Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Sports topic #2669215

Subject: "Billy Butler going yard on a whole league of 'The Marine':" Previous topic | Next topic
Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Tue Jul-24-18 11:34 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Billy Butler going yard on a whole league of 'The Marine':"
Tue Jul-24-18 11:34 PM by Castro

Repeatedly. The Jerk is strong in this one.

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-royals-star-wrecking-local-softball-league-225636740.html

What, exactly, does a not-technically-retired but definitely-not-active former MLB star do to kill time? Destroy pitchers in his local men’s slow pitch softball recreational league, apparently.

Former Royals star Billy Butler has reportedly been wrecking the opposition as a member of a team called Pharmgrade in the Idaho Falls Parks & Rec league, according to The Athletic.

The 32-year-old Butler carried his team to a fall season championship in 2017, and with his MLB-level talent, it wasn’t even fair.

“I can hit the ball out of the park every time,” Butler told The Athletic. “Obviously, we do well.”

But in this league, there are rules to prevent exactly that. If his team out-homers the opposition by more than five, long shots start to count as outs. So Butler has to actively try to put the ball in play; luckily, double-plays are rare in a league where most players have been removed from serious athletics for years (he grounded into 207 as a professional).

“You have to work on hitting it the other way,” Butler explained. “You can’t just hit it out of the park. You have to work on things.”

Butler’s MLB career began in 2007 and spanned ten years, most of which were spent with the Royals. He was a career .290 hitter with 147 home runs and 1,479 hits, and in 2012, he earned an All-Star nod and Silver Slugger Award; he split his playing time between first base and DH.

He signed a 3-year, $30 million contract in 2015 with the Oakland Athletics, but was released late in his second year with a slash line of 258/.325/.394. He went on to finish out 2016 with the Yankees.

So for lack of video or photo evidence, just imagine this: a 6-foot, 260-pound MLB player formerly known as “Country Breakfast,” absolutely mashing softballs in a park whose outfield field wall is probably less than 300 feet away.

------------------
One Hundred.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Topic Outline
Subject Author Message Date ID
The Marine's plan for getting Billy out next game:
Jul 24th 2018
anyone who played at a high level can hit it out at will in softball
Jul 25th 2018
Slow pitch softball leagues are jokes
Jul 25th 2018
i definitely think it's a joke for an MLB player to be in a softball lea...
Jul 25th 2018
I'm in a co-ed one lol
Jul 25th 2018
so do i
Jul 31st 2018
Funny story
Jul 30th 2018
this reminds me of a hilarious episode of King of Queens...
Jul 30th 2018
people have been counting out Staff Sergeant Robert Fuentes
Jul 25th 2018
Listening to Effectively Wild talk about this was great
Jul 25th 2018

Castro
Charter member
50745 posts
Tue Jul-24-18 11:43 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
1. "The Marine's plan for getting Billy out next game:"
In response to Reply # 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqvMq0NO3rE

------------------
One Hundred.

RobOne4
Member since Jun 06th 2003
56697 posts
Wed Jul-25-18 12:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "anyone who played at a high level can hit it out at will in softball"
In response to Reply # 0

that shit is a joke. You dont need major league talent to hit the ball out of those tiny fields or place it pretty much wherever you want. I played 3 seasons right after HS and probably made 5 outs. Softball leagues are jokes.

November 8th, 2005 The greatest night in the history of GD!

Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59176 posts
Wed Jul-25-18 06:11 AM

3. "Slow pitch softball leagues are jokes"
In response to Reply # 2

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

KiloMcG
Member since Jan 01st 2008
27561 posts
Wed Jul-25-18 11:09 AM

6. "i definitely think it's a joke for an MLB player to be in a softball lea..."
In response to Reply # 2

but for old fat guys that just want something to do? i wouldn't call softball leagues a joke. it's just a good time, if that's your thing.

Amritsar
Member since Jan 18th 2008
32093 posts
Wed Jul-25-18 12:44 PM

7. "I'm in a co-ed one lol"
In response to Reply # 2

guaranteed to get a base hit

Also guaranteed to get stranded on base. Every. Single. Time.

cgonz00cc
Member since Aug 01st 2002
35246 posts
Tue Jul-31-18 11:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
10. "so do i"
In response to Reply # 7

and ive just started GOING on anything hit into the outfield

we have a couple girls who played competitively and ive just decided im going to at *least* 2nd on my own hits, and home on theirs lol

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE

The Real
Charter member
14041 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 10:15 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
8. "Funny story"
In response to Reply # 2

I was still playing adult baseball up until about 5 years ago. One year, my wife asked to play on their work's charity softball team (I was a ringer).

First at bat I smashed the shit outta of it and was thinking I was just going to trot. Only to see the ball fall a few feet short. Next at bat, same thing. I was like WTF!?!?!?

Person told me, "Yeah, they use low-flight dead softballs so people cannot hit homeruns."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dstl1
Charter member
56226 posts
Mon Jul-30-18 11:12 AM

9. "this reminds me of a hilarious episode of King of Queens..."
In response to Reply # 2

Doug pretended to be a lawyer, so he could play on Carrie's work softball team. He's out there crushing the ball and playing ultra-serious on defense. In one game, he ran over the catcher a the plate, lol.

...I'm from the era when A.I. was the answer, now they think ai is the answer - Marlon Craft

bshelly
Charter member
71730 posts
Wed Jul-25-18 06:42 AM

4. "people have been counting out Staff Sergeant Robert Fuentes"
In response to Reply # 0

his entire life.

Usually to their ever-lasting sorrow.

----
bshelly

"You (Fisher) could get fired, Les Snead could get fired, Kevin Demoff could get fired, but I will always be Eric Dickerson.” (c) The God

Nodima
Member since Jul 30th 2008
15297 posts
Wed Jul-25-18 09:24 AM

5. "Listening to Effectively Wild talk about this was great"
In response to Reply # 0

Especially since it dug up this not-old Alex Gordon quote when asked about Butler's "retirement" and playing in the softball league:

"Former teammate Alex Gordon was not surprised to hear about Butler's success in softball. 'Billy's just a natural hitter,' he told The Athletic. 'e liked to drink some beer, too... he'd probably fit right in there.'

Which according to Lindbergh/Sullivan was almost definitely shade thrown at a never very well liked member of any clubhouse in the Majors due to his throwback regard towards fitness and locker room etiquette.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz

Lobby Okay Sports topic #2669215 Previous topic | Next topic