaelene Hinkle blackballed by USWNT for her religious beliefs?(swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
ThaTruth
Charter member
99998 posts
Thu Jul-26-18 03:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Jaelene Hinkle blackballed by USWNT for her religious beliefs?(swipe)"

https://sports.yahoo.com/jaelene-hinkle-blackballed-uswnt-religious-beliefs-054747436.html

Is Jaelene Hinkle being blackballed from the USWNT for her religious beliefs?
Eric Adelson
Yahoo SportsJuly 25, 2018, 12:47 AM CDT

She is the most polarizing player in U.S. women’s soccer, and she is not even on the U.S. women’s soccer team.

No, it’s not Hope Solo.

Jaelene Hinkle was cut this week from the final 23 for Team USA’s upcoming tournament. These sort of roster changes happen all the time. Hinkle is not Alex Morgan or Carli Lloyd. She’s a left back.

However, Hinkle is the player who declined to play on the national team last year because she is a devout Christian and the U.S. wore rainbow-colored numbers on their jerseys to celebrate Pride Month. For her, it was a choice of conscience and faith. For many in the LGBTQ community, and elsewhere, it was a disgraceful show of homophobia. There was debate in the soccer community about whether she would ever get another shot at the national team, and Hinkle herself accepted that her decision may cost her a childhood dream.

On July 18, however, she got a call-up. And the reaction was fierce.

“Kick Her Off” screamed one Slate headline. “By giving Jaelene Hinkle a roster spot, U.S. Soccer sold out its LGBTQ fans and players for a better shot at the Women’s World Cup.” It went on to accuse head coach Jill Ellis, who is married to a woman, of “compromising the unity that’s essential for any good team and snubbing a not-insignificant segment of their customer base.”

Monday, five days after being added to the training camp roster, she was cut. But why?

According to a U.S. soccer spokesperson, “It was based on performance.” Yet, Hinkle plays a position of need for the national team. And according to her NWSL coach on the North Carolina Courage, Hinkle is “the best left back in the league by a country mile.”

This is not an outlandish opinion, even coming from Hinkle’s own coach. Katelyn Best, who has written eloquently and convincingly as a critic of Hinkle’s decision last year, still calls her “hands down the best left back in the league this season.”

Courage coach Paul Riley, in an interview Tuesday with Yahoo Sports, said Hinkle “should be on the roster for the national team. She’s good enough, intelligent enough, quick enough.” He further said it was “frustrating” how quickly the decision was made. “I don’t know how you can make the decision in two days,” he said. “I would have preferred for to keep them all or not bring her in the first place.”

So was this truly a soccer decision? Riley says he’s sure it was.

Others will likely disagree. Best broaches the possibility that the call-up was simply to stem any belief that Hinkle had been blackballed. Then the ultimate decision was to stem the backlash. In this scenario, Ellis was trying to appease everyone. There’s also a more banal scenario: Hinkle didn’t have a great tryout.

Anything’s possible in a social media age when truth is subjective, and this is the problem that Ellis will continue to face. She could have gotten credit for bringing Hinkle back after being snubbed, but instead she’s in a no-win situation. Put Hinkle on the team and it will be seen as a shot at the LGBTQ community. Leave her off the team and it will be seen as a shot at the Christian community. And it’s important to remember these communities are not of one mind about this. Some will cheer for the team whether or not Hinkle is on it. Others will see her as the very reason to cheer for the team, or the very reason to boycott it.

A source close to the national team says there was no revolt about Hinkle’s call-up, and there was no disruption or distraction during her short time with the group. That’s not to say that every player is fine with her refusal to wear the jersey – that’s highly unlikely – but it is a good soccer sign that Hinkle could fit in as she has in North Carolina (which is the best team in the league, thanks in part to its star left back).

Riley says that “nothing at all” has troubled him about coaching Hinkle. “She’s an easy person to coach,” he says. “A learner. A motivated player.” Keep in mind that Hinkle played on Pride Night for the Courage, and obviously she has not refused to play alongside LGBTQ players. Nor do we see any evidence that any player has refused to play alongside her.

This week’s controversy will pass. It’s not a World Cup year. However, next year most definitely is, and Ellis will have to pick the very best players for the pursuit of the top prize in France. Hinkle will likely make the coach’s decision even more difficult. She is entering her prime, and improving rapidly. Riley, for his part, says he “hopes she gets more of a chance next year.”

“She’s gone to another level,” the Courage coach says. “She’s knocking Marta, knocking Alex Morgan, knocking Rapinoe. She’s got a lot more to offer.”

Several days ago, Anthony DiCicco, son of the legendary late national team coach Tony DiCicco, tweeted this about Hinkle: “I pray for her to find empathy. Love is Love. No group has ever demonstrated that as well as the #USWNT. It’s forever part of the program’s DNA.”

It’s a heartfelt, well-meaning statement (unlike a lot of what’s written about this subject on Twitter). But Hinkle surely sees herself as choosing love every day, including and perhaps especially the day she refused to play for the national team. For all the fans who feel she is an incorrigible villain for having her views, there are also fans who are delighted at how she sacrificed for her faith. There is a passionate argument in saying no one should tell Hinkle how to live her life. There is also a passionate argument in saying Hinkle is tacitly telling everyone else how to live their lives.

Don’t expect many minds to change. The key question over the coming months is whether Ellis’ mind will change.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
dude really posts *any* gay news he can find it's wild
Jul 26th 2018
More reliable than Rod and Karen singing Sylvester
Jul 27th 2018
i know "out" adults who care less about homosexuality than you
Jul 26th 2018
Oh, Truth is almost certainly gay. Don't care, though.
Jul 29th 2018
      at a minimum he's bi-curious.
Jul 30th 2018
if she don't get her high-yella ass the fuck...
Jul 26th 2018
PAD ON EM, T!!!
Jul 26th 2018
^^^ ROCK N ROLL GAY AGENDA!!
Jul 28th 2018
RE: Jaelene Hinkle blackballed by USWNT for her religious beliefs?(swipe...
Jul 26th 2018
I hope so - No Protestants on the USWNT
Jul 26th 2018
*swipes up on this reply*
Jul 26th 2018
PAD ON EM, 'EYE!!!
Jul 29th 2018
My dude compelled 'em with the power of Christ in that reply
Jul 29th 2018
So, she can play for a lesbian, but can't wear a rainbow
Jul 26th 2018
Is that really that crazy tho? Lots of athletes
Jul 26th 2018
Right, but...IMO a gay HC does more to further the LGBTQ agenda
Jul 27th 2018
      are you using "agenda" facetiously?
Jul 27th 2018
      RE: are you using "agenda" facetiously?
Jul 27th 2018
           so you think there's a LGBTQ "agenda"?
Jul 27th 2018
                Is there not?
Jul 27th 2018
                     you think that wanting to live your life without restrictions
Jul 27th 2018
                          I would say that's the goal
Jul 27th 2018
                               RE: I would say that's the goal
Jul 27th 2018
                               intentional or not, there's a pejorative connotation.
Jul 27th 2018
                               RE: intentional or not, there's a pejorative connotation.
Jul 27th 2018
                               you gotta admit it's funny AF that ...
Jul 29th 2018
                               LOL
Jul 30th 2018
                               lmao
Jul 30th 2018
                               I think that's why using it this way is good
Jul 30th 2018
                               I want to eat. Describing a completely natural desire to eat
Jul 27th 2018
      Lol what the hell are you talking about
Jul 27th 2018
           EX; An NBA player, for whatever reason, is an anti-feminist
Jul 30th 2018
                wat
Jul 30th 2018
                this is the dumbest fucking shit I've ever read here in all of these yea...
Jul 30th 2018
                Lulz
Jul 30th 2018
Behind one too, considering that Pinoe will still be chugging along that...
Jul 27th 2018
I kind of see her point...kind of
Jul 27th 2018
the no-context personal freedom exemption doesn't fly for me
Jul 27th 2018
      RE: the no-context personal freedom exemption doesn't fly for me
Jul 27th 2018
RE: Jaelene Hinkle blackballed by USWNT for her religious beliefs?(swipe...
Jul 28th 2018
damn, she looks almost exactly like my ex girlfriend
Jul 30th 2018
Big round of applause for Portland Thorns fans when she came to town
Jul 30th 2018
*Rights
Jul 30th 2018
....what?
Jul 30th 2018
breh...you edited to this?
Jul 30th 2018
those are his refined thoughts
Jul 31st 2018
On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate your own toughness?
Jul 30th 2018
co-opt, invent, whatever
Jul 30th 2018
RE: *Rights
Jul 30th 2018
So...gay rights then...acceptable or nah...?
Jul 31st 2018
reasonable ppl have just been saying "civil rights" for quite some time
Jul 31st 2018
      see reply 13
Jul 31st 2018
           RE: see reply 13
Jul 31st 2018
LMAO
Jul 31st 2018
lulz
Jul 31st 2018
It's 2018 and people are still like this.
Jul 31st 2018
WHITEBALLED, not blackballed.
Jul 31st 2018

Rjcc
Charter member
95010 posts
Thu Jul-26-18 04:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
1. "dude really posts *any* gay news he can find it's wild"
In response to Reply # 0

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Fri Jul-27-18 02:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
18. "More reliable than Rod and Karen singing Sylvester"
In response to Reply # 1

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35299 posts
Thu Jul-26-18 04:19 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
2. "i know "out" adults who care less about homosexuality than you"
In response to Reply # 0

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

Orbit_Established
Member since Oct 27th 2002
52934 posts
Sun Jul-29-18 02:48 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
30. "Oh, Truth is almost certainly gay. Don't care, though. "
In response to Reply # 2

But if I had to guess, I would say that he is.

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27126 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 12:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
40. "at a minimum he's bi-curious."
In response to Reply # 30

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

Dr Claw
Member since Jun 25th 2003
132220 posts
Thu Jul-26-18 04:19 PM

3. "if she don't get her high-yella ass the fuck..."
In response to Reply # 0

dula dibiasi
Member since Apr 05th 2004
21925 posts
Thu Jul-26-18 04:42 PM

4. "PAD ON EM, T!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86684 posts
Sat Jul-28-18 06:04 PM

28. "^^^ ROCK N ROLL GAY AGENDA!!"
In response to Reply # 4

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

ShawndmeSlanted
Member since Oct 30th 2004
43359 posts
Thu Jul-26-18 05:36 PM

5. "RE: Jaelene Hinkle blackballed by USWNT for her religious beliefs?(swipe..."
In response to Reply # 0

My Christian homeboy posted some shot in support of her too lol

---
"though time has passed, im still the future" (c) black thought

Walleye
Charter member
15527 posts
Thu Jul-26-18 06:14 PM

6. "I hope so - No Protestants on the USWNT"
In response to Reply # 0

These sola scriptura dorks want the scars but they don't want the war.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

cgonz00cc
35299 posts
Thu Jul-26-18 11:17 PM

9. "*swipes up on this reply*"
In response to Reply # 6

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27126 posts
Sun Jul-29-18 12:08 AM

29. "PAD ON EM, 'EYE!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

>These sola scriptura dorks want the scars but they don't want
>the war.

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sun Jul-29-18 11:55 PM

31. "My dude compelled 'em with the power of Christ in that reply"
In response to Reply # 6

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

bentagain
Member since Mar 19th 2008
16595 posts
Thu Jul-26-18 07:21 PM

7. "So, she can play for a lesbian, but can't wear a rainbow "
In response to Reply # 0

Can someone point me to that scripture

WWJD.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you can't understand it without an explanation

you can't understand it with an explanation

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59202 posts
Thu Jul-26-18 09:55 PM

8. "Is that really that crazy tho? Lots of athletes"
In response to Reply # 7

Play for coaches or owners who live a life or support something that the athlete doesn't agree with.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

bentagain
16595 posts
Fri Jul-27-18 01:25 PM

11. "Right, but...IMO a gay HC does more to further the LGBTQ agenda"
In response to Reply # 8

Than some colors on a jersey

i.e. her play and success as a player directly correlates to the HC's success, etc...

If she was taking a stand against the LGBTQ agenda...she could've started by refusing to play for a gay HC

Or play with gay players

Taking a stance against a colorful jersey...seems way down on the list of options...IMO

WWJD?

I also find it comical that religious nuts even take this stance considering the pedo scandals that we've lived through over the past 30+ years

Shouldn't they be boycotting the church if they are anti-LBGTQ...?

cgonz00cc
35299 posts
Fri Jul-27-18 01:29 PM

12. "are you using "agenda" facetiously?"
In response to Reply # 11

i really hope so

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

bentagain
16595 posts
Fri Jul-27-18 01:45 PM

13. "RE: are you using "agenda" facetiously?"
In response to Reply # 12

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/agenda

What word would you prefer? Did eye O fend (c)

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Fri Jul-27-18 01:56 PM

15. "so you think there's a LGBTQ "agenda"?"
In response to Reply # 13

bentagain
16595 posts
Fri Jul-27-18 02:10 PM

16. "Is there not?"
In response to Reply # 15

Marriage equality

Military service

Anti-discrimination/awareness

Etc...

Again, what word do you suggest?

Rjcc
Charter member
95010 posts
Fri Jul-27-18 04:34 PM

19. "you think that wanting to live your life without restrictions"
In response to Reply # 16

is an "agenda"

bentagain
16595 posts
Fri Jul-27-18 04:42 PM

20. "I would say that's the goal"
In response to Reply # 19

Does an agenda of action items not help one work toward that goal?

I posted the definition...does it not fit?

WTF is up with the quotation marks?

Agenda is a word

Let me know if I'm using it out of context...or you could just spit out whatever you're intimating at.

COOLEHMAGAZINE
Member since May 22nd 2007
5563 posts
Fri Jul-27-18 05:04 PM

21. "RE: I would say that's the goal"
In response to Reply # 20

>Does an agenda of action items not help one work toward that
>goal?
>
>I posted the definition...does it not fit?
>
>WTF is up with the quotation marks?
>
>Agenda is a word
>
>Let me know if I'm using it out of context...or you could just
>spit out whatever you're intimating at.

It's a dog-whistle phrase. You may be unfamiliar, but that's what people are really asking.

Or you are familiar and doing the Tucker Carlson thing, which, hey, this is America!

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos

http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/

dula dibiasi
21925 posts
Fri Jul-27-18 05:31 PM

23. "intentional or not, there's a pejorative connotation."

talk of "furthering the LGBTQ agenda" basically implies "these damn queers forcing their damn lifestyle on us normies" rather than what it actually is: a desire for basic human dignity

___

it is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. - sherlock holmes

COOLEHMAGAZINE
5563 posts
Fri Jul-27-18 05:42 PM

24. "RE: intentional or not, there's a pejorative connotation."
In response to Reply # 23

I don't think "agenda" automatically has a pejorative aspect but in recent and not-that-recent American society the idea of a "gay agenda" is definitely a dog-whistle.

It's entirely possible the poster did not know that however.

ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Sun Jul-29-18 11:57 PM

32. "you gotta admit it's funny AF that ..."

on *OKAYSPORTS* we are talking about the negative connotation of the word AGENDA

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Rjcc
Charter member
95010 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 03:13 AM

33. "LOL"
In response to Reply # 32

Cenario
59202 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 08:52 AM

35. "lmao"
In response to Reply # 32

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Walleye
Charter member
15527 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 08:59 AM

36. "I think that's why using it this way is good"

Wanting to achieve things, politically, is exactly as good as those outcomes are. You're right that it is almost always used pejoratively (is there really only one "r" in that word? that doesn't look right at all) but the announcement of "I would like to accomplish something transformative through politics" isn't something to avoid saying - and though the "something" in this case is fairly described as the right to live the same banal existence as straight folks, affirming that this requires organized action means acknowledging that there are enemies to this.

In short: good agendas are good. Telling people that you intend to make the world better is good.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Rjcc
Charter member
95010 posts
Fri Jul-27-18 10:54 PM

26. "I want to eat. Describing a completely natural desire to eat"

as a "food agenda" would be entirely insulting.

Until and unless you describe nominally straight people's performance of hetero relationships as furthering their agenda, then there's no logical explanation for describing it like that for the actions of people who aren't straight

Cenario
59202 posts
Fri Jul-27-18 06:46 PM

25. "Lol what the hell are you talking about"
In response to Reply # 11

That was such a silly reply I'm not sure where to start.

bentagain
16595 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 11:59 AM

39. "EX; An NBA player, for whatever reason, is an anti-feminist"
In response to Reply # 25

and that NBA player ends up playing for the San Antonio Spurs

through their association with the organization, an organization that employs a female assistant HC

his success as a player actually furthers feminism, by in turn contributing to the success of a female assistant HC

player has no problem with that

but when the team wants to support breast cancer awareness by wearing pink

player declines to play for the team

i.e. the female assistant HC does more to further feminism than the color pink

you follow?

Rjcc
Charter member
95010 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 12:32 PM

41. "wat"
In response to Reply # 39

Rjcc
Charter member
95010 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 01:31 PM

44. "this is the dumbest fucking shit I've ever read here in all of these yea..."

at every level from concept to execution this doesn't even start to make sense.

Cenario
59202 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 01:46 PM

45. "Lulz"

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18775 posts
Fri Jul-27-18 10:53 AM

10. "Behind one too, considering that Pinoe will still be chugging along that..."
In response to Reply # 7

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

Selassie I God
Member since Feb 21st 2006
10355 posts
Fri Jul-27-18 01:46 PM

14. "I kind of see her point...kind of"
In response to Reply # 0

If she sees wearing the rainbow flag as a sort of "endorsement" of the lifestyle (for lack of a better term) then she can't in good conscience rock it on her uniform. I dealt with a somewhat situation where I was on a team that had an American flag on the jerseys, and I wasn't feeling that based on my religious beliefs. The team wasn't a national team or representative of the country, or state, so I protested. I eventually was allowed to remove the patch from my jersey. Now, conversely, I wouldn't try to join the U.S. bowling team and think that I could expect that to work.

If she has her convictions and feels she can't wear the rainbow flag, IMO her only option is to challenge its being a part of the uniform. If it isn't sponsored (paid endorsement) I think she has grounds not to rock it. The fight in courts could last a while, but she may be able to win that argument.

____
Some will tell you that they love you but they've got an ulterior motive - Oh what a shame
They will tell you that they need you but they've got an ulterior motive - Personal gain

(c) Luciano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg0-qndkemo

thejerseytornado
Member since Dec 24th 2005
26425 posts
Fri Jul-27-18 02:16 PM

17. "the no-context personal freedom exemption doesn't fly for me"
In response to Reply # 14

the reason we have rainbow jerseys is because they've been excluded from public life for generations. That context matters--it's why I'd fight for someone to be able to add a rainbow but fight against someone trying to remove it. Similarly, I'd be opposed to "christian appreciation night" but a "muslim appreciation night" would be a reasonable option. Histories (and current levels) of power matter.

The non-recognition of LGBTQ is the norm in sports. If you don't like that some American sports teams are working to be better at that (albeit in a flimsy capitalist way), too bad for you, imo.

COOLEHMAGAZINE
5563 posts
Fri Jul-27-18 05:13 PM

22. "RE: the no-context personal freedom exemption doesn't fly for me"
In response to Reply # 17
Fri Jul-27-18 05:16 PM by COOLEHMAGAZINE

I'm all for Christian Appreciation night! The Judeo-Christian tradition is based on the idea that you are oppressed, the more you fuck with them, the more pious they feel. Hence, "War on Christmas" is a thing in a country where the overwhelming majority of people celebrate Christmas, and there obviously is no one trying to stop Christmas from happening.

All it takes is going to the mall and seeing some bunting that says Happy Holidays, and people run in fear of impending Shariah law.

Let them have as many Jesus Appreciation nights as you want. Seriously. Especially since it's usually in the most Christian places in the country. Have at it!

murph71
Member since Sep 15th 2005
23113 posts
Sat Jul-28-18 03:41 PM

27. "RE: Jaelene Hinkle blackballed by USWNT for her religious beliefs?(swipe..."
In response to Reply # 0

Welp....not much has changed.....

GOAT of his era......long live Prince.....God is alive....

select_from_where
Member since Jan 03rd 2011
4342 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 06:54 AM

34. "damn, she looks almost exactly like my ex girlfriend"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-30-18 06:55 AM by select_from_where

minus the curls

magilla vanilla
Member since Sep 13th 2002
18775 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 09:53 AM

37. "Big round of applause for Portland Thorns fans when she came to town"
In response to Reply # 0

https://twitter.com/jacobcristobal/status/1002018269992181760

Pride flags all over the stadium and a big "Personal Reasons" banner.

---------------------------------
Photo zine(some images NSFW): http://bit.ly/USaSPhoto

"This (and every, actually) conversation needs more Chesterton and less Mike Francesa." - Walleye

bentagain
16595 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 11:54 AM

38. "*Rights"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon Jul-30-18 12:11 PM by bentagain

big thank you to everyone who took time out to correct my inappropriate and offensive use of the term agenda

*COTDAYUM liberals are some pussies

So...the Tucker Carlson crew co-opted the word and ya'll too scared to use it again

SMH

good luck in the midterms.

to be clear, I was unaware...but being a US resident/citizen...I must have been exposed to the term somewhere

I will use the term gay rights from now on...unless that is offensive too...is it LGBTQ rights?...is the term gay offensive too?

Rjcc
Charter member
95010 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 12:33 PM

42. "....what?"
In response to Reply # 38

Dstl1
Charter member
56260 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 12:38 PM

43. "breh...you edited to this?"

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

40thStreetBlack
Charter member
27126 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 09:12 AM

49. "those are his refined thoughts"
In response to Reply # 43

LOL

Mar-A-Lago delenda est

J_Stew
Member since Jul 06th 2002
22363 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 05:50 PM

46. "On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate your own toughness?"

rob
Charter member
23210 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 09:38 PM

47. "co-opt, invent, whatever"

COOLEHMAGAZINE
5563 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 10:37 PM

48. "RE: *Rights"

You asked why people were reacting that way and I, amongst others, attempted to explain to you that the phrase "gay agenda" is loaded in ways you may not be aware of.

People were trying to figure out if you are intentionally using a loaded phrase or just making a normal statement.

And now you are mad? But you are also not sensitive? But also something about midterms? But also sorry everyone was offended? But also you are offended?

The fuck????

Couldn't you have just said "Oh word, I had no idea" and kept it moving?

I guess not, because you are so secure and rational

bentagain
16595 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 09:14 AM

50. "So...gay rights then...acceptable or nah...?"
In response to Reply # 48

cgonz00cc
35299 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 11:11 AM

52. "reasonable ppl have just been saying "civil rights" for quite some time"
In response to Reply # 50
Tue Jul-31-18 11:11 AM by cgonz00cc

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

bentagain
16595 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 01:25 PM

55. "see reply 13"
In response to Reply # 52
Tue Jul-31-18 01:26 PM by bentagain

I asked...directly...if I used an offensive term...and made the request of the board, what term is correct to use

Here we are, 40 replies later...and the answer is 'civil rights'

is that the correct term...all I've been asking

I am not discounting the fact that I made a mistake with the language I used

It's fucking annoying to make repeated requests...just for the post to be strung out on some...hey, look at this neanderthal using the word agenda*

So I shouldn't say gay rights, I should say civil rights

?

I don't need a dissertation of a response, simple yes or no

COOLEHMAGAZINE
5563 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 02:59 PM

56. "RE: see reply 13"
In response to Reply # 55

There are lots of terms. Gay rights is not the most inclusive term (akin to saying "black rights" instead of "civil rights" but it would be fine. You are not a professor emeritus, I gather.

I don't even think "agenda" is a necessarily pejorative word, just that using the whole phrase you used could lead people to think a certain thing.

I'm sure most of the things a reasonable person would think of saying are fine.

cgonz00cc
35299 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 11:10 AM

51. "LMAO"

>You asked why people were reacting that way and I, amongst
>others, attempted to explain to you that the phrase "gay
>agenda" is loaded in ways you may not be aware of.
>
>People were trying to figure out if you are intentionally
>using a loaded phrase or just making a normal statement.
>
>
>And now you are mad? But you are also not sensitive? But also
>something about midterms? But also sorry everyone was
>offended? But also you are offended?
>
>
>The fuck????
>
>
>
>Couldn't you have just said "Oh word, I had no idea" and kept
>it moving?
>
>
>I guess not, because you are so secure and rational

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

dula dibiasi
21925 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 01:07 PM

54. "lulz"

>You asked why people were reacting that way and I, amongst
>others, attempted to explain to you that the phrase "gay
>agenda" is loaded in ways you may not be aware of.
>
>People were trying to figure out if you are intentionally
>using a loaded phrase or just making a normal statement.
>
>
>And now you are mad? But you are also not sensitive? But also
>something about midterms? But also sorry everyone was
>offended? But also you are offended?
>
>
>The fuck????
>
>
>
>Couldn't you have just said "Oh word, I had no idea" and kept
>it moving?
>
>
>I guess not, because you are so secure and rational

___

bignick
Charter member
24054 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 11:51 AM

53. "It's 2018 and people are still like this. "

Castro
Charter member
50760 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 10:21 PM

57. "WHITEBALLED, not blackballed."
In response to Reply # 0

------------------
One Hundred.

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2669336 Previous topic | Next topic